lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kyle Katarn: Jedi Disappointment
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-13-2002, 12:00 AM   #41
Wes Janson SMR

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi_Overlord
Maybe luke busted Kyle's real saber, and had to build the other one.
Jesus, no!!!

S.M.R. Technological Industries.

Improving your gaming experience.
Wes Janson SMR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2002, 04:37 AM   #42
LedBullet

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue74

And you are here because.....?
hey, id ont take it to an unhealthy like some of u people.
LedBullet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2002, 07:02 AM   #43
x x x

haha, it aint even real, why debate over it. You guys must be bored, but think about the light saber "handel" guys. Thats all electronic and would bust, i remeber reading in Star Wars Episode 1 take outs that Obi-wan kept his saber thingy on and it got busted etc
x x x is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2002, 07:11 AM   #44
power_ed

Re: Kyle Katarn: Jedi Retard

Quote:
Originally posted by cj7816
Man, some the stuff in SP is so retarted. Like the fact that Kyle can't use force powers (specifically push and pull) under water or through breakaway grates!
And what's with Kyle not being able to use his lightsabre under water?! Hmmm... let's see... It can cut through just about anything, dismember an enemy in one slice, it's the most "eligant" weapon in the galaxy... but sorry, it won't work in water. Your "clumbsy and random" blasters will operate just fine in water but the lightsabre? ... sorry boys.

Maybe I'm being over-critical of Raven's efforts to balance gameplay. I'm just totally in love with the lightsabre and that's the only weapon that I ever want to use. Needless to say, Yavin Swamp is starting to tick me off.

======================

HEY, YOU THERE!
power_ed is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2002, 07:43 AM   #45
Digital_Ronin

By endless_deliriu :
Quote:
1) light refracts and bends light. As a lightsaber is basically a laser (focused light) focused even more through a crystal so that it makes an energy loop, putting a saber into light could further bend and bounce the light,
*thinks hard wether or not he should revive the discussion*

*sigh* - ok, I just can't help it.

The only spot where lightsabers are actually described as 'lasers' and 'having an optical origin', using 'crystals to focus the lightbeam' and so on was in the lightsaber section of the StarWars ROLE PLAYING GAME. Created and thought up much later than the movies, taking some passages from them and clearly MISINTERPRETING some of them.

It was not until that lousy DM manual that lightsabers needed crystals to FOCUS a BEAM or something like that, they _did_ have crystals before, but they were only used as means of superconductors and it was nowhere said that the blades were laser-like. Actually there is a fair share of evidence that they aren't. (shall I elaborate that?)

Now, the problem is that this RPG manual entry was used by most later sources as a 'blueprint' when they described lightsaber technology, thus furthering those highly controversal theories. Especially the idea of the beam color depending on the color of some 'crystals' in the hilt is totally unfounded. The 'light bending idea' with the blade being something like a 'standing wave' also came from there. That passage was created and written for a paper-and-pen game and was a try to explain the technology, but it's far from being flawless or even canonical.

Digital_Ronin
Digital_Ronin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 03:59 PM   #46
cj7816

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes Janson SMR
Not only that, but Lightsaber also have the facinating property of not giving off ambient light, and the blade has its own shadow.... In the movies.
Tech Guy: "Mr. Lucas, we have no way of getting rid of the shadow of the lightsabre standin. Also, since we add the glowing effect later, it's impossible for us to make it project light."

George: "Hmmm.... oh well, let's just pretend that lightsabres have shadows and don't project light."

Last edited by cj7816; 04-14-2002 at 04:13 PM.
cj7816 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 04:21 PM   #47
cj7816

I understand the whole deal about lightsabers not working underwater in the SW universe - it's more of a gameplay issue to me than one of SW correctness. I wanted to use it all the time but Yavin Swamp forced me to use a couple guns. Oh well.

