lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: lightsabers underwater
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-19-2002, 07:12 PM   #1
jedialphaknight
Banned

lightsabers underwater

hrmm ever think about it? ok well two aspects, prolly in the game it will just show up or not ignite?, but in the "real world" I wonder if it would bend around and stuff heh.
jedialphaknight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 07:24 PM   #2
Obi

Most lightsabers short out when they are submerged while ignited. There was a scene cut from the Phantom Menace where Obi-Wan get's chastized by Qui-Gon for leaving his lightsaber on(again) and jumping in the water. Ever wonder why he was running from that STAP and didn't just turn around and deflect the shots himself? Qui-Gon had to do it because Obi-Wan messed up his lightsaber in the water. Some lightsabers made by fancier builders have water seals, I've heard, but Obi-Wan's didn't.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 07:27 PM   #3
Generique Fin

Episode II has a scene
spoiler:
with Jango Fett & Obi-Wan fighting in the sea and it is raining with Obi-Wans lightsaber on.
<--- Spoiler if you have not seen the more recent Episode II trailers...

"No, there is another" - Master Yoda
Generique Fin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 07:35 PM   #4
Apparition

Quote:
Originally posted by Obi
Most lightsabers short out when they are submerged while ignited. There was a scene cut from the Phantom Menace where Obi-Wan get's chastized by Qui-Gon for leaving his lightsaber on(again) and jumping in the water. Ever wonder why he was running from that STAP and didn't just turn around and deflect the shots himself? Qui-Gon had to do it because Obi-Wan messed up his lightsaber in the water. Some lightsabers made by fancier builders have water seals, I've heard, but Obi-Wan's didn't.
Yeah they filmed this scene. There are pictures of it on the web and there was a behind the scenes video that had a clip of it but it wasn't included on the DVD. Obi-wan had left his lightsaber power on and that's why it wouldn't ignite. If you're in water you have to turn it off I guess.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 07:45 PM   #5
Jeedii_zaarinn

Location: ej's pirate house, near skull cove in the carribean.
in the young jedi knight's book crisis at crystal reefe, all the jedi was able to use their lightsabers underwater and i guess theirs was included with a water seal

Phillipians 4:13: I can do everything because Christ gives me strength.
Jeedii_zaarinn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 07:50 PM   #6
Darth Lunatic

Sabers worked underwater in Jedi Knight and Mots.....

----Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed----
Darth Lunatic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 07:51 PM   #7
Jeedii_zaarinn

Location: ej's pirate house, near skull cove in the carribean.
yeah but i always shut mine off just to make it realistic

Phillipians 4:13: I can do everything because Christ gives me strength.
Jeedii_zaarinn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 07:52 PM   #8
Kwup

I would hope that if you can make a lightsaber you can make it water proof

There are 3 types of people in this world: Those that can count, and those that can't.
Kwup is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 08:04 PM   #9
Desslock

Interesting variable of Saber Construction of SW:Galaxies I had not considered. Thanks for bringing this up
Desslock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 08:25 PM   #10
Chiss Lord

This isn't comfirmed but it is rumored that the reason activated sabers shorted out when under water in Episode 1 had something to do with the power levels of damage, mentioned in Jedi Apprentice. Of course, they were only used at the Jedi Temple, and Luke's didn't do that. Which meant that the entire New Jedi Order doesn't. This would also explain why the sabers worked underwater in Crisis at Crystal Reef.

I guess that makes technical sense but I think Lucas just made a mistake or an excuse.

""Ideas are really everywhere. A writer has to train him or herself to look at everything they see or hear with an eye toward "how can I use this, how does this fit with other ideas I've had." There are no lack of ideas. It's not a particular skill to come up with these ideas. The ideas are the easy part. It's taking the ideas and developing them into English that is the work aspect."
- Timothy Zahn
Chiss Lord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:50 PM   #11
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeedii_zaarinn
in the young jedi knight's book crisis at crystal reefe, all the jedi was able to use their lightsabers underwater and i guess theirs was included with a water seal
I like those books, I've read like 5 of them, I only own the first one though, one day it was in my book case, I thought it was a crapy Spanish Star Wars book because Jason and Jaina looked like they are Mexican then I read it, it was awsome, and the light saber thing I think is some thing that they over looked.

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 03:09 AM   #12
Broode

Did anyone realise, when you fired a blaster bolt into the water in JK1, it would refract? ie. bend in the water. I used this in canyon oasis to shoot someone I couldn't see by bending it around the wall.

On topic, lightsabers should stay on in the water, and it would be cool if they refracted as well. Talking about refraction, thats the problem with every videogames water; the light does not refract. It would take a helluva flot of cpu power, but I think it would break the final barrier into making water seem realistic (besides realistic ripples - major cpu hog)

-Broode-
- I am Oobiedoob Benobi. I have the Silliest name in the Galaxy.
- Whats your middle name?
- Scoobie Doobie.
- Oobiedoob Scoobie Doobie Benobi?
Broode is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 08:17 AM   #13
IES_Horn_SWS

Speaking of refraction, in JKI, if you shot at an underwater enemy while standing on a ledge or something, the blaster bolts would skip across the water sometimes. That's hard to hit fishies with , but very cool.

Fear is of the Dark Side. However, fear is also used by mortals when they reach a situation they should not have come to. In reality, fear is a tool to find weaknesses and exploit them.
IES_Horn_SWS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:21 AM   #14
Furious Fish

have a look at:
http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres4a.htm
Furious Fish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 04:05 PM   #15
Dirth Vedar

Quote:
Originally posted by Obi
Q: How many stormtrooper does it take to beat a jedi?
A: 4, one to throw a bucket of water at jedi, and the other three to beat him with a stick.
Dirth Vedar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 05:09 PM   #16
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Yasmine Bleeth was the scientist who perfected the water-proof lightsaber, shortly after Senator Palpatine became Supreme Chancellor of the Senate.

Well, okay, I made that up.. but something like that probably happened. Or else Obi-Wan had bought his lightsaber parts from K-Mart... ; )

PS: Luke's saber worked underwater in Splinter of the Mind's Eye, add that to the Young Jedi Knights example of EU sabers working underwater. It's probably safe to say that waterproof sabers were invented sometime later, or else Obi-Wan's was just a crappy one.

I really hope the sabers work in water like in JK/MotS.. or it will get ridiculous (Besides, if sabers don't work in water, neither would blasters, I would think). Otherwise you'd have divisions of Super-Soaker carrying Stormtroopers (Rain Troopers?). ; )

Btw, good article, I like the Synicon site (I referenced him for my "saber color" arguments.. although some of his data will need a revision for Episode II). Pretty good.
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #17
Angrysquirrel

what energy does a light sabre use to inflict damage?

If it is a laser, how come the beam stops at a certain level? If it's electricty and you turned it on underwater, wouldn't you get electricuted? What do these things run on?

A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my suede jacket. "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" she sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone, "I didn't know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you too."
-Jake Johanson
Angrysquirrel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 05:58 PM   #18
SaberPro
00 Agent

A Lightsaber is a fictional weapon; it is NOT laser, and it is NOT plasma.

Lightsaber might have characteristics of a laser (which is a type of light), BUT it doesn't possess EVERY SINGLE characteristics, such as Light can stop Light.

Same to the plasma.

Although it IS possible to make a lightsaber from ELECTRICITY...I saw it on some magazine...it just won't be "as powerful as you imagine" it would be...

SaberPro
Alliance of the Jedi (AOJ)
ZoneFriend = AOJ_SaberPro

"The Force is with you young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!" - Darth Vader
SaberPro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > lightsabers underwater