lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: What race do u think can't be Jedi?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-21-2001, 01:09 PM   #1
antilles

Post What race do u think can't be Jedi?

So what do u think? How about a Noghri Jedi?

I am F-3PO human cyborg relation and I have been fluint in only two form of language.
antilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2001, 01:48 PM   #2
MadPoster

I think NASCAR can't be jedi...

Needing a new sig idea to get rid of:
MadPoster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2001, 01:58 PM   #3
Garindan

vornskr can't be jedi since they HATE jedi.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2001, 02:08 PM   #4
Tie Guy

They don't HATE jedi, they just try to eat them because they use the force to hunt.

So, they kinda are like untrained jedi.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:59 PM   #5
Garindan

in mots manual it says 'unnatural hatred of jedi' so, they can be sith i guess.
Old 07-21-2001, 05:00 PM   #6
Boba Rhett

It's pretty hard for Hutts to become jedi.
Old 07-21-2001, 06:31 PM   #7
Garindan

Yuzzum Vong cannot become jedi or sith.
Old 07-22-2001, 02:00 AM   #8
Tie Guy

Hutts can be jedi! Haven't we already covered this?
Old 07-22-2001, 07:17 AM   #9
JediMasterHorn

Hutts are supposed to be Force Blind. Obviously, Barbara Hambley didn't notice that when she made a Hutt a "Jedi". But that book was crap anyway....
JediMasterHorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2001, 11:58 PM   #10
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

The point was made in the book (by Leia herself, IIRC) that Beldorion was an exception; a mutant.

It makes sense to think that, even among a Force-blind species, there would be maybe one out of 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 individuals might have a random mutation. Especially if they happened to be living on that particular planet; the whole place was like a Force-capacitor.

"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
BeastMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2001, 02:59 AM   #11
ESE_Sithlord

A Full Droid cant be a Jedi or a Sith

"I am the most powerful Sith and I will destroy you!"
ESE_Sithlord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2001, 03:32 AM   #12
Garindan

Falleen can't become Jedi.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:38 AM   #13
ESE_Sithlord

yup

"I am the most powerful Sith and I will destroy you!"
ESE_Sithlord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2001, 06:49 AM   #14
JediMasterHorn

Beast, thanx, I had forgotten about that. It has been years since I read that book, and i hated it so much I haven't bothered to buy it. (One of the very few I haven't read more than once and don't own.)

And the book is still crap.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:26 AM   #15
antilles

Well...a droid once become a Jedi(R5-D5, Spikky the Jedi Droid) and why can't fallean be a Jedi?

I am F-3PO human cyborg relation and I have been fluint in only two form of language.
antilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2001, 12:33 PM   #16
Garindan

falleen can't understand the force, it's too hard for them. the info is probably invalid since it came from swcombine.
Old 07-25-2001, 04:40 PM   #17
obrian93

I'm not sure but I think Irish people are Force-blind. Darnit, Irish people!
Old 07-26-2001, 11:23 PM   #18
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Nuh-nuh-nuh.

Us Eireanach actually have a very high rate of Force-sensitivity. It comes from most of us having diluted Sidhe blood.

Old 07-29-2001, 01:27 AM   #19
Boba Fat

Lightbulb

Wookies and Tusken Raiders can't because they are too angry and rely too much on physical strength to be one with the force and gungans probably cant either. Oh and Ewoks too they so dumb they dont uderstand the use of a hat! see ROTJ

Old 07-29-2001, 04:52 PM   #20
MadPoster

Lightbulb

I have Klingons and Terrans can't be Jedi, but excel at being Sith.

Old 07-29-2001, 08:19 PM   #21
JediMasterHorn

Wookies can be Jedi...
Old 07-30-2001, 03:52 AM   #22
Redwing

Quote:
Originally posted by Boba Fat:
Wookies and Tusken Raiders can't because they are too angry and rely too much on physical strength to be one with the force and gungans probably cant either. Oh and Ewoks too they so dumb they dont uderstand the use of a hat! see ROTJ

Yes, they COULD be Jedi unless stated otherwise officially. Never make assumptions. And Terrans and Kilingons don't exist in the SW universe, so we don't know.

Droids cannot be Jedi, as they are not living things. Midichlorians, remember? I have no idea where R5-D5 or Spikky came from, but they're NOT canon, and they could not have been Jedi unless they were made of organic material.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:32 AM   #23
Boba Fat

Angry

Never make assumptions and you will never find out for you must philosiphise otherwise you will use your brain and not your spirit for the jedi relies on many things body, mind, soul, spirit, truth and the guidance and help of the force. I am very intelligant but too much thinking and you will not act on impulse. You need impulse sometimes (see Mara Jade in Dark Force Rising) (book)
Old 07-30-2001, 06:37 AM   #24
Boba Fat

Question

Maybe droids can be Jedi.

