lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: I just saw Lord of the rings!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-19-2001, 02:51 PM   #1
Xirion

I just saw Lord of the rings!

it was great!

The Old Republic
Xirion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2001, 04:53 PM   #2
Uutont Fær Uulion

Location: Kearns, Utah, United States, North America, Northwest Quadrosphere, Earth, Western Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Virgo Super Cluster, The Known Universe, Our Universe, The Vast PUM Fields, et cetera...
I wanted to go see that but I was sorely lacking in funds and had to spread the rest through Christmas, but I am going to see it in a few weeks.

p.s. Is it better than what the commercials said it would be?

Uutont Fær Uulion The CookieMaker
Henry Der PlätchenHersteller
www.derplatchenhersteller.com
Uutont Fær Uulion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2001, 06:48 PM   #3
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Kind of a review....kind of a, "Cool things from the movie" post.

*There's probably spoilers in here*

The movie starts with a description of what’s happened to the ring through time. From the forging of it and the other rings to when Bilbo found it. In these first scenes some of the coolest battles happen. "It shows the amazing battle were the ring is cut off of Saurons’ hand! SWEET!"

It then goes to Gandalf going to Hobbiton blah blah blah you know the story. The only complaint I have about the first part of the movie was that it goes a bit to fast. They made trip, "as far as they got anyway" seem like it didn't take very long and it feels likes it's jumping a bit. This also causes you to wonder why the fellowship begins to care so much for each other.

I only jumped one time during the movie and that was when Bilbo saw the ring again around Frodos’ neck and asks to see it. When Frodo started closing his shirt again so he couldn’t see it, Bilbo makes a little jump at him and you see him transform a little into kind of what Gollum looks like.

In the battle were Boromir is killed, he takes three HUGE arrows to the chest from the leader orc/goblin thingy. The leaders about to shoot another one into his face but Aragorn stops him and they get into a big fight were Aragorn cuts the leaders arm off....at least I think he did, and then stabs him in the chest and cut his head off. The coolest part of this scene was that when the leader new that he had been defeated, "When he got stabbed in the chest" He grabbed Aragorn and pulled him forward so his whole sword went through him and growled at him.

The movie ends with Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn letting Frodo and Sam go and setting off to save Pippin and Marry.

I am soooooo glad that I only have to wait a year for the next one.

Did any of you get popcorn and pop at the midnight show? They wouldn't open the stands for us!

Anyway, back on subject. Go see this movie. I don't care if you have to walk, crawl, bike, skydive, forgo the popcorn and pop, whatever. JUST DO IT.

Score: a very well deserved 10

Need Help? massage message me
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2001, 08:10 PM   #4
Kylilin
Wiseass

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
I'm going to see it tomorrow, and I am psyched!!

"Who is splendid among men, who is glorious among heroes?"
--excerpt from Gilgamesh
Kylilin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2001, 08:24 PM   #5
Xirion

the orcs you talk of in the scene with Boromir are called the Uruk-ki they are different from normal orcs

The Old Republic
Xirion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2001, 12:11 PM   #6
SlashAndBurn

God i cannt wait to see this movie! I have to wait till at least Sunday though since most of the shows are sold out arround here. I've head that the trailer for the Two Towers is gonna be included on the DVD for Felowship when its released in august.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2001, 02:07 PM   #7
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
I have to wait until August to get the lotr dvd in my grubby little hands?!? NOOOOOO!
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2001, 10:00 PM   #8
Kylilin
Wiseass

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Alright, I'm going to see it tomorrow!!!

"Who is splendid among men, who is glorious among heroes?"
--excerpt from Gilgamesh
Kylilin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2001, 03:05 PM   #9
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Cool Guy

I saw it yesterday (daytime show, on a workday, and the place was still packed ).

I loved it; it's been ages since I read the books in High School, and I've forgotten almost everything, but bits of it came back to me during the film (and yes, I'm going to buy the books when I'll have time to read them, which means not until April).

It's worth seeing for the FX alone. What really impressed me was the sizes of the characters. Y'see, most of those actors are about the same height, but throughout the film, the characters are in numerous scales (hobbit/dwarf, human/elf, with Gandalf towering over just about everyone). What struck me was that it was remarkably well-done. Usually you'll be able to see where they use forced perspective and camera tricks, but this was all seamless --and consistent.

And yes, Xirion, the Uruk-ki are different; based on what Gandalf said, I got the impression that the Uruk-ki are halflings (like the hobbits), half-orc and half human.

I also loved the scenes with the normal orcs in the dwarf city; they reminded me of hairless, tool-using magog.

The one thing I didn't like was a certain directorial trick that's become standard these past few years, though I first noticed it in Gladiator. All the fight scenes are filmed in tight closeups with a shaking camera, with cuts every second or so. It looks like something out of the friggin Blair Witch Project.

I understand that the director wants the audience to feel like they're in the action, but all it ends up doing is making it impossible to tell what's going on and making the audience sick.

"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
BeastMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2001, 07:46 PM   #10
Dark Drew

all i have to say after seeing it (on opening day) is:

HELL YES!!!!!!
  you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 1. The HuB > The Cantina! > I just saw Lord of the rings!