lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: What is the best Star Wars book out there?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-07-2001, 03:27 AM   #1
darthfelth

Question What is the best Star Wars book out there?

I'm sure this has been done a thousand times on these boards, but I'll ask anyway. What is the best Star Wars book out there? It can be anything relating to Star Wars. Reference books, novels, anything!
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2001, 04:41 AM   #2
Zell Raider

Thumbs up

I like Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn , Shadows of the Empire , and the essential guides to vehicles and characters
Old 08-07-2001, 05:47 AM   #3
Boba Fat

I like: The Hutt Gambit, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Star Wars Visual Dictionary, Star Wars Incredible Cross-sections, those ones before The Phantom Menace (the Obi-wan books) and many others. I also like Dark Force Rising, Heir to the Empire(as well), Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force, Star Wars Omnibus and the Young Jedi series.

There is no one GREAT STAR WARS BOOK but you should read The Hutt Gambit it's my favourite!
Old 08-07-2001, 05:52 AM   #4
Boba Fat

I like: The Hutt Gambit, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Star Wars Visual Dictionary, Star Wars Incredible Cross-sections, those ones before The Phantom Menace (the Obi-wan books) and many others. I also like Dark Force Rising, Heir to the Empire(as well Zell Raider), Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force, Star Wars Omnibus and the Young Jedi series.

There is no one GREAT STAR WARS BOOK but you should read The Hutt Gambit it's my favourite!
Old 08-07-2001, 09:56 AM   #5
virtualoctopus

Vision of the future is the best novel. The series should have ended there, instead of the New Jedi Order.
virtualoctopus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2001, 03:34 PM   #6
Boba Rhett

The Thrawn Trilogy. I also liked The Courtship of Princess Leia.

P.S. Quit double posting, Boba Fat!! It's annoying.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:36 PM   #7
MadPoster

I, Jedi

Not the book, I am talking about myself.

Needing a new sig idea to get rid of:
MadPoster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2001, 07:40 PM   #8
Garindan

Bounty Hunter Wars. *slowly turns around and walks away*
Old 08-07-2001, 10:21 PM   #9
Jedi_Prophecy

I'm 1/4 of the way through I, Jedi & it's basically a lead up to the Jedi Academy Trilogy but it's cool. Other than that, one has to read The New Rebellion, that has non stop action!!! Aswell as that I like the Essential Chronology, the Crystal Star & the Courtship of Princess Leia. I wish the Yuuzhan Vong weren't introduced however, it was more fun battling the Empire.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:21 PM   #10
Jedi_Prophecy

I'm 1/4 of the way through I, Jedi & it's basically a lead up to the Jedi Academy Trilogy but it's cool. Other than that, one has to read The New Rebellion, that has non stop action!!! Aswell as that I like the Essential Chronology, the Crystal Star & the Courtship of Princess Leia. I wish the Yuuzhan Vong weren't introduced however, it was more fun battling the Empire.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:30 PM   #11
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

The best novel?

That's an impossible question; as you see, everyone has their favourites and the ones they can't stand.

Frex, most of the fans I've talked to loathe the Jedi Academy Trilogy and want KJA strung up by his nipples. K-Mac's Black Fleet Crisis is widely hailed as the finest SW fiction ever written.

I, on the other hand, count the Jedi Academy as one of my favourite chapters, and Black Fleet is the closest I've ever come to throwing away a Star Wars book in disgust. (They're beautifully written, no doubt, but they're not Star Wars!!!)

Personally, I think NJO had the potential to be a great idea, but it's being handled the wrong way at the wrong time.

The "wrong way" comes from the fact that they (Lucasbooks) have set out to tell a certain type of story, and are shoehorning events into place with no regard for things like character or continuity.

The "wrong time" is that it comes when everyone is so desperate to "set" the Star Wars universe. Up till now there've been just the books and movies. Star Wars existed 95% in the readers' imaginations. Now, there's an official look to the bothans (that just looks too cheaply CG for my taste). There's an official map of the SW galaxy (that seems to ignore more than half the previously existing material).

I don't really have any particular fave book. In order, I like Tales of the Jedi, the Jedi Apprentice series, Courtship of Princess Leia, the Thrawn Trilogy, the X-Wing novels and comics, the Jedi Knight graphic novels, the Jedi Academy Trilogy, I, Jedi, Unions (I'm a romantic, so sue me), the Young Jedi Knights series, and Chewbacca,

Jaina/Zekk forever!!!

