lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Moving Beyond Existing EU, Lucasfilm Announces New Direction For Star Wars Canon
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Moving Beyond Existing EU, Lucasfilm Announces New Direction For Star Wars Canon

Link.
Quote:
Many fans expected that this would happen, and today, it has. Lucasfilm has announced that the future of Star Wars canon will not be dictated by the Expanded Universe of the past thirty-six years. As of today, the official, canonical story of Star Wars consists of "the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content [George Lucas] developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars." (This includes the upcoming Darth Maul comic adapted from TCW material.)
Hmm... Good and bad. I'm personally fine with nuking everything after ROTJ.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'm still hoping that the Thrawn trilogy will be largely saved by the fact the new films are quite a bit afterwards and early times not mentioned a whole lot. Other than that I'm totally happy with the NJO getting the big boot. Hopefully Legacy survives for now.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I'm still hoping that the Thrawn trilogy will be largely saved by the fact the new films are quite a bit afterwards and early times not mentioned a whole lot. Other than that I'm totally happy with the NJO getting the big boot. Hopefully Legacy survives for now.
The timeline would have to change like it was in the books. I'm sure they could do a story based on it, but have to take certain liberties to make it work.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
It was bound to happen ever since they announced the ST.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Mildly annoyed that the KotORs have been junked, but in the end this decision is pointless. Sooner or later, official licensing will expand the canon again with the usual supply of sixth-rate rubbish, and we'll be back at square one. Not that Disney actually cares about that sort of thing, of course.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Tsk, tsk......how dare you suggest they care about anything other than money, DI.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Mildly annoyed that the KotORs have been junked, but in the end this decision is pointless.
The KotORs aren't completely junked. It only affects the post-ROTJ era of the Expanded Universe.

The decision doesn't really affect me that much. I only care about stuff that is in the Old Republic era.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Yeah, we all knew this would happen at that The Clone Wars would be part of the new expanded canon. As for The Old Republic era stuff and everything that comes centuries before the movies, it's safe... FOR NOW, however, that may change in the future if they ever want to decide to create something during that era and change things.

I know people don't want to hear that, but considering they haven't explicitly stated that all of that content is safe, no one should expect it to be safe. Of course, with all of that said, the article does say that all of the previous EU content will continue to exist, they're just letting people know that it's no longer canon in any sense in relation to the movies any more. Technically, we now have two canons, one that's tied to the movies and one that aren't.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2014, 05:02 AM   #9
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
The KotORs aren't completely junked. It only affects the post-ROTJ era of the Expanded Universe.

The decision doesn't really affect me that much. I only care about stuff that is in the Old Republic era.
Junked isn't the right word, as this stuff will remain and will still be sold, but it is not canon, and if JJ decides the Jedi have only been in existence for 1000 years then it will no longer have happened officially.

Jennifer Heddle, Senior Editor at Lucas Licencing, or now the Story Group I guess confirmed earlier today/last night:

(These were specific questions regarding Continuity and the new releases, and not specific to KotOR etc)

1. Yes, the idea of all previous EU stuff being "Legends" now and therefore not part of this new canon/timeline being created, DOES include PRE-ROTJ stuff too. It's EVERYTHING but the films, TCW, and Rebels.

2. Heir to the Jedi by Hearne is currently not to be considered "Empire and Rebellion #3," since books 1 and 2 (Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves) are now both "Legends," while Heir to the Jedi will be canonical in the new timeline.

3. The upcoming Son of Dathomir comics will be considered canonical, since they are based on TCW scripts.

4. Yes, the "wipe" does include even the Darth Plagueis novel, and we can assume also the Tartakovsky Clone Wars micro-series, Droids, Ewoks, etc., though there's not been any real focus on determining if any of the older cartoons have any chance at being considered the way TCW and Rebels will be.

5. Fantasy Flight Games is affected in the sense that they appear to not be allowed to create new materials that reference anything they don't want to be considered canonical. No word as of yet on at what point FFG materials will see a cutoff of "Legends" vs. Canon, if there is such a cutoff.

6. Yes, Rebel Heist, despite not yet being out, *is* to be Legends, not canon. The only comic series thus far to be considered canon is Son of Dathomir.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #10
Red Hessian

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
I've been prepared for this ever since Disney took over and, to be honest, I don't give a damn what they do.

I'll still be playing KotOR and TSL and reading Dark Horse comics.

