lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: What maps from JK1 would you want remade?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-25-2001, 06:37 PM   #1
Astrakhan

Post What maps from JK1 would you want remade?

So, it appears that while folks from Raven do occasionally post, they don't generally lead any discussions. I guess that leaves it up to us to volunteer whatever information can be provided.

There's been some interesting conversations on lightsaber moves, force powers, game types, etc, but I was wondering what maps from Jedi Knight 1 (and Mysteries of the Sith) people want to see remade into JK2 maps. I played the hell out of JK single player, but didn't get any real netplay in, so I'm personally not too familiar with them myself... The reason I ask is not just to get people talking, but I personally think it would be fun to recreate some of the favorite JK1 maps if Raven didn't do so. But of course if Raven reads this thread and puts all the favorites into JK2, it would make people happy and save me some work to boot.

Apologies if this topic has been posted already.

/\strakhan
Astrakhan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 06:43 PM   #2
Bartolo_JCS

BGJ and Oasis remakes

Bartolo_JCS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 06:44 PM   #3
Jolts

None. Out with the old, in with the new.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 06:50 PM   #4
Bartolo_JCS

oh yea and this one too <a href="http://jcs.planetjs.com/Files/jk files/JCS.zip">jfdkla;</a> try it out

Old 09-25-2001, 06:53 PM   #5
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

I agree with Jolts, if they just add old stuff then there will be no chance of anything good like that again.

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 06:55 PM   #6
Myxale

Smile

I would like to see the " Maw Duel Level.

and the Superstructure Level...
Fron the MP..Bespin loading terminal...

An Ewok taste like a clown...a bit funny!!!
Myxale is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 07:03 PM   #7
Boba Jim

NOT OASIS AGAIN!! NEVER NEVER NEVER......but a larger version of spaceport would be nice.

Me on the set.

My lovely voice
Boba Jim is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 07:05 PM   #8
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

They probably have spaceports, smugglers dens etc anyway. That is what will be fun about multiplayer. Like in ST:V EF, that had all the locations of Star Trek. SO JK2 will probably have all the main locations of Star Wars, but better.

I think it would be real cool to fight in a smugglers den full of traps etc

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 07:07 PM   #9
Bartolo_JCS

they should remake maps from Dark Forces I shoot, like the Fuel Station omg that map owned

Old 09-25-2001, 07:19 PM   #10
Astrakhan

Yeah, I don't want to be denied anything new, but if there is even one favorite JK1 map that could be recreated with a massive update, I'd love to see it (or make it).

Any other Dark Forces maps to mention? There were never any multiplayer ones of course, but some of those rocked too.

/\strakhan
Astrakhan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 07:24 PM   #11
nykel007

I must agree the fuel station was good.

TriniJedi
nykel007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 07:36 PM   #12
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Well, I would say don't remake any of the old levels - but I think I agree with Bart that some of the original Dark Forces SP maps would make some interesting conversions to MP - with some redesign.

As for the rest, I'd like to see...

1. A ship-to-ship boarding level in space - which could fit nicely into a CTF context. It could be Empire vs Rebel over secret plans, or two pirate teams out to steal each other's loot.

2. An underwater city/installation level - maybe Otoh Gunga revisited?

3. A level with lots of ice - maybe an assault-type level re-enacting part of the battle of Hoth. And I mean slippery ice.

4. Maybe...just maybe...a Sulon farmstead level, with Kyle's team trying to take back his old home, while a Tusken team defends. It could even be done in a CTF context if Kyle's team had a large enough ship as a base, parked not too far away. If the farmstead team wins they keep the ship, if the ship team wins, they keep the farm.
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 11:22 PM   #13
SlowbieOne

I say none from JK. Leave that to the modmakers.

However I think Jabba's Palace, Homestead, Throne Room,Cloud City/Gantry should be included, but remade more like the movies. I think they should focus on actual locations. Those levels were my favs cause when I was in them, it felt closer to home.

With the new engine they can make these levels look phenomenal.

That's not to say I don't want some new ones. (Jabba's Sail Barge, Theed/Generator, Ewok Village, and a ton more I can think of.)
SlowbieOne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2001, 11:59 PM   #14
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I wouldnt mind a huge town map for large games, where every building is explorable, perhaps even with multiple floors.

But I'll bet my rig that as soon as we've played some of the sabers only mps raven is making us, we'll all but forget about silly old BGJ...

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2001, 03:10 AM   #15
Fruitloop

I personally think an SP pack that had the original Dark Forces levels put into JKO would be pretty cool. Heck, an SP pack that put those levels in JK would be cool. (I don't say conversion because it'd be pretty dang hard to convert the DF levels to JKO )
Fruitloop is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2001, 05:43 AM   #16
Kurgan

Thumbs up

I would rather the converted JK/MotS/DF1 maps be a sort of unofficial/unsupported free addon released later, done by the team of course, or as a patch later.

I'm more concerned that they focus on making great original levels right off the bat. That stuff would be cool, but it's less important to me than brand new stuff. A kind of "best of" collection... as a reward for those who got the game.

