lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: OMG! Check it out!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-20-2002, 07:32 AM   #41
PraetorJudis

Vag, I went into Photoshop to proove my point, but you're right. I can edit that pic to make it close to the flying head, but not close enough. That'll teach me to make a stand in the morning before I've had several cups of coffee!

p.s. I still believe the photo to be a fake.

*gniltrohc yawa srednaw*
PraetorJudis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 07:55 AM   #42
Fardreamer

I don't know if anyone noticed this, but there is a faint cloud of smoke eminating from Kyle's chest. What I believe we are seeing is an edited screenshot of Kyle being hit by a blaster bolt.

Also, it is impossible that the German version won't have any gore while other versions will have. I remember it clearly being stated in an interview that all versions of the game will be identical in content, with the exception of translated documentation.
Fardreamer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 07:56 AM   #43
Kuluwen

its obviously fake..... I see the sabor from one of those twisted dark jedi dudes but no dark jedi. At 1st i was thinking the dude floating was because the lightsabor was hiting him in the neck or whatever and knocking him backwards (or something =P) But i doubt that enemy lightsabor users will be able to hit other enemies with it when they throw it. Fuzzy cause its taken from a newspaper but that just made it more easy to fake. The person who faked the pic just cut the head off rotated it and put it up higher. Then added his own backround where the head should have ben but sence its in such poor picture quality u can hardly tell. A trained monkey could have done this. (and prolly did) If anybody knows for a fact this is real then please let us know =).
Kuluwen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 09:41 AM   #44
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Well it could be edited.. the smoke coming from his neck could have been used to smudge out something that otherwise would have showed. (it's been done since the dawn of special effects) So right now I say are that the odds are 60% that it's edited.. but ofcourse.. then there's a 40% chance that it's real.. but if it's real.. I don't know.. I wouldn't want to see the head of the character that I'm playing fly somewhere. O_o I've grown fond of kyle over the years, I don't want to see his head come off. His hand sure it happened to Luke, but his HEAD?! anyways I'm done ranting ^_^"
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:12 AM   #45
T-Dogg

I guess we need somebody from Raven to convince everybody here that it's a fake. -sigh-

Look, people, like the developers have said oh-so-many times, this is Star Wars. YOU. CAN'T. CHOP. HEADS. OFF. IN. STAR. WARS. Comprende? Someone before me said this: It's a scan from a magazine, the head has been cut off an' rotated with Photoshop (or the like), pasted back, add some smudge that people think is smoke and there you go: fooled people dipped in dumb-sauce.
T-Dogg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:48 AM   #46
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Then what did Luke do to Vader/Himself in the cave on Dagobah? ^.^
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:57 AM   #47
TUS_Tomcat

that was fake too

Founder of the PWSL

Pro White Sabercore League

(non racist organisation!)
TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 11:09 AM   #48
Coby

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuluwen
its obviously fake..... I see the sabor from one of those twisted dark jedi dudes but no dark jedi. At 1st i was thinking the dude floating was because the lightsabor was hiting him in the neck or whatever and knocking him backwards (or something =P) But i doubt that enemy lightsabor users will be able to hit other enemies with it when they throw it. Fuzzy cause its taken from a newspaper but that just made it more easy to fake. The person who faked the pic just cut the head off rotated it and put it up higher. Then added his own backround where the head should have ben but sence its in such poor picture quality u can hardly tell. A trained monkey could have done this. (and prolly did) If anybody knows for a fact this is real then please let us know =).

From Vagabond: Coby, let me take this opportunity to both welcome you to our forums, and to inform you that name-calling is not tolerated. Your offending comments have been removed. I look forward to your cooperation in the future. Have a nice day.

What so the guy who "edited" this managed to take the head off this 2d picture rotate it and place it half way across the screen. Then he managed to fill in the spot where his head was to be pixel perfect and look exactly as it will in the actual game. Also the light saber has been thrown, the dark jedi would be somewhere off screen. If this was faked then the magasine would be sued or some of its staff would be fired.

I'd kill for a nobel peace prize...

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving isn't for you...
Coby is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 11:15 AM   #49
Jinn Tar-Nesh

Guys I know that most of you WANT to believe it's not a fake..but unfortunately it is.Life goes on IMHO the game will rock even without choping heads ...

JAR JAR FOR PRESIDENT!!
Jinn Tar-Nesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 11:25 AM   #50
Lorewin

Exactly coby. couldnt have said it better myself.

There loos like theres a dead reborn in the corner. damn this guy thought of everthing... or maybe ITS JUST REAL!! HAhaAHAH

Stupid stupid people. seems like a 50/50 stand off here.
Lorewin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 11:26 AM   #51
PraetorJudis

Look at how the lighting on the head doesn't match the scene, but would match the lighting of the body were it attached. Look at the poorly cut edge around Kyle's right foot. Look at the lack of a neck stump. Look at the sharp definition around Kyle, as opposed to the blurred definition around the stormtroopers. Look at Kyle's scale compared to the storm troopers.

