lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New Review
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-01-2002, 09:00 PM   #1
Lorewin

New Review

Hello, Id just like to say that PC Gamer Sweden has reviewed it now also, they get most material from pcgamer UK.
It got an Overall Score of 90%.

Probably the same beta as UK, but different opinions.
Its not a bad score, I just thought Itd be higher
Lorewin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 09:04 PM   #2
Raze

90% ? Ew, these Swedes need a good beating I think =)
Raze is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 09:07 PM   #3
Walker of Sky

A 90%!

........O well, I guess u can't please everyone when u make a game, no one's perfect.

"The ability to do a thing is not all there is. You must know the thing. You must master every facet of it. You must understand how it fits with everything else you know. You must possess it for it to be truly yours."

-Luke Skywalker
Walker of Sky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 09:07 PM   #4
digl
Reborn

welcome!

welcome to the forum Lorewin and thanks for the info
Can you tell us what they didnt like of the game? (why 90% and not 100% )
digl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 09:33 PM   #5
Eternity

90% is good enough for me. :P

Most games get in the 70's.

Insert a witty and thought-provoking quote here, I can't think of any.
Eternity is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2002, 09:36 PM   #6
OnlyOneCanoli
Paranoid Bandroid

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know of any new info included in the review, or anything noteworthy?
OnlyOneCanoli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 06:13 PM   #7
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Welcome to the forums, Lorewin, Walker of Sky and Raze. Hope you're enjoying your stay. Here... *hands each a chocolate Jedi Medallion* There you go.

Thanks for the heads-up, Lorewin. Mind you, if they're still basing their scores off a pre-beta version...then the score is pretty pointless, IMHO.
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2002, 09:08 PM   #8
Raze

hah, ph001! you already gave me a medaillon so I now got one for free! muahahaha
Raze is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 12:40 PM   #9
Woad

Hey give the extra to me!

I never got mine....

En Guarde!

Saorsa gu brath!
Woad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 12:46 PM   #10
darthfergie
Q-38 Modulator

LFN Staff Member 
What!!! 90%

I say we get a couple of Sith together and go teach them how to review games.

Lets go guys...

darthfergie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 12:48 PM   #11
Woad

Yeesh guys.
Come on, 90% for a beta version of a game is pretty dang good.

We couldn't really have anticipated perfect 100s now could we?

En Guarde!

Saorsa gu brath!
Old 03-03-2002, 01:31 PM   #12
TUS_Tomcat

why not?!?!? It's starwars, you got a lightsaber, and you get to slice stormtroopers up!!!

100% baby

TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 05:26 PM   #13
Lorewin

Well, the only complaints they had on the game was that It had some annoying puzzle solving in the worst console fashion, and that the AI was to good almost as if they had xray vision n could see through walls. The voice actings where good they say. and the MP was extremely well made with lots of different gametype options, one for instance where u gotta catch some animal that makes u immune to force powers.

Saber was really cool to they say and u can press a "lock" button that makes your saber lock with another enememys saber.

All n all they say its very very good, despite the AI n puzzel flaws wich I really dont care about. I will play it MP 99.64% of the time anyway and that part was VERY good they said.

Ok, dont have more typing energy.

oh and thanks for the chocolate Jedi Medallion... (?) I find that Stormhammer creature to be a little .. odd .
Old 03-03-2002, 05:31 PM   #14
digl
Reborn

thanks
so MP is great, I will also play 99% of the time MP, so I dont care much about the SP puzzles

If you think StormHammer and his Jedi Medallions are odd, wait till Jediknight_114 or Agen_Terminator start giving gifts...
Old 03-03-2002, 05:35 PM   #15
Eternity

Quote:
I find that Stormhammer creature to be a little .. odd .
Thank you for making my day.

Insert a witty and thought-provoking quote here, I can't think of any.
Eternity is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 05:39 PM   #16
Walker of Sky

I'm happy they found the MP part of the game to be very good. I would think that the MP was the most important part the developers felt they needed to work on, and since some reviews felt that it was good, I think the developers accomplished their mission.

"The ability to do a thing is not all there is. You must know the thing. You must master every facet of it. You must understand how it fits with everything else you know. You must possess it for it to be truly yours."

-Luke Skywalker
Walker of Sky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 06:13 PM   #17
Woad

That x-ray vision A.I kinda sounds like MOH:AA
Alot of people complained about it, but it only served to make things that much more fun and realistic for me.

En Guarde!

Saorsa gu brath!
Old 03-03-2002, 06:23 PM   #18
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorewin
oh and thanks for the chocolate Jedi Medallion... (?)
You're welcome.

Quote:
I find that Stormhammer creature to be a little .. odd .

You have no idea.

