lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: who thinks this game is gonna suck?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-19-2002, 11:19 PM   #1
Angrysquirrel

Exclamation who thinks this game is gonna suck?

I dunno. I'm looking at the screen shots again and it looks like quake. There doesn't seem to be anything you can interact with (except maybe a few buttons). Can you break glass in this thing?

Also, the laser shots aren't coming out of the weapons. They seem to be a bit off. And there's alot of clipping going on. I see dead storm troopers that have fallen half way through walls. Now that's not right.

I guess I've been spoiled with games like Deus Ex. Hopefully I'm wrong and the game will be immersive. How long was this game in development for? Two years?

A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my suede jacket. "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" she sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone, "I didn't know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you too."
-Jake Johanson
Angrysquirrel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:24 PM   #2
Darth Ergotht

This game is ganna rock. It will be the best game on the market

"When we will see each other on the battlefield I won't be so easy on you like I am now"
Darth Ergotht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:37 PM   #3
Desslock

Quote:
who thinks this game is gonna suck?
You and.. oh wait, just you.
Desslock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:44 PM   #4
acgreen

w

WTF is the matter with you. If you don't get this game, you will be considered gay...
acgreen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:46 PM   #5
Sounds Risky
No sir, that's paper

Re: w

Quote:
Originally posted by acgreen
WTF is the matter with you. If you don't get this game, you will be considered gay...
I remember when I was 14 and called everything I didn't agree with gay.
Sounds Risky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
Nickeleye

Sometimes I think peoples' expectation have risen too high. I think people who are most excited about this game are those who played the original Jedi Knight. Too say, "it looks like quake", as far as I'm concerned means nothing. Ok, they ended up using approximately 10% of the code from Quake III: Arena, but besides that I see a bad-ass brand new sequel to a classic predecessor. To say there seems to be hardly anything to interact with is a statement that comes from no gameplay and only a small amount of video footage. Don't judge about something you know little about. You mention how lasers don't seem to come from where they should, storm troopers that have fallen into walls, and a lot of clipping. I just watched each trailer and went frame by frame. Throughout this I noticed none of the thing of which you speak. The only thing that I notice perfrom any clipping was the lightsaber. However, thanks to Raven, they have come up with the scoring of the walls because of the lightsaber. It seems to me that maybe you are speaking of things that you have not paid as much attention to as you have thought.
Nickeleye is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:54 PM   #7
Roger

Hear hear, nickeleye!
Roger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 12:14 AM   #8
SaberPro
00 Agent

Re: who thinks this game is gonna suck?

Quote:
Originally posted by Angrysquirrel
I dunno. I'm looking at the screen shots again and it looks like quake. There doesn't seem to be anything you can interact with (except maybe a few buttons). Can you break glass in this thing?

Also, the laser shots aren't coming out of the weapons. They seem to be a bit off. And there's alot of clipping going on. I see dead storm troopers that have fallen half way through walls. Now that's not right.

I guess I've been spoiled with games like Deus Ex. Hopefully I'm wrong and the game will be immersive. How long was this game in development for? Two years?
Ran out of stuff to discuss? Screenshot isn't everything! Try the game, THEN decide if it's a horrible game OR it's a nice game

Heh Deus Ex....

SaberPro
Alliance of the Jedi (AOJ)
ZoneFriend = AOJ_SaberPro

"The Force is with you young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!" - Darth Vader
SaberPro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 01:23 AM   #9
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
i think i might have to kill.... erm, maybe just maim you

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 02:13 AM   #10
rolsen

I shall smite you with one mighty blow!

Rolsen
rolsen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 02:23 AM   #11
buzzfunk666

I got one word for this:

Trolling

Sascha "Buzzfunk" Dikiciyan
www.sonicmayhem.com
www.noizeloops.com
buzzfunk666 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 02:30 AM   #12
Bowen

Thumbs up Judging By the Facts...