And I quote:
Quote:
He's more machine now than man.
Obi Wan Kenobi speaking about Darth Vader after all almost anything is possible in Star Wars. I know Darth was part human but maybe some droids were too.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:41 AM   #25
darth terrat

Wink

yah give them human parts !
Old 07-30-2001, 02:14 PM   #26
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

The droid thing is a subject of ongoing debate. It comes down to whether or not you believe in the Jedi's interpretation of the midichlorians. I don't; I think the Jedi are using questionable logic in making the midichlorian-Force connection (but then, I'm not Lucas).

Something you should know:

Every species has a Force-sensitivity ratio. Among humans, that ratio is around 1/100 --for every hundred humans, one will be Force-sensitive.

For some species (hutts, ssi-ruuvi, etc), the ratio is so low that it's not worth mentioning (say, 1/(1 X 10100 000), but in others it's very high (1/10).

What seems to make the difference is habitat. Humans tend to live in only moderately healthy environments (cities, space stations, towns). What life is around them is stunted and weakened.

Wookiees, ewoks, and even gungans live (mostly) in thriving environments; lush forests, swamps, and living seas. They're surrounded virtually since birth not just with life, but with healthy life. Because of this, they tend to have very high Force-sensitivity ratios.

Other species with high sensitivity ratios would be mon cals and quarrens (the seas on Mon Calamari are overflowing with living things), ithorians (Ithor was the very definition of "jungle paradise"), and perhaps humans on Alderaan (the place was a verdant nature preserve).

The difference is in how many of these Force-sensitives actually train as Jedi. A fair number of wookiees, but almost no gungans, and definitely no ewoks (they weren't even discovered until shortly before RotJ).

Each of these races has a Jedi-equivalent, though. The Wookiees have priests and sages, while the gungans and ewoks have shamans and sorcerors. That's where their Force-talent ends up concentrated.

(Again, this says interesting things about the yuuzhan vong, but that's another discussion.)

Old 07-31-2001, 12:30 PM   #27
darth terrat

so add medichlorians to bots
Old 08-01-2001, 04:58 PM   #28
MadPoster

Lets not, and pretend we never heard of them.

Old 08-01-2001, 10:38 PM   #29
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by Me:
It comes down to whether or not you believe in the Jedi's interpretation of the midichlorians. I don't; I think the Jedi are using questionable logic in making the midichlorian-Force connection (but then, I'm not Lucas).
In case anyone was wondering what I meant, the Jedi have a certain instance of evidence:

Midichlorians are present in the blood of Force-sensitives.

The Jedi interpret that to mean that the midichlorians are one end of a causal chain with Force-sensitivity on the other. This would only be true if:

Every instance of midichlorians is an instance of Force-sensitivity.

The Jedi do not seem to consider the possibility that:

Every instance of Force-sensitivity is NOT an instance of midichlorians.

I see no way the Jedi could have actually tested that point. If they look at Jedi, of course they'll find that every Jedi has midichlorians, because that's the criteria for being identified and trained.

I believe it fully likely that there are "non-midichlorianated" Force-sensitives somewhere in the galaxy. Of course, the Jedi could never find these Force-users because they only test for midichlorians, and anyone without Jedi training would almost have to be too weak to notice (any Force skills they have would be atrophied to the point of charlatanism).

Unless another school existed and was seeking out those who don't show up on midichlorian tests.

Midis are blood-based, and (I presume) turn up easily in routine bloodwork. Therefor, almost anyone with a medical record in "civilized" space could be identified. Say, for instance, a prominent politician.

I can't help but think that if, say, a prominent senator was found to have midichlorians, he or she would be removed from office for fear of that senator using the Force to "cheat."

Of course, we know there can't possibly be Force-sensitives in the Senate, or their midichlorian counts would betray them. Isn't that right, Chancellor Palpatine?

*cold smile*

Old 08-01-2001, 11:07 PM   #30
Hannibal

Ok, you keep saying blood based. No where in the movie or novelization does it say midiclorians are blood based. Qui-Gon takes Ani's blood to test him but if you remember he tells Anikan on Coruscant that Midiclorians are in located in cells. Which means basically the whole body. Cells make up the whole body not just the blood. Look at it again he never said blood cells.

Think of it this way most tests done by real doctors are done through blood. Even non-blood diseases can be tested through the blood cause it's easy.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:52 AM   #31
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Thumbs up

Nicely put Hannibal.
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2001, 11:24 AM   #32
darth terrat

Old 08-03-2001, 06:33 PM   #33
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Which doesn't really have anything to do with my argument. Like you said, blood is the easiest tissue to sample.

My points about midichlorians and Force-sensitivity still stand.

