lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Matches?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-06-2001, 08:32 PM   #1
Celestial

Post Matches?

How many players do you think JK2 will hold in matches? More than JK did?
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2001, 10:50 PM   #2
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
umm, i would say most defently, it is unthinkable that it wouldnt....

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2001, 11:03 PM   #3
Wilhuf

I would guess that a Jedi Outcast will handle at least 16 players on a decent dedicated server (e.g. two eight-person teams). Possibly more.

So, yes Jedi Outcast will likely handle larger games than the original Jedi Knight (8 players limit on LAN, 4 players limit on internet supported in the original Jedi Knight).

Elite Force (also using Quake3 tech) can handle 16 players (actually I see a few Elite Force servers out there with 24 players, not sure if that is officially supported or not).

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2001, 12:08 PM   #4
Wilhuf

Also I just read that Quake3 Team Arena can support up to 64 players in a game. So the tech could support 32 players v 32 players! Not sure if Jedi Outcast will officially support that many players, though.

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2001, 12:20 PM   #5
Sarcastic Saint

More importantly you would need a heck of a computer and a very good connection to the internet just play a match like that smoothly.

"The stupidity is strong in that one"

Sarcastic Saint is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2001, 04:24 PM   #6
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

If you have a 56K or under, 6 players will be the recommended max. Otherwise there will be super lag. Everyone else will be fine though including me. A T3 should handle about 50 or 60 I reckon

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2001, 05:36 PM   #7
Celestial

If the engine can hold 64 like Tribes 2 can, then it doesnt matter what your connection is.

Most people think that having a 56k or such will cause lag when there's more people in the server. When in fact its all dependent on the server thats hosting (specs/location)

The only thing that a ton of people in a server can bog down is your FPS.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Celestial ]
Old 08-07-2001, 07:22 PM   #8
Home_Sliced

I've seen a couple sites that say 8 (not official of course). Hopefully that will only be the restriction for "lightsaber only" games. Since a lot of the planned combat is close range saber combat, the host must run faster than a longer range shooting game or no one will be able to score a hit. By the time you've sent the attack que to the server, the other person could aleady be by you. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to have 16 or 32 in a traditional gunning game, though.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Matches?