lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Which is the coolest strong, silent, evil character?
Boba Fett 24 47.06%
Darth Maul 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Poll: The Strong, Silent Evil
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-27-2002, 06:49 AM   #1
panacea

The Strong, Silent Evil

Evil SW characters with 10 or fewer total speaking lines: Boba Fett and Darth Maul.

Yeah, I know one is a Dark Jedi and one is a mercenary....but who cares, really. I just want to know which one YOU think is coolest, and why.

My opinion: Boba Fett. Okay, maybe he doesn't have cool twin sabers, and maybe he couldn't do any hippy skippy flippy kicks. BUT. Go watch ROTJ and check out his quick-draw in Jabba's palace.

With that sort of speed in the gun hand, who NEEDS the Force?

Last edited by panacea; 04-27-2002 at 08:08 AM.
panacea is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 06:53 AM   #2
Darksider

boba fett isnt evil.

read the EU novels relating to boba fett, particularly the boba fett part of tales of the bounty hunters which explains his background too, boba fett isnt evil =p
Darksider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 06:54 AM   #3
Pedantic

I like Darth Maul and his hippy skippy flippy kicks.
Pedantic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 07:00 AM   #4
panacea

What? The EU novels? I take it those would not be part of the original book trilogy, i.e. the novelization of the original three movies, all of which are the only really canon sources?

Let's face it. Boba chased Han Solo through two movies, played ball with Vader to capture him, almost killed Chewie, and tried to throw Luke into the Sarlacc pit. That sounds pretty evil to ME.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:09 AM   #5
D'akt Sangwar

he is a bounty hunter, depending on who hired him he can be good or evil
D'akt Sangwar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 07:16 AM   #6
EffJi

I chose Darth Maul.

When I watched the movie there was a girl that started crying when she first saw him, that's how evil he is.

BTW: I haven't seen ANH or ESB yet, the only time a saw Boba was when he got killed by a blind man.
EffJi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 07:22 AM   #7
Vestril
The Man

He's not in ANH and he does an AMAZING job of STANDING in ESB. Yes ladies and gentlemen, Boba Fett goes in to action all of one time in the original trilogy, and he gets his a$$ whupped by a half blind guy...yeah...a realllllllll big shot

Quote:
boba fett isnt evil.
Even in the books all Boba Fett cares about is money. If you are willing to kill people, torture people, send people to be killed, or send people to be tortured and then killed for money, you are EVIL, its that simple.

Vestril was here!!!!!!!!!
Vestril is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 07:26 AM   #8
Darksider

actually, he cares about justice, the people he kills are evil thats why he does it, boba no evil!

and all that 'canon' crap is just stupidity
Old 04-27-2002, 07:38 AM   #9
Pseudonym

Red face

Boba Fett was a minor character and Gearge Lucas gave him a dishonorable death.
The only reason (IMO) that he's being mentioned now, in the new movies, is because so many people complained that he was too cool to just fall in a pit and die.
Pseudonym is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 08:16 AM   #10
panacea

He was too cool to fall into the pit and just die.

And what's this about some "half-blind guy" killing him? What "guy" are you talking about? All I saw was a General of the New Republic, the same guy that almost waxed Darth Vader over the first Death Star, destroyed the shield generator on the Sanctuary moon, made the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs, and was so intimidating that 30 of the Empire's best shock stormtroopers turned tail and ran at the very sight of him.

What about Maul? This is a creation of pure evil that was bred to kill, and yet he's so singleminded that he doesn't even notice a VERY PRONOUNCED WOBBLE on a fallen lightsaber? He's so "evil" that he doesn't even have the wherewithall to put his guard up when he sees A) that saber fly into the pit where his dangerous opponent is still hanging and B) that dangerous opponent leap up and over his head with a very active and deadly saber? Come ON.

And I'm sorry.....the canon 'crap' is not crap. It's canon. Thank you come again
Old 04-27-2002, 08:19 AM   #11
Darksider

bleh, half the richness of the starwars universe comes from the extended universe! bleargh to canon i say!
Old 04-27-2002, 09:27 AM   #12
Vestril
The Man

Quote:
actually, he cares about justice, the people he kills are evil thats why he does it, boba no evil!
Yeah like Luke, and Han, and Leia...such evil people...

Quote:
bleh, half the richness of the starwars universe comes from the extended universe! bleargh to canon i say!
I agree EU is fun, but face facts, George Lucas has officially made the EU his b!tch, Boba Fetts backstory being example #1

Quote:
And what's this about some "half-blind guy" killing him? What "guy" are you talking about? All I saw was a General of the New Republic, the same guy that almost waxed Darth Vader over the first Death Star, destroyed the shield generator on the Sanctuary moon, made the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs, and was so intimidating that 30 of the Empire's best shock stormtroopers turned tail and ran at the very sight of him.
Much of this only happened after Boba Fett was thrown to his doom, and if you think being killed by someone activating jetpack on by mistake represents skill...well it seems to me a more skilled Fett might A)Grab on to something rather than scream like a schoolgirl or B)Turn the Jetpack BACK ON...

