lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Video Card question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-22-2001, 03:18 PM   #1
Kylilin
Wiseass

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Post Video Card question

My computer is a PIII 550 Mhz with 96 MB of Ram, soon to be upgraded to 192 or 256. I have a Rage II video card and I am looking to purchase a better video card, I'm looking to spend between 100 and 200 smackaroonies, anyone have any suggestions as to which video card would be the best bang for the buck?
Kylilin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2001, 06:06 PM   #2
Kurgan

Getting a flavor of GeForce2 is probably a good idea, I really like my GTS.

Of course if you want to spend more, you could get a GeForce3, but in the end, in a year or two whatever you get will be obsolete (and much cheaper if you waited) so it's up to you...

Kurgan
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2001, 07:46 AM   #3
Boba Fat

Umm mine is a Siluro or something I think its a geforce 2 but I don't know!
Anyway when companies dish out games you always need better things to play them. If you try to get the ultimate gaming machine it will just get obselete. So just by what you want but I bought my card recrently and it was about $200 australian dollars. It should be about $100 american dollars. I also have a Diamond Viper V770 and that was $400 I think but it was a while ago so it should be $100 or $200 roughly.

Boba Fat
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2001, 05:07 PM   #4
Darth_Lando

I am passionate on this topic so here are my opinions

Light-weight cards
Do not get anything slower than a Kyro II.. meaning do not get a Geforce 2 MX. The Kyro II kicks some serious butt for being such a "lightweight" however it is outclassed by the bigger boys.

Mid-class cards
The Geforce 2 or Radeon 64 is a good choice. Both have pros and cons you need to research each card (look past PR BS) and decide which one has most what you want in a card.

Heavy-weight
Next month there will only be one worthy card for the heavy weight class and that is the Radeon7500. It's SRP is $200 so it should be about $150-$170 at the stores. It is a Directx 7 card which is the biggest mark against it. However it smokes the Geforce 2 Pro and Geforce 2 Ultra and is just as fastas the Geforce 3 in DX7 games but of course the GF3 beats it in DX8 games. Possible the Geforce 3 MX may be a good choice but we have to wait and see what the price is(could be anywhere between $250-300).

Champion Cards
No doubt the champion cards will be the Geforce 3, Geforce 3 Ultra, and the Radeon 8500. These will cost an arm and a leg though. All of them will be over $350 to buy .

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: Darth_Lando ]

"Dark Jedi don't waste their force revive on fallen n00b Jedi." -anonomus

http://www.geocities.com/everythinglando/
Darth_Lando is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 1. The HuB > The Cantina! > Video Card question