lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Game Shipping Early?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-18-2002, 10:33 PM   #1
Syko

Game Shipping Early?

I reserved a copy of JKII at my local EBX (my EB in the mall), and since they didn't have the SKU for the standard version, they put the collector's edition on the receipt but charged me for the standard version. Anyway, they told me to call/come back later to have them switch it or something.

So, I went back tonight and talked to the guy there, and he said, "Jedi Knight 2 isn't in the computer anymore as reserveable, and it isn't on the printout either." (he had a printout of the reserveable games and their release dates, and JKII wasn't on it) "That means it's been shipped." I was excited by this and asked whether it might show up early, and he said, "Yeah, it's possible, it's happened before."

It would be awesome if I got the game THIS week instead of next week That would be a nice surprise. But I'm not getting my hopes up, and I'm thinking/telling myself that the guy was stupid and doesn't know what he's talking about and that the game won't be in the store until the 29th...but i'm still calling every 2 days to see if it's in They said they'd call me when they got it, too, which is cool.

Here's hoping. Anyone else heard anything like this?

-Syko
Syko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 10:42 PM   #2
Justus

All this wishful talking is giving me delusions of grandeur

Justus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 10:45 PM   #3
Zek

I called EB yesterday asking them when they're getting it in, and he said he couldn't find a date in the computer. He wasn't so bold as to suggest that it was coming early, though. If it does, I doubt they're allowed to sell it, but I've heard of people getting a game pre-release because the stores got it early(some companies do that to insure it's there on time) and an ignorant employee sold it to them. We can only hope.
Zek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 10:46 PM   #4
OmegaRad

I HOPE TO GOD YOUR RIGHT!

Omega

Word to your mother... you just got owned.
OmegaRad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 10:49 PM   #5
Syko

Why would they NOT be allowed to sell it? I would think that a game developer/publisher would be praised if their game came out 10 days BEFORE the announced release date! I, for one, would be thrilled That's a bad marketing decision in my opinion and I don't see anything that would be bad about it.

If I get the game before others of you, I'd laugh a lot, and then take some pictures of the box and manual and such and post them on my website so nobody would think i warezed it or was lying. But that's only if it comes out early

-Syko
Old 03-18-2002, 10:54 PM   #6
mariners2001

Well, I don't know about getting it this week...but I just called my local EB and they informed me it'd be in stores on March 28th (one day early) and she allowed me to reserve a copy. One day early, sounds fine with me.

Skin Projects: (click on the links provided to download the files or view the current progress)
Emperor Palpatine: Completed
Jerec: Completed
Raas Avlow: Completed, but being redone
Mara Jade: Completed, but being redone which is nearly complete, New Mara WIP
Anakin Skywalker: Completed
Count Dooku: Done, not released
Ibtisam (Mon Calamari model) normal and rogue flight suit: Pending release
Talon Karrde: Completed
Rock Fisto (Kit Fisto model): Never released

E-mail me if you'd like to see or try one of these skins that I've not yet released.
Also, if you have an idea for a skin for me to make (Star Wars based preferably), please e-mail me with that idea and I'll take it under consideration for a future project.
mariners2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 10:57 PM   #7
Syko

Yeah, that's what they told me when I originally reserved it, too, and i was skeptical of that as well :| Oh well...we can only hope.

-Syko
Old 03-18-2002, 10:57 PM   #8
mariners2001

Quote:
If I get the game before others of you, I'd laugh a lot, and then take some pictures of the box and manual and such and post them on my website so nobody would think i warezed it or was lying. But that's only if it comes out early
Syko, it's more like Sicko!

you'd post screens right?

Skin Projects: (click on the links provided to download the files or view the current progress)
Emperor Palpatine: Completed
Jerec: Completed
Raas Avlow: Completed, but being redone
Mara Jade: Completed, but being redone which is nearly complete, New Mara WIP
Anakin Skywalker: Completed
Count Dooku: Done, not released
Ibtisam (Mon Calamari model) normal and rogue flight suit: Pending release
Talon Karrde: Completed
Rock Fisto (Kit Fisto model): Never released

E-mail me if you'd like to see or try one of these skins that I've not yet released.
Also, if you have an idea for a skin for me to make (Star Wars based preferably), please e-mail me with that idea and I'll take it under consideration for a future project.
mariners2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 10:57 PM   #9
PimpusOlympus

Welp, I ordered the game through EBgames.com and they haven't charged my card yet. So I don't think it's headed my way early just yet...
[keeping fingers crossed]

[/stopped keeping fingers crossed after realizing that I wont even be able to play it if it comes early... doh!]

