lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: AI questions: FOOTSTEPS?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-24-2002, 12:02 AM   #1
Spaceball_One

AI questions: FOOTSTEPS?

since realism seems to be the thing thats going around now... you know, COUNTER STRIKE this, COUNTER STRIKE that, and since everyone is making a real big deal about the new advanced AI (which i am very excited for... a real challenge i hope) i have this question to ask:

FOOTSTEPS: will they be something that both you (in multiplayer) and the computer AI (in single player) can "play off of"?

in COUNTER STRIKE, when me and my bud play one-on-one at his house (he has 2 comps networked) we really pay attention to the footsteps cause we can tell where the other is coming from... and we really integrate the WALK key into our strategy, cause it silences the noise. another game the integrates footsteps, and this goes for computer AI in single player, is METAL GEAR SOLID. enemies hear you when you run around too fast (or see your footprints... but i don't think that will be put into JK) and call backup just cause they know you're there (they don't even wait to see you!!). i think that this will totally one-up the already killer AI.

i really hope that RAVEN has put this "LOUD FOOTSTEPS / WALKING" thing into OUTCAST, or if not, i hope that its not too late to consider it!! i think it will greatly add to the "espionage" bit that they've been talking about... and will make the game all the more challenging, interesting, fun, AND realistic!
Spaceball_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2002, 12:09 AM   #2
Lord Slart

I don't know about this as I think those games are more geared towards stealth but in JO it will be more of a neat SP level or two and not influence the whole game as much. MGS2 is designed to be played as stealth it's part of the game makeup and it's one of Snakes specialties. Plus adding Footsteps awarness to AI would be a lot to ask for with Storm Troopers as they're not smart enough.

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." --Ben to Luke

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." --Han to Luke
Lord Slart is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2002, 12:18 AM   #3
Minimaul

In quake 3 , you can hear people jumping and stuff. And it's based off the q3 engine. So I'm guess there will be something like that.

I know in UT you can hear people comin' . Picking up weapons , switching weapons Ect. I think it's like that in JK too.

Most games are like that now. I bet JKO will be left out.

:0
Minimaul is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2002, 12:19 AM   #4
ZeroXcape
Another Grim Jedi

LFN Staff Member 
speaking of footsteps... i hope they leave blood tracks like in GTA3.

wait, this isn't the SOFII forum is it?

back to the starwars universe :|

ZeroXcape

"Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!"
ZeroXcape is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2002, 12:52 AM   #5
[SWS]Strider

On the Elite Force stealth missions if you didn't walk, then the AI would hear you. So I think it will work out the way you want.

Strider
[SWS]Strider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2002, 09:53 AM   #6
Com Raven
Silent Assassin

LFN Staff Member Hot Topic Starter 
I think Strider is right, there was lots of talking about sneaky missions ....

Back from the dead, back from The End
I'm here to take Revenge!
Soon the deathly dusk will fall
and the Night I've waited for
Com Raven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2002, 10:18 AM   #7
StarScrap

My guess is it will be put in somehow. Not only do other games have it (MGS2, Deus Ex), but they had a lot of talk about gearing it towards sneaky.

Did you know that if ants were as long as humans are tall and maintained the same speed/body size ratio they would walk at something like 45 mph? (about 75 kph I think) Running they could probably get up to over 100 mph.
StarScrap is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2002, 10:51 AM   #8
Com Raven
Silent Assassin

LFN Staff Member Hot Topic Starter 
You'll of course have the coice which road you wanna take ...

Back from the dead, back from The End
I'm here to take Revenge!
Soon the deathly dusk will fall
and the Night I've waited for
Com Raven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2002, 12:59 PM   #9
Agen
The Spoon Guy

I think it will.... could be handy for obi-wan type sneaking in ep.4
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2002, 01:21 PM   #10
Lord_FinnSon

Well, you can do that with Jedi Mind Tricks, and didn't they also talk about Force Knock(can't remember is it confirmed as one of the powers, but at least older previews talked about it)...

Remember, the Force will be with you... always!
Lord_FinnSon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > AI questions: FOOTSTEPS?