Quote:
You don't get it. It's always about blood! Blood is life; it's what keeps us going! It's why we feed.
--Spike (BtVS)

Old 08-05-2001, 11:19 AM   #34
Redwing

Not the Palpatine argument again---

What makes you think that everyone is forced to donate their blood to wherever in the SW universe? What do we know about medical records in Star Wars? And who's to say Jedi don't use the Force to find little Force-sensitive kids?

Oh, and BeastMaster, (in fact everyone) I greatly encourage you to read this excellent article from theforce.net studying midichlorians: http://www.theforce.net/midichlorians/

By that theory everything fits together very nicely.
Old 08-05-2001, 05:27 PM   #35
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Thank you Redwing, that's exactly what I needed.

That page says it better than I could.

Quote:
What if, instead of midi-chlorians create sensitivity to the Force, the Force creates midi-chlorians?
Y'see, what everyone seems to think is that the midichlorians are one end of the chain. I'm just suggesting (as is the article) that they're actually the other end of the chain.

They're not the cause of Force-sensitivity, they're a symptom of Force-sensitivity.

Therefor, it would seem to follow that it could at least be possible to be sensitive to the Force without (initially) a high midichlorian count.

As for the Palpatine argument:

If the Jedi are so worried about the Sith, why don't they round up a list of suspects (IIRC, Yoda or Mace commented that they suspected the Sith was someone "near them"), then test them.

Frankly, what you can't argue with is that we just don't know what Palpy's midi-count is. If it's revealed in ep. III that he has a higher count than Yoda, then I'll retract my argument.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like Jedi having all this technology/science to call upon. I'd rather see them testing for Force-sensitivity by telepathy rather than doing blood samples (which they somehow manage to teleport over comlink signals ).

Old 08-07-2001, 08:15 AM   #36
Redwing

Cool, Beastie, I thought (hoped ) you'd like that. It makes pretty much total sense (except for some EU stuff...but that's not that significant ) and doesn't detract from the "mystic" quality of the Force itself.

As for the Palpatine argument, it's likely IMHO that alot of people in power just wouldn't want the Jedi nosing into their business. (Can I have a sample of your kid's blood, please? Why? Oh, he might be a being superior to you, and we'd just like to borrow him for the rest of his life if he is. Thanks) A lot of non-Force sensitive people might have Jar Jar or Han Solo attitudes towards the Force ("maxie big, da Force" and "hokey religion" ) and wouldn't want the Jedi nosing in their affairs. Look at the US today. People going mad about supposed government conspiracies....

Plus, as an influential politician, Palpy could've simply erased some medical records here and there. Or maybe his parents did. Maybe they were even Sith! (Or knew of them...)

Or even, perhaps it's just that when Palpy was a boy he for some reason didn't exercise his Force powers, thus not getting many (or any midis in his tissues. (Anakin did exercise Force powers as a child, if you remember) That would fit (basically) with your theory.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:48 PM   #37
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Lightbulb

Another problem that's solved by putting the midis as effect instead of cause is the "Jedi X-Factor."

According to the midichlorian theory as given by the movie, all Force-sensitive children come from Force-sensitive parents. The only explanation Qui-gon has for such a disproportionate midi-count in Anakin is for him to buy Shmi's whole "immaculate conception" story.

(At some point, someone really should have explained to Qui-gon where babies come from. )

If this is the case, and Force-sensitivity all comes through bloodlines, why aren't the Jedi doing some Bene Gesserit/Nietzschean style selective breeding?

For that matter, if it all comes from bloodlines, where did the first Force-users come from?

I believe that there's a certain random (or "X") factor in Force-sensitivity. I'd imagine that, occasionally, even Jedi/Jedi couples produce non-Force-sensitive children, while two Force-blind parents can produce Force-sensitive babies.

The odds would be against it, of course, but if science has taught us anything it's that we should be wary of the "implied 100%." Even if it's more like 99.999%, safe money says that that 0.001% is out there, just waiting to come around and bite you in your Jedi Temple.

Midichlorians make a good way of identifying Jedi medically, but they don't really seem to have any actual bearing on Force abilities.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: BeastMaster ]

Old 08-12-2001, 02:12 AM   #38
Darth Prime

What about a Narn Jedi or a Membari Jedi?
Old 08-12-2001, 06:12 PM   #39
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Minbari, almost certainly.

The Narns, however, lost the appropriate gene thousands of years ago, making them effectively Force-blind.

I doubt there'll be any Narn Jedi until G'kar gets his chance to boink Lyta.

Old 08-12-2001, 07:58 PM   #40
oninosensi

Why not toss in a few Klingon or New Comer jedi for good measure?

Or Chigg? That would be cool!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 1. The HuB > The Cantina! > What race do u think can't be Jedi?