lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: It looks cool ?!?!?! disagree there!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-01-2002, 12:13 PM   #1
TUS_Tomcat

It looks cool ?!?!?! disagree there!

Was the answer to stormhammers Q:

Why do the enemies fly through the room when hit by the saber

"It looks cool" was the answer!

Anyone disagree, like me?
TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 12:17 PM   #2
Hannibal

Current Game: Black Ops/Biosock
LFN Staff Member 
I don't disagree.
But they fly as though you hit them with a bat, not a beam of light that is cutting through them.
It's cool that they flew when you run towards them but otherwise it's odd.

Hannibal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 12:19 PM   #3
Silent_Thunder

Huh, what are you talking about?? Stormhammer asked this question in the chat?

Oh, and yes, I agree with you, it looks plain silly...

BTW, if you got this in the chat, then please tell me how to get in there...

I've signed up, logged in, and gotten to this page...

If you become disconnected, click this button:

You can navigate Games Domain without closing chat.

Closing this browser window will disconnect you.

If you have difficulty, please check our help pages.

How do I get to the chat??

Thanks a whole lot .
Silent_Thunder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 12:22 PM   #4
Chanke4252

I think it looks cool, personally If we're not going to be able to chop them in half, then I wouldnt want to see my saber go right through them and nothing happen. I look forward to knocking people off many a cliff with my big blue light-baseballbat.

"If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song."
-Jack Handey
Chanke4252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 12:24 PM   #5
TUS_Tomcat

the chat is going on right now!!! after logging in and pressing chat now a popup window appeared with the chat applet

i dont know why it doesnt over there?!!? but a transcript will surely be posted
TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 12:26 PM   #6
Broode

Well I dont think it looks cool, it makes the sabr seem cheap and less elegant.

-Broode-
- I am Oobiedoob Benobi. I have the Silliest name in the Galaxy.
- Whats your middle name?
- Scoobie Doobie.
- Oobiedoob Scoobie Doobie Benobi?
Broode is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 12:27 PM   #7
Silent_One

A transcript will probably be posted. I'm looking forwards to reading it.

I am the Silent One!
Beware of my silence!
Silent_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 12:30 PM   #8
Silent_Thunder

I agree with broode...

But I wanna go in the chat too... *cry*.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:31 PM   #9
Belgirion

it looks pretty cool...but then again it would be cooler if it chopped them in half
Belgirion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 12:36 PM   #10
Silent_One

Quote:
Quote by Belgirion
it looks pretty cool...but then again it would be cooler if it chopped them in half
Why does everyone keep saying this??!!
This is JK we're talking about here! Not some blood game!!!

I am the Silent One!
Beware of my silence!
Old 03-01-2002, 12:41 PM   #11
Agen
The Spoon Guy

Where is the chat how do you get to it? i'm jsut back from outward bound so i have missed laods and have a newbie's spoon replica gift if you're new.
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 12:43 PM   #12
Belgirion

Quote:
Actually this is JO were talking about
Old 03-01-2002, 12:45 PM   #13
Silent_One

JK2 JO. Whatever!!!

I am the Silent One!
Beware of my silence!
Old 03-01-2002, 12:46 PM   #14
digl
Reborn

Quote:
Originally posted by Silent_One
Why does everyone keep saying this??!!
cutting in half with a lightsaber doesnt mean blood at all, Its what should really happen

I agree with you Tomcat
digl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 01:39 PM   #15
Agen
The Spoon Guy

i woudl quote a thing that tells you abotu the blood but i'm tired and it's only 7pm.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:44 PM   #16
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

Quote it Quote it!!!!!

