lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Looking to start modding
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Twilight Captain
Lurker

Current Game: Bioshock and KotOR
Looking to start modding

Hello members of LucasForums!

I know I am new to the forums but I have lurked for quite a while and have followed multiple tutorials.

I have done:
-Module Creation
-Misc. Scripting, nothing fancy mostly prewritten scripts only modified to fit my placeables and other things names.
-I followed one light saber tutorial but never ended up getting it in game (lack of interest, not the tutorials fault)
-About 10ish Character re-skins, about 15ish other re-skins, 1 area re-texturing

So my question is where do you suggest going from here? I will say my end goal would be to make a multiple area playable side story although I feel like i'm not advanced enough for that quite yet and don't just want it to end as another ghost project as I see so many of around here.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.
Twilight Captain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Create mods that interest you, and not some "potential audience." If a mod can't hold your interest while making it, then it's not worth doing.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
Create mods that interest you, and not some "potential audience." If a mod can't hold your interest while making it, then it's not worth doing.
This is true....what i do when i get bored with a mod im doing is do something else for awhile till my mind says ok back to it...

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD
TSL-O.T.E.--MODELS ON MOD DB......
Show spoiler

OTHER
Show spoiler
Xarwarz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
STARWARSKOTOR2
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
Totally agree with this!

Back in the day all of my mods (despite how bad they were) were something I wanted in my game.
What I found helpful was doing a complete playthrough of both games, writing down everything that I'd like to improve, add, change etc. Once having done so, I got to work. Some of them I could never do due to lack of skill or whatever but after I created a dozen or so changes, I played through the game again and saw how it looked now

[PRESERVED]The "Project Kotor II" Admin![/PRESERVED]
http://projectmod.proboards86.com/index.cgi
-Sith Code
STARWARSKOTOR2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Twilight Captain
Lurker

Thank you all for replies! I will defiantly keep in mind making mods for me instead of an audience. Thanks again I hope you hear from me soon .
Old 05-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Captain View Post
I will say my end goal would be to make a multiple area playable side story although I feel like i'm not advanced enough for that quite yet and don't just want it to end as another ghost project as I see so many of around here.
Could it be the Chosen One? So much wisdom here! This one will go far...

Good luck on whatever you decide to do! I think you are going to do very well here. And welcome to Lucasforums, we're glad to have you!

Sithspecter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Twilight Captain
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithspecter View Post
Could it be the Chosen One? So much wisdom here! This one will go far...

Good luck on whatever you decide to do! I think you are going to do very well here. And welcome to Lucasforums, we're glad to have you!
Thank you SithSpecter that's quite the compliment. I look forward to being here!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Interested to see what you'll create. I always wanted to get into module creation but I don't have the patience for it, and I don't really have the attention span for much of anything that large scale.

Been on hiatus from KotOR modding for a few years up til now, but if you have any questions on texturing or modeling I'll be happy to share what I remember. I learned everything from these forums, so if you dig deep enough you can probably learn everything most of us already know. 8)

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
Twilight Captain
Lurker

Thanks inyri I'll be sure to ask I'm sure you'll hear from me, there's a lot of stuff to sort through. I must also say I love recruit able Kay by for my favorite character replacement mod that I've tried!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Happy to hear it. Poured a lot of time into that mod. Tough work, but satisfying result!

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I definitely echo what others have said about working on stuff you would like and would use.

Also, there is nothing to say you can't work on small mods and then combine them into something larger. I lot of my mods ended up like that. I started with Jedi robes I wanted, and then I knew how so making new ones was easy. I wanted to fight stormtroopers, so I figured out how to make that and then doing clonetroopers was much easier, and so on. Each small mod helps create assets and knowledge that can be put together for larger mods.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Twilight Captain
Lurker

Good point, I never really thought of making smaller mods and then using them for assets of bigger mods... That gives me a few ideas .

Thanks prime!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Looking to start modding