lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New PC.IGN screenshots.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-31-2001, 10:59 PM   #41
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
THERES A GONK! I WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO KILL!

oh thankyou raven and lec... my happy days of power droid slaughtering shall continue!
ems to come across her quite a bit. in different locations. maybe we'll actually lose a couple of battles, or she'll run during them.... or something. maybe our path to re-jedi hood is re-learning to win saber fights

maybe we suck at the start.

enemies r lookin good. the gonk looks very inviting to kill....

i was thinking, since dark jedi dont run away very often (afaik), maybe theres scripted events that stop us being able to fight this evil woman, making us wait for another time. maybe, collapsing buildings or something. maybe we lose a saber and have to flee.

its all looking very nice

how bloody annoying would it be to be able to pull your enemies saber away. want i really want to see happen (im sure it will) is not what happened in jediknight, where you pulled a weapon and it floated away spinning, and stayed there hovering til it disappeared. id like them to actually hit the ground and spin along to a stop....

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: GonkH8er ]

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2001, 11:05 PM   #42
Roger

Isn't that Gonk a bit small?
Roger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2001, 11:14 PM   #43
GonkH8er

no, real gonks stand about 1 m high. this one does too. compare him to the stormie next to him.

i was thinking....hang on, what was i thinking....

ahh thats right. maybe this woman isnt a woman. i just noticed it looks like she has sideburns....

could just be some evil dude with a ponytail....

muahahaha gonks to kill! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
Old 08-01-2001, 12:51 AM   #44
Bartolo_JCS

lol

Bartolo_JCS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 01:11 AM   #45
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
ed, jedi cannot pull sabers outta each others hands, i would assume, the other is prob retreving it (i think its been said before). as to the scopes on imps rifles, there were on every rifle in the movies and JK and Mots, and prob DF(i havent played it). just like there is a scope on the Blastec pistole, but you dont use it ever...

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 01:36 AM   #46
Krayt Tion

Yep scopes were indeed Imperial-superglued to the stormie rifles in DF
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 05:39 AM   #47
Sifl

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Vector:
<STRONG>Compare these shots to one of the screenies from Max Payne and there's just no contest, Max wins hands down, MP's textures especially are lightyears better.

I know that gameplay is considered more important than graphics</STRONG>
Okay, I just can't let this slide. The game's been in development for, what, 4 or 5 months? And from the reviews it sounds like it plays great and will kick ass. Now let's compare to Max Payne (which I have actually played, not just looked at screenshots of):

1) Took 4 years to make. JKII should be out in Spring 2002, so it takes 1 year.

2) Interactivity is next to nil (you can break maybe three or 4 different kinds of things, can't shoot down doors, etc, etc)

3) Physics/player control is iffy sometimes (can't crouch-walk, can't jump over small things sometimes, can't shoot when you jump straight up for some reason, grenades don't spin when thrown and bounce unrealistically, you clip into walls when you do those cool moves that you *have to do all the time*)

4) Engine seems underfeatured/unfinished (no water, no curves, super-low poly maps)

5) Enemy AI is practically non-existant. Every encounter seems 100% scripted. They say something, shoot a little, then just run to a spot or run back and forth (they can't even lean like in SoF), and even then they look kinda stupid and get stuck and shoot each other in the back.

Generally, it kinda feels unfinished. They have 2 things going for them: hi-res textures and one new gameplay feature (in lieu of several missing ones, and don't even mention the horrible writing). I have fun playing it, but it's not a benchmark for other games in any way.

How does this relate to JKII? It doesn't, but someone had to rebut.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Sifl ]
Sifl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 05:53 AM   #48
rolsen

Good call Sifl. I haven't played Max Payne yet, but your anaylsis seems logical and straight forward.

Rolsen
rolsen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 12:56 PM   #49
nykel007

These screens are sooooo cool. thanks jackal. a lot is seen here, previews show large levels, great saber battles this game is going to be great.

