lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New JK2 X-wing screenshot
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-09-2001, 05:41 AM   #1
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Lightbulb New JK2 X-wing screenshot

the xwing looks quite good.

textures are begininning to shape up well... (i love these ground textures theyre making!)

r2 droids to kill

and THE best thing...... is obviously you can walk around with your saber not ignited, which then furthers even more a theory i posted in another thread...... that you can use the saber handle by itself as a weapon.

now THAT would be 'tee yuu double eff' TUFF

beatings! your time has come buckeye!

----update----

just an update on the 'beatings' thing. i just noticed that he's holding the handle at the top, and so this would be awkward for using as a weapon, unless he were to bring it down like a dagger, or stab outwards. i spose a sort of 'brush of the face' in a forceful manner could cause some damage too.

oh well...... as long as i get to stand in a dark room with an online friend, just facing eachother with saber by our sides, then suddenly ignite them, and charge. sveeeet....

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: GonkH8er ]

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 06:22 AM   #2
rolsen

Quote:
Originally posted by GonkH8er:
<STRONG>
oh well...... as long as i get to stand in a dark room with an online friend, just facing eachother with saber by our sides, then suddenly ignite them, and charge. sveeeet....
</STRONG>
Haha! Damn straight!

Rolsen
rolsen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 09:46 AM   #3
Kumba

Hopefully in the next few shots we'll see the hud take shape, those numbers there really suck.

Wired Lamp Studios http://www.wiredlampstudios.com
Kumba is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 09:54 AM   #4
Sarcastic Saint

This is a little off-topic but is that lightsaber getting less and less detailed.
I mean with every new pic i see where you can see the lightsaber, well it seems to me it just gets less and less detailed.
I mean just make a comparison with that pic where Kyle faces the "camera", so to speak, with his saber in a sort of 'ready' position and then compare it with the latest pic(s) and you'll see what i mean.

"The stupidity is strong in that one"

Sarcastic Saint is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 10:25 AM   #5
nykel007

It's true about the saber, but I like the smooth cylinder, sleek and cool. Do you think from this angle the rebel hanger looks small?
It would be nice to pilot the x-wing, but this isn't XW Alliance.

TriniJedi
nykel007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 11:43 AM   #6
Wilhuf

Re: the lightsaber. I seem to recall Tribes2 did something like this. Early T2 screenshots featured some very detailed textures, but by the time the game was ready (and the textures generalized for performance reasons), some of them ended up not looking nearly as nice as on the original screenshots. Saber looks the same to me, really. Kind of hard to tell at this resolution.

This is the Rebel Base at Yavin 4 right? Perhaps where Kyle meets Luke for an introductory briefing?

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 11:45 AM   #7
Krayt Tion

Mmmmm, sleek cylinder, smooth and gr...

I mean, I appreciate details like this. Now we can really see it thumb to life when it is turned on, like gonk said...

The posturing is pretty good too... the position of his hand on the saber assumes that the 'on button' is near the top of the saber. After all, when you have your saber out in rest position, you want to be able to just flick a finger or thumb at any sign of danger and start the blade as quickly as possible. Thus the hand must be in a position where a finger or thumb can reach the button: the extra second it takes to move you hand in position to do so could be a second too late.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 12:34 PM   #8
nykel007

Hopefully he'll be able to affect the x-wing, you know like cutting off a wing with his l.saber. We already know the environment can be.

TriniJedi
Old 08-09-2001, 12:42 PM   #9
ed_silvergun

Thumbs up

The texture detail on the X-Wing is incredible, and the floor and wall textures don't look too shabby either(!).

I agree, though, the saber detail doesn't look as great as it appears in some of the other screenshots (and, to refer to a point raised in another thread, it also does look a bit too long). One explanation might be that we are now seeing the back of the saber and that the power cells are out of sight. I have to agree, too, that the way Kyle is holding the saber looks a bit odd.

Minor niggles aside, however, another very impressive screenshot. Ooh, I can feel my mouth beginning to water.

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: ed_silvergun ]

Galactic Plumberman - For All Your Liquid Needs
ed_silvergun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 01:08 PM   #10
Seryl Cann

I've looked at the new screenshot a bit closer and noticed there isn't any shadow under the X-Wing. Maybe they are still working on the shadows...

"Not all those who wander are lost"

Seryl Cann
Last Starfighters League
http://www.starfighters.com/lsf
http://www.serylcann.com
Seryl Cann is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 01:20 PM   #11
Krayt Tion

I should have pointed out that it shouldn't matter if there is a saber button at the top, there shouldn't be one so high up.

Balance. Easier to manipulate objects when they are balanced in your hand. In this case Kyle should have a more centered grip on the saber. Doesn't have to be dead center but it should still be moved down some.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:24 PM   #12
nykel007

There isn't much of a shadow under kyle or r2-d2 either. One of two thing are at play here, as said before by SCann the shadows haven't been put in yet, or the room doesn't allow enough light to cast shadows.

