well seeing after posting this several other places, I got a nice version stored as a txt file heres my idea for DF3 (**not JK3**)
Right the games will firstly be a mix of tribes, and battlezone style play, It will be in the middle, as tribes is too focused on the fps, and battlezone was too focused on the vehicles (imho). But whatever, it will be a rts meets fps blend!
A command speeder lands on a terrain map, with only background fixed buildings, followed by a shuttle and some soldiers/jedi with lvl 0 equipment, also accompanied by 3-4 worker droids. the command speeder is controlled by a player, the worker droids are ai, controlled by the commander (the player in the speeder). The soilders/jedi are all player controlled (or bots for sp).
- The worker bots are needed to help construct flat backed prefab structures delivered from space. (some groovy cool drop features possible here) With out them you can't actually build so guard them wif your !life! (btw you can order them from above, but they are Very expensive)
- You need to control command points domination style to earn points used for ordering stuff. The longer you hold them the greater the rate of points earned.
- The commander in the command speeder gets a nice overhead view, or chase cams to look about. He has a lot of communication abilites and is needed to order equipment/buildings, without him you can not gain extra stuff. tho the bots will auto repair stuff. (to make games quicker comm dies/ game ends options should exist). so both he and the bots are vulnerable to being assassinated (read the hunted style play). But the bots can be captured to, so hostage rescue style gameplay there.
- The structures. each one is a mini map in itself, with corridoors etc that can be navigated.. They are fixed and so when they are deployed they will always be the same no matter what map.(if the maps can be randomised, then this will add some map learn ability.. which some like.. tho editing should allow for alternate versions of these to be designed and deployed on a random map, adding map editing to the mix, their should be different types availiable to start with).
- These structures can be destroyed in a number of ways, Sequencer charges internally(the quickest way) from assault from out side, made hard by shielding, and by the buildings being tough)
- The stuctures are needed for all sorts of purpose, from small little bunkers, to power
structures needed to power shield generaters and auto batteries (also landable). and most importantly rts style factories (although viewed as landing platforms, and walker control platforms) instead of real factories)
- The vehicles, simple range of SW vehicles, minimalist number, devided into speeders, hover tanks(rebels); walkers(imperials); fighters. each needing a seperate platform to gain access to. (ohh ATATs should exist as a kinda ultimate weapon.. but really expensive most of the game should be atst scaled although they should have artilery which is slow, not very tough but deverstating to structures.)
- The speeder plant gives access to lvl 1 equipment. And the hovertank/walker gantry to lvl 2
a diverse range from blasters to repeating blasters(the imp thing in ep5 used to try to attack the falcon) and concusion mortars which are mini artilery. which needed to be fitted to stands (ie on combat speeders (lvl1) or onto tripods, or onto bunkers)
- This is really the least well decided part tbh. I am toying with either 3, or 2 classes. Either jedi and nfers, with nfers having access to all weapons, and all vehicles, and jedi to the force but limited weapons, and only lvl 1 vehicles. or with pilot/scout, soldier, and jedi class. with pilots having access to some weapons (eg sniper weapons) and speeder bikes and fighters, and with soliders having access to heavy weapons, walkers or hover tanks.
mixed up in the rebel v imperial action are the bounty hunters, which is 2-5 players who are neutral. there job is simple, kill players to earn cash from the other side, to buy weapons/ships, to earn more money. with the enemy commanders able to place down special bounties on specific people.
The idea is really to mix, RTS elements with FPS elements. for a game that contains elements from several fps gameplay modes like CSs DE (blowing up enemy structures), UT/tribe2s Domination (controlling command points), the hunted (guarding the command speeder) rescue the hostages (well kinda, capturing the builder droids), and a healthy bit of fragging fun in side the structures which play like DM arenas. But blended together to allow for strategy to creep in rather then just tactics, as multiple their can be many approaches to attacking them
The gameplay balanced would really need to be emphersised round exterior = vehicle combat. Internal being more standard dm. with external combat on the ground being hard due to sniping. as player speeds will be realistic.
Balance between jedi and nfers will be simple, vehicles only controlled by nfers are best outside, and a nfer can grab a speeder get him self to a structure. a jedi is vulnerable outside, but inside he will be far deadlier then a nfer, so needing team work to get a nfer to take you there. (although jedi speeds in exterior combat will be fast.. so they can get involved in jedi v jedi jk style dm.. tho a sniper could annoy them
As for the specifics, well its not hard to imagine really, atsts, snowspeeders, mortars, and large landing pads ala rotj dropping in from space, providing you wif new equipment, and a nice place to dm
[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: KillerBee ]