TriniJedi
nykel007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 01:26 PM   #50
PreTZeL

i thought Max Payne was like "really awesome, possibly game of the year" the first hour or two of playing it...
but then it did start to get kind of repetitive and boring...and ive begun to lose interest...yeah, there seems to be a lot of things that were left unfinished in the game...and i know JK2 will exceed it!
X-Vector, as to the blurs you are speaking of...maybe you do not have a good enough video card for your video setting?
and this is for anyone:
if you have problems with "high poly counts" i suggest you buy a new video card
by next year, you should be able to buy a geforce3 online for less than 100 bucks

-26341985-markedcard0-

^^wants to get involved in a JK2 clan^^
PreTZeL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 07:39 PM   #51
X-Vector

Quote:
Originally posted by Sifl:
<STRONG>Okay, I just can't let this slide. The game's been in development for, what, 4 or 5 months? And from the reviews it sounds like it plays great and will kick ass.
</STRONG>
Ugh, did you actually read all of my post or just the bit you decided you wanted to take offence to?
Here I go (again):

Quote:
I sincerely hope this is just early work and the graphics will be massively improved by the time JK2 is released
BTW, there are no JKII reviews yet, it's still in development remember?
I share your excitement for the game, but please, let's not jump to conclusions.

Well, actually I've been known to jump to conclusions about Duke Nukem Forever, that it's going to be the best FPS ever and all, but hey - that's DNF, that's different.
There's just no way DNF can fail.

Quote:
JKII should be out in Spring 2002, so it takes 1 year.
Don't say things like that, it's bad for my heart.
I firmly believe that it has become practically impossible to create a first class game combining style *with* substance nowadays in under 1.5 years (possibly even 2).
Perhaps Raven is using the Force though, I don't know.

BTW, AFAIK Raven have been working on JKII since February, so if the game *is* released around May, it will have been in development for longer than a year.

Quote:
Interactivity is next to nil (you can break maybe three or 4 different kinds of things, can't shoot down doors, etc, etc)
So exactly how much interactivity have you seen in the JKII screenshots and video so far?
How uber-interactive was Elite Force or SoF?

Quote:
How does this relate to JKII? It doesn't, but someone had to rebut.
I know how you feel.

Dark Forces Forever!
X-Vector is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 07:49 PM   #52
X-Vector

Arrow

Perhaps it would be fairer to compare apples with apples though.
Here are some screenshots from a 'rival' Q3 engine game in development that *does* IMO sport quite a bit more texture detail than the current JKII shots, 1, 2, 3.
Not too shabby, eh?

Dark Forces Forever!
X-Vector is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 09:25 PM   #53
acdcfanbill

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
well i would have to say that, yes the tex, and general artecture looks somewhat better, but think about this for a minute. did this game have to have a sophisticated system like force powers developed? im sure that developing the force powers were one of the main points, and took a lot of time away form textures and other aspects. so, later im sure that they will be compairable...

Old 08-01-2001, 10:00 PM   #54
PreTZeL

how long has this "other" game been in the works? certainly longer than just a few months!

-26341985-markedcard0-

^^wants to get involved in a JK2 clan^^
PreTZeL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2001, 10:24 PM   #55
Rancor

The truth is, we have no idea whether the screenshots are representative of the final product or not. I'm guessing that it's not because of some obvious texturing artefacts ( poorly aligned, lo-res, whatever ). I can't recall any Raven game released in the past couple of years that shipped with obvious things like this. If they are doing their job, they will be focusing on AI, force powers, weapons and gameplay... and will tweak the texturing and lighting later. I don't know that we should expect perfection so early in development.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Rancor ]
Rancor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2001, 09:28 AM   #56
ed_silvergun

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by acdcfanbill:
<STRONG>ed, jedi cannot pull sabers outta each others hands, i would assume, the other is prob retreving it (i think its been said before).</STRONG>
I know Jedi can't pull sabers out of each others' hands, and I know this has been brought up before. That's why I was wondering about the screenshot having the title "disarming". Is this a simple mistake on IGN's part, or is it something Raven have got wrong?