TriniJedi
Old 08-09-2001, 02:43 PM   #13
C.H.A.S.

I think the sceen looks very cool, the X-wing is sweet, and I'm looking forward to being able to turn off your saber for more stealth.

"The Fist Of Strength
Is No Match For
The Fist Of Knowledge" by me.
C.H.A.S. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 04:06 PM   #14
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

That was the first thing I noticed. Kyle was carrying his lightsaber, but it wasnt on, probably in some kind of stand-by mode. Cool idea. I also like the X-Wing, nice

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 04:29 PM   #15
Sarcastic Saint

Yeah the "stand-by" thingy accured to me aswell.
Is gonna make sneaking up to people and then activating the lightsaber alot more fun.

As for the shadow thingy, well its fairly obvious that they simply havent implemented them yet or somesuch. no biggy.

Old 08-09-2001, 04:34 PM   #16
Astrakhan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarcastic Saint:
<STRONG>This is a little off-topic but is that lightsaber getting less and less detailed.
I mean with every new pic i see where you can see the lightsaber, well it seems to me it just gets less and less detailed.
I mean just make a comparison with that pic where Kyle faces the "camera", so to speak, with his saber in a sort of 'ready' position and then compare it with the latest pic(s) and you'll see what i mean.</STRONG>
Quake 3 has a Level of Detail system that Raven is probably using to make lower-detailed versions of the same model, so the lightsaber you see at a distance will most likely be a textured box, while up close it'll be more detailed...

/\strakhan
Astrakhan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 04:34 PM   #17
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

Its probably like that because otherwise it would get annoying. Your in a small tunnel or room with your lightsaber out and it just cuts along the wall all the time. This way you could have it ready, but not on . VERY IMPRESSIVE IDEA....just shows what surprises Raven have in store for us.

Old 08-09-2001, 04:37 PM   #18
Astrakhan

Quote:
Originally posted by Seryl Cann:
<STRONG>I've looked at the new screenshot a bit closer and noticed there isn't any shadow under the X-Wing. Maybe they are still working on the shadows...</STRONG>
It depends... Again, from what I know of Quake 3, if the X-Wing can move or be destroyed, it may not get shadows. If they make it into a solid piece of architecture, it will eventually get shadows.

/\strakhan
Astrakhan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 04:39 PM   #19
Tre Lightshadow

It might just be my computer, but this shot looks a little grainy, it's hard to make out the details, so maybe that's why the saber looks not very detailed.

"I do not kill, I do not destroy, unless need be. I am here to preserve life, if anyone should stand in my way, let them show themselves."
Tre Lightshadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 04:40 PM   #20
Syndrix

I want to know what is wrong with the HUD. I think it is good (even though it is likely to change), clear and precise. The numbers tell you in a second what you have in reserve. I hated the HUD in JK, so unfriendly, you couldnt tell exactly how much force you had left, and who needs a big HUD taking up space. I prefer weapon displays that "hide" after you have chosen a weapon and only come back up when you go to select a new weapon.

Genius is limited, unfortunately stupidity is not thus so.
Syndrix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 04:41 PM   #21
Sarcastic Saint

Heck who cares about the shadows....once you're standing infront of an X-wing you'll probably try to cut your way into the cockpit.
Well that is....i will....

Old 08-09-2001, 04:43 PM   #22
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

I hated the HUD in JK aswell. Id like the HUD in JK2 to stay. But it defiantly wont, Raven already said before E3 that they intend to change it as this was just to keep track of the values in the demo etc.

Old 08-09-2001, 04:43 PM   #23
nykel007

Speak the truth, brother.

TriniJedi
Old 08-09-2001, 04:46 PM   #24
nykel007

I hope you be able to turn off the HUD. They are like small eye sores.

TriniJedi
Old 08-09-2001, 04:48 PM   #25
Sarcastic Saint

Mmmm...i just noticed something in the pic.
If you look on the, somewhat, upper right side you'll see a staircase leading to a door....i wonder...maybe they keep the lockerrooms there, you know so you can change into a flightsuit.

Old 08-09-2001, 04:58 PM   #26
Wilhuf

OT, but I liked the HUD in Jedi Knight. The idea of using a number that exactly quantifies your Force level just doesn't seem very 'Force like.' I'd rather it be a graphic, such as a bar height, than a number.

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:13 PM   #27
Syndrix

Ah, but now you are crossing the universe with player input. The HUD has nothing to do with the environment or continuity, the JK HUD was obtrusive and inaccurate. I like the numbers because they are clear and streamlined, none of this 1/4 of the screen being taken up by an ambiguous regenerating blob.

