lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Princess Bride?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-29-2000, 01:23 AM   #1
Moribundman

Post The Princess Bride?

I love 50% of American hum"or". Being English I have my own take but being half-American I can also appreciate a lot of US stuff.

And the point of this somewhat dead-end branch is - Has anyone seen the "Princess Bride" (recently released on DVD in the states)? I believe the inspiration for the whole rhyming pirates song in CMI may be derived from Andre the Giant and Mandy Patinkins' exchange with THEIR captain before the "Screeching eels"...

Good derivation anyhoo!
Moribundman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2000, 03:07 AM   #2
lFeigN

Arrow

From my resarch, pirates have always favoured rhyming in their general vernacular. Aside from additions in their syntax (argh becomes AAAARGH!), many pirate songs rhyme. For example, there is that popular pirate tune whose first stanza starts as:

"I went up top to swab the deck,
I then saw the capn was a wreck,
He'd been drinking the briney tar,
Now his eyesight don't go very far"

Then there's the tune about the first mate and the parrot, but how many words can rhyme with "$!#!#@@@"?

Still, "The Princess Bride" is a good movie. When I get married, I want it playing on huge TitanTron monitors in the church. Man, that would kick.
lFeigN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2000, 06:56 AM   #3
LeChuck

I had to read the book during school.

I as pleasantly surprised. It wasnt hard to read or anything. Funny and really entertaining.

I wasnt so serious and didnt take itself as being so deep like the rest of those half-assed books we read in class.

I mean we had to read Huck Finn after PrincessBride, and damn Huck sucks. We had all this interpreting and **** to do. Otherwise its a ok book, but you have to interpret, even in the prologue Twain says dont take the book too seriously, but NOOOOOOOOOOO
our teacher has to look at every little detail.
Really ruins the book.
LeChuck is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2000, 02:58 PM   #4
Ydon

I love The Princess Bride, it's one of my favorite books. The joke about the book being written originaly by a dead author from Florence was good, and I loved the fake "comments on the original version" that were thrown in. It's a briliant and hilarious book. The movie was also good, though completely different.
Ydon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2000, 12:34 PM   #5
Moribundman

Yeah, don't get me wrong, Great book and film. I was just stating that the pirates rhyming song AND (now I think about it) the insults exchanged during the sword fight between Westley and Inigo seem to have inspired Monkey Island!
Moribundman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > MI Chat > General MI Discussion > The Princess Bride?