Quote:
<STRONG>as to the scopes on imps rifles, there were on every rifle in the movies and JK and Mots, and prob DF(i havent played it). just like there is a scope on the Blastec pistole, but you dont use it ever...</STRONG>
There were scopes on the rifles in DF, but there were none visible on the trooper rifles in JK. In MotS you could get a scope attachment for your trooper rifle.

PS: Go and play DF now. This second. Or I'll send you to bed with no supper.

Galactic Plumberman - For All Your Liquid Needs
ed_silvergun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2001, 10:25 AM   #57
nykel007

The Yavin 4 level looks great the mist and what ever fog effect in place looks cool.
I hope we the chance to explore a little more.

TriniJedi
Old 08-02-2001, 01:43 PM   #58
Wilhuf

Just because Jedis couldn't pull each other's lightsabers in JK/MotS doesn't mean this rule will apply in JKO.

...so many assumptions about how JK0 will follow the same rules set by JK.

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2001, 01:55 PM   #59
acdcfanbill

first off, look at the rifles again, i know they have scopes. i especially remember it when their spinning around as ammo, and its visible on you gun in first person veiw too i think, i dont remimber about 3rd pov.

Wilhuf, as to pulling sabers out of jedi's hands, its just an accepted SW thing that you cannot do that. not something from JK/MotS...

Old 08-02-2001, 03:59 PM   #60
The Wanderer

besides that it's an established thing, I mean, just imagine how utterly ANNOYING that would be. saber battles would be like this... someone pulls the saber out of your hands right in the middle of a good fight, you pull it back, someone pulls the saber out of your hands again, you pull the sabers out of their hands, they pull yours into their hand, you pull theirs into your hand, then you pull the saber out of their hand.... and I don't feel like having to use force absorb constantly.

just obnoxious.

it'd be one of those things people like WD-Torment would do all the time because the only things he cares about is winning, and the kind of thing that people who just want to have fun playing the game will complain about, so I hope they just don't impliment it in the first place.

"Weeeeeeee!!! I just accidentally BLOOOOOOOOOOWED up the droid command ship, oopsie! he he he, say whatever happened to those other 100 driod command ships we saw orbiting the planet in the begining of the movie??? oopsie!!!! he he he"

-Anakin Skywalker (future Dark Lord of the Sith)
The Wanderer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2001, 04:18 PM   #61
Wilhuf

I agree 100% it would be obnoxious, which is why I doubt what we are seeing is a lightsaber being force pulled to begin with.

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Old 08-02-2001, 04:56 PM   #62
Kettch

I like the "red fog" gore effect. It shows the blood evaporating, very SWish and realistic because you can see in EI Darth Maul's blood evaporate when Obi-Wan cut him into two halfs.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:12 PM   #63
nykel007

I know a way of disarming your opponent, take the had off completely.

TriniJedi
Old 08-02-2001, 05:15 PM   #64
C.H.A.S.

I love the screens, and the light blood, and the fog, and the trails, and the, and the, and the, and the,.....there's just too many. And like everyone else I'm sure I like to snipe the mouse bots.

"The Fist Of Strength
Is No Match For
The Fist Of Knowledge" by me.
C.H.A.S. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2001, 07:15 PM   #65
Sifl

Quote:
<STRONG>Here are some screenshots from a 'rival' Q3 engine game in development</STRONG>
And this game is...?

