lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Zone...No zone
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-10-2001, 06:13 PM   #1
Mafia_Jabba

Thumbs up Zone...No zone

I think zone should support JK II...I liked the zone for its community and interactivity.

Every Man Dies, But Not Every Man Truely Lives
-check yoru grammer
Mafia_Jabba is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2001, 06:21 PM   #2
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

Yeah it was alrite.....but i thought there was already one of these threads....maybe i was wrong?

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2001, 06:23 PM   #3
Mafia_Jabba

Is there? I didn't know...I hope zone supports JK 2 though

-check yoru grammer
Old 06-10-2001, 06:46 PM   #4
OnlyOneCanoli
Paranoid Bandroid

MSN Gaming Zone
OnlyOneCanoli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2001, 07:19 PM   #5
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

I dont care how many threads there are though.....just leave that for the moderators to worry about, at least this way theres fewer posts to read through!!!!

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2001, 10:22 PM   #6
matt--
Network Un-exploder

LFN Staff Member Notable contributor 
Maybe people should search for posts before they do themselves. Especially when they are new.

Welcome to the forums however.

LFNetwork and LucasForums.com
matt at lfnetwork dot com
matt-- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2001, 03:41 AM   #7
DeathBoLT

matt, Mafia Jabba would not have the opportunity of contributing to the MSN Gaming Zone debate in a previous post as it was closed due to out-of-place arguments occuring on it.

The zone has some nice aspects, "everyone thats anyone knows everyone", ease of communicating(zf), tightness of community. I like dedicated servers tho - and how it would be worked into the zone I'm not sure. The way multiplayer UT is set up isn't so bad- anyone in a clan is going to be relatively good. its the newbies that are generally clanless. its problems are that its so hard to keep up with people. ive become dependant on ladder to define whos good and who isn't good simply b/c its so hard to tell due to the looseness of community. on the zone, u could tell where someone was by adding them to zone friends and clicking on their name. UT has a simliar option in its chats, but what if the guy isn't in a chat? or if u don't know what chat he/she is in if they're in one?

im sorry if my thoughts are coming off a bit scatterbrained.. im not thinking to clearly tonight

#nar
irc.enterthegame
#nar.. THE channel for Jedi Knight 2 players
DeathBoLT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2001, 05:03 AM   #8
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
i kinda liked the zone for reasons stated above. you could talk to people, just get a few people into a room for a chat... and so on

the only things i didnt like were the constant bickering and name calling and the fact that you could only have 4 in a room, unless you altered your sys reg

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2001, 01:27 PM   #9
DeathBoLT

the reason only 4 are allowed because thats what the games most stabile with - its ok at 8, but it gets unstable after anymore

i think a battle.net type setup would work well - my friends list happened to be a sheet of paper with people's account names, but u could always enter in '/who is therename' and find out what game/chat they were in. it'd be great if they worked a zf in in the sense that u could add ppl's account names to a list and just double click on their name to do the equivalant of a who-is command..

#nar
irc.enterthegame
Old 06-12-2001, 02:43 PM   #10
Swoosh
reporting for duty

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, I think a battle.net/tribes 2 room system would be ideal. You have the community and the speed with the dedicated servers. Also, you have the ability to automatically download any patches when you first login. Dynamix and virtaully eliminated all cheating by using that system. Hopefully we can see something like that.

Swoosh

mtnLab
LFNetwork Graphic Designer
Swoosh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2001, 12:15 PM   #11
Boba Jim

I've been playin CTF in EF a lot lately and I've come to the conclusion that the pure server connection is not the best. Sure the zone has its problems, but there needs to be some sort of lobby where you can set options and connect with people within your specific game group before the game begins.

All the pure server stuff makes it very difficult to get smaller games going with specific people who start together. In team games, there are constantly people jumping in and changing sides. This completely defeats the purpose of team games. At least in the zone you could prevent quick joiners and play the game with the folks who started it and agreed on the rules. Something else needs to be set up to bring the game participant controls back to the host. I know of the web sites for this, but they just don't solve the problem.

As it is now, it's virtually impossible to get a new game going as the server. Instead the only realistic option is to join one of the existing servers. Those always seem to have up to 16 of 20 players. That sucks when you want to play a strategic match cause they're just a frenzied blast match with someone behind every corner.

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: Gonk Droid ]

Me on the set.

