lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Moving Beyond Existing EU, Lucasfilm Announces New Direction For Star Wars Canon
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #41
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Yeah, SWTOR is part of the legends EU now just like everything else. I'm sure all they'll need to do to justify the continuation of the game will be something along the lines of it being the last hurrah for the legacy EU and >insert PR spin here<... which is fine with me lol.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #42
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
The main things I hope they keep from the old post-ROTJ EU are the New Republic and the Jedi Academy on Yavin IV.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #43
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I just realized that until further notice, Korriban will forever be known as Moraband in official Star Wars lore.

Nooooo.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #44
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
I just realized that until further notice, Korriban will forever be known as Moraband in official Star Wars lore.

Nooooo.
Better Moraband than Pesegam. According to the wiki, that was another name for it at one point roughly 25,000 years BBY.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #45
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I haven't watch those episodes yet. Is it a Korriban clone?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 AM   #46
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ Prime: It's exactly Korriban... with a different name.

Though, saying that, that doesn't mean that Korriban still can't be used as the ancient name of the sith home-world... actually, now that I think about it, this brings into question other names and such for various other things that only exist in the old (EU)...

I mean, in the upcoming movies, if there are children of Han and Leia, will they use the already existing names or will they come up with a totally new name for their kids? Is Balmorra, Nal Hutta and Dromund Kaas still planets that exists or have they been wiped clean from all Star Wars lore completely? I get that some things will end up changing in the new canon, but there's a lot of good material that can still be used. Perhaps the same characters won't return in the new stories and we won't see the same kind of events occurring, but I'd hate to see them drop EVERYTHING completely.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:57 AM   #47
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
R.I.P Kyle Katarn.

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #48
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Plus, Boba Fett's dead at this point, right?

Quote:
I get that some things will end up changing in the new canon, but there's a lot of good material that can still be used. Perhaps the same characters won't return in the new stories and we won't see the same kind of events occurring, but I'd hate to see them drop EVERYTHING completely.
Considering one of the first new novels is written by John Jackson Miller, who wrote the KotOR and Knight's Errant comics, we might already see some old EU stuff brought into the new canon. I can imagine for these veteran Star Wars writers it'll be hard to shake off the old EU and they might unwittingly already be writing about planets or starships or whatever else that at this point aren't canon.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #49
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I haven't watch those episodes yet. Is it a Korriban clone?
It is exactly like Korriban. Lucas didn't like the name because it sounded too much like "Coruscant".

I was miffed at first when I heard about the name change, but pacified when they kept it looking just like Korriban as I remembered it. Lucas Film explained it as there are many different names for different places throughout history.

You should watch the episodes - it's a fantastic arc.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #50
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Plus, Boba Fett's dead at this point, right?
I sincerely hope so. So long as they nuke the 'escaped the Sarlacc twice' bit I'll be happy either way.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #51
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Good. Beyond the Thrawn trilogy there's nothing worthwhile in the post-RotJ EU anyway.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #52
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
So he steamroller'd KOTOR games, SWTOR, Kyle Katarn, and parts of the Bane trilogy huh?

Meh. That settles it. So since $$$ is what he's after, I'll vote with my $$$. Have it streamed to my computer for free...someday.

Let everyone else vie for your attention, and jump through hoops to get a chance at writing a piece of your legacy...then take a **** on all of them after raking in the $$$ for royalty. Brilliant bastard, I'll give him that.

That pretty much sums up GL for me, among many others. Am I unhappy? Sure. Am I surprised? Not in the least.

Commandments de George Lucas
Thou shalt not have any colors of lightsaber other than the 4 in the films. Ever.
Thou shalt not have rivals to any characters in the films! Ever.
Thou shalt not have creative license under my franchise without my doting obsessive consultation.--Even if accepted, if thou shouldest create such a work, I shall strike thy work to hell!
Thou shalt not accept that "Han shot first".

I know that's pretty cynical, you would be too if your favorite parts got nerfed.

At this point, just about everything I once held dear is either dying due to this kind of dick-headed executive decision making, becoming obscure and forgotten by time, going obsolete, or something in-between. So to save time and avoid stress, I don't really deign to care much anymore.

All while rule 34 of the internet further ruins and makes a mockery. Of everything. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #53
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

It's not that big a deal... it's not like the legacy EU has suddenly stopped existing and al of the books, comics, games, etc that we own have suddenly disappeared. My copy of Heir to the Empire is still sitting on the bookshelf along with all of the other Star Wars books I own.

If fans still want to hold onto the old EU, they still can. It's still all there, the only difference now is that it's no longer being added to (aside from SWTOR).

Old 05-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #54
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
So he steamroller'd KOTOR games, SWTOR, Kyle Katarn, and parts of the Bane trilogy huh?

Meh. That settles it. So since $$$ is what he's after, I'll vote with my $$$. Have it streamed to my computer for free...someday.

Let everyone else vie for your attention, and jump through hoops to get a chance at writing a piece of your legacy...then take a **** on all of them after raking in the $$$ for royalty. Brilliant bastard, I'll give him that.

That pretty much sums up GL for me, among many others.
And yet, Lucas has nothing to do with this decision...