Kurgan
Old 09-26-2001, 12:00 PM   #17
Syndrix

I agree with Kurgan.

Oh, and NOT BGJ and Oasis remakes.

Genius is limited, unfortunately stupidity is not thus so.
Syndrix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2001, 01:03 PM   #18
magnum

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Fruitloop:
<STRONG>I personally think an SP pack that had the original Dark Forces levels put into JKO would be pretty cool. Heck, an SP pack that put those levels in JK would be cool. (I don't say conversion because it'd be pretty dang hard to convert the DF levels to JKO )</STRONG>
Well, I'm working on a DF->Quake converter. Currently, I have completed the importer, and have 65% of the exporter. I didn't yet made the corrections to the scale of the textures, nor finished the routine that converts completely the sectors from DF into Quake brushes. I figured it out the last week how to finish it but hadn't enough time...

In the meantime I'd post some screenshots:

Importer Output
<A HREF="http://200.16.202.235/~magnum/df-quake/shouldbe.jpg" TARGET=_blank>

Click to Show the Biggie one</A>

What QERadiant shows
<A HREF="http://200.16.202.235/~magnum/df-quake/inquake.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
Click to Show the Biggie one</A>

By the way... help, anyone?

EDIT: I also want to do JK, but the geometry is a "little" more complex. Any help from anyone that know something about it, will be appreciated. I already tried the sites from the JK level editors, but they remain silent

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: Magnum ]

Does someone knows Mara Jade's ICQ#?
magnum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2001, 02:05 PM   #19
Krayt Tion

I would prefer they put their time and effort into giving us fresh new levels. If they find themselves twidling their thumbs with nothing to do at some point then I say go ahead and do some remakes. I wouldn't support a remaking of Dark Forces levels, I wouldn't want to change anything from those marvelous set of levels. As for a conversion, well, I still enjoy playing through DF as it stands. But keep up the good work with that. I am in full support of a remake of BGJ and CO- provided 99.9% of those level's content becomes completely new
Old 09-26-2001, 02:08 PM   #20
Boba Jim

I'll say it again in the hopes that Raven hears it.

I want a map maker program that's easy to use and let's you create new maps like putting together building blocks. Then you can concentrate on the details and graphics work rather than the technical issues. Something that includes libraries of objects, walls, textures, etc. and might be used to create multi & single player maps for a number of games including JO, ST:V EF, etc.

Me on the set.

My lovely voice
Boba Jim is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2001, 07:21 PM   #21
ReAcToR

I would like to see every map from both Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith, but especially the Capture The Flag maps from Jedi Knight. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the levels from Dark Forces if they spruced up the primitive architecture and even alot of the maps from Shadows of the Empire. As far as what we get in singleplayer, I don't really care, I think Raven/LEC will do a good job with that on their own.

Bartolo: I remember the old JCS map. We used to play that for hours back in 99 and 2000 I believe. While they're at it, maybe they could do a few of my Jedi Knight multiplayer maps as well.
ReAcToR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2001, 09:01 PM   #22
OnlyOneCanoli
Paranoid Bandroid

None of them. They weren't that good compared to what came out of the mod community. I'd rather use their precious time by making fresh, original maps.
OnlyOneCanoli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2001, 10:43 AM   #23
nykel007

Magnum those shots look impressive. It's wether the levels can be imported into the game.

TriniJedi
nykel007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2001, 11:10 AM   #24
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneCanoli:
<STRONG>They weren't that good compared to what came out of the mod community</STRONG>
Like Drazen Isle!

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2001, 05:59 PM   #25
KillerBee

imho most jk1 levels wont work in jk2, if they change the dynamics.
also converts always suck.. keep jk2 new.

(and I will kill anyone who makes an oasis mod for jk2)
KillerBee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2001, 06:05 PM   #26
Bartolo_JCS

I recognize that level there Magnum Are the death star plans still intact?

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Bart-=[JCS]=- ]

Old 09-28-2001, 03:08 AM   #27
Binary

Most of the multiplayer maps from Jedi Knight were disappointing. Canyon Oasis was one that definitely got played A LOT though. It would be cool to see something like a Canyon Oasis 2. I definitely wouldn't want to see the same map, but an expanded version with some similar elements from the original would be great.

Binary is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2001, 02:21 PM   #28
Kurgan

My favorites levels from Jedi Knight deathmatch were in this order:

Blades of Death (best)
Nar Shaddaa Loading Terminal
Bespin Mining Station
Valley of the Jedi Tower
Canyon Oasis
Battleground Jedi (least)

BGJ and VOTJ are forgivable because they are saber levels, but still... Canyon Oasis was simple, and fun, but I enjoyed it a lot less than the others.

CTF Maps ranking (just because I feel like it):

Challenge At Nar Shaddaa
Arena of Dark and Light
The Duel

They are all pretty good, although "The Duel" is pretty small.

The last thing JK2 needs is a "Canyon Oasis" expansion (we already have a billion of those in the JK editing community). If it was simply a copy of the level in JK2 that would be fine, but I'm sick of levels that try to "expand" on it, but end up throwing off the balance and ruining the "feel" of the level (which just about all of the mods I've seen have done, or else they just change the textures... yeah great idea there).

