lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-23-2001, 02:09 PM   #1
Darth_Lando

Post Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

has anyone seen this movie? (I have seen it twice) I hope George Lucas incorporates some of the fighting techniques in his next 2 SW films.

The fight scenes are incredible. My favorite guy was Chow Yun Fat, he was was such a good warrior that whenever he fought he barely put any effort into it and would whoop whoever he was fighting.

My two fav parts? When he simply drew his sword and it made a sound that scared his opponent into running away and then when he picked up a stick and fought against a sword with it.

I am ready to see it again. Anyone lese liked the movie?
Darth_Lando is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2001, 01:21 AM   #2
oninosensi

Considering EP2 is done filming, i doubt they will use those moves. No i have not seen the movie, but will rent it when i have a VCR to watch it with.

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2001, 11:51 AM   #3
Jedi SuperBuen

I havin't seen the movie either but now that you mentioned it I might just check it out...

------------------
You can do it your own way
Just as long as it's done just how I say...
Jedi SuperBuen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2001, 04:07 PM   #4
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

I've seen it, and loved it.

My fave part was at the beginning, when the ninja girl stole the Jade Destiny, and the mercenary woman was duelling her.

Quote:
They steal it, they bring it back, they steal it, they bring it back. . . My home is turning into a warehouse!
The fight coreographer worked on The Matrix, BTW.

The girl I went to see it with agreed that that's the kind of fighting Jedi should be doing, with the Force-assisted leaps, speeded up punches/kicks, prescient blocking.

A little creative use of telekinesis goes a long way.

------------------
"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
BeastMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2001, 02:17 AM   #5
paulbarnard

Actually, the Jedi when fighting are in a heightened state of alert. It requires concentration to use Force Powers. That's why they use it only momentarily. If they were to divide their attention they would lose focus and light sabers instead of blocking and parrying all of the sudden remove their weilders feet. They can do the jumps, lightening punches/kicks, or they can fight with the light saber. Light saber training/sparring is one of the many forms of Force meditation.

(Where I draw these conclusions from: WEG RPG Core Guide, Wizards RPG Core Guide, Guide to the Star Wars Universe)
Old 02-28-2001, 01:42 PM   #6
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by paulbarnard:
They can do the jumps, lightening punches/kicks, or they can fight with the light saber.
Yeah, that's what I mean; they should drop their sabers at some point and go hand-to-hand.

Realistically, all you can do with a lightsaber is maim or kill an opponent, with hand-to-hand you have the capacity to disable, stun, or half-a-dozen other effects.

Besides, I can't imagine a Jedi using a saber against an unarmed foe. Blasters and sabers are one thing, but if a Jedi manages to knock a lightsaber out of a Sith's hand, then I can't picture the Jedi cutting a helpless enemy down.

------------------
Old 02-28-2001, 04:19 PM   #7
paulbarnard

"IF a Jedi ingnites his lightsaber, he must be ready to take a life. If he is not so prepared, he must keep his weapon at his side"-- Naster Odan-Urr (Tales of the Jedi, Wizards rpg p156).

The Dark Side is the Dark Side. As long as it is seen as duty, the Jedi should kill the Sith.
Old 02-28-2001, 08:28 PM   #8
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

But Beastmaster did make a good point though, I'd say: give the Sith his lightsaber back and continue the fight in a fair matter. Or indeed, drop your own lightsaber and make like Mohammed Ali.

------------------
No!
I am your father.
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2001, 10:34 PM   #9
Ben_Kenobi

I did not see Maul hooking Kenobi up with a saber after he knocked him down the core shaft or offer to help him up. Dude its kill or be killed. Like was said above if you draw your blade then you are committing yourself to using it no matter what the conditions. Live by the sword die by the sword its that simple.