And a big welcome to you too, ShortThug. Here... *hands over a chocolate Jedi Medallion*.
|
|
v
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 06:26 PM   #19
ShortThug

90% is pretty good.

The Proud Co-Owner of Mod Planet - www.modplnet.cjb.net - The place for all your favorite mods!

And that my friend, is true.
ShortThug is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 02:03 AM   #20
Proto

I can bet those "annoying puzzle solving" is not really different from this in Jedi Knight or even Dark Forces and generally older, more ambitious games. I guess people just got used to "run and gun" type games and every puzzle gets annoing. Well, that's what i'll love JO for. Too good AI doesn't bother me either as it gets a tradition in latest FPS (RtCW, MoH:AA). For me those cons are pros as they just prolong the gameplay and make it more challenging. So if they cut down the score because of this down to 90%, then for me it's 110%
Proto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 02:23 AM   #21
ZePhyR

Guys, we have to accept the fact that this game may not be perfect, and afterall, 90% is nothing to complain about. It's still Editor's Choice as far as PC Gamer's Ranking goes, isn't it?

~ZePh
ZePhyR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 10:24 AM   #22
Lorewin

yep, it got the Game of the month award.
They werent annoed with the fact that there are puzzles, just that there are stupid puzzles.

ALso there was a cool MP option where one guy is a Jedi Master and everyone else has blasters and have to kill him to be master themselfs, but Its probably old news .
I really dont care if its totaly crap Singe play. Shure Ill play through single once. BUt with a good MP the game could last for years.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:43 AM   #23
RoyalGuard

90% is good enough, any game is going to have flaws especially at the beta stage.

Glad to hear that kill the fool with the Ysalmari made it to JKO, and a Master Tag sounds cool. I anticipate a complete lack of real social life after the release (which can't come soon enough!)

TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI!
------------------------------------------------
'Y' AI 'NG'NGAH
YOG-SOTHOTH
H'EE - L'GEB
F'AI 'THRODOG
UAAAH!
-----------------------------------------------
'You fool, Warren is DEAD!'
RoyalGuard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 10:46 AM   #24
digl
Reborn

Its not exactly KFY, Its CTFY
Instead of flag there is a branch with a ysalamiri
check the zone JO site help section for info on the mp modes
Old 03-04-2002, 01:04 PM   #25
Darth Simpson
Fudgy Cakes of Doom

90% is not pretty good, 90% is an exceptional game. It seems like most of you are complaining about JKII getting 90%, which is pretty dumb. Again, 90% is excellent / great / incredible etc.
Darth Simpson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 01:15 PM   #26
ZeroXcape
Another Grim Jedi

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by darthfergie
What!!! 90%

I say we get a couple of Sith together and go teach them how to review games.

Lets go guys...
Yes... Some Sith and a scary Jawa!

ZeroXcape

"Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!"
ZeroXcape is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 01:37 PM   #27
digl
Reborn

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Simpson
90% is not pretty good, 90% is an exceptional game. It seems like most of you are complaining about JKII getting 90%, which is pretty dumb. Again, 90% is excellent / great / incredible etc.
I know It's great, I was joking when I asked why not 100%

Hey Zero what would you rate the game?

Co-founder of the ABSL - Anti Batsaber League
Old 03-04-2002, 08:16 PM   #28
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

Hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorewin
Well, the only complaints they had on the game was that It had some annoying puzzle solving in the worst console fashion, and that the AI was to good almost as if they had xray vision n could see through walls.
I think you might have to take the review with a few grains of salt... I don't know where they'd get the x-ray AI thing... and there is no "saber lock" key (or anything vaguely like that), so I think they're a bit misinformed... I wonder if they actually got to play the game? I also don't know what version of the game they saw/played...

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
ChangKhan[RAVEN] is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 08:17 PM   #29
Wacky_Baccy

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I think 90% is a good score - not as good as I'd have hoped for, but more than respectable - especially if they were reviewing a beta complete with Batsaber effects

Hello Mike - care to tell us anything about the BatSaber's status?

I miss digl. ...I found digl!
Wacky_Baccy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 10:52 PM   #30
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

Quote:
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
Hello Mike - care to tell us anything about the BatSaber's status?
Yeah. I've been following the thread and all I have to say is the arguments and justifications are pretty much moot at this point.

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
ChangKhan[RAVEN] is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 11:35 PM   #31
Darth Yittreas

Hey, mike, could you please tell us if what we saw in the video was the strongest stance?