I attend an art school and watch people cut and paste with Photoshop daily. You develop an eye for this sort of thing.

It's a fake.

*gniltrohc yawa srednaw*
PraetorJudis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 11:43 AM   #52
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

From my experience, that does not look like a faked screenshot to me... not that that means that you'll be seeing something like that happen in the final retail version of the game (especially in Germany).

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
ChangKhan[RAVEN] is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 11:45 AM   #53
ZeroXcape
Another Grim Jedi

LFN Staff Member 
My 2 cents: quite fake.

ZeroXcape

"Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!"
ZeroXcape is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 11:53 AM   #54
Fardreamer

We were hoping for a more definate response, Chang...
Fardreamer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 11:53 AM   #55
Scrobes

Like I said before, this apparently spinning reb saber has managed to decapitate him without so much as interfering with Kyle's readied bluesaber held in front of him? (And of course, Kyle would be just standing there doing nothing with his blue saber whilst there are stormtroopers and some supposedly dark jedi in the room with him.. ? )

And he doesn't have to get pixel perfect. You just cut out Kyle from another image as closely as possible, and by putting him into a new layer on Photoshop, he covers what was there originally. Thus the space where his head should have been didn't need any work anyway. And indeed, what looks like a nice clean cut at the base of the neck, is not reflected in the flying head.

Add in all the other points people have made about proportions, lighting, the disparity between Kyle and the background, etc, and there you go.
Scrobes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 12:29 PM   #56
TUS_Tomcat

how bout the saber was thrown from behind and is now returning to it's owner's hand?

Founder of the PWSL

Pro White Sabercore League

(non racist organisation!)
TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 12:35 PM   #57
Agen
The Spoon Guy

Well since i do ps myself, i can say this is iffy... the flying head is bad lighting but jsutm giht be the game, the stormtrooper floating is either very bad photoshop skills or it's a flaw in the engine or it's the old batasaber in use (he's getting redy ot fly)
i'm going to check hte screen with the probe flying thing to see it compared to the sparks on this, might be the same.
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 12:37 PM   #58
Roger

Me:
Quote:
I think this is an early build and we won't see this in the final game... Not in the US, not in Germany...
ChangKahn:
Quote:
From my experience, that does not look like a faked screenshot to me... not that that means that you'll be seeing something like that happen in the final retail version of the game (especially in Germany).
Now if you listen to ChangKahn, it looks like this screenshot was taken from an early build with all the GHOUL 2 stuff in place, before it was edited out (Star Wars Universe as no gore like this, read the interview with Chris Foster at the Mod Central).

So it could be an old but real screenshot... and we won't see this in the final game...
Roger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 02:10 PM   #59
7-7ighlander

First of all, I think one reason for the saber to be completely still might be that hes in a death animation, that tends to make other animations dissapear since death anims use the entire body.
Second, the thrown saber woudln´t have to fly through Kyles saber to decapitate our protagonist. Remember when vader throws his saber? Remember the thrown sabers in the preview movies? Yeah, thats right, they spin. It is entirely possible that the blade of the thrown lightsaber just missed the Kyles saber.
Oh, and the proportions? Ok, you have a point =)
However, how tall is a stormtrooper? Taller than Luke for sure but hey, hamill isnt that tall! Ehmm so if like hamill is 1.5 meters tall and an average joe stormtrooper is 1.80 and Kyle is 2.3 meters.. THE PICTURE MAKES SENSE!
Ok, jokes aside, the stormtrooper is a weirdo as it is with the floating thing and perhaps, ok ok farfetched farfetchec, he doesnt float at all but stands as normal only the model is compressed so that his head is where his head should be but his feet aren´t.
Yeah, thats right u clever ppl, I dont have a clue but I want to believe! Keep digging!
The truth is out there...
7-7ighlander is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 02:21 PM   #60
Obi

I'm a graphic designer, experienced in PhotoShop, PaintShop Pro, and FireWorks. If this screenshot was faked, it was done by a master. And to what avail? Why would anyone fake this screenshot? In TPM, you can jump into a fan and parts go everywhere. I am pretty sure Raven could get away with putting this in the actual game being as no red blood is shown. Even if it's not, it could be from an earlier build of Jedi Outcast. That scenario seems to be very possible. Just because there are stormtroopers around doesn't mean Kyle couldn't get killed by a lightsaber thrown from a reborn dark jedi. And we know that blocking is not perfect, especially if that lightsaber was thrown from behind. This screenshot doesn't look fake to me.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 02:33 PM   #61
JaG|Kaiser

!!!