Genius is limited, unfortunately stupidity is not thus so.
Syndrix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 05:15 PM   #28
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

That was another reason why Half Life got good reviews because it had a tine hud.

I remember the Starcraft HUD taking up 1/4 of the screen which was really annoying

Old 08-09-2001, 05:20 PM   #29
Wilhuf

Heh try Force Commander's HUD. Took up about 1/3 of the screen. And if you removed the HUD from the display, you couldn't access certain commands via keystrokes! And it had this really slow animation whenever you removed it.

Wilhuf

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Old 08-09-2001, 06:02 PM   #30
Krayt Tion

I liked both the JK and DF HUDs. I found the visual representation of force mana very helpful in JK. I couldn't imagine it being represented only by a number.

Heh try Force Commander's HUD.

Most slow. bloated. HUD.

Ever.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:35 PM   #31
X-Vector

Krayt, Wilhuf, I'm with you guys.
I personally loved the HUDs of both DF and JK and want JK2's HUD to mirror them as precisely as possible.
As for the current 'HUD', it really isn't one.
It's just two numbers in ugly fonts positioned at the bottom sides of the screen - a placeholder HUD if you will.

About the screenshot: it looks OK, nice to see that Raven got the 'dirty' look of the X-Wing right, it's pretty nicely textured as well (although there's still some room left for improvement).
I *do* believe there is something of a shadow under Kyle, a hardly perceptible fuzzy blob but I think it's there, it looks slightly darker than the ground texture.

Dark Forces Forever!
X-Vector is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 08:24 PM   #32
magnus

I think Kyle is holding the lightsaber just right. It's easier to see when he's using two hands.

It may be a tad long compared to other sabers on the field, but you gotta admit it looks cool...

btw... I changed mi name, mkay...

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Teemto ]

magnus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 08:33 PM   #33
Wilhuf

Wink

Bigger and longer is better! Better range to make the lightsaber feared and respected.

Wilhuf

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:28 PM   #34
Vagabond

First off, that X-Wing looks bad ass. I hope they model some Y-Wings, and perhaps some A & B Wings as well. Heck, maybe toss in the odd, highly-modified YT-1300 Corellian transport, just for atmosphere

Second, I concur with Wilhuf and Krayt that the HUD in Jedi Knight was very good. The only bad thing about the JK HUD was that as you increased the resolution, the HUD got unreadably tiny - if they keep the same HUD for JKII, they need to scale the HUD up on the higher resolutions so that its absolute size remains constant, thereby keeping it readable. I hope the current HUD is just a place holder for the real thing to come later - the current HUD is just to plain vanilla for me.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:33 PM   #35
Vagabond

Quick nit-pick:

Aren't the X-Wing's rear landing gear supposed to extend from the casings of the lower engines? They do in the X-Wing model kits. The rear landing gear in the image look odd, to me, because:

1. They appear too close together
2. They don't extend from the engine casings

Did anyone else notice that?
Old 08-09-2001, 09:52 PM   #36
Moses

What I like about the hud now is that you can see your force recharging (Or in game turns, feel yourself regaining strength). In JK it seemed like a long time before you saw that trickle of red dots become a thin red line, and then multiple red lines, and then a thick blob. This at least assures you that YES, you ARE going to be able to use more Force today.

Strong am I with the force, but not that strong.
Moses is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 11:22 PM   #37
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarcastic Saint:
<STRONG>is that lightsaber getting less and less detailed.</STRONG>
No, we have not changes the lightsaber at all since the first screenshots. This is probably just a different angle than you're used to seeing. Plus we have LOD's (Level-Of-Detail) built into the models so that when they're farther away, they use less polys.

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
ChangKhan[RAVEN] is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2001, 11:24 PM   #38
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

Quote:
Originally posted by Syndrix:
<STRONG>I want to know what is wrong with the HUD.</STRONG>
We haven't done one yet.

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
ChangKhan[RAVEN] is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2001, 12:38 AM   #39
ZeroXcape

One of my main concerns with with JK was the way the HUD was setup. I really don't mind the sheilding display was setup, but one thing I couldn't stand was the way the Force was monitored. I always thought something better could have been done besides the orange blob in the bottom right corner.

A HUD that I really enjoy is Half-life's. Maby it's because I'm used to it, but the large, transparent numbers are quite nice. They aren't at all obtrusive, they are organized fairly well, and they are pretty darn easy to customize

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: ZeroXcape ]
Old 08-10-2001, 02:49 AM   #40
bsbuckeye21

Quote:
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]:
<STRONG>...</STRONG>

I think we've all been waiting forever to be able to do this! ^

Thanks for the info, ChangKhan[ R A V E N ]! Hehe
bsbuckeye21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > New JK2 X-wing screenshot