lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Demo this Friday?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-27-2002, 05:57 PM   #1
mariners2001

Question Demo this Friday?

With all the discussion I've had about the demo release. Speculation tells me that there's an extremely high chance of the demo being released this Friday when LucasArts updates... Hehe... Sorry, if I'm getting you're hopes up, but it seems quite likely. Does anyone else think there'll be a demo this Friday?

Skin Projects: (click on the links provided to download the files or view the current progress)
Emperor Palpatine: Completed
Jerec: Completed
Raas Avlow: Completed, but being redone
Mara Jade: Completed, but being redone which is nearly complete, New Mara WIP
Anakin Skywalker: Completed
Count Dooku: Done, not released
Ibtisam (Mon Calamari model) normal and rogue flight suit: Pending release
Talon Karrde: Completed
Rock Fisto (Kit Fisto model): Never released

E-mail me if you'd like to see or try one of these skins that I've not yet released.
Also, if you have an idea for a skin for me to make (Star Wars based preferably), please e-mail me with that idea and I'll take it under consideration for a future project.
mariners2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 06:00 PM   #2
simon says

Uhh....don't get your hopes up. I think it's unlikely, because the only people who are discussing the demo are the people in these forums. It's not Lucas Arts or Raven (unless u've heard something i haven't). And Raven already said "no demo."
simon says is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 06:01 PM   #3
Eternity

I don't think it's likey, but there's a chance.

W00t, l33t, h@x0r, etc. etc.

I would say in the the first couple weeks of March, dog.

Insert a witty and thought-provoking quote here, I can't think of any.
Eternity is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
Binary

Uh, no... I'm guessing a demo won't be released until after the full game is done.

Binary is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 06:23 PM   #5
Reptar

yea me to, starfighters demo was just released, and the game was out for about a week or two........
Reptar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 06:31 PM   #6
mariners2001

Starfighter was already released on a different system and no one was really excited about it. Jedi Knight 2 is getting a lot of hype and attention. The last LucasArts game like that was Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds and that demo was released two months before release! There's a hopeful chance.

Skin Projects: (click on the links provided to download the files or view the current progress)
Emperor Palpatine: Completed
Jerec: Completed
Raas Avlow: Completed, but being redone
Mara Jade: Completed, but being redone which is nearly complete, New Mara WIP
Anakin Skywalker: Completed
Count Dooku: Done, not released
Ibtisam (Mon Calamari model) normal and rogue flight suit: Pending release
Talon Karrde: Completed
Rock Fisto (Kit Fisto model): Never released

E-mail me if you'd like to see or try one of these skins that I've not yet released.
Also, if you have an idea for a skin for me to make (Star Wars based preferably), please e-mail me with that idea and I'll take it under consideration for a future project.
mariners2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 06:39 PM   #7
buzzfunk666

Raven have stated that they first goal is to finish up the full game. They also said that a demo before shipping Jk2 is all up to LA. So with this info in mind, theres no reason to belive that there will be a demo this week.

Sascha "Buzzfunk" Dikiciyan
www.sonicmayhem.com
www.noizeloops.com
buzzfunk666 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
gEeBuS

Let's hope

I hope there is a demo this week or else I am going to go nuts with anticipation craziness and such. I think it is likely because JKII is getting a huge amount of press as of now and why not show off your hard work. Plus, Raven did not say no Demo, they just said the decision lies with Lucasarts. Once again, take it easy all.

geeb
gEeBuS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 06:46 PM   #9
ps2maddenman

I hope Raven said "no demo" but really secretly has one planned, that would be a real treat for us.

www.ign.com
ps2maddenman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 06:49 PM   #10
Indy4

i think they will realse one of the march 8 i hope its realsed on a friday

SEYA
Indy4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 08:08 PM   #11
ZeroXcape
Another Grim Jedi

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by buzzfunk666
Raven have stated that they first goal is to finish up the full game. They also said that a demo before shipping Jk2 is all up to LA. So with this info in mind, theres no reason to belive that there will be a demo this week.
Well said...

ZeroXcape

"Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!"
ZeroXcape is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 08:15 PM   #12
Indy4

ASK abot the demo at the chat friday

Seya
Indy4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 08:17 PM   #13
Ulic Quel Droma

what time will that be in NZ?

To know the light, You must see the dark.
Ulic Quel Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 08:33 PM   #14
Bowen

Quote:
Originally posted by buzzfunk666
Remember that a demo would prolong the release of the game. I'm we'd all like to see a demo this week but would you have the demo this week and have the game delayed a week or two later?

B O W E N
Bowen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 08:39 PM   #15
Chanke4252

I dont care about the demo because on dialup it would probably take about a week and maybe they would probably release the full game before my download finishes.

