lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Science Fiction or Star Wars Whichever You Want!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-20-2001, 12:38 AM   #1
cenca

Lightbulb Science Fiction or Star Wars Whichever You Want!

Let's start a story, but it doesn't realy have to be about Star Wars, just about science fiction in general. But since we are in a Star Wars site...well whatever! k....

Telon looked at the Kia. She shrugged. "I'm not sure what he's trying to do, but I hope he finishes it soon. Cause we'll be dead if he doesn't."
Telon looked to the left. The coast was clear for now. But that could change at any moment...
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2001, 12:47 AM   #2
oninosensi

Suddenly, a squad of wascly wabbits with wave motion pistols teleported in, and blew them both away, and they where dead irrevocably, and finally.

"We got thhhemmmm." the wabbit commander said into his wrist comm. "theyyyy willl nutt be botherrrrring anyywonnn every again."

"Goood jobb. Bonuusss carrrots forrr youu annnd yourrr squaaad." the commander told him.

And with that, they teleported out.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:52 AM   #3
cenca

that's really sad.

Well, since my book got fried...so, how about them spaceships? pretty awesome huh?

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Qwi Xux ]
Old 08-20-2001, 08:08 PM   #4
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwi Xux:
so, how about them spaceships? pretty awesome huh?
You don't want to do this when I'm around.

You know how some guys are really into cars? Building hot rods and tricking out stock models?

Well, I'm really into starships.

My personal fave: the High Guard Glorious Heritage-class cruiser (like the Andromeda Ascendant from Andromeda).

Second fave: the Whitestar-class battlecruiser (from Babylon 5).

BTW, "spaceships" can't travel FTL and are generally restricted to one solar system (the NASA space shuttle is an example). If a ship can travel between star systems, then it qualifies as a "starship" (no real-world anolog exists in human hands).

"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
BeastMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2001, 12:16 AM   #5
oninosensi

ok, so define starcruiser.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:11 PM   #6
cenca

my personal fav is The Star Destroyer Chimaera from the book Heir to the Empire.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:19 PM   #7
pandemonium

I'm not sure this qualifies as a 'star cruiser', but I like TIE defenders...

"I see." Said the blind Sith, as he picked up his saber and saw
pandemonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2001, 11:37 AM   #8
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

"Starcruiser" is one of those terms that's almost impossible to define.

Y'see, it's a class of ship, so it changes meaning depending on context (and universe).

In Star Wars, frex, a 'cruiser is a starship (either "heavy," "light," or "medium") that can deploy a certain amount of firepower within a certain span of time. It can also (again, depending on context) refer to any ship capable of carrying passengers in addition to its crew.

In Star Trek, by contrast, "starcruiser" seems to be just a(n unused) synonym for "starship." I've heard both the Enterprise and the Defiant referred to as "Federation starcruisers."

Most of the time, starships fall into three categories: starfighters (X-wings, slipfighters, starfuries, etc), transports (the Millennium Falcon, the Eureka Maru, etc), and capital ships (Mon Cal cruisers, High Guard battleships, Earthfroce Destroyers, etc).

Then you get into the ships that fall into two or more categories, and stretch all definitions. The Whitestar, for instance, is the size of a cap ship, but functions like a giant starfighter (blisteringly fast, fires forward-only, and looks like a predator even when standing still).

"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
BeastMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 1. The HuB > The Cantina! > Science Fiction or Star Wars Whichever You Want!