Anyway, my point is not to play "which game looks better" but to point out that gameplay is the most important thing. JK looked pretty lame but was game of the year, FAKK2 was beautiful but essentially sucked and was forgotten. So getting too excited over screenshots just seems silly. And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 08-02-2001, 07:22 PM   #66
Sifl

Quote:
<STRONG>Here are some screenshots from a 'rival' Q3 engine game in development that *does* IMO sport quite a bit more texture detail than the current JKII shots</STRONG>
I don't get it... in your first post you were (apparently) complaining about architectural detail, yet in these screenshots you posted, you see maybe 3 walls, max, and the third picture has horrible texture work. And the models aren't even all that high poly. Yeah, it's colorful, and the textures on the models are high res, but is that what the big deal is? I don't see how these screenshots illustrate your original point. And, besides, they're just screenshots anyway and don't say anything about the game itself.

And that's *really* all I have to say about that... for now
Old 08-02-2001, 07:57 PM   #67
Kurgan

Wink

Quote:
There were scopes on the rifles in DF, but there were none visible on the trooper rifles in JK. In MotS you could get a scope attachment for your trooper rifle.
Yes, go play JK and MotS again, there ARE scopes on all of the Stormtrooper rifles, clearly visible if you look. Of course none of them are functional (until you pick up the scope item in MotS).

And yes, the BlasTech pistol in MotS also has a scope you never use. I would guess just limitations in the realism, etc.

After all, even with the "sniper rifle" in MotS, you still shoot from the hip. ; )

Kurgan
Old 08-02-2001, 10:19 PM   #68
acdcfanbill

shoot from the hip, well, as long as you keep a stiff upper lip i guess its ok.

but anyway, the second shot of the *other* game looks like something that would be from Wolfenstein. the first two looked a lot like Nazi troopers.

Old 08-02-2001, 11:09 PM   #69
Denise

I would think the captions were IGN's doing, so reading much into the "disarming" label seems premature. **shrug**

I mean, the Dark Jedi is obviously disarmED, but if the only reason to speculate on the means by which they came to be so is the "ing" rather than the "ed" suffix... what's the point?
Denise is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2001, 11:13 PM   #70
Wilhuf

Eh, well we have little to go on, so we make the most (or even too much) of what we can get from LEC/Raven.

I agree though it's possible to read way too much into a picture caption.

Like I said on an earlier thread about a stormtroopers pic "OH MY GOD THE STORMTROOPERS TOE SPIKES AREN'T CORRECTLY RENDERED."

Wilhuf

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:42 PM   #71
nykel007

The screens are okay. But I was hoping someone managed to get out with some viedo fotage.

TriniJedi
Old 08-03-2001, 05:21 PM   #72
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

I think we need more screens from the actual game . Im looking forward to screenshots when the game is nearer to completion

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2001, 05:57 PM   #73
acdcfanbill

im just looking foward!! ...to the game!

Old 08-04-2001, 08:28 AM   #74
GonkH8er

Quote:
Originally posted by nykel:
<STRONG>The screens are okay. But I was hoping someone managed to get out with some viedo fotage. </STRONG>
maybe they did.....

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
Old 08-04-2001, 08:32 AM   #75
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

Maybe in a few months we will see actualy ingame footage .

Old 08-04-2001, 12:48 PM   #76
Ice Man

I'm hoping that perhaps they'll release some Quicktime 5 360degree pics, like over at www.starwarsgalaxies.com. That would be cool. I'd like to see some 360s of:

Kyle, Lightsaber, Stormtrooper, Officer, Droids and Kyle's craft.

Back on the quest for the perfect sig!
Ice Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2001, 01:34 PM   #77
GonkH8er

AND GONKS!

muahahahaha!

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
Old 08-04-2001, 05:25 PM   #78
MadPoster

I will mutate them just for you!

Needing a new sig idea to get rid of:
MadPoster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2001, 05:44 PM   #79
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

I think Kyle's craft will be kept secret until last minute

Old 08-04-2001, 10:10 PM   #80
nykel007

I like the idea of 360degree shots, you could get a better view and idea of the game enviornment.

TriniJedi
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > New PC.IGN screenshots.