I don't know if that is a photoshop, but whatever it is, it sure is funny! It'd be great if you could do that in the game!

#JaG
#nar

irc.enterthegame.com
JaG|Kaiser is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 02:33 PM   #62
wardz

If hes had his head cut off then he wont be swinging around will he? : )

anyway, If ChangKhan says its prolly not faked then there is a pretty good chance he is telling the truth.

(Its not like he made the game or anything is it?)

wardz

Welcome to JKII.Net.

Please keep sig size to a minimum : )
wardz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 03:07 PM   #63
SpliffCartel

This bickering is pintless... but strangely interesting! Still, I think we can be pretty sure that there will be no decapitations in the final game, and in all probability no chopping up at all! Still, we will know for sure soon...
SpliffCartel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 03:20 PM   #64
Raze

Well as I look at the pic in my copy of the PC Action (along with all the other neat screenshots which show VERY interesting scenes hehe), I think I can tell that it's not faked.. I think it's a death animation where the scene goes slomo, rotates about Kyle and during that it's lowering the camera position, that's why the camera is as far down as that....
Raze is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 03:24 PM   #65
Indy4

THatS CRAZY!!!!!!!
does anybody want that part of the game?

SEya
Indy4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 03:55 PM   #66
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Look, we know that dismemberment exists in the game, but to what extent, we don't know.

So what are the possibilities?

1- That German site posted the pic in good faith, but it was a hoax. And who could prove them wrong, since German players aren't getting "the uncensored version" anyway? Just a joke to make them jealous then?

2- That German site knowingly posted a fake/edited pic. Why? It isn't April 1st.. maybe to make players jealous and stir up support for anti-censorship. However, once it is found out that the pic is fake, they could just say they posted it in good faith. This would imply of course that the source is not trusthworthy.

3- The pic was posted in good faith by both the German site and the newspaper/magazine (Action Games) but was a hoax that was sent in and fooled them. Wouldn't be the first time this has ever happened. Good job to the hoaxer...

4- The pic is real, but is not what we think it is: ie, it was in an early version of the game before going gold and taken as a joke or leaked, but the final version of the game does not have this feature, it was done by the developers in 3ds Max or something as a joke, but was misunderstood to be a gameplay shot, or it's something that can only be done via a cheat code in single player, etc.

5- The pic is real, and it's in the game... perhaps it was leaked and the feature wasn't supposed to be known. The feature is locked out in the German version however.

Which it is, I don't know... the quality is too poor for me to tell if it was faked in Photoshop or whatever. We'll probably, as was said, need LEC/Raven confirmation to decide this once and for all.

And yes, as to this comment:

Quote:
Look, people, like the developers have said oh-so-many times, this is Star Wars. YOU. CAN'T. CHOP. HEADS. OFF. IN. STAR. WARS. Comprende?
In ESB, Luke chopped off Vader's head with a lightsaber in his "vision" on Dagobah. You saw sparks, and the head roll off, etc etc, you remember the movie. That's the only instance of us seeing a HUMAN HEAD cut off ONSCREEN.. but there are other examples of non-human creatures getting their heads severed (notably in Episode I). So it's not exactly "unstarwarsy." And without the blood and gore, and if it's somewhat rare, it would not necessarily break the "T" Rating (note the dismemberment in TPM game).
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 04:02 PM   #67
Kurgan
Headhunter

Perhaps somebody out there who has the actual magazine article, could do a much higher quality scan and post it up here?

Perhaps Mr. ChangKahn can't reveal that information at this time? Why get our hopes up if it's not in the final game...?
; )

These questions and more should be answered week of the 29th... (we hope)
Old 03-20-2002, 05:09 PM   #68
Scrobes

Very good points Kurgan. The voice of wisdom, quelling the masses.

Well .. a couple of things then I'll let it go. I'm not fussed, it's interesting speculating about this rather unique image. Firstly, agreed: having head chopped off would certainly stop you doing stuff, hence saber just pointing up. I can understand that, but I just thought that in the split second of the head flying off (and it hasn't had far to travel yet) you may have still seen his last action in effect. Perhaps he was standing still anyway. Lastly, I do feel that the spinning saber would have come from the front. If you chop into the tree from one side, which way will it fall eventually. Yeah?