My lovely voice
Boba Jim is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2001, 03:22 PM   #12
Mafia_Jabba

I like the togetherness and stuff

-check yoru grammer
Old 06-19-2001, 04:48 PM   #13
Krayt Tion

I'll pass. Never could I go to the zone for 'community.' I suppose this is because I could never chum up with the 13 year olds that were spamming homophobic rhetoric and trying 'fight the power' in front of sysops or whoever the admin types were. Nor was I ever into the clan scene. The two most popular uses for JK on the zone have no appeal to me. Yes, I'm stereotyping, so flame away.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2001, 04:53 PM   #14
SithSeeD

Zone was kind of fun though. More windows based. you can multi-task and do other things while you chat or get ready to play a game on the zone. The in game system in Tribes 2 is cool, especially if JK 2 gave players their own little page like they did in T2.

Oh and by the way Jabba... that so called "War-face" scares the crap out of me.

SithSeeD
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2001, 05:18 PM   #15
NeJJa

i play jedi knight and some UT
i just enter UT chatrooms and stuff
i have no clue who the good clans/players are

you go into Nar and you can tell after about 5 min.

^^^the above post is likely off topic^^^

"save the concussion rifles"
NeJJa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2001, 05:19 PM   #16
GEJoeSolo

battle net can <insert profaine words here>

the zone was the best beacuse of it's comunity. battle net lags like a drunken cow with 3 legs.

GEJoeSolo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2001, 06:07 PM   #17
Mafia_Jabba

Oh it scares you?

-check yoru grammer
Old 06-19-2001, 07:35 PM   #18
Boba Jim

Yeah the Zone had problems, especially the gimps in the chat area. You could ignore that though. What you really need is a private chat room / waiting area for the game your setting up. Then you need the lists of everyone looking to play at that moment, the ability to add certain players to your personal lists, and the all important block quick joiners function. Only that way can you really "connect" with other players and know how to hook up with these compatible opponents later. You'll know what kind of game your getting into before hand and team play would be greatly enhanced. That also allows you to ignore and avoid the gimp factor so prevalent there.

I don't think I ever used the chat bar at the bottom of the zone 'cause there was always some mindless babble going on there. However, I always used the zone message functions to contact players I already knew to set up a game.

As it is now, EF games are little different from playing bots because you don't know who your playin against. At least at the zone you could categorize players into your own list so you would recognize the people you played against.

Me on the set.

My lovely voice
Old 06-19-2001, 08:04 PM   #19
Bartolo_JCS

you guys know battlenet scans your hardrive without your permission right?

Bartolo_JCS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2001, 08:39 PM   #20
DeathBoLT

im not actually talking about HAVING battlenet host it.. im talking about something with that sort of setup without the junk blizzard does without u knowing and without the horrible lag.. Diablo 2 lags. Diablo don't which operates on the same hosting system JK relies on. if we remove the 'host your own game' and have dedicated servers run by indpt. ppl you avoid the lag battlenet has b/c everything hosted is hosted by them and you get a better thing than the zone

#nar
irc.enterthegame
Old 06-19-2001, 10:34 PM   #21
Morpheus

zone = lag

'nuff said

-The All Powerful M

"I saw a city in the clouds."
Morpheus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2001, 03:46 AM   #22
Mafia_Jabba

not really...zone isn't lagged its your own connection dude..and the game's netcode

-check yoru grammer
Old 06-20-2001, 04:50 AM   #23
GonkH8er

personally, i quite like the tribes 2 setup..... list of servers at your disposal you can refresh, in game forums, auto-clan manager (good so you can make sure ONLY the people you want are in your clan). all the clan tags are yellow so you can tell who's just smurfing the clan name. theres also an irc client in game, which is very cool, and you can make chat rooms and organize.

one of the best features is the in-game email though. you just address the email to the other person (their alias) and it goes to them.

theres also in game news, and player/clan lookup

theres a few bugs in it, but its pretty damn good.

something like that would be nice..... seeing how there will probably be a lot of clanners

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
Old 06-20-2001, 05:43 AM   #24
Lucky

the Tribes 2 setup sounds pretty good. Zone is ok, the prob with it is that its run by people that don't play the game at all, also they can't punish any of the snotty lil things that happen.

The community should be policed by the community, not some moonlighting people from chess.

They end up being inept at controlling flooding, and super strict about the occasional profanity, and they miss out on the majority of offenses.

Kali worked pretty well. When someone got out of line, there was a bot that kept a text record of every chat all the time, and logged it all. so all you had to do was to point out the problem, and the person lost their serial for good and couldn't ever play on kali for more'n 15 min at a time. Zone gets haxored in 3 min, cause there's so lil crap on yer comp.

Anyhow, I'm looking foreward to heading back to kali and just visiting the other community centers after JK2 is released.

Lucky

PS:
Lucky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2001, 05:56 AM   #25
SnaKe

wasnt the zones bandwidth cut? i remember back in da day when i'd get on the zone it didnt lag that much... now its lagolicous.

anyways... a UT type setup would be nice... but with like a z/f that has file transfer or somthing. Thats one thing i hate about the zone, no file transfer or anything. oh well.