Quote:
What about Maul? This is a creation of pure evil that was bred to kill, and yet he's so singleminded that he doesn't even notice a VERY PRONOUNCED WOBBLE on a fallen lightsaber? He's so "evil" that he doesn't even have the wherewithall to put his guard up when he sees A) that saber fly into the pit where his dangerous opponent is still hanging and B) that dangerous opponent leap up and over his head with a very active and deadly saber? Come ON.
Which shows yet again that when Lucas writes a bada$$ he does it very, very poorly (sorry...I love Star Wars but the fact is that in the movies Boba Fett is a putz and Darth Maul is really, really sloppy)

Old 04-27-2002, 10:45 AM   #13
BS - soundwave

Bobba Fett > maul
BS - soundwave is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 11:06 AM   #14
princessliar

Maul's teeth are evil, eeevil!

princessliar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 11:24 AM   #15
Ten Tigers

Both Boba Fett, and Maul got punked out.

Hell, even Vader got punked out in my opinion.

He shouldve just force pushed Palpatine's monkey a$$ over the edge rather than try to throw him over with his one good hand.

But my vote went to Fett. How can you NOT be a badass when you got the force? Naw man, Fett had good old fashion skills. Not to mention he is one of the only people in the galaxy that could get a strait deal out of Darth Vader.

I hope Fett carries over into Episode 3 since he is just gonna be a little boy in EP2.

I love a good fight...
Ten Tigers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 11:32 AM   #16
brigand1138

Darth Maul wins hands down, he was a greatly skilled Sith lord who bested Qui-Gon Jinn in battle, and was only beaten by Obi-Wan Kenobi, a legend in his own right (even Darth Vader himself described Kenobi as the greatest Jedi that ever lived).

Now lets look at Boba Fett, yes he was a great bounty hunter with a 'near' first class record (he failed to get Han Solo several times and in the end needed Vader and the Empire to capture him) To the guy who said he's not evil, that's rubbish, if he wasn't evil he wouldn't have handed Han over to Vader to be tortured, he'd have just captured him himself (if he was good enough). Also, he was beaten by a blind Han Solo who had his back turned to him, and died squealing like a little girl crying to her mummy!

In my opinion Boba fett is WAAAAAYY over-rated and should never have been resurrected from the sarlaac pit for the abomination that is the Bounty Hunter wars trilogy. I'd rather read a Star Trek novel (ERGH!)

Just as a note, no offence is intended to the original poster or anyone who likes the EU stories about Fett, if you like them that's cool, I love the EU but I avoid stories about Fett like the plague! He died in ROTJ, Lucas said it himself, and that's the way I see it.

Lets see if his father can be a better example!!

Mal Brigand

Mal Brigand
"In the dark, see past our eyes"
brigand1138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 11:40 AM   #17
BS - soundwave

Bobba Fett is IMO a cooler looking character, sure maul is evil looking and all but Bobba fett is a much classier villian.
BS - soundwave is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 11:45 AM   #18
[Dom_Pmd]

Lightbulb Hah!

I think the better question would be: Which one is more MYSTERIOUS?

Hands down its Boba Fett.

[Dom_Pmd] is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 05:18 PM   #19
panacea

Quote:
Originally posted by Ten Tigers
Both Boba Fett, and Maul got punked out.

Hell, even Vader got punked out in my opinion.
You know......you're right.

Quote:
Which shows yet again that when Lucas writes a bada$$ he does it very, very poorly (sorry...I love Star Wars but the fact is that in the movies Boba Fett is a putz and Darth Maul is really, really sloppy)
Also a great point. What's up, George? You write these potentially awesome characters and turn them into pansies. What the hell's the point of THAT?
Old 04-27-2002, 06:53 PM   #20
Zek

Quote:
Originally posted by D'akt Sangwar
he is a bounty hunter, depending on who hired him he can be good or evil
It's his willingness to do evil deeds if the price is right that makes him evil, regardless of how many good employers he has inbetween.
Zek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 07:05 PM   #21
quamosity

Quote:
Originally posted by Vestril
He's not in ANH and he does an AMAZING job of STANDING in ESB. Yes ladies and gentlemen, Boba Fett goes in to action all of one time in the original trilogy, and he gets his a$$ whupped by a half blind guy...yeah...a realllllllll big shot

Actually, he IS in ANH. He was digitally inserted into the Special Edition scene with Solo and Jabba the Hutt. He does another great job of standing, but at least he makes an appearance.
quamosity is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 10:08 PM   #22
Vestril
The Man

I stopped counting the Special Edition when I realized there was a MUSICAL NUMBER in RotJ

Old 04-28-2002, 09:51 AM   #23
Trahern Valley

Ah, the joy of watching the divided opinions unfold! Original trilogy vs. prequels, original vs. remastered versions, movies vs. novels and other spin-off material...