------------------
Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people......
Old 03-01-2001, 02:52 AM   #10
paulbarnard

The Jedi life may be hard, but that doesn't mean your stupid and take the hardest path every time. If a Dark Jedi engages you and you knock his light saber up, you cut the SOB to pieces and hope Jedi more wise than you can figure out who trained the Dark Jedi and what his/her motives were.
Old 03-01-2001, 04:29 PM   #11
Garindan

And the reason you kill a sith or jedi instead of disabling him is so you don't have to spend all the resources into guarding a prison that he/she is going to be held in.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:34 PM   #12
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Smile

That is also true. Hmmm... I feel that there is a mental conflict about to begin inside of me.
But remember, a wise man once said, A sword is not for killing,it's for protecting people! I just can't remember which wise man it was.

------------------
No!
I am your father.
Old 03-02-2001, 03:13 AM   #13
paulbarnard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt:
But remember, a wise man once said, A sword is not for killing,it's for protecting people! I just can't remember which wise man it was.

That is easy enought to justify philisophically. By killing the Dark Jedi (not all Dark Jedi are Sith guys), you have protected the people from evil. The Dark Jedi will no longer be able to harm any more innocent people.
Old 03-02-2001, 11:26 AM   #14
Jedi SuperBuen

Plus I don't want to see any movies with some disabled Sith... I want to see the mofo cut in half

------------------
Old 03-02-2001, 08:14 PM   #15
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Lightbulb

You'll have to, otherwise there wouldn't be a Darth Vader!!!! Just think about it, if OB1 had simply killed Anakin, Vader would never have existed. HAH! I was right, it is better to let your opponent live!:

------------------
No!
I am your father.
Old 03-03-2001, 01:07 AM   #16
Jawamaster

I once read that it is disrespectful to cut down an unarmed man with a lightsaber. Besides, Maul was just making sparks fly at ob1 with his lightsaber so he would fall, he had no intention of cutting him dow, I think.

------------------
Jawamaster
Old 03-03-2001, 11:21 AM   #17
Jedi SuperBuen

riiiiiight Jawamaster, just like he saw a stain on Qui-Gon's outfit and just wanted to clean it out... using his lightsaber!

------------------
Old 03-04-2001, 05:10 PM   #18
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Kenobi:
I did not see Maul hooking Kenobi up with a saber after he knocked him down the core shaft or offer to help him up.
That was Maul, he was a Sith. You should be able to expect Jedi to hold higher standards for themselves than their enemies do.

Just because your oponent cheats is no reason to sink to his/her level, otherwise your "victory" is meaningless.

One of the whole problem's with "Kyp's" view in NJO, actually, but that's a whole 'nuther topic.

------------------
Old 03-05-2001, 03:14 AM   #19
oninosensi

Disarming your opponent then killing them dead is a time honored tradition. How many JK/MoTS players use force pull in game? I know it happens.

Any chance to reduce the striking power of the enemy should be used. It is not evil to do so, mearly effective.

"What Mr. Sith? Lost your saber? Well, I gonna have ta kill ya anyway."

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
Old 03-05-2001, 03:36 AM   #20
Rogue9
Supreme Allied Commander

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Forum Veteran 
force pull is cool I love watching disarmed stormtroopers run around like headless chickens before i disarm them for real.
Rogue9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2001, 07:07 PM   #21
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Lightbulb

Cool... Perhaps, but fair, oh no. I rarely use it in MP-games. (And lose big time ) But at least I died with honour.

------------------
No!
I am your father.
Old 03-05-2001, 11:51 PM   #22
Jawamaster

I said it's disrespectable to cut down an UNarmed man with a lightsaber. Qui-Gon wasn't unarmed. Plus, he's a sith, what'd'ya expect.
Old 03-06-2001, 12:33 AM   #23
oninosensi

NOT true! Quite-Gon had two arms- he was using them to hold up his saber!!

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
Old 03-06-2001, 12:39 PM   #24
Jedi SuperBuen

Jawamaster: You said that Maul didn't have the intention of killing Obi-Wan when he was hanging from that post, I'm telling you he did. He was just gloating, teasing OB1 for he knew he had won... Amateur mistake!