--SnaKe--

http://graphicsshop.tripod.com

SnaKe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2001, 07:33 AM   #26
GE_Luke

yeah well I play on the zone, played Tribes 2 and played UT, and from those three IMHO the zone comes out best.
Next comes T2 but UT just isn't that cool if you look at mp capabilities.

I've tried building up a clan for UT but that never worked out because you've got this HUGE list of servers, so the chance of clicking the one server on which your friend is playing, is like supa dupa minimum.
And if you never play together because of this, there'll never become a 'bond'.

T2 is very mp supportive but I think it misses one thing: just internet!

How many times on the zone have you got people playing a new lvl, or new mod?
You hop into the room, see them play a new lvl, quickly surf to massassi d/l and press join! The same for clansites, T2 has got a little clan-info thingy but nothing's as good as a real site with files etc.

In T2 you have to go back to windows.. yeah u can leave T2 on but it'll eat up all your memory , and it costs much time...

If they'll make JK2 with some sort of T2 mp support and add browsing/downloading in the game then I think that would be the best

GE_Luke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2001, 12:13 PM   #27
Wilhuf

Q3 tech allows model, skin and level downloading directly from servers.

Just login to the game server. If both the client and server have enabled downloading, you can download the map directly from the server. Of course both client and server can disable this to conserve bandwidth.

Of course you can also just as easily browse a q3 or elite force mapping site and download and install maps, skins models, etc., just as you would for Jedi Knight.

BTW Quake3 was just updated yesterday to include an in-game updater. Also the network code was reprogrammed to give better compression (~5:1 compression) for better online play (especially for modem players). Presumably this tech will find its way to Jedi Outcast.

Also, GameSpy 3d has a 'buddy finder' so you can find your game buddies if they are on a server that is posted on a master server list. Just as easy to find your teammate as in the Zone. Try it for Unreal Tournament. You'll be able to find your clanmates easily.

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2001, 02:43 PM   #28
Mafia_Jabba

I'd like to see someone create a CLOSED community..invitational only..where members can be admitted and kicked by a board of people..not just temporarily..that'd be cool..it'd be run by people who play...like us

-check yoru grammer
Old 06-20-2001, 02:48 PM   #29
Boba Jim

Wink

We're not all like you.

Me on the set.

My lovely voice
Old 06-20-2001, 04:28 PM   #30
Roger

I think you guys will see a Quake 3 Team Arena kind of interface in-game, plus you will have gamespy and maybe they will do something on the zone, but I don't think so... Better get a copy of gamespy when the game arrives...

And please, I am not like you...
Roger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2001, 04:46 PM   #31
wardz

Mafia Jabba,

not everyone is a dedicated gamer in this community, it would be unfair to exclude people, especially the new ones - we need them. Perhaps some people may think you're not good enough...

wardz

Welcome to JKII.Net.

Please keep sig size to a minimum : )
wardz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2001, 08:01 PM   #32
Lucky

yar i vote we kick jabba now =P

PS:
Lucky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2001, 08:34 PM   #33
wardz

hahahaa, I second that.

wardz

Welcome to JKII.Net.

Please keep sig size to a minimum : )
wardz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2001, 10:14 PM   #34
SnaKe

rofl!! aye! i vote for that one too.

--SnaKe--

Old 06-21-2001, 02:27 AM   #35
Mafia_Jabba

*sniff sniff* I just shot six destruction balls rapid firing at one time, what's the harm in that (says in english accent like in Chicken Run)

-check yoru grammer
Old 06-21-2001, 04:28 AM   #36
SnaKe

aight... thats the final straw.. now ur officially ranked.... HOMO! so change ur rank to homo.

--SnaKe--

Old 06-21-2001, 05:37 AM   #37
GonkH8er

oi, there will be no kicking, and no homo-labelling

otherwise, we'll have to flex our staff muscles.....

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
Old 06-21-2001, 07:23 PM   #38
Mafia_Jabba

*spit*

-check yoru grammer
Old 06-22-2001, 12:15 AM   #39
stars are bright

Thumbs up

Zone is cool. The tribe2 system sounds good. battlenet sux. gamespy sux.
Zone's got the best community out there. People get on zone not only to play, but also to chat. I know a lot of people who log on zone only to say hi and chat whore. The community, that's what it's all about.

hubba hubba
stars are bright is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2001, 12:31 AM   #40
GEJoeSolo

I agree with luke. but none of them can beat a good LAN or even an IP game as fas as killing the lag gose.

GEJoeSolo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Zone...No zone