To be honest no one can say whether this game is going to be a success or a failure but what we can do is look at the facts that we have right now. Who's developing the game? Raven, Do they have experience doing this sort of thing? YES, How long have they been doing this for? The first game that comes to my mind is Hexen. Also Lucasarts is behind all this too and I don't think that they are going to hand a game over to a developer who is not up to the task! Taking all these things into account not to mention seeing the trailers and hearing from those who have seen the beta versions of the game and I think the worst possible rating of this game is good. We can all judge in a little over a week now

B O W E N
Bowen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 02:45 AM   #13
SaberPro
00 Agent

Re: Judging By the Facts...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bowen
To be honest no one can say whether this game is going to be a success or a failure but what we can do is look at the facts that we have right now. Who's developing the game? Raven, Do they have experience doing this sort of thing? YES, How long have they been doing this for? The first game that comes to my mind is Hexen. Also Lucasarts is behind all this too and I don't think that they are going to hand a game over to a developer who is not up to the task! Taking all these things into account not to mention seeing the trailers and hearing from those who have seen the beta versions of the game and I think the worst possible rating of this game is good. We can all judge in a little over a week now
A very logical statement/argument

SaberPro
Alliance of the Jedi (AOJ)
ZoneFriend = AOJ_SaberPro

"The Force is with you young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!" - Darth Vader
SaberPro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 04:05 AM   #14
Darth Lunatic

I swear this ALWAYS happens near the release of a game, and a little while after the release.

People come on fan message boards and rip games apart like there is no tomorrow. I've seen it many times before and it is no different for this game. There will be an influx of idiots, morons and degenerates coming to give crap to the game when it is released. I pray the Moderators. (gonk, digl, stormhammer and wilhuf) will just ban them straight away, or delete the posts. I don't believe in censcoring information, but when so many people start up new threads with negligible complaints (like those of angrysquirrel) they should be deleted.

----Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed----
Darth Lunatic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 05:21 AM   #15
milestone

Actually I think it's best to start playing a game (or watching a movie for that matter) with low expectations. I don't think any game has truly completely lived up to the hype, so if you do end up getting swallowed by the hype you'll most likely be disappointed. However, if you don't go into a game expecting too much, most of the time you'll be pleasantly be surprised, even to the point of enjoying games that get slammed by reviewers sometimes.
I remember the game "Sin" a long time ago, which was swallowed alive by the media. I borrowed it off a friend just for the sake of it, and actually enjoyed it quite a lot. Had a lot of innovations in that game such as locational damage and animations, pretty good scripting (though surpassed by HL), and some cool levels such as one of the first stealth levels in an action FPS and manning a MG on a heli right at the start.

Last edited by milestone; 03-20-2002 at 06:20 AM.
milestone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 05:38 AM   #16
Alfyboy

I agree with milestone. I didn't get sucked into the hype surrounding Deus Ex or Max Payne. When I got those I was blown away... well, with Deus anyway. I'm trying desperately not to get sucked into the hype surrounding JO too... it ain't working.

I don't think by any means this game will 'suck'. It may not live up to expectations but it won't suck. Hell, i'm just happy that I get to play with a lightsaber... and online too... greeeeatttt!
Alfyboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 06:34 AM   #17
jedialphaknight
Banned

yeah basically its just ignorance, your judging a game by 1:30 to 2:00 minute trailers? and a couple screenshots? the reviews are high I dunno wut your really talking about, if your plan is so scorn the game then leave, developers cannot make games perfect, they really cannot, there will always be some dumb glitch some idiot will notice and say the game sucks about it, I always look at the positive aspects of the game, like wut is good about it, not wut is bad if you look at what is bad then you get the notion the game sucks. which is wut your doing.
jedialphaknight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 06:45 AM   #18
Belgirion

Quote:
Eye candy comes second to gameplay
Belgirion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 09:16 AM   #19
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Tell that to all mainstream people who get the console with the prettiest graphics ^.^ lots of people seem to care more for pretty graphics than for good gameplay... sadly enough. *sigh*
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 09:35 AM   #20
Locke101

thats so true. I have many friends who think that graphics are what make a game. I say no, if the game has awesome graphics but bad play control, and bad story line. I WON'T PLAY IT. I mean, Red Alert 2, it uses an older game engine with not the greatest graphics but ITS FUN! the story line for it is pretty good, and TANYA is HOT! (Which is a plus ) All my friends make fun of me for playing the game. I say screw you, if all you think about is the graphics then your missing out on a lot of games!
Locke101 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 09:39 AM   #21
ps2maddenman

I love it when people post a topic like this and never come back to the thread............................................ ..................................

www.ign.com

Last edited by ps2maddenman; 03-20-2002 at 10:56 AM.
ps2maddenman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 09:48 AM   #22
Scrobes

And ps2maddenman hits the nail on the head.