*Glances fondly at his 'Boba Fett - Enemy Of The Empire' which contains a fight between Fett and Vader.*

First off, I'm voting for Fett. He's evil. He doesn't have an excuse, like any old Sith; he's just morally bankrupt, which is why he probably isn't fiscally so. He's smart enough to suss out Han Solo's plan and project his trajectory to Bespin so he can inform Vader (there seemed to be some sort of relationship between the two, and I hear that may be explained in episodes 2 and 3). He correctly assesses Luke as the greatest threat during the fight over the Saarlak pit and holds his own against a trained Jedi. His comical death at the hands of Han is poetic justice, and I don't think he was short-changed at all.

Maul, now...until he showed up, I thought Darth was Vader's first name! (If it's any consolation, I know how to pronounce Xizor!) He shows up on Tattooine for no adequetly explored reason before failing to stop his prey from escaping the planet. He holds his own against a jedi and his padawan; he's a sith, after all. How he met his own death proved he was more familiar with using his (admittedly very cool) saber than his brain.
Trahern Valley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2002, 10:06 AM   #24
7-7ighlander

Woah, close fight. Id expected Boba to win, hands down.
Anyways: Vote like 7, Vote for Boba!

Really, Maul is way too stereotypical as an evil sith who follows the emperors every command and he is only featured in one of the movies. Boba is in all the released movies with the expection of Phantom Menace (Yes, hes in the cg'd version of ANH, standing next to Jabba), has some story to him and is one bad mofo, as a less refined version of Mace Windu would have put it.
7-7ighlander is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2002, 12:51 PM   #25
Chewie Bakker

Darth Maul vs Boba Fett

When you really think about it, what did Darth Maul do that was evil? He fights Qui-Gon one-on-one, then takes on both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Aside from that all he does is glare at the Neimoidians who are bazillions of Kilometres away through the holo, plays sniffer-dog and tracks down Queen Amidala for his master, gets his cool lightsaber broken, and dies when he gets too cocky and believes he can slay Obi-Wan with the sparks from his lightsaber.

Boba Fett died cheaply, but at least he plotted the capture of Captain Solo. Even though he pretty much bank-shot himself into the Sarlac pit with much thanks to Han.

"Chewie" Bakker
Chewie Bakker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2002, 12:59 PM   #26
princessliar

But Maul has his own cookie jar!!

Old 04-28-2002, 01:20 PM   #27
Mr. White

One: The cookie jar above made me loose all respect for Maul, and Two: There are a whole family of "strong, silent" Fett's starting with the biggest bada$$ of them all: Jango. It's the helmet, it's got to be the helmet. The Fetts always get their man. Maul doesn't.

Team Flawless strikes again!
Mr. White is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2002, 01:32 PM   #28
Chanke4252

I think Sarlak is the coolest character with under 10 spoken lines. I mean think about it, he's killed like 4203480298203 people and never even been to a hospital. He's the real badass.

"If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song."
-Jack Handey
Chanke4252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2002, 02:47 PM   #29
princessliar

Tremble before the awesome power of... the Darth Maul commuter mug!

Old 04-28-2002, 04:20 PM   #30
BlackMagic

Quote:
BTW: I haven't seen ANH or ESB yet, the only time a saw Boba was when he got killed by a blind man.
Put the mouse down and go rent them now. Better yet go buy the DVDs.

Quote:
I stopped counting the Special Edition when I realized there was a MUSICAL NUMBER in RotJ
There was always a musical number in ROTJ. They just changed the music for the SE. Personally I liked the old one better. Yub-yub.

EDIT: As for the original topic. Boba gets points for class and mystery, but I've got to hand it to Maul in the style department.
BlackMagic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2002, 04:33 PM   #31
Sokaran

I think theri both cool, but I really like Darth Maul...just because well...hes a Jedi! I dont care about the books and blah blah blah this is just an opinion question not a debate.

"If you strike me down I will only become stronger than you can possibly imagine"
Sokaran is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2002, 04:46 PM   #32
Vestril
The Man

Quote:
There was always a musical number in ROTJ. They just changed the music for the SE. Personally I liked the old one better. Yub-yub.
There used to be a few seconds of puppets moving around to a good song, now there is a full on musical number.

This is my attack (don't take it to seriously) on Boba Fett from a different thread...

Boba Fett, who is supposed to be fighter extrodinaire got taken down by a lucky shot...c'mon, I mean that's just sloppy, sure, it could happen to you or I, but to someone who's supposed to be a badass? Apparently he doesn't know how to guide the rocket pack... Seriously, the guy is just eye candy--we see him in action one time and he gets taken down by a crippled guy without any cool armor, and he never does a good job of taking on Luke, he tries to snag Luke and Luke cut's his little rope.

I think Boba Fett's real backstory is that he's a daddy's boy how tries to build off Jango's rep, but he's really a screwup, remeber Darth acting so condecendingly to him? He treats him like a foul-up that he has to put up with cause his dad helped create the Empire...I mean, he treats everyone else like they're good, but he feels the need to tell Boba Fett not to vaporize the prey.

The way I see it the 'tracking' he did in ESB was just dumb luck--see, the Imperials played a practical joke on him and made him park his ship in with the garbage, and when they dumped the garbage we miss some Fett dialogue: 'Jeepers, all of these other bounty hunters are just floating away, I'll follow that guy...it must be Bossk, he's goooooood'

lol...

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Poll: The Strong, Silent Evil