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #55
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:

That pretty much sums up GL for me, among many others. Am I unhappy? Sure. Am I surprised? Not in the least.

Commandments de George Lucas
Thou shalt not have any colors of lightsaber other than the 4 in the films. Ever.
Thou shalt not have rivals to any characters in the films! Ever.
Thou shalt not have creative license under my franchise without my doting obsessive consultation.--Even if accepted, if thou shouldest create such a work, I shall strike thy work to hell!
Thou shalt not accept that "Han shot first".

I know that's pretty cynical, you would be too if your favorite parts got nerfed.

At this point, just about everything I once held dear is either dying due to this kind of dick-headed executive decision making, becoming obscure and forgotten by time, going obsolete, or something in-between. So to save time and avoid stress, I don't really deign to care much anymore.

All while rule 34 of the internet further ruins and makes a mockery. Of everything. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
People always hate on GL, say he's all about the $$ and such, when he's actually a huge philanthropist and a kid at heart.

BTW, he didn't make this decision... it's not his company anymore.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #56
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Well, all the more reason to embrace the non-canon.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2014, 02:23 AM   #57
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

^^^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
It's not that big a deal... it's not like the legacy EU has suddenly stopped existing *brevity* It's still all there, the only difference now is that it's no longer being added to (aside from SWTOR).
Very true. On the brighter side, I suppose we all ought to nab up non canon stuff that doesn't have the 'legends' banner yet. It's now gone from ordinary collectible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
And yet, Lucas has nothing to do with this decision...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
People always hate on GL, say he's all about the $$ and such, when he's actually a huge philanthropist and a kid at heart.

BTW, he didn't make this decision... it's not his company anymore.
You're right. It's that damn company who took it over.

You mistake my tone though: it was a backhanded compliment. A little unfair perhaps, but a sober assessment.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #58
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
It is exactly like Korriban. Lucas didn't like the name because it sounded too much like "Coruscant".
If that's the reasoning, I can understand. Casual viewers would be a lot more familiar with Coruscant than Korriban. It's just like all those name changes in Game of Thrones.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else betting they'll keep the establishment of the New Republic, but drop its reorganization into the Galactic Alliance?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #59
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
If that's the reasoning, I can understand. Casual viewers would be a lot more familiar with Coruscant than Korriban. It's just like all those name changes in Game of Thrones.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else betting they'll keep the establishment of the New Republic, but drop its reorganization into the Galactic Alliance?
Not sure. Why?

Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #60
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
@ Prime: It's exactly Korriban... with a different name.

Though, saying that, that doesn't mean that Korriban still can't be used as the ancient name of the sith home-world...
Yeah there could easily be lots of hand-wavey in-universe explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon
R.I.P Kyle Katarn.
Kyle Katarn transcends canon. He will always be a part of MY SW universe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former
It's not that big a deal... it's not like the legacy EU has suddenly stopped existing
Yeah, I never really put too much stock in canon in terms of enjoyment. It isn't like Star Wars hasn't been trampling over its own canon for years. The PT contradicted a whole bunch of stuff.

Maybe it is because we are Macross fans that canon and consistency was never relevant to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet
Well, all the more reason to embrace the non-canon.
The Republic comics and CW micro-series are just as much real Clone Wars to me, regardless of TCW show, canon or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium
I would presume so. Hopefully the ST New Republic will not be the debacle the EU version was.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #61
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Not sure. Why?
Because if you overthrow one government, you have to set up a new one in its place, and the whole point of the Rebellion was to restore the Republic.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:06 AM   #62
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Honestly I can't blame them, trying to continue the series in any meaningful way within the constraints of the massive unwieldy EU of wildly varying quality would have been insanity. The EU stuff that I actually like, I like whether it's canon or not. Now I suppose we just have a Star Wars multiverse just like the sorta thing Marvel does. No big deal.

Then again, I'm the guy who, if I'd bought Star Wars, would probably end up purging everything but ANH, ESB, and certain parts of ROTJ from canon. I'm just that XTREME and edgy I guess.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2014, 01:58 AM   #63
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

If they didn't have to nerf the KOTOR games and SWTOR (seriously that far back they aren't really hurting anything) I'd maybe start to support Disney's reincarnation of it. Keeping Kyle Katarn would have been nice too.

But alas, the market is being reset and kiddified as it's marketed to the younger generations now. Knowing my luck if I ever have kids, either they'll be a bit contrary to me and either go magic or star trek...or they will end up liking the Disney reincarnation of Star Wars.

It was naive, though, to believe something like this wasn't going to happen eventually. It has been done in the comic markets.

Right now the retconned stuff is all relegated to "legends", but I imagine soon enough they'll do the multiverse thing as my friend above said and find a way to re-integrate it. I mean, hell they did Soul Calibur 4, and different comics/content companies are doing crossovers all the time now it seems.
Don't like this iteration? Take an alternate dimension of this universe.

Meh...Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Because if you overthrow one government, you have to set up a new one in its place, and the whole point of the Rebellion was to restore the Republic.
Ah. In that case I would throw my tickets in as well.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Moving Beyond Existing EU, Lucasfilm Announces New Direction For Star Wars Canon