lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR Crash Problems
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Nenjamonky117
Lurker

KOTOR Crash Problems

Hello people of the Lucas Forums. I have a very annoying problem, and am not smart enough to fix it. LEND ME YOUR BRAINS!!

I have just recently thrown myself into the glorious world of KOTOR, playing on the "Best of PC" version. I am in the early stages of the game, and after leaving Dantooine for the first time, i chose to go to Tatooine.

I left the starting area into the Dune Sea, and encountered several crashes. These weren't ordinary, though. When the crashed commenced, the monitor would go blank, the music would persist (if I remember correctly, this might be false) and the whole computer would freeze.

I restarted the computer each time, and only got a few minutes further in until it would crash again. This crash would NOT let me ctrl+alt+del into task manager, it would NOT let me alt+tab, and left me virtually helpless, leaving me with the only option to manually restart the comp.

PLEASE help me, members of Lucas Forums! I am anxious to enjoy more of this fantastic game!
Nenjamonky117 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Hi.

Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
Post your system specs
Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:
  • If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and "swconfig.exe". For each file, right-click on it, select "properties", then "compatibility", check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.
You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that. Also, please specify which version of Windows you are using because the game can't ID anything newer than XP.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Nenjamonky117
Lurker

Ok, posting system specs.

Oh, and btw, I do have XP (proffesional) so i don't guess there's a problem involving this.

LucasArts System Report

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Product

Name Star Wars: Empire at War

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DirectX

Version 9.0c
d3dx9_30.dll Yes

Display devices

Device RADEON X800 PRO
TnL Yes
Pixel shader 2.0
Vertex shader 2.0
Driver ati2dvag.dll
Version 6.14.10.6601
VendorId 4098
DeviceId 19017
Memory 256.0 MB

Sound devices

Device SoundMAX Digital Audio
Driver smwdm.sys
Version 5.12.0001.3713

CPU

Device AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-53 Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~2
Total 1
Speed 2400 MHz
MMX Yes
SSE Yes
SSE2 Yes
3DNow Yes

RAM

Total 1023 MB

Operating system

Name Windows XP
Version Service Pack 3

Drives

Name C:
Device ST316002 3AS SCSI Disk Device
File system NTFS
Total 152625 MB
Available 11647 MB

Edit: Um... it says the product is Empire at War, but it's on the "Best of PC" Disk so EaW is on the same disk as KOTOR. :P

Last edited by Nenjamonky117; 05-30-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Game Difference
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Q
The one who knocks

Give the Dantooine lag fix a try:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
  • First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor(2)\swkotor(2).ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
  • When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
  • Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
  • Under the last line ("last line" as in the last line of the list of entries under "Graphics Options", NOT the last line of "swkotor(2).ini"), add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
  • Goto File, then Save.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Nenjamonky117
Lurker

The crashes seem to be receding, but there are still some. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Q
The one who knocks

You might also want to try installing the newest drivers for your graphics card.

-Toker
Old 06-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Nenjamonky117
Lurker

i've tried this before, but haven't found a way to tell where i can install them from, or if i have installed them.

i apologize, i'm very ignorant when it comes to computers.
:C
Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Q
The one who knocks

Comprehensive instructions here.

-Toker
Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Nenjamonky117
Lurker

I updated the drivers for my Graphics card, but it doesn't seem to help. However, before I did i have already completed KOTOR 1 whilst gritting my teeth through the crashes.

I downloaded KOTOR 2 through Steam, hoping the problems wouldn't persist, but the same crashes occur. That's when I downloaded the new drivers. Do I have to enable something in the Catalyst control center? Or is this a problem unrelated to drivers?

For reference, the crashes occur in various different forms.
- Game will freeze, whilst music persists, then an error message appears for reporting the error, saying the KOTOR 2 has encountered a problem (the usual error message).
- the screen will go blank, then turn blue with vertical dotted white lines, and the computer restarts entirely.
- the game freezes all together, causing me to manually restart the computer.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Q
The one who knocks

Sounds like you could have a bad video card.

Or, it could just be overheating because the heatsink is clogged with dust.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 06-09-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Nenjamonky117
Lurker

Um.. hmm... several times when it restarted, the system screen had an error message that said "CPU Over Temperature Error! Press F1 to continue"

...is this the case? If it is, I want to slap myself in the nuts.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
Q
The one who knocks

Try downloading and installing HWMonitor. It should be able to tell you how hot everything is running.

Your hardware is very old, but perfectly capable of playing the KotOR games. You probably just need to do some basic maintenance on your machine, like dust removal.

-Toker
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > KOTOR Crash Problems