lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [Kotor 1] Game crashes when trying to leave the Sith Academy
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
JediAvenger
Lurker

Unhappy [Kotor 1] Game crashes when trying to leave the Sith Academy

Hi all, I've encountered a severe, game-breaking problem near the end of my game of Kotor. I own the Steam version of the game, which I bought just over 2 weeks ago, and after collecting the Star Map from Korriban and completing those quests (I did Korriban last, following Tatooine, Manaan, and Kashyyk) and upon trying to return to the colony from the Sith Academy my game stopped running properly. I can go into the Valley of the Dark Lords just fine, but when I try to exit to the rest of Korriban my game will load about a quarter of the way and say "saving" before the cursor appears and the game refuses to load any further. I found a couple of other threads that had my exact same problem, but discussion ended before a solution was found, and I have already tried all of the solutions in those threads. The exact problem is in this thread:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=212121

I have already invested 40 some hours into the game at this point and was really hoping to complete the game and do more playthroughs, but I'm completely stumped as to what I should do about this problem. Any and all help will be EXTREMELY appreciated.

More details on my problem as described by the other user:

Quote:
Hi everyone, first post here, signed in hoping there's a fix. Really depressed right now. Playing this unbelievable game for the first time, really trying for the full experience.. I have 96 hours and 23 minutes invested in the playthrough. Went through the planets by the book (Tatooine, Kashyyyk, Manaan, then the Leviathan), and now I'm on lovely Korriban.
So I finished the entire Sith Academy thing, I've spared the Sith Twi'lek and the Academy is all friendly towards me. I'm getting ready to leave for the endgame (never played it, very excited). I'm standing in front of the exit of the Sith Academy, the exit leading towards the "Sith Academy Entrance", leading back towards the colony and the ship.

And I cannot leave! The loading screen appears, says its "Saving", the bar fills up about a fifth of the way - then my cursor appears, the menu music starts and the game kind of freezes.
I say "kind of" because I can still exit the game normally with Alt-F4 (the "do you want to exit" prompt appears like normal) and the Task Manager says its "Running". Its not unheard-of apparently; some fellow even uploaded a video showing it (saw it earlier, will try to link), so I'm hoping it has been solved.

I tried loading a previous save, but to no avail. I'd lowered my graphics settings all the way down, and I uninstalled what few minor mods I had.

I'm running the game as an administrator, in compatibility mode for WinXP Service Pack 2. I essentially installed it like this. The thing worked perfectly fine until now. My machine is an Intel Core 2 Quad, with an nVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (1GB) graphics card, 8GBs of RAM (if additional information is required I will be happy to post it immediately).

I'm assuming its some kind of save-related issue. Please oh please don't leave a fellow gamer hanging on this. 'Been googling for hours and couldn't find a solution: if I sound desperate, its cuz I am. Help me LucasForums, you're my only hope!

P.s. I've been exploring the matter somewhat. The loadscreen says "Saving" when it freezes, but it would seem by the progression on the bar (compared to other successful area transitions) that the game successfully finishes "Saving", then is unable to start the phase it describes as "Loading". When I try to load the autosave produced by the impossible transition, the game returns me to an unresponsive Main Menu (one I'm still able to leave normally with Alt-F4).
***Update: specs posted in reply***
***UPDATE 2: I decided to try starting a new game to see if it was just a corrupted save file, and after rescuing Bastila from the black vulkars, I ran into the exact same problem. I'm worried that my game files are corrupt, and even reinstalling did nothing to remedy the issue. PLEASE HELP***

Last edited by JediAvenger; 07-25-2013 at 06:16 PM.
JediAvenger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
JediAvenger
Lurker

System specs:

Show spoiler
JediAvenger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > [Kotor 1] Game crashes when trying to leave the Sith Academy