------------------
Old 03-06-2001, 08:05 PM   #25
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Yeah, he could have finished it straight away, he could easily have poked his lightsaber through OB1's head! Good thing he didn't.

------------------
No!
I am your father.
Old 03-06-2001, 11:23 PM   #26
oninosensi

Lightbulb

Although, if Maul had killed Obi, then took on Anikin as an appentice....

Hehehehehe- just imagine what the SW universe would be like then.

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
Old 03-07-2001, 02:36 AM   #27
paulbarnard

Maul couldn't teach him as a Sith though.
Old 03-07-2001, 02:09 PM   #28
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Yes, the very fact that Maul wasted time toying with his prey proved that he wasn't ready to take his master's place as senior Sith Lord.

Had Maul actually remembered the training that Sideous had been hammering into his head for years, he'd have made a clean kill and gotten the Hell off-planet because his part of the mission was over.

Ironically, his lack of efficiency is what finally killed him.

Quote:
People have said that I am evil. I'm not evil; I'm efficient.
--Darth Maul's Journal (first entry)

------------------
Old 03-07-2001, 02:26 PM   #29
Jedi SuperBuen

I think Maul was evil, I don't care what he says...

That story of Maul taking Anakin as an apprentice should be in the new Dark Horse comics series "Infinities".. First issue has Luke missing on his run on the Death Star, kind of a "what if" series... seems pretty kewl...

------------------
Old 03-07-2001, 03:43 PM   #30
paulbarnard

Yeah, but the problem with the infinity series is that one day they'll get the bug up their ass that DC comics got and make Crisis on Infinite Earth type series....
Old 03-07-2001, 11:01 PM   #31
Jedi SuperBuen

Yeah, I mean basically "Infinities" is DC Comics' Elseworlds (which btw 90% of the stories suck). It's not a new concept, I mean maybe to the Star Wars fans (althought I consider all Star Wars novels/comics except adaptation to be 'elseworlds'. Chewie never died in my eyes)but DC has had that for many years now. I'm still I'm curious to see what will happen with thsi infinites thing...

------------------
Old 03-08-2001, 01:47 AM   #32
paulbarnard

Probably my biggest pet peeve in Star Wars is people who don't accept the events in the novels. Yeah, sure I can understand the comics (they are really hit and miss, need I even mention Dark Empire 2, much less Dark Empire). It's the aproved story arc by Lucas Liscencing. That means in the room that the story arc was being thought out/proposed sat a fattening, plaid shirt, bearded man who gave his final aproval and said, yep, that's how I want it done.
Old 03-08-2001, 02:34 PM   #33
Jedi SuperBuen

Why be bothered by what people accept or don't?

I never understand the whole canon, not canon arguments... If you liked the novels, then you liked the novels and you can accept them as "canon".

I don't hold any books/comics/etc as what it is because Lucas said not too. Look at Boba Fett, we all know they are completely going to change whatever history he had since you can read somewhere on the starwars.com page that they say "alot of rumours have been said about Boba Fett etc etc", therefore saying whatever you thought you knew, well forget it b/c Lucas wants to do his own thing. Same as the Dark Horse comics Tales of the Jedi, and such. With the new "there can only be two Sith at the same time" rule, well all of those stories are pointless! Lucas wanted the story of the Sith to be with Darth Bane, so now DH has too "tweak" it's stories...

So the reason why I consider all the novels/comics/etc as "what could happen" is b/c it can be changed totally in Ep II & III.

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to Black,
But the memory remains...
Old 03-08-2001, 04:04 PM   #34
paulbarnard

Because Lucas is a total control freak (technical term). Everything out there has gone across his desk in one form or another. It's been aproved (although some ideas were rather poor). Essentially, the published material is the only thing keeping the story going (and I'm mostly talking Truce at Bakura time wise novels and forward).