Scrobes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:13 AM   #23
ryudom

there is no possible way this game will suck, imo. i mean this IS jedi knight II. and its gotten good reviews. even if it was the old jediknight with better graphics and slightly differant levels it would be amazing. if the boses are good (and surprising) i think that points to a good plot. oh my, there is no way that this game could suck- NO WAY at all.

maybe it won't live up to the hype (i think it will) but it will still be amazing
ryudom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:18 AM   #24
thrEEpaGe

regardless of how ignorant anyone posting on this topic is, i feel that i might like to respond =)

first of all, on the quakiness of it (heh thats a fun word), well, what do you expect??? Obviously the way that the engine renders the textures and such is quake3, but the gameplay is the determining factor in games such as these (unless of course it is based on a new engine, and then all bets are off)...from what ive heard about the sabering and force powers, the sabers at least are completely independent from anything you people have seen in a first person shooter or melee combat game...and that combined with average graphics (who is kidding who here; q3 is old) will give it a great following, and i will definitely play it religiously as i did jk...

however, other games will quickly take it over in terms of graphics and gameplay...im not going to mention any, but if i were to mention any, i MIGHT say that ut2 or u2 will kick its arse...hehe...

regardless of all that, this game will be fun, more than just q3 with gaybers and force powers

thats my input....

What does Bob Dole think? Bob Dole thinks he's a doofus!

Later Losers!
OUT!
thrEEpaGe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:20 AM   #25
ryudom

gaybers? are you implying sabers are gay??

I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE.
ryudom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:30 AM   #26
thrEEpaGe

unless you are joking, and i would have to doubt that considering the context of the comment (in this forum), i will laugh at you

hahahaha

everyone calls it gaybers

What does Bob Dole think? Bob Dole thinks he's a doofus!

Later Losers!
OUT!
thrEEpaGe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:45 AM   #27
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Last night I saw this thread and went to it, I wrote a whole paragraph on me being a squirrel hater and taking a bat to the angry squirrels head and BAM!!!! Squirrel guts every were.

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 10:51 AM   #28
TUS_Tomcat

I'll just say what Padme said:

"you're a funny little guy..."

also:

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger
Hear hear, nickeleye!

Remember boys and girls, he played it

Founder of the PWSL

Pro White Sabercore League

(non racist organisation!)
TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 01:57 PM   #29
Nickeleye

Who played what? I didn't mean to imply I've actually played JO if that's what you mean. I have, however, played JK and MotS a few times.
Nickeleye is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 02:50 PM   #30
Angrysquirrel

I'm glad to see there is a diversity of opinion here

We are all going on what we see for screenshots and trailers. Based upon what I've seen, there are some graphical problems with the game (clipping and blaster shot problems). You can see the blaster problems in a few of the screenshots on lucas art's site. I also noticed a picture where an alien is holding a weapon and the end of the weapon is clipping through it's arm. As for the clipping of the stormtrooper stuck in a wall, it's not on the lucas art site but it was on a site that was mentiond on this website (in refernece to an article with screenshots).

And it also looks like there will not be much interactivity with the environment, based on what Lucasarts has released to the public. I didn't see any exploding computer consoles, holes in doors, any kind of breakable objects. Just elevators and switches (as is typical with the quake engine). Only time will tell if my suspicions are correct about the game a bit buggy and non-interactive.

For those of you who don't like me because I don't agree with you, get used to it. You will find many people who will agree and disagree with you, even on this fan site. And if you can't deal with it, then I will have to feed you to these little guys

Have a nice day!

A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my suede jacket. "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" she sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone, "I didn't know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you too."
-Jake Johanson
Angrysquirrel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 03:09 PM   #31
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I don't think it will SUCK per se...