-PimpusOlympus-
PimpusOlympus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 11:04 PM   #10
indianajones9

I remember getting outlaws Very early. It didn't work, I called tech support at lucas and they asked how i got it.
indianajones9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 11:07 PM   #11
jedimindtrick

Gamestop.com says Outcast will be released on the 27th.

Mmmkay
jedimindtrick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 11:09 PM   #12
Darth Ergotht

Oh my god. That means I have to call every stores near me to know if they'll get it sooner. I wish so. I keep my finger crossed because I live in Canada and maybe, just maybe, it could be late.

"When we will see each other on the battlefield I won't be so easy on you like I am now"
Darth Ergotht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 11:13 PM   #13
jedimindtrick

What a surpise it would be if it was released tomorrow.. hehe

Oh well, I can wait 11 days..
I think...hehe
Old 03-18-2002, 11:37 PM   #14
Rat Boy

Well, that fits with all the rumors that the LEC pre-orders are shipping this week as well.
Rat Boy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2002, 11:46 PM   #15
Syko

Of course I would post screens...but I'm thinking more and more that it won't come out early

-Syko
Old 03-19-2002, 01:03 AM   #16
MustangMatt302

Post I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!

Oh, man I hope it has shipped. That means I could get my pre-order by Thursday, still in time for the last weekend of Spring Break. OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Animator: Jedi Fortress

Jedi Fortress: Team Fortress with a side of Lightsaber

"Sometimes people say I look like a model or that 'you should be a model'."
MustangMatt302 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 01:11 AM   #17
BuRn

I usually get my preordered games one day early from Babbages, if you preordered theyll give it to you as soon as they get it in.
BuRn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 01:42 AM   #18
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
*shakes himself*

All signs point to NO. Sorry guys

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 02:29 AM   #19
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
well, i guess you kinda put a ka-bosh to that whole theory Gonk, boy, you sure can ruin hope

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 02:43 AM   #20
Swoosh
reporting for duty

LFN Staff Member 
Syko, they generally don't like stores releasing a game early because that store will get a leg up and everyone will buy from them since they have an unfair advantage. Sometimes those stores don't get games from that company any more...atleast not at first.

Swoosh

mtnLab
LFNetwork Graphic Designer
Swoosh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 02:51 AM   #21
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 03:05 AM   #22
Brick

What is this about rumors that LA is shipping their preorders this week? I was away a couple of days. Did I miss something? Is this how they'll make sure to get it to us the same week as it lands in stores?

Obviously, they can't make sure it'll get here exactly on Friday. Therefore it just has to be somewhere in the same week to hold up LA's own guarantee. Which is why I figure, once again, that those of us who pre-ordered from LA will have the game in our laps at least a day or two early.
Brick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 04:43 AM   #23
Hoowl

Stores often get the game in a few days before the official release but arn't allowed to sell it until the actual day. As for orders on-line ect, they could arrive a day early but then again they could arrive a day late. It depends where you ordered it from and when they decide to send it out.
Hoowl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 10:58 AM   #24
craigybry

Thats right JKII will not be sold in retailers before the 29th march because they would be breaking the law, unless Lucas Arts officially shifts the release date forward. Can i just ask is it a worldwide release date, will everyone be albe to get the game in stores on the 29th, but most importantly will it be out in the UK??
craigybry is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:05 AM   #25
ryudom

call me crazy but i hope it doesn't come out before the 28 (or after the 29), i have that day off (i think most students do?) and it'll be more exciting then getting it on a school day
ryudom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:08 AM   #26
Jedimaster74

I really hope it does come out earlier than expected so that I can start playing

"There are many Jedi's out there in the Galaxy, but their is only one True JediMaster and Thats ME"
Jedimaster74 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:11 AM   #27
TUS_Tomcat

I hope it comes out on the 28th (the store's computer says that, I find it tough to believe but i PRAY the computer is right!), cause i have that thursday off, the friday too, sat and sun naturally, and mon and tuesday i have off as well

Founder of the PWSL

Pro White Sabercore League

(non racist organisation!)
TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:15 AM   #28
SaberPro
00 Agent

WHAT? You have everyday off...Spring Break already?!

SaberPro
Alliance of the Jedi (AOJ)
ZoneFriend = AOJ_SaberPro

"The Force is with you young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!" - Darth Vader
SaberPro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:29 AM   #29
CorranHornjr

I remember going into Barns n noble one time and asking if a book was out yet. The guy said that it doesn't release for another 4 days...but that they did have it in stock in the store. He said that they were not allowed to sell it until the release date.

So i am sure it is the same for video games, but who knows. I am just trying to wait patiently, and keep myself occupied.

later on...

And then there were was one...
CorranHornjr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:44 AM   #30
HBK

I just got off the phone with my place, Software Etc..., and they said they will have it in store to sell, I can pick up my pre-order, on the 28th. Just throwin it out there.

HBK

HBK

"When kissed by the sword of Vengeance
Your head lays there by your side"

"Oh people, know that you have commited great sins. If you ask me what proof I have for these words, I say it is because I am the punishment of God. If you had not commited great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you!"
Genghis Khan, 1220
HBK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #31
Daedelus

There is some legal type stuff behind holding the game before the actual release date. I remember the same type of situation with Dark Age of Camelot and EB. The boxes were chilling in a warehouse a few days before the official live date and they wouldn't allow any stores to sell them. It being an online only game that might be different than JO, but I doubt it as there is multiplay as well through the Zone.

D

~ Daedelus ~
"This ain't like dustin' crops, boy!"
Daedelus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 12:07 PM   #32
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Maybe it will be like the Harry Potter book last year, te store maybe get it on the 27 and are told to put it on the shelfs on the 29 that would be cool!

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 12:28 PM   #33
P h o e n i x

Back in the day I wanted to get a game called Ultimate Race Pro by Microprose. I looked up the release date and it said later in the week. I called up EB and they already had it. I got it and installed it, but something was up. I called tech support and they asked how I had gotten it, heh.
P h o e n i x is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 12:42 PM   #34
indianajones9

Just reserved my JO from EB. The guy said the 28th. I said, "the 28th? It WILL BE HERE on the 28th?" He said yeah ships on the 27th here to buy in the 28th. I said, "what time should I stop by?" He said 12:00 - 2:00. I said SWEET.
indianajones9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 04:53 PM   #35
Syko

Yeah, that's why my EBX said too...that they'll get it on the 28th. Even THAT would be nice, but I'd rather be greedy and hope for earlier hehe

-Syko
Old 03-19-2002, 05:15 PM   #36
Generique Fin

Reality check. The game went gold last week. Which means it has not been at the duplication plants very long - I would be very surprised if they were able to make hundred of thousands (maybe millions) within not even a week.

You will not see Outcast this week - but next.

"No, there is another" - Master Yoda
Generique Fin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 05:23 PM   #37
Darth Ergotht

I think so !

"When we will see each other on the battlefield I won't be so easy on you like I am now"
Darth Ergotht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 05:26 PM   #38
Zek

Most stores seem to be predicting having it on the 28th; it's confirmed to be shipping out on the 27th. The 29th is probably Raven's official "All stores should have it by then" date.
Zek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 05:37 PM   #39
jedimindtrick

What a glorious week that will be for me.
Jedi Outcast, and a Bad Religion show..
Damn..
Old 03-19-2002, 05:38 PM   #40
Maynard

I worked at a Babbages during this past holiday season, and there wasnt any prevention rules for selling a game 'early'. I mean, if a game was to release say, the 29 march, and somehow they gota shipment the 20'th, they could and would sell it, after their pre-orders were taken care of.

Alive, I
Be my reminder here that I am not alone in This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal All this pain is an illusion. Twirling round with this familiar parable. Spinning, weaving round each new experience. Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing. This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.
Maynard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Game Shipping Early?