"If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song."
-Jack Handey
Chanke4252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 08:42 PM   #16
Swoosh
reporting for duty

LFN Staff Member 
I don't really see what the fuss is about a demo delaying the realease of a game. Most of the programmers are done with their work at this point. The game is almost gold...just a couple of people could take a sp and a mp level...put the already done installer on the front end, put some readmes and graphics together, make an .exe, and release a demo! LEC is just making us wait...we'll see one soon enough I'm sure.

About the game being delayed...I think the only thing at this point that will delay the game involves packaging, marketing, legal, and shipping problems. Then again, I have never worked at a gaming company...just been invovled in gaming news for a long time.

Swoosh

mtnLab
LFNetwork Graphic Designer
Swoosh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 09:13 PM   #17
Locke101

I personally would love to see a demo released. However, if it does prolong the release ofthe game. I say who cares, i'd rather have the full game then a demo anyday. I just hope that if they do release a demo, that you'll be able to play it on the zone.
Locke101 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 09:49 PM   #18
Syko

I'd rather they have GameSpy functionality, because that way more people will play it online. It seems gamespy is more popular than the zone.

As long as the demo doesn't delay release, i'm all for it. What'd be really funny though is if they released a demo where u get to kill a few stormies with a blaster and you don't even see a lightsaber that'd just be mean and torturous hehe
Syko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2002, 09:54 PM   #19
ESE_SithEmperor

Can only Hope

Dear god man what kind of SICK MIND DO YOU HAVE SYKO?!

j/k

ESE will Rocks!

"Luke, I not sure if I am your Father let me check up on that." - Darth Vadder

"Ok" - Lukke

"Well DNA test shows neative oh well I guess I can kill you after all good bye" - Darth Vadder

"Oh Wait NOOOOOO!!"

*Vader swings his saber cutting of lukes head*
ESE_SithEmperor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 12:39 AM   #20
The Truthful Liar
In-Transit

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Thumbs up w000hoooo!!

DEMO DEMO DEMO!!!

That would be totally swank if they popped up the Demo this week!!

I can't wait,

Cheers
The Truthful Liar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 12:43 AM   #21
Ulic Quel Droma

OH DEAR GOD IM SEEING DANCING ELEPHANTS AGAIN

To know the light, You must see the dark.
Ulic Quel Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 12:55 AM   #22
The Truthful Liar
In-Transit

LOL

It was needed
Old 02-28-2002, 12:58 AM   #23
Bartolo_JCS

OMG OMG OMG OMAOGAM OMAGOMAOAMG

no.

Bartolo_JCS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 01:00 AM   #24
Qel

Thumbs up I Agree....

Quote:
Originally posted by Swoosh
I don't really see what the fuss is about a demo delaying the realease of a game. Most of the programmers are done with their work at this point. The game is almost gold...just a couple of people could take a sp and a mp level...put the already done installer on the front end, put some readmes and graphics together, make an .exe, and release a demo! LEC is just making us wait...we'll see one soon enough I'm sure.

About the game being delayed...I think the only thing at this point that will delay the game involves packaging, marketing, legal, and shipping problems. Then again, I have never worked at a gaming company...just been invovled in gaming news for a long time.

Swoosh
Exactly what I wanted to say, but u said it best....

Qel

I'm no Jedi. I'm just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions.

- Kyle Katarn
Qel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 01:01 AM   #25
The Truthful Liar
In-Transit

hee hee hee...

Seriously, a demo would be most fitting on Friday and I hope this is true.

Cheers
Old 02-28-2002, 01:44 AM   #26
UniKorn
Mysterious Mapper

I don't see how a demo can delay the game?

1. For every level they include they have to make sure that all the textures are in there, without putting in all the textures
2. The same goes for the models and their skins.
3. They have to create the installer and test it on every system configuration. It is not because the installer of the full game works on every system that the one for the demo does.
4. Once the demo is wrapped up, it goes to la for approval, if it isn't approved, they can start over.
5. Do you honestly think that there are people at Raven just sitting there with nothing to do?

Mapcenter:
http://www.map-center.com
UniKorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 02:55 AM   #27
Bowen

Quote:
Originally posted by UniKorn

1. For every level they include they have to make sure that all the textures are in there, without putting in all the textures
3. They have to create the installer and test it on every system configuration. It is not because the installer of the full game works on every system that the one for the demo does.
4. Once the demo is wrapped up, it goes to la for approval, if it isn't approved, they can start over.
5. Do you honestly think that there are people at Raven just sitting there with nothing to do?
Well guys I'm not a developer so I can vouch for how many additional hours or the length it takes to do a demo but I'm just going by what the developers at Raven have said and I think they would know better than anyone since they are the ones making the game. They did say that they did not think there would be a demo before the release of the game because it would take more time to put a demo out and they did not want to delay the game because of that.

B O W E N
Old 02-28-2002, 03:01 AM   #28
Chanke4252

uh, why wouldnt they just use the SAME installer in the demo they used in the game. I know the previously released LEC demos have usually seemed to have the same installers. I mean I honestly dont think that this is a huge part of the development process.

And for the textures, thats not a new thing either. Either play through a level a bunch of times or recheck it a few times, either way shouldnt take more than a day to do a thorough job. Plus, the majority of the time they use levels from the actual game.

Same for skins only not nearly as time consuming. An experienced skinner can throw together a skin very quickly, and they will use skins from the full game since it is a "DEMO" of the full game.

"If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song."
-Jack Handey
Old 02-28-2002, 03:07 AM   #29
JediDante

bet you!

I bet you that they are going to do the same thing that EA did with the MOHAA Single player Demo or at least what they wanted to do, it's just maybe it will go to PC Gamer instead of CGW.

Half Man. Half Demon. Pure Vengeance.
JediDante is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 03:25 AM   #30
Toa Tahu

Hee,that's a good one.
However,I think that even the demo MIGHT be half of JK already,for that matter.And,how long did you guys took to download the JK demo?

When you slice a person, do you slice him with the fastest stroke, or do you forcefully incapacitate him?
Toa Tahu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 03:26 AM   #31
Bowen

Quote:
Originally posted by Chanke4252
uh, why wouldnt they just use the SAME installer in the demo they used in the game. I know the previously released LEC demos have usually seemed to have the same installers. I mean I honestly dont think that this is a huge part of the development process.

And for the textures, thats not a new thing either. Either play through a level a bunch of times or recheck it a few times, either way shouldnt take more than a day to do a thorough job. Plus, the majority of the time they use levels from the actual game.

Same for skins only not nearly as time consuming. An experienced skinner can throw together a skin very quickly, and they will use skins from the full game since it is a "DEMO" of the full game.
I really don't know why they could not do that and they may be planning on releasing a demo anyway but from what they have said it is apparently more involved than one would think.

B O W E N
Old 02-28-2002, 09:33 AM   #32
indianajones9

There won't be a demo this friday. No, I dn't have a reason for saying this other than today's thursday and we would have heard about such a high profile demo. Besides, the game hasn't even gone gold yet!!! I want a demo as much as ya'll, but I don't plan to see one until third quarter march. Then again, i THINK i have been wrong before.
indianajones9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 10:24 AM   #33
TUS_Tomcat

Let's just ask tomorrow and see what they say!
TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 01:16 PM   #34
Magnum2

Quote:
Originally posted by UniKorn

1, 2 & 3: There are tools (or they can make them, he) that will automate the process
4: True, but I believe that if LEC is confident that Raven will make a good game, they can trust them to make a nice demo, too
5: No, but as someone said before, the big time trouble should be well behind... if Raven works like an organized team (I assume a yes there) at this time should be only minor glitches (or already finished!!! Let's hope )
Magnum2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 08:53 PM   #35
Chanke4252

well they would only be true if they used levels not included in the full game.

-Jack Handey
Old 02-28-2002, 10:23 PM   #36
MuRaSaMuNe

Whats with all these elephants I'm a monkey man myself

And I'd doubt they will have a demo on Friday, don't they normally announce the game has gone gold before a demo?
MuRaSaMuNe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2002, 10:29 PM   #37
TrUeFoRcE

actually i think that a demo may be released very soon, maybe not this friday but with msn gaming zone being updated for jk2 there preparing for something, and if they werent releasing the demo soon they probably wouldnt have released the jk2 zone section....
TrUeFoRcE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 02:02 AM   #38
Obi

<font color=cbcbff> A MSN Gaming zone page can mean only one thing.....invasion.....

Wait..that's not right... eh..
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 03:09 AM   #39
Krak3n

I'm quite confident the game is done, if not at 98% or 99%. I'm sure beta testing is going on now and releasing a demo now would not delay this game. 2 months ago, yea it would have delayed the game. You have to remember once u have finished the game at least a month of prep has to be done befor the offical lanch. opackging, marketing, produceing the thousands upon thousands of CD's etc etc, not to mention shipping it to EVERY game store in the USA, UK and europe and of course the rest of the world.

The games done, that i am sure of, and the updating of The Zone shows that they rae getting ready for something, wether it be a demo i don't know, or of course the Zone could have just made a giant muck up.

Personelly i can feel a demo on the horizen, this game is one of the most highly ancisipated games of 2002, they cannot afford to not release a demo.

Just my 2 pence.

Krak3n
Krak3n is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 07:25 AM   #40
Antilles

What I find out at Lucasarts

Well, when I type the under:
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/ou...html/demo.html

There is a white page only......

Usually when you links to page that Lucasarts doesn't have(yet), there will be a "404error" or so kind of page that tell you, there is no such page and will put you back to Lucasarts.com.

So when I open the "demo" page and it shows white, doesn't it means that.....There will be demo?

Although we can't know if the Demo will be out before the full game release, at last we can put some hope......

Money is what I care and want and need and desire and dream and ...........never had...
Antilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Demo this Friday?