You should all know or recognize that the Bounty Hunter Trilogy was probably the poorest excuse ever of Star Wars being allowed to publish. Why wouldn't he want to go back and change things?

The thing that makes it a pet peeve is that it is out there, aproved and published. You/I may not like it, but guess what, the flannel wearing bearded guy said ok. That's it. End of story, Creator of Universe said it happened, therefore it happened. Only he has the power to take it back.
Old 03-08-2001, 09:48 PM   #35
Jedi SuperBuen

Yeah he said ok you can write that, with the condition that if I want to change it later than I will and I WON'T follow it at all.

So sure it's been in front of Lucas, he glanced at it, made sure that it didn't talk about Episode I to III and said sure print it. But he has proved that he will and has changed some of the EU, which is where all the confrontations over canon/non-canon arguments come from.

So it doesn't matter if he approved of it or not. Because he can change it at will. He's made it clear that it's more of a "what might happen, since I can change it if I want".

If Lucas wants to make Episode 7,8, and 9 and kill of Luke, C-3P0 and destroy the Falcon in them, then all the things he "approved" wouldn't matter anyways. So basically your argument doesn't fall thru.

What matters is what I like. Just like for you, it's what you like. So who cares if I think it's what happened.

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
Old 03-09-2001, 03:22 PM   #36
paulbarnard

Go back to the Creator Universe Clase I wrote.
Besides, Luke has died at least 2 times, the Falcon crashed/wrecked at least once...and how many times has 3PO been blown/ripped apart in the movies alone?
Old 03-09-2001, 11:37 PM   #37
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi SuperBuen:
Why be bothered by what people accept or don't?

I never understand the whole canon, not canon arguments... If you liked the novels, then you liked the novels and you can accept them as "canon".
YES, EXACTLY!!!

I was beginning to think I was the only one refusing to take part in the canon battle.

The official story is that the novels/comics/games/whatever aren't canon and can be contradicted by Lucas, but realistically, does anyone really think he's really going to make a concerted effort to wipe out the current continuity?

The prequel trilogy will (hopefully) be the last Star Wars movies. With luck, any future efforts won't have Lucas directly involved (i.e., they'll be TV series, or something else outside of Lucas' area of expertise) and will follow the official (yet non-canon).

After Ep. III, Lucas**** will make a final round of revisions/explanations/fanwanks, and we'll be free to accept/disregard the official continuity.

Personally, I like the novels, even the really bad ones (Black Fleet Crisis, Empire's End, etc) because, frankly, it's better than nothing!!!

Even if one chunk of the story sucks, the overall continuity makes it worth it IMHO.

------------------
Old 03-10-2001, 04:26 AM   #38
paulbarnard

Actually, Black Fleet, Anything after the Jedi Academy by Anderson, Dark Empire , Dark Empire 2, Empire's End, Crimson Empire, The Bounty Hunter Trilogy, Planet of the Twilight, Children of the Jedi and the Crystal Star pretty much all suck.

That leaves Thrawn Trilogy, Jedi Academy, X-Wing Series (both book and comic), I Jedi, The New Rebellion, and Hand of Thrawn dualogy as ones i couldn't stop reading. I would put tales of the Jedi series here too.

That leaves things like Truce at Bakura, Correllian Trilogy, Courtship, most of the comics and the Tales collections as books average at best
Old 03-10-2001, 01:31 PM   #39
Jedi SuperBuen

Anyways it doesn't really matter, we can all like and dislike what we want, so I agree with you paul... woah let me quote myself

Quote:
I agree with you paul
Now as for Jedi Academy being good... Ok ok I won't go there...

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
Old 03-11-2001, 03:42 PM   #40
paulbarnard

The only reason it is good is that it re-establishes the Jedi Order and gives us all new characters to watch grow. Most of the EU is from that novel. It's also the expierment where LucasLicencing was trying to mesh the books, movies and Dark Horse all together in one giant story arc.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 1. The HuB > The Cantina! > Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon