lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Jedi Knight Vs. Jedi Knight II Multiplayer Capability
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-02-2001, 04:50 AM   #1
slave01

Post Jedi Knight Vs. Jedi Knight II Multiplayer Capability

I was just wondering if the multiplayer will be as fast paced and masterful as in the original Jedi Knight. I've played JK for years, and it is by far the best damn game ever created (sp and mp). I just hope that the next one does it justice in terms of physical game play.

"Don't let yourself become attached to anything that you are not willing to walk out on in thirty seconds flat, when you feel the heat around the corner"
slave01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2001, 01:04 PM   #2
ReAcToR

I feel the same way. JK is easily my favorite game, and there isn't much that I haven't played. JK's gameplay was the greatest and I've always considered AvP or Quake 2's the second best.
ReAcToR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2001, 05:35 PM   #3
Tap[RR]

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Master*:
<STRONG>I was just wondering if the multiplayer will be as fast paced and masterful as in the original Jedi Knight. I've played JK for years, and it is by far the best damn game ever created (sp and mp). I just hope that the next one does it justice in terms of physical game play. </STRONG>

HAVE you PLAYED any other games other than jediknight? I seriously suggest you PLAY a couple games, before declaring jk the best damn game ever.. I mean it was cool to actually be able to use 3rd person and 1st person and wield the saber, BUT the netcode sucked, sabers sucked, and it wasnt very well balanced. Basically, you run, get the conc kill everyone and backpeddle superfast, that isnt very balanced. Im praying that raven will make jk2 as diffrent from jk as possible!!!! Also, i dont mind the game being fast paced (in terms of the weapons being very damaging, IE 1 swing saber kill or close to that amount of damage), and all but i DONT wanna see people being able to backpeddle as fast as forward.
Tap[RR] is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2001, 06:38 PM   #4
KillerBee

"HAVE you PLAYED any other games other than jediknight?"

Yep

" I seriously suggest you PLAY a couple games, before declaring jk the best damn game ever.."

I did

" I mean it was cool to actually be able to use 3rd person and 1st person and wield the saber,"

that wasn't even the start of what made jk good.

" BUT the netcode sucked"

Yep

", sabers sucked,"

partially

" and it wasnt very well balanced. Basically, you run, get the conc kill everyone and backpeddle superfast, that isnt very balanced."

nope

" Im praying that raven will make jk2 as diffrent from jk as possible!!!! "

yep

"Also, i dont mind the game being fast paced (in terms of the weapons being very damaging, IE 1 swing saber kill or close to that amount of damage)"

jk wasn't actually like that, killing people actually took more then a single shot, kills actually required the combination of skills, stopping them being able to regain health/shields by controlling items, and doing as much damage as you could in the breif encounters.

a person after all had 100+5*30 = 250 health, and 200 shields..

", and all but i DONT wanna see people being able to backpeddle as fast as forward."

I do.
KillerBee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2001, 07:02 PM   #5
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
As long as they put some great bots in for some intense offline MP saber battles, I'll be happy.

It looks like the scale of the levels is going to be there, so I guess it's a matter of item placement and carefully considering the use of the Force.

Let's just say, I don't think JK2's MP capability will be worse than JK's. It will more likely be better.
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2001, 08:15 PM   #6
slave01

LOL [TAP] RR, yes i have played many games, including cs, halflife, all the Rainbow six games, dark forces, AvP, XvT, and many others. Yes Jk had some faults, but for its time it was the shiznit, and unsuprisingly, it beats most of the crap that is coming out these days...Counter strike is the most popular mp game to date, but i would much rather play JK than cs ANYDAY,(but i am behind a firewall ! I loved JK so much because it wasnt just a game you could play, it was a damn art. You talk about the guns in JK, well if u know anything about JK, you know that there are FF guns, NF guns, FF sabers, and NF sabers. JK was similar to many games in the guns aspect, but not ONE, not a SINGLE SOLITARY game comes close to the FF sabers action in JK. Thats all i really played, and if u played as much as i did, you would know that after a while it becomes and art. I spend 95% of my time playing JK, runnin mach 2, and force jumping across the levels, and choping people in half with my saber in mid air. Sh*t, you can kill people in a fraction of a second, and dissaper from sight in the other 9/10. Name one game that even matches that sh@t. The amount of skill and practice it takes to perfect that, and become masterful at it, is what makes JK top notch over anything. I just hope raven doesnt screw it up! Oh, and anyone who thinks jk sucked, is either on crack, or has some king of psychological irregularity, as a result of a screwed up child hood...