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 01:48 PM   #17
Agen
The Spoon Guy

*reaches for mosue but falls asleep and hand hits off the mosue and lcicks on pron ad*
Oops. "snore"
Old 03-01-2002, 08:01 PM   #18
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Well a saber instantly scorches all wounds.. so they can't bleed.
And well.. even if it ends up being a lightbat..... we'll just have to rely on the modding world to create something that lets us cut through them decently. (altough I doubt it that it'll be like that in the finished game.. we could slice through them without sending a stormie flying in JKI... it would be stupid if it really was different in JKII)
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 08:31 PM   #19
Eternity

I don't like it either, but they need a teen rating. Chopping troopers in half will give it a M no trouble.

Insert a witty and thought-provoking quote here, I can't think of any.
Eternity is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 08:44 PM   #20
indianajones9

COME ON!!!!! What is Raven doing? "Oh, it looks cool!!! Blah blabityblahblah
Why can't they just animate the enemy holding the area that was hit with the saber and fall lifeless or hell, just use the JK1 way. It looks cool is a stupid, juvenille and selfish reason to jeopardize te whole game. NO NO NO!! Unless it only happens on certain occasions when the enemy is charging...NO NO NO!
indianajones9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 09:02 PM   #21
Ulic Quel Droma

calm down its only a game if you hate it that much learn to mod and make something to change it like SBX

they're not making it for YOU theyre making it for the world not some little kid who thinks its cool to see blood and guts everywhere.

To know the light, You must see the dark.
Ulic Quel Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 09:18 PM   #22
Belgirion

I wasn't asking for blood. And BTW remember Maw was cut in half in that cutscene??? JK still got a teen rating...what's so wrong with a mature rating alot of the most successful games have M ratings...

I'm done for now
Old 03-01-2002, 10:39 PM   #23
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Cool Guy

Watch yourself, Ulic Quel Droma - you're pushing the limits. You have no idea whether anyone here is a so-called "little kid". Avoid name-calling and personal attacks, or you'll find your posts edited or deleted. Thank you for your cooperation, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

The knock-back effect does not look cool, in my opinion, it looks silly.

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players...
Vagabond is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 11:01 PM   #24
Silent_Thunder

I wonder if Raven cares at all what we think of the "baseball bat saber"

It seems to be pretty universily disliked.

When I first watched the trailer I thought to myself that either the "real" saber effects aren't done yet, or Raven doesn't want to show how they'll really look, so RAven put in the base ball bat saber to replace the real effect untill later...

I thougth the effect looked too silly to be true, but Raven has proven me wrong .

As I stated in another thread, I do not believe Raven knows how to make JO have the little minor details that make games feel like Star Wars. So far Raven hasn't truely violated any Star Wars Cannon rules, but are misinturpreting them.. For example... the freezing effects of the Disrupter. It's true that there's disintergrating weapons in the Star Wars universe, however, I do not believe it would look like a phaser when fired, which only had people freeze when struck by a phaser in the original Star Trek because of lack of tech. Then there's the metal bullets... Sure, there ARE bullets in the STar Wars universe, however, RAven is taking the same approch that most Fps's do when it comes to weapons, which is: give several exposive weapons, several metal bullet weapons, and a few futuristic weapons like lasers. But what Raven may not understand is the fact that nearly every weapon the SW is a laser, and the bullet weapons are the rarities.. not the other way around. And now we have the baseball bat saber, which looks like it was created for the exact reason the devs mention; they thought it looked pretty cool, so why not include it? Which IMO, is not the way to go about it...

BTW, even though it may not sound like it, I think JO is coming along very well, and I don't really have any gripes about it... Just thought I'd clear that up incase it soudns like I Was ranting.. .
Old 03-01-2002, 11:15 PM   #25
DeathBoLT

Quote:
several metal bullet weapons,
I'm guessing their including several metal bullet weapons to have something that can't be deflected by the saber. Remember, the saber is going to be extremely more lethal and they may have to take setps to make the guns a little more powerful just to match up with the saber's power.

