lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: CD Key Question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-03-2002, 02:04 AM   #1
jedialphaknight
Banned

CD Key Question

I was wondering, will there be a cd key required to play JK2? or for multiplayer at least?
jedialphaknight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 02:07 AM   #2
JackTheGaffer

Ahhh.... a little early to be cracking a CD ehh?
JackTheGaffer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 02:12 AM   #3
Obi

<font color=cbcbff> I'm sure there'll be a CD-key. There's nothing us pirates......I mean <i>those</i> pirates can't crack if they really want to.

I wanna be a PIRATE!
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 02:30 AM   #4
Sarcastic Saint

Well these days all games ship with a cd-key dont they?? i mean i've cracked so many of them lately...eh...you didnt hear that *slips everybody a 100$ bill*
Old 03-03-2002, 03:31 AM   #5
bliv

They may follow Medal of Honor and put the installation over 2 discs as well as having a CD Key.
bliv is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 03:34 AM   #6
Ulic Quel Droma

O_o dont you think JO is WORTH buying?!

*shakes his head in shame*

To know the light, You must see the dark.
Ulic Quel Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 10:08 AM   #7
simon says

Hey, this $100 looks phony! *takes it to the lab* JO will definetly be on 2 cds, like JK was, but i don't know about a key. Lucas Arts games usually don't have em. GB didn't have one.
simon says is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 11:09 AM   #8
jedialphaknight
Banned

oh, yeah I have all intents in buying it I just wanted to know cuz I have a lan and all and want other peeps to play online wit me.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:25 PM   #9
L3onheart

I DID ask that in the gamesdomain chat with the developers. I asked it TWICE!
Did THEY answer it? NO! They simply avoided it. The question got posted twice and they ignored it twice!
L3onheart is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 01:32 PM   #10
digl
Reborn

yep I was there
It was probably because they dont want to give info the crackers to start working already, as someone said
digl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 01:46 PM   #11
nu||ifier

Multiplayer will probably require a genuine cd key checked on the master server like quake 3 and Elite Force which will not allow 2 people with the same key to play at the same time- although Medal Of Honour doesnt have cd checking and is playable online with the same cd key by different users.

nu||ifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #12
jedialphaknight
Banned

yeah wuts up with that? no cd key requirements for for MoH: AA there erally isn't a point to having a cd key then.....hrmmm also I haven't seen other lucasarts games requiring cd keys.............
Old 03-03-2002, 05:29 PM   #13
Syko

Yeah, but this is Raven/id, and their games (EF, Q3A, and Q3:TA) have CD keys, much like Half-Life.

-Syko
Syko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 05:38 PM   #14
Eternity

Yeah, Half-Life's CD-Keys stopped those pirates dead.

Half-Life was a good game. (No unique territory there..) And I never played one minute of multi-player, so I was saved being tainted.

Insert a witty and thought-provoking quote here, I can't think of any.
Eternity is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 06:51 PM   #15
TimTheEnchanter

Quote:
Originally posted by simon says
JO will definetly be on 2 cds, like JK was.
What information do you have that it is on 2 cd's? I have yet to see anything official on this Based on the system requirements from the official site for installing the game you only need 665MB of hard drive space compared too 800mb for a game like Return to Castle Wolfenstein which fit on one disc. I could see maybe 2 cds to play all the great star wars music but RTCW had a decent length soundtrack and again all fit on one cd. The only reason I could see for 2 cds would be out of tradition but I would be happier with just one.

To the north there lies a cave -- the cave of Caerbannorg -- wherein, carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Olfin Bedweer of Rheged make plain the last resting place of the most Holy Grail.
TimTheEnchanter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 07:00 PM   #16
Ki-Adi-Mundi

If having two CD's required for instillation and a CD Key means a better, or safer, or something like that JO community, then I'm all for it.

If people don't have to buy the game to play it, then that is a sales loss for LEC (like it really matters for them) and Raven. LEC can afford any type of loss they suffer, so I'm not worried about ripping anything from them. But Raven is a different story. These guys working there aren't all millionaires ya know. They don't ride around wearin' gold chains and rings all over the place in their Dodge Vipers. So if they get HUGE sales, then LEC might team up with Raven again and make more games with them for us to play. But if they don't make too many sales (think on a nation and worldwide sale level) then they might not make any more games.

Ki-Adi-Mundi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 07:02 PM   #17
jedialphaknight
Banned

Hey TimTheEnchanter, I checked out your desktop...you had a Jedi Outcast icon on there..............................wuts that...
Old 03-03-2002, 07:02 PM   #18
digl
Reborn

I also think It will be only one CD
digl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 07:17 PM   #19
TimTheEnchanter

Quote:
Originally posted by jedialphaknight
Hey TimTheEnchanter, I checked out your desktop...you had a Jedi Outcast icon on there..............................wuts that...

What is the purpose to this post?, I guess it was meant as humor
but I didnt quite get it. What was your point?

