lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Is there a way to decompile a bsp?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-27-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
DigitalVapor

Is there a way to decompile a bsp?

I really want to pick apart some of the games maps to see how they were done, and in the case of the valley of the jedi, see what it consists of. Any way for me to do that?

Im just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions. ....Oh wait, I dont have a lightsaber. Uhhh...I dont really have any questions either. Ya know I think I'm in the wrong cantina too. Oh well, give me a shot of blue milk.
DigitalVapor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2002, 10:35 PM   #2
chrispcarter

Unhappy

Ususally there is no no map "decompiler", simply because the development team would never need one, they have the .MAP files and know everything they need to.

So, you will just have to hope someone comes up with one. I do recall bsp2map (or whatever it was called) for Half-Life, it was a bit buggy, the resultant .map usually was invalid in a few ways, but you could see how stuff worked, and that's not a bad thing it's a GOOD thing...

Chris "DDP" Carter

"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me"
chrispcarter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2002, 12:37 AM   #3
gumplunger

actually i know you can decompile half-life bsp's with something called WinBSP. its freeware and works decent, although sometimes screwing the textures up. just search around for it, on some half-life mapping site maybe. you might try it on the jkII bsp's, see if it works.
gumplunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2002, 01:55 AM   #4
PurplWulf

winbsp doesn't work on JKII .bsp's, you'll get invalid lump size errors, and the program will crash and close on you without decompiling the file.

the purple one

PurplWulf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JO Mapping > Is there a way to decompile a bsp?