Quote:
But what Raven may not understand is the fact that nearly every weapon the SW is a laser, and the bullet weapons are the rarities..
I've never heard of the repeater, etc. being present in star wars beyond the Dark forces games.. whose to say these aren't the "rarities".
DeathBoLT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 11:34 PM   #26
Belgirion

I don't like the implementation of the Fletchette launcher...it sounds too much like the flak cannon from UT. Also I think they could have made the Missle Launcher more "star warsy" Like change the name to Concussion Missle Launcher...also why did they have to put in the stun baton instead of fists? I thought it was much more fun to run up to an enemy and start punching them with the fists. sigh
Old 03-01-2002, 11:36 PM   #27
Chanke4252

Well, i figure if your close enough to use the flechette cannon thingy then they are close enough to you to force pull it away. And apparently force seeing at its highest level lets you dodge sniper fire, not sure what thats about but it seems fair. I think that its unfair to assume that things are unballanced or not before we see the game in action. So far from what ive heard they are doing a good job avoiding the ballancing issues that were present in JK1, lets hope they continue to do so in all parts of the game.

"If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song."
-Jack Handey
Old 03-01-2002, 11:40 PM   #28
Chanke4252

oh yah forgot to mention, i hate the stun baton idea also, but there will no doubt be some user mods put in there. Hopefully one big mod/patch to fix people's light-bat gripes as well as some improved weapon models like the bryar and the fists instead of baton thing.

but once again, we'll all have to wait untill the game comes out before our worries can be proven true or false.

-Jack Handey
Old 03-01-2002, 11:49 PM   #29
Ulic Quel Droma

Quote:
Avoid name-calling and personal attacks, or you'll find your posts edited or deleted.
you think posts are all i care about..?
im simply saying if you dont like the way it works dont keep sayign it everyone knows that people arnt gonna like it
i pesonaly do like it, not all games have to be filled with blood and guts and arms chopping off to be good.

To know the light, You must see the dark.
Ulic Quel Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 01:01 AM   #30
SaberPro
00 Agent

I think it's all about HOW they flew across the room...backflip? side-spin? drop-and-die? hold down there and suffer (groin shots)? death that looks like being force pushed?

Personally, flying backward sounds cool, but...illogical? Lightsaber should just chop right through you, instead of knocking you backward a couple of feet......no? (Except you got hit by the Lightsaber handle REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD)

SaberPro
Alliance of the Jedi (AOJ)
ZoneFriend = AOJ_SaberPro

"The Force is with you young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!" - Darth Vader
SaberPro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 01:42 AM   #31
NoodlyGod

Agreed, that was (and still is) my one complaint. I just think it looks plain ridiculous. And I'm not hungering for blood and guts, the light saber would instantly cauterize all wounds, so there wouldn't be any bleeding. And I'd be happier if they just fell down, I don't really care if they're chopped in half. Not a gripe that's going to prevent me from buying the game, just something I fear I'll think about every time I whip out the saber and decide to go after someone with it. -NoodlyGod
NoodlyGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 01:54 AM   #32
Jubei2501

OK, I know the saber should cauterize wounds so there isn't any blood (Luke's hand), but what about Ponda Baba's arm in the Cantina? Or that brief spurt of blood when Darth Maul got split in half?

Yeah, flinging enemies across the room with a light saber doesen't make a lot of sense physically, but it's a game for crying out loud. Some of you guys should relax.....
Jubei2501 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 02:04 AM   #33
Obi

<font color=cbcbff> I sort of agree. I don't like the knockback effect when they fly as far as in that video. It makes the saber feel like it's an impact weapon at times, while it's a slicing weapon at others. That inconsistancy combined with the fact that well....it just doesn't look cool, make me think that it should not be there atleast not in such an exaggerated way. I think it would be quite acceptable to make the lightsaber leave a mark on the bodies just like on the walls, and also to knock them back a slight bit. But swinging something that supposedly goes through <i>anything</i> and flinging bodies at distances of 10 feet or more just looks.... well, ridiculous. I think if this detail was left in, it would certainly not ruin the game, as IndianaJones9 seems to believe. The rest of it sounds simply too awesome to ignore because of an annoying thing like <i>lightsaber of the bear</i>.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 03:25 AM   #34
Broode

I would rather see the lightsaber just go through them and they fall to the ground. No blood, limb detachment or gore nesisary. The flying across the room thing just doesnt work for me. To me, Star Wars has all been about the lightsaber. I dont care about blasters or aliens or anything, just the lightsaber. Its just so cool and elegant and stuff. But Raven are ruining that for me.

And i do think that it will ruin the game! it will be totally unplayable if our enemies fly across the room! waaaaaah!

-Broode-
- I am Oobiedoob Benobi. I have the Silliest name in the Galaxy.
- Whats your middle name?
- Scoobie Doobie.
- Oobiedoob Scoobie Doobie Benobi?
Broode is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 03:55 AM   #35
Obi

<font color=cbcbff> Well, it's not <i>so</i> bad as to ruin gameplay. The enemies only fly on the killshot. I personally love to dismember bad guys, blood or not(just like my namesake) so I'll be whacking off a lot of arms and legs and hopefully heads. Bisecting someone would be cooler than cool. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to about the game.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 08:46 AM   #36
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Cool Guy

Ulic Quel Droma, these forums exist so that people can express their opinions and communicate with one another. The only opinions we don't allow are those that personally attack other people. If you dont' like reading how a significant number of people don't like the knock-back effect of the lightsaber in JKII, then you should probably stop reading this thread. But don't become hostile toward others simply because they don't share your opinion. You don't see anyone attacking you because they don't share your opinion, do you? Just show some maturity and respect, and you'll do just fine in our community.

About the knock-back effect, it just looks so cheesy, it reminds me of some old 1980's arcade game, made by some obscure Japanese gaming company that nobody's ever heard of. Can you imagine? What if when Darth Vader killed Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan got knocked halfway to the Death Star reactor? Or when Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul, Darth Maul got knocked-back all the away against the far wall.

Any monkey can make skins that look like Stormtroopers, models that look like a lightsaber, and maps that look like Star Wars locales. But it's the details that make you believe you're in the Star Wars universe. These not-so-subtle oddities threaten to leave many gamers wondering what Raven was smoking. My point is this: a game isn't a Star Wars game, just because you call it a Star Wars game. I has to feel like a Star Wars game, and this goofy knock-back effect doesn't feel like any Star Wars movie or novel I've ever heard of.

Let's just hope that Raven tones this down to a less clown-like level before the game goes gold. Otherwise the whole drama of the storyline is in jepordy of being undermined by such silly distractions. How can you take a story seriously when when it doesn't even seem to take itself seriously?

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players...
Vagabond is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 08:55 AM   #37
JPMaximilian

^ You are very Wise Vagabond, I agree.

JPMaximilian
The Toydarian Dealer

Hi chuba da nago?
JPMaximilian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 09:00 AM   #38
JEDI OUTCAST

Thumbs up LOVE IT

hey i love the way they have got the troopers to fly a cross the room you did not see that in jedi knight and all so the way the make them jump in the air when you kill them

JEDI OUTCAST

JEDI OUTCAST is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 09:17 AM   #39
The Truthful Liar
In-Transit

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
hmm.....

We must learn to trust Raven and Lec - they are working together so... we shall see what we shall see.

Cheers
The Truthful Liar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 09:33 AM   #40
Darth Katarn

i feel that this is not either cool or odd because starwars was created by one man "George Lucas" he is the one hwo said about haveing this game up and well if he has no problem towards this little thing then im with lucas he must of saw this and well hey.......

oh perhaps that is a little bit of Q3 inside???

There is no emotion; there is peace. There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no passion; there is serenity. There is no death; there is the Force.

Remember The Force Will Be With You... Always
Darth Katarn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > It looks cool ?!?!?! disagree there!