I think chances are good that this will be (at worst) an average game, that you can pick up and play, have fun with, then put on the shelf (which was.. no offense, what I thought of Elite Force).

This is not a bad thing, no not at all. A game like that is a success. It's a game I'd buy, play, and enjoy.

But what I'm wondering is if this will be the type of game, the type of rare game that only comes around every so often, the kind that a person plays for years and years.. a Half Life or a Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.

If that is such a game.. then it will be a very good game indeed, a candidate for GOTY for certain. But it doesn't have to be GOTY material to be GOOD.

I have no illusions that this game may not live up to my super high expectations of a JK sequel. Already I know of a few changes that I'm not so happy about, but it remains to be seen if the strengths of this game will outweigh those disapointments.

So I can't say if it will suck or not, but I think for now, it looks like it will at least be a good game, but a great one? Only time will tell....
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 03:13 PM   #32
TUS_Tomcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Nickeleye
Who played what? I didn't mean to imply I've actually played JO if that's what you mean. I have, however, played JK and MotS a few times.

I quoted Roger, he played it

Founder of the PWSL

Old 03-20-2002, 03:14 PM   #33
lonepadawan

GRRRRRRRRRRR. One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! One week! One week! One week One week! *men in white coats arrive* Nonononon I need JKII Noooooo Arrrrrrhhggggggg!!!!!!!!!!

"Your life does flash before your eyes before you die..... the process is called LIVING"
lonepadawan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 03:20 PM   #34
TUS_Tomcat

Re: who thinks this game is gonna suck?

Quote:
Originally posted by Angrysquirrel
Can you break glass in this thing?

It seems that you can:

If my eyes arent deceiving me (and they can, remember that), a stormie is being force pushed through glass here

(note that this is a very VERY old screen, before you begin to bash it )

Founder of the PWSL

Old 03-20-2002, 03:28 PM   #35
JaG|Kaiser

I've been spoiled by Tribes. If I do not find this game as fun as Tribes, I'll be going back to it until Legends comes out. Realm Wars looks good, too.

#JaG
#nar

irc.enterthegame.com
JaG|Kaiser is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 04:00 PM   #36
Agen
The Spoon Guy

I hope you know you're talknig about the earliest build available for the game Also, the spoon decides if this game is good- the answer is form the almighty spoon of Linycon- It kix yo ass Biatch! Kapeesh?
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 04:02 PM   #37
CaptainPOE

Well of course it looks like Quake. JO is based off of the Quake III engine You said that the laser shots didn't come out of the weapons and they seemed a bit off. My probelm with this statement is that your basing it off of a few screenshots and a small trailer. Which definitely doesn't do this game justice, nor does it really ever do anything justice. The part about a dead storm trooper being halfway through a wall is really a moot point. This is a common widespread problem in most if not all first person shooters, and if my memory serves me correct Deus Ex had the same problem. The part about it not being interactive enough, same thing your basing it on a few screenshots and a few trailers. Those are usually of when there is action on screen, not when your talking to some one, showing it in a trailer could possibly give some of the story away prematurely. I just think that your asking for way too much and then basing the short comings off of a very select few peices of the whole. It's basically like a peice of superficial circumstancial evidence, it has no REAL bearing. This isn't a flame or anything like that, but I'm just trying to show you that your jumping to conclusions here

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...not sreaming and yelling like those in his car
CaptainPOE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 04:02 PM   #38
TUS_Tomcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
I hope you know you're talknig about the earliest build available for the game
You takkin to me biatch?

Founder of the PWSL

Old 03-20-2002, 04:03 PM   #39
grumpycrab

It will be great, but one thing we cannot predict is how long the single player game will be. The question is, if the length of the game is, say, half the length of JKI, how does this affect its "greatness".
--
Grumps
grumpycrab is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2002, 04:06 PM   #40
TUS_Tomcat

Well, just dont play it on easy difficulty, or itll be over too soon... I'll play it on hard or something, i wont go for the hardest, but one above normal...

Lets see if i can do that

Founder of the PWSL

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > who thinks this game is gonna suck?