lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Shacknews QuakeCon Jedi Outcast Overview
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-14-2001, 06:12 PM   #1
Wilhuf

Thumbs up Shacknews QuakeCon Jedi Outcast Overview

Atari. at Shacknews brings us his impressions of the Jedi Outcast demonstration at Quakecon.

Some comments on the Force Powers demonstrated:

Quote:
Jedi Push - You could push enemies off of balconies and around the room.
Jedi Pull - You could pull an enemy towards you only to slice him up with your saber.
Jedi Jump - Jump super high!
Jedi Knock - Knock on a far wall to distract the enemy.
Jedi Confuse - Confuse the enemy into not even being able to see you.
Jedi Shock - Shock your enemy with a very powerful bolt of lightning “Raiden” style.
Jedi Choke - Choke your enemy with this choke move. (When being choked, your POV raises into the air.)
Check out the Overview. Thanks Shacknews.

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2001, 06:17 PM   #2
wardz

oh wilhulf you da man! fresh news. comments in a mo..

wardz

ok back, this looks quite promising, especially with the AI, they look semi intelligent and what really caught my eye was the
Quote:
Jedi Knock - Knock on a far wall to distract the enemy
its gonna be like Ben Kenobi on the DStar, this ties in with the more "stealth" approach they are taking on the game.

also we appear to get some binocluars heopfully as standard, which means that we wont need to use the Stormtrooper rifle instead, thats a nice feature.

Hopefully we will have at most about 5 more force powers, 12 would seem like a good number to be playing with, although I'm sure many will disagree ...

wardz

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: wardz ]

Welcome to JKII.Net.

Please keep sig size to a minimum : )
wardz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2001, 06:37 PM   #3
Wilhuf

Ya the Stormies sound like they are a bit more coordinated in Jedi Outcast. Maybe even competetive with the marine Grunts from Half-Life?

I like how the point of view moves up during the strangling Force Choke.

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2001, 07:16 PM   #4
wardz

agreed,

But do you not think its little details like that, (choke) and the saber scorching the walls make the game great, hopefully they will implement a bevvy of other features that will catch people'a attention..

wardz

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: wardz ]

Welcome to JKII.Net.

Old 08-14-2001, 07:50 PM   #5
Darth Simpson
Fudgy Cakes of Doom

Thumbs up

Thanks for the heads up Wilhulf.

This game is sounding sweeter by the minute. I'm especially impressed with the lightsaber fighting. Sounds like Raven really hit the nail there.
Darth Simpson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2001, 08:30 PM   #6
Obi Kwan

Everyday just seems to get better and better with this game! Not to put a jinx on things, but we've been very fortunate to have a semi steady stream of info about this game since E3. There hasnt been more than a week without some new tidbit of info to keep us salavating! Lets hope it continues Thanks for the link Wilhuf!

Thats my Hammond XTP aka The All-Nite Groove Machine
Obi Kwan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2001, 11:00 PM   #7
ed_silvergun

Thumbs up

Sounds excellent. What gives me great confidence is that so many people who are not great Jedi Knight or Star Wars fans are all saying how great this game looked.

Galactic Plumberman - For All Your Liquid Needs
ed_silvergun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2001, 03:41 PM   #8
Syndrix

Quote:
Your Jedi Powers were useless against him as he would block your throws and pulls. Throwing your lightsaber at him was not a good idea either as he would knock it out of the air, causing you to have to retrieve it.
Now this sounds interesting, does it not? I assume he "blocks" you saber throw just like a blaster bolt, except he knocks it out of the air. Perhaps this is what was in the that screen shot, of the opponent catching their lightsaber

Genius is limited, unfortunately stupidity is not thus so.
Syndrix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2001, 08:21 PM   #9
DeathBoLT

Quote:
from shacknet review
Your Jedi Powers were useless against him as he would block your throws and pulls
pulling is blockable? maybe that means choke is blockable too seeing how its a telekenisis power..

wonder how that will done

either way i hope absorb protects against power induced damage but imobilization.. especially since taking too much damage seems to knock the saber from your hand..

wonder if that will be a way for jedi to disable gunners..

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: [eVe]DeathBoLT ]

#nar
irc.enterthegame
#nar.. THE channel for Jedi Knight 2 players
DeathBoLT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2001, 08:48 PM   #10
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
they way the EU, and maybe the orig. trilogy talked, it sounded as if jedi were immune to force pull, but not force push, cause it talks about how jedi cannot have their sabers pulled from them, but then obi wan is pushed by maul, so, thats what i figgured.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2001, 09:09 PM   #11
SlowbieOne

Didn't I read somewhere you can block bolts automatically, and reflect them back using force block? Maybe that is how you can block pull or grip. I wonder if it will just be a block button, without using force for saber duels. If not, I hope they improved the auto-block greatly.
SlowbieOne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2001, 09:14 PM   #12
wardz

SLOWBIE

blocking is auto, but for a small percentage of mana you can send it back straight to them, whereas before it will go in a random trajectory...

wardz

Welcome to JKII.Net.

Old 08-17-2001, 06:02 AM   #13
access_flux

these force powers beat the hell out of the ones that were in JK1 hey?

'If the animals could play hardcore, we'd be better friends instead of eating them with chips'
access_flux is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2001, 04:16 PM   #14
wardz

Yeah, you're not wrong.

Not just the actual powers but the way they work, they become more of an extension of the Jedi rather than just another weapon.

They also appear to be a bit more starwarsy looking at the animations also from the E3 video and the screenies.

wardz

Welcome to JKII.Net.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Shacknews QuakeCon Jedi Outcast Overview