"Don't let yourself become attached to anything that you are not willing to walk out on in thirty seconds flat, when you feel the heat around the corner"
Old 10-02-2001, 10:14 PM   #7
KillerBee

I still prefer a good game of ff guns to ff sabres..

Anyway what I've learnt is lots of more casual gamers don't like jk, it requires effort to actually play well, and when they come up against a decent player they usually seem to go, f*** this and go and play something easier.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:26 PM   #8
Myxale

Lightbulb

I bought my JK on the first day of relase.
I just uninstlled it 2 times...an onyl to change the Pc ( a better machine).

It is the most poverfull game ever was made for gamers...
A fast and blistering MP...
and a never get bording SP...

Outstanding level desing ( sure today you will find better.)
But in the past ...one of the best ever made for games.

So you see that JKO have a lot of facts to master...to become accepted by the community....

An Ewok taste like a clown...a bit funny!!!
Myxale is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2001, 02:22 AM   #9
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I'd have to agree they did quite well on SP level design considering the engine they used.

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2001, 03:13 AM   #10
StephenG

Jedi Knight was a the best game AT ONE POINT! but now there are far better games out now- i've play over 100 games and Jedi Knight is NOT the best.

have you tryed
-Diablo 2
-Deus Ex
-Operation Flashpoint

these are far better than Jedi Knight

Dieu me pardonnera. C'est son motier. (God will forgive me. It's his job.)
-Heinrich Heine
StephenG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2001, 03:59 AM   #11
GonkH8er

Diablo 2 - excellent single player for many. Multiplayer lacks to most people i know. And imo, its just a diablo clone. i played diablo, and i didnt mind it. it was a good game for its time. I felt diablo 2's gameplay was just like diablo all over again, and the graphics seemed to be a bit dated.

Dues ex - same case. astounding SP. but MP was just a shoddy patch addon and it was well structured. deus ex was not a good MP game. As good as deus ex was (and imo it was damn good)...... i wasnt fully satisfied afterwards, even after getting through most of it in realistic mode. a lot of people, like me, really thrive on a good multiplayer fragfest now and then

cant say anything about OFP. havent had a chance to play it, but what i will say is that JK had excellent single player and fast paced addictive MP action.

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: GonkH8er ]

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
Old 10-03-2001, 06:51 AM   #12
KillerBee

OFP is not bad, its just a real army sim again, but a good one.
I haven't played its mp as yet tho.

JKs got the best non planar game dynamics of any fps, only AvP comes close, when playing as an alien.

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: KillerBee ]
Old 10-03-2001, 07:30 PM   #13
slave01

Diablo 2? I wouldnt waste my time or my money and that code. Dues i have seen never played, and i have never heard of the other one u mentioned. And it depends on what aspect of JK you guys are talking about when you say there are better games. If you are talking about graphics...Obviously, there are better games, that is a product of the newer game being developed with newer technology. But come on guys, be realistic, JK is 110% unique in its force-based mp game. I agree with whoever said that it takes serious practice, time and hence SKILL to be even moderately "good" at the game. Thats what makes it so bad ass, anyone can play diablo or counter strike, or rogue spear, and kill somebody, but in JK, if you didnt know what you were doing you were a screwed monkey within the first 10 seconds. Nothing comes close to JK. I cant believe you would even think about JK and that piece of crap diablo in the same stream of thought.

Old 10-03-2001, 07:34 PM   #14
slave01

hmmmm, I seem to recall that Jedi Knight received game of the year by the majority of the major gaming magazines. Diablo? whats Diablo?

Old 10-03-2001, 08:52 PM   #15
KillerBee

its hardness to learn is also a down point.. it makes it good for people who love it, and really s**ty for breeding elitist twats, and isolating newbies.

and you should know what diablo is, really...
Old 10-03-2001, 09:03 PM   #16
slave01

no thats not a down point, thats a perk, the way i see it. I want to play a game that takes serious skill and practice, not a game that any old newbie can play, and kill you at that. The first time i played cs, i was killing people, but the first time i played mp jk, i got schooled. Thats what makes JK so bad a$$, or should i say a true game. If everybody could play basketball, then what would be the big deal about watching the games, or paying the bastards hundreds of thousands of dollars to play? But unfortunately, basketball is a game, and takes practice and acquired (and natural) SKILL. ie: there is not much skill in putting the little gun sight on the other person and clicking the mouse button.

Old 10-03-2001, 09:58 PM   #17
Denise

Fellas, "best" is so subjective it's not even worth arguing over, one way or another. :P
Denise is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2001, 10:26 PM   #18
slave01

blah blah blah, where are the true JK fans at?

Old 10-03-2001, 10:31 PM   #19
stars are bright

Quote:
no thats not a down point, thats a perk, the way i see it. I want to play a game that takes serious skill and practice, not a game that any old newbie can play, and kill you at that. The first time i played cs, i was killing people, but the first time i played mp jk, i got schooled. Thats what makes JK so bad a$$, or should i say a true game. If everybody could play basketball, then what would be the big deal about watching the games, or paying the bastards hundreds of thousands of dollars to play? But unfortunately, basketball is a game, and takes practice and acquired (and natural) SKILL. ie: there is not much skill in putting the little gun sight on the other person and clicking the mouse button.
Excellent said Jedi! I agree with you totally! When I first played JK I got r*ped sooo bad at everything. The amounts of training and developing your skills is the best part of the game. It does isolates the newbies from the experts yes, but hey, all experienced good players started of as newbies.

And plz stop the whole JK vs. Diablo thing. JK=Action and Diablo=Strategy. That'd be like comparing Football to Chess. Both can be very amusing, but they're not the same at all.

hubba hubba
stars are bright is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2001, 11:11 PM   #20
Denise

"Blah blah blah"?
Classy. Witty. A stunningly brilliant retort. Real smooth.

Thank you, sir, for making my point.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:05 AM   #21
slave01

Now now, no need to get pithy! I was just noticing the lack of dedication to the original game. Ironic...this being a web site dedicated to its sequel.

I agree you cant compare the two games, thats what i said before, diablo is a totally different game, and it sucks, so thats two strikes against it. LOL, sorry diablo fans

stars are bright - You are cool

Old 10-04-2001, 12:15 AM   #22
stars are bright

My name on this board is so &*$#@^ing GAY. how the hell did i come up with that?

But i agree.. too many people forget that JK1 actually had a LOT of positive points that should not be left out in JK2. It surprises me how many non-JK1 players come here and only talk about gunning, totally forgetting about aspects like FF and sabers.

hubba hubba
Old 10-04-2001, 12:23 AM   #23
slave01

I agree, the force and the saber is what made the game, other wise it was just Dark Forces, with better graphics. In my opinion, if u didn't mix it up with the force and the saber, then u didnt really play JK. Come on, do Jedi Knights really keep conc rifles and rail detonators under their cloaks? (even though they come in very useful in sp. Oh, and denise: Blah blah blah.

Old 10-04-2001, 01:18 AM   #24
BluRR

Jedi, I have to agree with you, JK was an excellent game in its day, and is still a fun game to play from time to time. I loved how it took time to master certain skills, whether it was guns or force. But let's face it, the game is 4 years old. The technology is dated.

I don't however agree with your comments about CS. I believe that CS takes a lot of skill. Sure, you can rack up a few kills your first time playing, but can you really become a pro right after you start? I dont think so.

If you have a decent computer, and a good connection, I'm sure you'd appreciate what developers can do with video games nowadays, and will like what Raven will do with JKO.

PS ~ I used to live in Billings. Nice to have a fellow Montanan posting on these boards.

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: BluRR ]

~BluRR
BluRR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2001, 02:57 AM   #25
Denise

Quote:
<STRONG>Now now, no need to get pithy! I was just noticing the lack of dedication to the original game. Ironic...this being a web site dedicated to its sequel. </STRONG>
And all people are trying to point out to you is that while JK is a great game by most measures, sure, it doesn't have to be the "best game ever". Not when peoples' tastes are subjective and the field of competition is so large.

That's it. Now, maybe you'd prefer to make an --unwinnable, as it's a matter of opinion-- argument of it, and I'm sure you'll respond to this with another Blah Blah Blah™, but there it is.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:35 AM   #26
slave01

Its a good thing you put that tm after "blah blah blah", otherwise i would have been forced to sue you. I respect everyone's opinion, but when people start saying that cheap games are better than JK i get angry . ANYWAYS, i just like jk for the simple reason that its been the best game Ive ever played, and ive played across games across a wide spectrum. Jedi Knight is just so original compared to all you Counter Strike games, and Command and Conquer wannabes. But i guess if you didnt play JK everyday for hours on end, then you dont have the understanding to see it.

Old 10-04-2001, 05:18 AM   #27
GonkH8er

Stars- you can go into your profile at any time and change you name. Not you login, but the name that shows to everyone else here.

How bout something like BriGhTsTAr?

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
Old 10-04-2001, 05:26 AM   #28
BluRR

Quote:
<STRONG>But i guess if you didnt play JK everyday for hours on end, then you dont have the understanding to see it.</STRONG>
Some of us didnt have time to play JK every day for hours on end.

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: BluRR ]

~BluRR
BluRR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2001, 06:07 AM   #29
StephenG

"it's the best game ever"- this means best game that was ever made.

Just because JK is original that doesn't mean, "it's the best game ever". Just because CS isn't original that doesn't mean JK is better. Last time I looked CS had 16,000 people playing it.

Jedi Knight WAS a good game, i say again- WAS, WAS, WAS, WAS, WAS a good game.

There are better games out there that should be called "the best game ever".

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: StephenG ]

-Heinrich Heine
Old 10-04-2001, 07:25 AM   #30
KillerBee

Being hard to learn is good for the people who play it still.. however 90% of people who play games don't want a game that takes weeks before you can even get a single frag.
they want to dive straight in and be competative, you can do that in CS, or UT, you get in, you might not be very good, but you arent totally wiped out, and people like this. where as I like having some challange to learninig a game, the vazt majority like something they can get stuck into straight away.

And Best Game Ever, for a person is the game that out of all the games they have ever played has brought them the most enjoyment it is highly opinionative in nature, and the nearest you can have to a general concensus on the best game ever (ie more the one persons choice) is to take a look at % of the market cornered at time of release/height of play.. Cause I would guess there are more people now playing CS, then were actually playing PC games when jk was released.. seeing thee number of poot game players keeps increasing, the Bestest game of all time based on number of players will just go to the latest game, where a bunch of AOL llamass all started playing when they got a new poot.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:56 PM   #31
Kurgan

Wink

16,000 people playing Counter Strike (the half life mod)? That makes it the 'best game ever'? Something tells me there's more people playing games like Starcraft, Diablo/2, and the MMORPG's...

Battle.net alone is huge, and no FPS's on there...

Kurgan
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2001, 02:23 PM   #32
StephenG

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan:
<STRONG>16,000 people playing Counter Strike (the half life mod)? That makes it the 'best game ever'? Something tells me there's more people playing games like Starcraft, Diablo/2, and the MMORPG's...

Battle.net alone is huge, and no FPS's on there...

Kurgan</STRONG>
it didn't say CS was the "best game ever". read it again.

-Heinrich Heine
Old 10-04-2001, 05:42 PM   #33
Kurgan

Thumbs up

No, that is true. You didn't really say any games were the best games ever.

I guess I should have phrased it "even if a game has 16,000 people playing it, that doesn't make it the best game ever."

I believe it was PCGamer who called Half Life "the best game ever." Jedi Knight I believe also had that title at one time. IMHO, it's too subjective a statement to begin with.

I know you didn't say CS was the best game ever, but you implied that it was better than JK because more people were playing it right now (if that wasn't your intention, I apologize for my presumption) which is why I countered that there are other games that have more people playing them. ; )

Kurgan
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2001, 06:18 PM   #34
slave01

LOL, you guys have to look at the conditions of why counter strike is so popular. Did you ever stop and think, that maybe one of the major reasons that it is so popular is because it is FREE. I have been playing CS for a while, and i have never paid a dime to play it. (dont get me wrong, i like not paying for software). Go to www.zone.com, you will still see people playing JK. And YES, ill-dedicated JK players, JK is one of the best games (IS THE BEST GAME TO DATE), because of its originality and uniqueness. Lets see, games like counter strike...(Rainbow 6, Rogue spear, doom, doom2, doom3 quake1, quake2, quake3, and those were just the once and currently popular games. How about games like Command and Conquer...(star craft, all the civil war gmaes, wwII games, moder war games, i mean come on, there are TONS of these types). Now lets see how many games are like JK ( ummm, lets see, hmmmmm, ...NONE!) If you dont look for originality in a game, then you should cancel your member ship here, and start playing solitaire. I mean sh$t, its basic human logic. Would you want to drive a car everyone has, or a car nobody has. Shop for games like you shop for your women (if you have taste)...Look for originality!

Old 10-04-2001, 06:22 PM   #35
slave01

Basically, i just judge a game by overall gameplay, originality, taste, pure 100% quality, and a bad ass story line (star wars!). And i guess the reason why i think JK is the best game out to date, is because, while other games have there perks, none of them come close to any aspect of Jedi Knight. You cant compare a game that came out last month to JK that came out 4 years ago. However, if you look at the game that came out one month ago, and visualize what it would have been 4 years ago, then you have the grounds to compare it to JK. And belive me, none of them would stack up. Thats common sense.

Old 10-04-2001, 08:09 PM   #36
stars are bright

yeah... The only thing I dont like about JK nowadays is the "hacking", but hey CS's got aimbot too . I even kinda started enjoying playing with the lag, u get so used to it and it becomes part of the fun game .

JK's just fun, because of the skill u need to learn and the fast and frentic gameplay. FF is just friggin fast... And nf sabs took me almost a year to get "elite" ... I've been playing Q3 for 3 months and I already won a tourney and beat some "sponsored" player.

hmm..it could also mean I'm some sort of Q3 talent.. anybody wanna sponsor me? ....

I'm gonna rename my name to somethign macho.. RAMBO or w/e

hubba hubba
Old 10-04-2001, 08:35 PM   #37
StephenG

Quote:
<STRONG> JK is one of the best games (IS THE BEST GAME TO DATE), because of its originality and uniqueness. Lets see, games like counter strike...(Rainbow 6, Rogue spear, doom, doom2, doom3 quake1, quake2, quake3, and those were just the once and currently popular games. How about games like Command and Conquer...(star craft, all the civil war gmaes, wwII games, moder war games, i mean come on, there are TONS of these types). Now lets see how many games are like JK ( ummm, lets see, hmmmmm, ...NONE!) If you dont look for originality in a game, then you should cancel your member ship here, and start playing solitaire. I mean sh$t, its basic human logic. Would you want to drive a car everyone has, or a car nobody has. Shop for games like you shop for your women (if you have taste)...Look for originality!</STRONG>
i say again. just because a game is unoriginal that doesn't mean it's crap! CS has been going for a few years and still going strong with over 16000+ players. JK multiplayer got boing after a year for me and about (not quite sure) 3/4 of jedi knight owners.
i dont want to argue with you, i'm just stateing facts.

-Heinrich Heine
Old 10-04-2001, 08:40 PM   #38
KillerBee

"How about games like Command and Conquer...(star craft, all the civil war gmaes, wwII games, moder war games, i mean come on, there are TONS of these types"

actually thats very wrong
inside the RTS gendre their are games with large numbers of unique features that make them stand out, TA is my particular choice, because its fast, and uses a different skill base to other RTS. instead of concentraiting on the clicking skills of selecting units to attack, its far more dependant on resource gathering, etc, the logistics.

Most games have unique features, some change gameplay dramatically, and make them play differently from other games inside the gendre, but essentially jks gameplay is still move about, get powerups and kill other people, It just does it in a way thats different.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:41 PM   #39
slave01

LOL! 3/4 of the jkers are bored with the game? Show me the demographics that prove that, and i will believe you. And if they got bored then they either didnt become good, they got frustrated and said screw it, or they just dont know a good game when they see one. And what do you mean originality doesnt play a big role in the game? If you arent gonna play an original game, than why waste the money to buy a game, thats like 25 other ones that you have. But hey, its people like you that keep the gaming industry alive, so by all means, spend on.

Old 10-04-2001, 08:48 PM   #40
slave01

killerbee, i am not talking about the particulars of the game, i am talking about overall uniquness....red alert looks just like star craft (i know ive seen them), except instead of being on war-torn earth, you are on some alien planet surface fighting alien things. I will agree that games like red alert take alot of pratice and strategy and skill to play them effectively, but I think it sucks that there are so many games that are of the same base. To me the particulars dont matter, its the general base of the game. The point i am trying to make is that no other game has a base like Jedi Knight's multi-player force saber game. And that single fact alone (not to mention that its totally bad a$$, and unmatched), makes it better. Ofcourse thats minus the soundtrack, storyline, levels, force abilities, blazingly fastpaced action, etc, that JK offers...(in a way that no other game does) .

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Jedi Knight Vs. Jedi Knight II Multiplayer Capability