I -am- still curious about not being able to use force powers like push and pull under water. Maybe the water caused too much friction to pull items through. Raven could have at least made items move -slower- when pushed or pulled underwater. I also still don't see why metal grates and glass block force powers.
cj7816 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 05:49 PM   #48
sunsetrider

Maybe the effects department could add almost anything to the properties of the lightsaber, but I guess Lucas was just keeping them consistent with how they were portrayed in the earlier series of SW. Plus, Yoda could pull that X-Wing from the swamps, but I guess Kyle's Force is not just strong enough to be of any practical use. And basically water level is rather short, so I guess that Raven just cut it off rather than giving additional properties to the objects in the water that could be affected by Force, how they were not really concerned with the underwater aspect of the game can be shown by the subpar rendering of Kyle's swim animation.
sunsetrider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 07:34 PM   #49
enDless_Deliriu

Quote:
Originally posted by Digital_Ronin
By endless_deliriu :

*thinks hard wether or not he should revive the discussion*

*sigh* - ok, I just can't help it.

The only spot where lightsabers are actually described as 'lasers' and 'having an optical origin', using 'crystals to focus the lightbeam' and so on was in the lightsaber section of the StarWars ROLE PLAYING GAME. Created and thought up much later than the movies, taking some passages from them and clearly MISINTERPRETING some of them.

It was not until that lousy DM manual that lightsabers needed crystals to FOCUS a BEAM or something like that, they _did_ have crystals before, but they were only used as means of superconductors and it was nowhere said that the blades were laser-like. Actually there is a fair share of evidence that they aren't. (shall I elaborate that?)

Now, the problem is that this RPG manual entry was used by most later sources as a 'blueprint' when they described lightsaber technology, thus furthering those highly controversal theories. Especially the idea of the beam color depending on the color of some 'crystals' in the hilt is totally unfounded. The 'light bending idea' with the blade being something like a 'standing wave' also came from there. That passage was created and written for a paper-and-pen game and was a try to explain the technology, but it's far from being flawless or even canonical.

Digital_Ronin
I got the idea of light from the name. and I agree. I wasn't sure about the origins of the crystal, but in the books I've read where people have built one (possibly after the RPG came out) they've all had to use crystals. Before that, I don't think it was ever actually mentioned how a lightsaber truly worked.

The water idea was actually me being tired and grasping at straws, I was actually going to edit it out if I could've found the post that it was in, but you beat me to humiliation

-----------------------------------------------

One of your resident Star Wars Geeks

The Way We See It
enDless_Deliriu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:55 AM   #50
Darwin11

The crystal probably is used for the same reason crystals are used in modern electronics. frequency modulation.

Take a look here for some really good ideas.

http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres.htm
Darwin11 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 04:08 AM   #51
SPY_jmr1
The Quiet, but Deadly One

warning to all who click that link: kiss 4-5 hours of your life goodbye you are never gonna see em again...

"kids, this is what happens when you have WAYYYYYYYYY to much free time......"

Spy
SPY_jmr1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 05:26 AM   #52
Frizbee

Quote:
Originally posted by Digital_Ronin
[B]Not quite. I pretty much dug into this lightsaber thing and it is nowhere stated anywhere in the SW canon that water would put out a lightsaber.
Okay.. Episode One.

Obi-one is running away from those droids on the hover vehicles, light-saber in hand, but it is out. He mentions that his light saber got WET... hence the reason it is OUT.

that is why your lightsaber won't work in Jedi Knight when you go under. Just be thankful it doesn't stay 100% true to the movies in that respect and have it stay out for a few minutes afterwards.

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
Frizbee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 10:36 AM   #53
Digital_Ronin

A true lucasian workaround

He means that the electronics got wet and short-circuited, although that doesn't say anything particular about the behaviour of a saber blade underwater.

But I agree, this is a valid point.

(Still I have some problems seeing "Episode1" as canonical. It is, of course, but it just *hurts* to hear that the force is based on microscale biologic symbionts instead of being a mystical force. Bad pick, lucas... )

Oh, and about that website - amazing. Never saw such a thorough analysis. Even worse than what I did back then. I especially like his almost-physic theories.

Digital_Ronin
Digital_Ronin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Kyle Katarn: Jedi Disappointment