Motion with no sound
Ice inside the fire
The stillness in the storm
Silence hides the sniper

Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
One thing I'm actually curious about is if the film novelizations are affected.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
"While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe."

Well I expect more than a few things finding its way back to official canon. A lot of elements have been cluttering the EU beyond repair, but there's also a lot that wouldn't make sense to disregard. Starwars.com pointed to Rebels already including elements of the EU.

I'm a bit saddened Thrawn won't be considered canon, as I feel it was a big part in Luke's arc and established some great elements in the EU, but again, Thrawn and Mara Jade, to name two, might find their way back to the new canon in no time. Either way, it won't diminish my enjoyment of the stories of the EU I like (but now I'll probably do have to resign to never knowing what happened to Sev ).

Oh, and now no more "Revan Vs." threads, because he isn't canon anymore. Muahahahaha!

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Last edited by Miltiades; 04-26-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
I'm a bit saddened Thrawn won't be considered canon, as I feel it was a big part in Luke's arc and established some great elements in the EU, but again, Thrawn and Mara Jade, to name two, might find their way back to the new canon in no time.

Oh, and now no more "Revan Vs." threads, because he isn't canon anymore. Muahahahaha!
Mara Jade IS canon, man! At least, she'll always be my canon.

And me and ZM90 were having an AWESOME debate over Revan Vs. Thrawn over Skype the other day. We've declared that it'd be a toss-up decided by the opportunities of war...

Personally, I've never given a crap about what's canon and what's not. To me, the EU is home, and I will always enjoy these adventures.

P.S: The only thing I didn't like about the NJO section was having to say good-bye to Mara...

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Does this mean I can stop caring about C-Canon and so on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Technically, we now have two canons, one that's tied to the movies and one that aren't.
To use a similar, if not completely related example that I've raised before, it's more or less the exact position that Paramount/CBS have had with Star Trek and its licensed works for a long time now, Authors and Game Developers have created a rich universe based on the lore of Star Trek, but series creators and executives haven't been defined by it. (though their EU is considerably more messed up).

Leland Chee has done a great job as Holocron Keeper, and I know George has never let himself be defined by the EU he set in motion, but I think his mistake was actively tying the main Star Wars universe into the EU.

And, as others have said, it's not like they're going to go all Fahrenheit 451 on us and burn anything considered heretical. It's all still there for us to enjoy. Even the Holiday Special.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
Shem
Master of the Force

View page
YouTube Video

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Old 04-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
DeathScepter
Rookie

so what you are telling me it is alright for me to disregard the fates of Revan and Jedi Exile within TOR and go with my own demented headcanon?
DeathScepter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
Shem
Master of the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathScepter View Post
so what you are telling me it is alright for me to disregard the fates of Revan and Jedi Exile within TOR and go with my own demented headcanon?
I disregarded Revan and the Exile's fate as soon as I found out what their plan was for TOR. Now it's just official for me.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #18
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
in the end, this can be a good thing. from a writer's perspective, its frustrating at best to find out that your work has been rendered null and void by an established fanbase because you didn't read a book/comic that you didn't even know existed until the hatemail starts flooding your way.

just my two pennies.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #19
DeathScepter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I disregarded Revan and the Exile's fate as soon as I found out what their plan was for TOR. Now it's just official for me.
I am in the same boat with you. I do think if they ever remake Kotor 1 and 2 they should tact on Kotor 3 to make a full Kotor trilogy.
DeathScepter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2014, 01:49 AM   #20
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

*looks at vid*

Planet full of females riding Rancors... what the hell is that ****? Good thing it got canned. I guess it explains TFU though...
Hassat Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 AM   #21
HED
Rookie

I've been working on the assumption that this was the case since the acquisition was announced, honestly.

"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #22
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
Good riddance.

Star Wars has become muddled as **** anyway... the canon used to so simple

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #23
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
from a writer's perspective, its frustrating at best to find out that your work has been rendered null and void
Not if they read their contract.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #24
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

What does that Contract say Alexrd? And not what you think it might say for the purpose of an Argument, what does it actually say?

Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #25
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
What does that Contract say Alexrd? And not what you think it might say for the purpose of an Argument, what does it actually say?
Many years ago (2007/8?), a writer (don't recall his name right now) who used to participate on TF.N boards back in the day clarified that whenever a writer gets the offer to write a Star Wars novel, on the contract there is a clause that stipulates that the story, characters, etc that are created in it belong to Lucasfilm and that they can be adapted, changed or be completely ommited from canon (or something along those lines). IIRC, the issue was brought out when Karen Traviss quit due to some conflict with the way she portrayed Mandalorians or something...