"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
BeastMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2001, 02:09 AM   #12
cenca

I agree completely, Master!
Old 08-20-2001, 02:09 PM   #13
Darth_Lando

There is one I reccomend to stay away from. It is either "Courtship of Lea Organa" or "Truce at Bakura" whichever one of those was written by a woman is the one to stay away from.

Now I don't have anything against women writers but the way she wrote got on my nerves with parts like "As he exherted his strength, Luke Skywalker's muscles rippled across his chest showing his masculine body...."
Ewwwww I don't want to read about Luke as some Fabio male sex symbol! GROSS! I want to read about the Luke I remember from Star Wars.. I whiney little brat. lol

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: Darth_Lando ]

"Dark Jedi don't waste their force revive on fallen n00b Jedi." -anonomus

http://www.geocities.com/everythinglando/
Darth_Lando is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2001, 02:55 PM   #14
cenca

You must be thinking of Truce at Bakura. Yeah, I really hate that one too. I've read other books that author has written and for some reason, she did a really awful job on her star wars book and a great job on her other books.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:21 PM   #15
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Actually, the only real problem I had with TaB was how easily the lead villain was killed (a pattern that repeats frequently in the EU books, unfortunately).

I mean, he sees Luke, pulls a blaster, shoots, Luke deflects the bolt, and the Bad Guy's dead.

It's like the very definition of an anticlimax.

Old 08-22-2001, 05:23 PM   #16
pandemonium

I also liked I, Jedi... my second favourite is the Thrawn Trilogy,

"I see." Said the blind Sith, as he picked up his saber and saw
pandemonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2001, 07:16 PM   #17
Jedi Bartha

I,Jedi(Corran Horn,coolest SW Character ever),Thrawn Triology which was my first and Vector Prime
Old 08-28-2001, 02:16 PM   #18
oninosensi

I, Jedi

The only SW book I have ever re-read.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:35 PM   #19
Jedi_4

Just finished reading i,jedi today...it was good, but not the best.

The best being The Thrawn Trilogy...and also vision of the future/spectre of the past...thrawn is a bad ass!... if star wars ever gets to make even more movies after the prequels, they should definately be movies of Heir to the Empire etc.. =)

later...
Old 08-28-2001, 07:45 PM   #20
ESE_Sithlord

The Best is Jedi vs. Sith and Jedi Quests and Dark Lords of Sith and Tales of the Jedi and of course the OT Books.

"I am the most powerful Sith and I will destroy you!"
ESE_Sithlord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2001, 08:11 PM   #21
pandemonium

Are comics all you read? j/k

"I see." Said the blind Sith, as he picked up his saber and saw
pandemonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2001, 12:46 AM   #22
ESE_Sithlord

Nope I read other Star Wars Novels I read Rouge Planet and Shadow Hunter and a few more. Lol but that was almost funny lol

"I am the most powerful Sith and I will destroy you!"
ESE_Sithlord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2001, 05:23 PM   #23
andy_nighthawk

Darth Lando, Kathy Tyers is one of the best Star Wars authors out there. Just cause she writes superb characterisation (and that can sometimes mean sacrificing mindless action), does that make her bad?????

Also, stop slamming the NJO. It may have gotten off to a bad start but Greg Keyes and Mrs Tyers have really saved it. I'd advise you check out Rebirth, NOW!

"Always in motion, the futures is." Yoda, ESB.
andy_nighthawk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2001, 04:47 PM   #24
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Agreed. The whole Edge of Victory duology is/are the best NJO books I've read (and it doesn't hurt that I think Nen Yim is hot ).

My only problems with them are the use of Kyp Durron (but that's an argument with the whole NJO), and the suggested Kyp/Jaina sparkage.

Unless Zekk shows up in an upcoming book and kicks Durron's ass all the way back to Kessel. . .

Once again: Jaina/Zekk Forever!!

Old 08-30-2001, 07:04 PM   #25
andy_nighthawk

well Beastmaster, after the next NJO hardcover (Star by Star), you'll be pleased to know that Jaina gets a book all to herself

"Always in motion, the futures is." Yoda, ESB.
andy_nighthawk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2001, 07:38 PM   #26
felix

I, Jedi! I, Jedi! I, Jedi! I, Jedi! I, Jedi!
Old 08-30-2001, 11:28 PM   #27
Rouge 6

I think that the obvious choice is either Dark Force Rising, Darksaber, or The New Rebellion.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 1. The HuB > The Cantina! > What is the best Star Wars book out there?