Anyway, one thing's for certain; it's incredibly amusing.
Scrobes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 05:22 PM   #69
Valdarious

Well, for all we know this could have been done in q3a itself, its not hard for people to make 2 fake models and put them in the game, and q3a has head gibs. I know its stretching the point a bit, but when someone like Lorewin blindly calls by his count 50% of the people here stupid I have to bring something like this up. Calling people stupid only shows how ignorant some people can be. Leave some of us to our illusions "if" they are illusions or just argue in a way that makes sense. Calling someone stupid about a point like this is pointless.
Valdarious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 05:31 PM   #70
MercenaryI{aos

• I swear I saw the far stormtrooper in another pic. which makes me think "edited"
  • In a interview I swear they said only arms or at least limbs could be cut off which makes me think "edited"
  • They also said everyone version shares the same content except for some documentation which makes me think "edited"
  • I seen this done before for a joke which makes me think "edited"
  • The game is biult on an engine which head dismemberment whick makes me think "Early version"
All in all I would have to say that is NOT a final version of the game. I have taken the oppositions points into account but it just doesn't make sense.

I can see everyone but no one can see me.
I am a mercenary. I create chaos. I am Mercenary l{aos
MercenaryI{aos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 05:46 PM   #71
SaberPro
00 Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
Then what did Luke do to Vader/Himself in the cave on Dagobah? ^.^
I think on Dagobah Luke had a hallucination...

SaberPro
Alliance of the Jedi (AOJ)
ZoneFriend = AOJ_SaberPro

"The Force is with you young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!" - Darth Vader
SaberPro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 05:51 PM   #72
SaberPro
00 Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Dogg
YOU. CAN'T. CHOP. HEADS. OFF. IN. STAR. WARS. Comprende?
- In JKI you can chop off Stormtrooper's arm

- In A New Hope Obi Wan chopped off a poor creature's arm

- In The Empire Strikes Back not-a-Jedi-yet Luke got his hand sliced off

- In The Empire Strikes Back Han sliced open the poor creature to keep Luke warm (yuck!)

- In The Phantom Menace at-last-we'll-have-revenge-is-my-only-word Maul got SLICED from the waist

- In The Empires Strike Back Luke sliced "Darth Vader" aka Luke himself's head off

Quite a few chops and slices I say.

SaberPro
Alliance of the Jedi (AOJ)
ZoneFriend = AOJ_SaberPro

"The Force is with you young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!" - Darth Vader
SaberPro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 06:00 PM   #73
DarthDuke

Not that this means anything, but the dots near where his body is. The ones you all say is some kind of ambiance cutting the head off effect. Looks alot like the dots for mind trick.
DarthDuke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 06:47 PM   #74
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Cool Guy

Agreed - if I see Lorewin continue to call people names, he's going to eventually find himself banned. He's been thorougly warned, so his destiny is in his hands.

Back to the topic of this picture - the one thing that makes me questionn the authenticity of this picture is the angle that the head is severed - it's vertical, where I would expect the cut to be horizontal. If not for that, I'd have no hesitation believing the picture is genuine. It still may be real, but that one thing looks kind of weird to me, so I'm unsure.

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players...
Vagabond is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 06:51 PM   #75
Kurgan
Headhunter

Lightbulb

I have an idea.. maybe this IS in the game, but it's not we think...

Perhaps there is a cutscene or "test" or something, much like Luke's "test" in the cave on Dagobah...

Perhaps in Kyle's "dream/vision" he gets his head cut off by that lightsaber, and then he wakes up!

So perhaps it's not in the gameplay at all.. but part of an in-game cutscene!

Just a thought.. ; )
Old 03-20-2002, 06:56 PM   #76
Obi

I seem to think that they'd make it more cinematic than some thug just whipping his lightsaber at his neck. They'd almost certainly have the opponent who severes his head holding the blade for a little more of a dramatic effect. I doubt they'd have a bunch of troopers in his vision either.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 06:57 PM   #77
Sithcloak

I hope there is an option for turning off head removal because i can handle arms and even legs but i do not want to see heads flying every time i kill somone. At least not my head ...

Sithcloak

"It is obvious we can not settle this contest by our knowledge of the force, but by our skills with a lightsaber."
Sithcloak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 07:01 PM   #78
Kurgan
Headhunter

Thumbs up

Another reason I'd like to see a better quality scan of that pic is because I'd like to make it my desktop wallpaper. ; )

That reminds me of a great desktop image the Obi-Wan team guys had at the E3 I visited... it showed Qui Gon with his back turned standing there, and ObiWan about to crack him over the head with his saber at close range... hehe
Old 03-20-2002, 07:49 PM   #79
indianajones9

Chang's response was interesting. He did not deny that decapitations are possible. He said the pic didn't look fake, but he's not saying that we'll definitly see this in the final build ***THEN*** he says especially in germany! Sure, maybe this means nothing, but maybe you can decap.
indianajones9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 07:57 PM   #80
jedi650

Not to be a pain, but why don't we just wait and see if this can really be done (decapitation)? It'll add some excitement when you find your head still attached or rolling around on the floor. hehe

-Jedi650
jedi650 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > OMG! Check it out!