I'll edit this post with the exact quote and respective link if I find it.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #26
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Ok thanks Alex

Old 04-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #27
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
At first I was really upset about this whole thing. Then I realized that the New Jedi Order books completely ruined Star Wars for me. So I'm trying to convince myself that rendering it all non-canon means I can appropriately pick and choose which parts of the EU I like and which I don't. So maybe this isn't a bad thing after all.

Still pretty sure the new films are going to suck. (Naturally I would love for Disney to prove me wrong on that.)

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #28
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Personally I never really put much stock into the stuff after ROTJ. As I said before if they pretty much leave Kyle Katarn and the ancient history up to the bane trilogy of novels alone, I'm not too broken up by it.

I always thought the infinities were an interesting bunch of takes on events in the films. Like Marvel and DC, there should be multiple dimensions. That way there's no conflict of canon and creative license is free to flow, and nothing is marginalized.
I'd love to see an alternate dimension where the alternate ending of ROTS took hold. Or one where Luke and Leia saw Vader redeemed to Anakin Skywalker, and donned the white variant of his armor, as they hunted the Emperor down.

Whatever may come about, I'll watch the new movies even if it hurts and it sucks a golfball through a 500ft. garden hose.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #29
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
It's a shame alot of the good canon got neutralized, though quite frankly I don't really see any other way they could have done this. They'll at least still be canon to me.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2014, 12:53 AM   #30
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
While I admit I was a bit dismayed when I first heard, I think I'll go with what Astor suggested and have a Star Wars multiverse going on in my head.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #31
Shem
Master of the Force

Think of this as a reboot, sort of like how Man of Steel rebooted the Superman movie franchise last year, except that we're just keeping the movies and the Clone Wars animated series.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #32
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #33
Dan Warial
Rookie

I would prefer if they made a sweep through the EU and decided which stories are good and can stay, and which are out. Deleting whole EU like that looks, at least to me, like a lack of respect towards older fans.
Dan Warial is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #34
HED
Rookie

Quote:
Think of this as a reboot, sort of like how Man of Steel rebooted the Superman movie franchise last year, except that we're just keeping the movies and the Clone Wars animated series.
If we're looking for a Superman analogy, Superman Returns would work a lot better than Man of Steel.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #35
Shem
Master of the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by HED View Post
If we're looking for a Superman analogy, Superman Returns would work a lot better than Man of Steel.
Except that Superman Returns wasn't a reboot. They still used the Christopher Reeve story universe.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #36
HED
Rookie

Quote:
Except that Superman Returns wasn't a reboot. They still used the Christopher Reeve story universe.
They ignored everything after Superman II, and kept the things before. Much like they're now ignoring everything after RotJ but keeping the things before.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #37
Shem
Master of the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by HED View Post
They ignored everything after Superman II, and kept the things before. Much like they're now ignoring everything after RotJ but keeping the things before.
That is an interesting way to look at it.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #38
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
We all knew this would happen, at least now the "suspense" is over.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #39
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
It's kinda funny, right now SWTOR is in like some kind of limbo. It's the only piece of legacy EU content that is still adding to the legacy EU content since everyone involved still wants to keep the game alive in order to make all that delicious moneys. That means at some point there's going to be more expansions which adds more to the legacy EU cano...er...not-canon... *looks around*

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2014, 06:54 AM   #40
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
It's kinda funny, right now SWTOR is in like some kind of limbo. It's the only piece of legacy EU content that is still adding to the legacy EU content since everyone involved still wants to keep the game alive in order to make all that delicious moneys. That means at some point there's going to be more expansions which adds more to the legacy EU cano...er...not-canon... *looks around*
I'll try and find the link, but TOR has also been deemed Legends (Non canon), but like you say, they're still gonna want to make money off that lol, Not sure how I feel about this.

(not aimed at Lynk) And before I get the "the EU was never canon" bashing, it WAS considered continuity/canon unless otherwise stated, now, however, it is NOT considered continuity/canon unless it is used in the new Canon ie; Rebels or the films.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Moving Beyond Existing EU, Lucasfilm Announces New Direction For Star Wars Canon