Darth Yittreas
Dark Lord of Sith
Darth Yittreas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 11:38 PM   #32
Wacky_Baccy

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by ChangKhan
Yeah. I've been following the thread and all I have to say is the arguments and justifications are pretty much moot at this point.
I'm not really sure if that's good or bad... But I expect that's what you intended

[Sheer speculation - "I know nothing!" ]
JKII:JO will go gold very soon (read: within a week), which is why all points are moot - they couldn't change it now even if they wanted to.
[/Sheer speculation]
Wacky_Baccy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2002, 02:47 AM   #33
Obi

<font color=cbcbff> So either it's already been fixed or it's still in there but the game is complete and no matter how much we whine, squeal, complain, and interpret, we argue to no avail. Either way, I suppose there's really not much of a point to arguing it anymore. Their goal is sales. A fun game gets the most sales. The lightbat won't totally kill the game's fun if it's still there and they are not losing me as a customer because this game is mine either way.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2002, 03:41 AM   #34
Ulic Quel Droma

screwed that up didnt ya Obi

hey mike, what can we expect with the reborns?, will they go up in skill and how often will we encoutner them?

To know the light, You must see the dark.
Ulic Quel Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2002, 04:11 AM   #35
Jedi Nizar

this review ist full of error,
like they said in the begening that Kyle gived his lightsaber to luke after his father died.
after his father died??!!! he got his saber after his father died!!!!

"It will be a hard life, one without reword, without remorse without regret. a path is placed before you, there are choices that you must learn. Do waht you think you can not do. It will be a hard life, but you will find out who you are." Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn
Jedi Nizar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2002, 10:35 AM   #36
digl
Reborn

Quote:
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

hmmm
I checked dictionary.com and based on that and in Wacky's answer, I guess he means that It's an arguable thing but irrelevant.

So I guess there will be batsaber in the game, altough we don't know how often it will appear

This was predictable, the game entered beta stage several weeks ago, so I doubted we could get anything changed

Someone mentioned on the poll thread that we were freaks complaining about this, and that some people mentioned not buying the game. Some people take things too seriously, the ABSL is a joke (altough I think I'll keep that in my sig )

I would have prefered real working LS, but that will be in JO2 or later. If there is no real saber I would prefer JK like deaths always, but I will have to get used to the BS

Now care to tell us anything about the current state you are in?

Will the game go gold really soon? when will the demo be released?
No you can't answer that probably...

Co-founder of the ABSL - Anti Batsaber League
Old 03-05-2002, 11:14 AM   #37
P129

Hi ho everyone!

I (as probably many others) have been watching this forum since waaay back but has never registered because my questions often get asked (and answered) by other ppl. Now the time has come for me to enter the stage and waste more of my free time by posting here.

Why i choose to register now was because of the negative reactions to this swedish review of JK2:JO by swedish PCG.

To start of have to say that I was quite disappointed with the score of the game. By other reviews i had hoped for a higher score. But in my disappointment i recalled that the swedish PCG had started with a new score-rating-systemabob just some months ago making high percentage in games less frequent. The readers had criticized the high scores of games, (for example; Black and White 96% = Game of the Month, later with the new system; MoH:AA (that got appraises like "It's almost better than H-L" and was really liked bye swe-PCG) 94% = Game of the Month).

So in other words 90% is damn good in swedish PCG. And it got the magic title "Game of the Month".

We are just more picky in Sweden it seems .

And btw ChangKhan don't worry, they never mention anything about a "Sabre Lock-key", Lorewin must have misinterpreted the text. And that thing about X-ray AI, well the reviewer is known for not being extremely good at FPS's .

Though I still think of one thing, swe-PCG has declared that they only review full-fledged, gone-gold versions of games and this version has not been translated as i have read the UK version. So what have they really been playing? Hrm...

If this text is unreadable because of misspelling and/or other problems contact the forum support team.
P129 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2002, 12:01 PM   #38
grumpycrab

Quote:
Originally posted by P129
Hi ho everyone!

...swe-PCG has declared that they only review full-fledged, gone-gold versions of games and this version has not been translated as i have read the UK version. So what have they really been playing? Hrm...
Well swe-PCG are lying. The game has not gone gold. Treat it as a preview and there's no problem.
--
Grumps
grumpycrab is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2002, 09:09 AM   #39
P129

Quote:
Originally posted by grumpycrab

Well swe-PCG are lying. The game has not gone gold. Treat it as a preview and there's no problem.
--
Grumps
Maybe it's not a Gold version of the game but probably a Beta or late Beta version so why shouldn't I treat it as a review? They had the MoH:AA Beta long before the review but never reviewed it because of it's obvious flaws and bugs. Surely they reviewed the Beta version but they never review a to early Beta version of a game, it's absolutely fresh so it's at least the latest Beta version. The UK PCG did it aswell and I sure ass hell don't treat it as a preview as it probably is really close to the Gold version.

If this text is unreadable because of misspelling and/or other problems contact the forum support team.
P129 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2002, 09:22 AM   #40
TUS_Tomcat

the UK one was a pre beta version...

Founder of the PWSL

Pro White Sabercore League

(non racist organisation!)
TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > New Review