To the north there lies a cave -- the cave of Caerbannorg -- wherein, carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Olfin Bedweer of Rheged make plain the last resting place of the most Holy Grail.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:27 PM   #20
jedialphaknight
Banned

No Tim I am being serious, wut is that icon for...you don't happen to have the game do you?
Old 03-03-2002, 07:27 PM   #21
hahadude

I'm kinda hoping that it is like 5 cds. But that is just my love of rendered cut scenes I guess. If it has as many movies as the first JK, than it will definetely have to be more than 1 cd.

hAHaDuDE
hahadude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 07:35 PM   #22
Krayt Tion

Spread it out over five discs, stick it with the standard q3 cd key system, it doesn't much matter to me. I'm buying it either way and none of those things will be terribly inconvenient to me.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:39 PM   #23
Bio Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by hahadude
I'm kinda hoping that it is like 5 cds. But that is just my love of rendered cut scenes I guess. If it has as many movies as the first JK, than it will definetely have to be more than 1 cd.
even if there were more cut scenes than in JK1 there wouldnt be any need for it to go on more than 1 cd and they already said its gonna be on 1 cd
Bio Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 07:45 PM   #24
Desslock

It is the Q3:TA engine after all. Why take out the CDKey stuff?

JKII will definately run on 2 discs... theres not a good reason why it wouldn't. If Im right, it'll be as long and contain as much, if not more content, than CnC Renegade did, and they put it on 2 CDs.

Crackers wont need to be doing a lot of work. Its just like cracking a Q3:TA CDkey, unless Raven upgraded the encryption level of the Keys.
Desslock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 07:47 PM   #25
TimTheEnchanter

Quote:
No Tim I am being serious, wut is that icon for...you don't happen to have the game do you?

Ya got me, I have an entire beta, the multiplayer bot ai need some tweaking though. My piece of crap system runs the game great though probably cause there are no large outdoor enviroments. Fans of the previous will love this version and the voice acting is good. I wish I could only describe to you the role vehicles play in the game but youll just have to wait.

Old 03-03-2002, 08:02 PM   #26
jedialphaknight
Banned

Hey tim check your private messages I sent you something
Old 03-03-2002, 08:07 PM   #27
Belgirion

hey tim can you send me a beta
Belgirion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 08:12 PM   #28
Bio Warrior

i seriously doubt tim has the beta and if he did its probable a pirated version of it
Old 03-03-2002, 08:21 PM   #29
jedialphaknight
Banned

yeah but if it was a pirated version.....don't you think we would all know about one?
Old 03-03-2002, 08:28 PM   #30
SaberPro
00 Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by bliv
They may follow Medal of Honor and put the installation over 2 discs as well as having a CD Key.
I don't think MOHAA multiplayer checks your CD Key though. I had it cracked and it works in Multiplayer too

SaberPro
Alliance of the Jedi (AOJ)
ZoneFriend = AOJ_SaberPro

"The Force is with you young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!" - Darth Vader
SaberPro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 08:29 PM   #31
Bio Warrior

Quote:
yeah but if it was a pirated version.....don't you think we would all know about one?
not if it was a pirated version of the beta
Old 03-03-2002, 08:38 PM   #32
TimTheEnchanter

I dont have a beta or anything of JO, I recently even deleted the movies to make some harddrive space, jedialphaknight was so insisting he saw my desktop and saw an icon that I played along.

Oh jedialphaknight check your private messages.

Last edited by TimTheEnchanter; 03-03-2002 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:59 PM   #33
jedialphaknight
Banned

well I feel dumb, must be all this anticipation
Old 03-03-2002, 09:17 PM   #34
Ulic Quel Droma

heh, just sounds like some good old ****e stering to me :P

To know the light, You must see the dark.
Ulic Quel Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2002, 09:28 PM   #35
TimTheEnchanter

Quote:
Originally posted by Desslock
It is the Q3:TA engine after all. Why take out the CDKey stuff?

JKII will definately run on 2 discs... theres not a good reason why it wouldn't. If Im right, it'll be as long and contain as much, if not more content, than CnC Renegade did, and they put it on 2 CDs.

Crackers wont need to be doing a lot of work. Its just like cracking a Q3:TA CDkey, unless Raven upgraded the encryption level of the Keys.

I dont think its reasonable to compare it to C&C Renegade. Remember C&C Renegade was Westwood's first attempt at building a 3-d shooter type game and game engine like that and so they may not know how to utilize space as efficent as Raven. Its also possible(dont go into shock) that the game is not as long as Jedi Knight.

Heres what they said from the recent chat:

JuryDuty: How much playtime will this game have compared to JK?

Kevin S: That's pretty hard to say for sure. JKII is plenty long

If the game is shorter do you think there gonna just come out and say so, Of Course Not!!. I wouldn't if I worked there. I think there answer may be evading a shorter length Then JK, Remember the complaint that most people had about the last game they released: Elite Force was too short. Plus JO had a pretty short development time of slightly over a year. Most lengthy first person shooters games have a 2-3 yr development time. But I dont care, if the game is fun the replay value on this one may be good and the multiplayer will keep me busy until Unreal 2.

Old 03-03-2002, 09:41 PM   #36
jedialphaknight
Banned

could be 2 cds...if there is an in depth multiplayer and single player I wouldn't doubt it, though wolfenstein was like that and was just one cd.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:46 PM   #37
Bio Warrior

i remember seeing that JK2 will be one cd somewhere but i forget where i saw it
Old 03-03-2002, 09:56 PM   #38
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Yeah.. that's been said somewhere... sadly enough.. no more almost easy LAN-ing for me ^_^"
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 02:24 AM   #39
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
well, for SoF you didnt need a CD to play, do ya think you'll need it for JKii? probably with the music, but there will prob be a no-cd crack not long after its release... not that i support any illegal activities...

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2002, 04:18 AM   #40
L3onheart

It'll be one CD only i'm pretty sure and you won't need the CD to play MP, just like you don't need it to play Half-life, RtCW or any other FPS game.
L3onheart is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > CD Key Question