Kurgan

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]
Old 09-28-2001, 05:59 PM   #29
KillerBee

BoD!?!I found that very very dull.
ff you could control the surges and then destruction combo people as they came out of the doors. It was really constrictive because all the action had to pass through one room, that room had lots of ammo, was close to some health/shields, and had 2 surges in.

loading terminal was ok, it just was kinda dull for flow, it didnt have any real gameplay bugs..

Bespin wasn't imho at all fun. its just too tight, its the worst possible ff level due to its total and utter lack of anything that really needs jks extended dynamics

Oasis, is very simple, but its also very open, and has rapid elevation changes which works nicely with force jump, it can be spanned quickly as well using strafe jumps.. its just nice and quick.. and really really works with the force, nf its lame tho.

VotjT was imho a campers paradise.. you can snatch the ss and your surge with ease, making yourself invulnerable, as long as you stay in a door well and away from drops.

BGJ tho I don't like much either, its too small..

my list would be
Oasis
Nar
BGJ
Bespin (its atleast half decent with nf..)
BoD-Votjt baaaaad levels.
Old 09-29-2001, 01:16 AM   #30
Fruitloop

Yeah, I'd have to agree with the whole new content thing. I too would rather see Raven concentrate their efforts on never-before-seen stuff than conversions of older work. My original post was made under the impression that we were all talking about what maps and MOD packs we'd like to see the community make.
Fruitloop is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2001, 04:39 PM   #31
Myxale

Red face

The Fallin Ship....

imagine the Level in Q3 Engine...WOW

An Ewok taste like a clown...a bit funny!!!
Myxale is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2001, 07:54 PM   #32
ReAcToR

Regardless of what people want to see, you'll probably be seeing every JK DM map ported to JK2 and maybe a few of the JK CTF maps as well. I don't see this as anything but positive. JK had some great maps and I don't see anything wrong with trying to have fun in your favorite old maps from JK in JK2.

Mesa Order:

The Challenge At Nar Shaddaa - NF
Bespin Mining Station - NF
Canyon Oasis - NF or FF
Blades of Death - NF
Nar Shaddaa Loading Terminal - NF or FF
Arena of Dark and Light - NF
Valley of The Jedi Tower - NF or FF
Battleground Jedi - NF or FF
The Duel - NF

Although I love NF and FF, I would have to say that I enjoy playing most of the levels in NF and think that the majority of levels were horrible in FF.

The only levels that I think worked excellent in both NF and FF were Canyon Oasis, Valley of The Jedi Tower and Battleground Jedi.

You just don't get the full effect of the Force when you play enclosed levels. With the larger, open levels, you can take the Force to a level where you can't in any of the other levels.

Quote:
They are all pretty good, although "The Duel" is pretty small.
I never could stand that map, although it was good for beginners to learn with. I think the hidden elevator room ruined it for me.

Quote:
BoD!?!I found that very very dull.
You found it dull, because you actually played it using Force.

Quote:
Bespin wasn't imho at all fun.
Because you actually played it using Force.

Quote:
Oasis, is very simple, but its also very open, and has rapid elevation changes which works nicely with force jump, it can be spanned quickly as well using strafe jumps.. its just nice and quick.. and really really works with the force, nf its lame tho.
I think it's the only good gun map that worked excellent with NF and FF. It's not fun in NF if you're playing with these new-schoolers though, with their leave packs and other pansy stuff. DeathBolt knows how Oasis is meant to play.

Quote:
VotjT was imho a campers paradise.. you can snatch the ss and your surge with ease, making yourself invulnerable, as long as you stay in a door well and away from drops.
Agreed. Although that doesn't matter much in NF, it mattered a great deal in FF. I love the secret FF jumps in that map though.

Quote:
BGJ tho I don't like much either, its too small..
I've always seen BGJ as the perfect FF map. It took FF to a new level. There are hundreds of advanced jumps and easily has the best verticle movement of any map(in FF).

I'm looking for options with this game. Hopefully everyone else will come around and sing this tune soon also. Throwing the JK maps into JK2 wouldn't take too much effort, if Raven doesn't do it, hopefully someone else will.
ReAcToR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2001, 08:17 AM   #33
KillerBee

I have played all the levels nf and ff.. nf itself I don't like, seeing it has nothing that makes it worth playing imho, ff is just much better, and so playing nf when you could play ff is just a mystery to me. (well nf guns, I can see the point in nf sabres..)

As for levels, nf or ff bespin and bod aren't in anyway great in terms of gameplay imho.
the maps dont flow too well, they have focal areas that you can't avoid, stupid little rooms that are death traps that you have to go through for normal movement. there are much better No Fun^Wforce maps made by the community, or in Q3/UT/other nf games.. which are on a whole much better then nf jk.

BGJ I can see why people like it for ff, I just never liked it as much as Oasis.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:32 PM   #34
techsurfer

Lightbulb

I reckon they should only remake mulitplayer maps that were good like Cloud City and Death Star Throne Room. These were great cos they were replicas of the film scenes so it made them fun.
techsurfer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > What maps from JK1 would you want remade?