lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: If there is not another JK2 patch will it hurt the reputation of LucusArts and Raven?
Yes, I would probably reconsider purchasing another product from either of them. 31 40.26%
No, I will buy other games from one or the other again. 46 59.74%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: How much does a reputation cost?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-16-2002, 08:15 PM   #1
NewBJedi

Question How much does a reputation cost?

Figure I'll make my own post on this one.

I have $50 + saying JK2 better be patched.

I have another $50 + that can either go toward SOF 2 or another non-Raven or non-LucasArts game.

Raven/LucasArts will make my decision for me - patch the game or I buy games from other dev teams and publishers.

I don't care how much money it takes ..

How much does a reputation cost?

Is it up to Raven or LucasArts?

I don't care who is responsible at this point.

Raven is developing the game and LucasArts is publishing it - whether they pay or beg LucasArts to accept another patch is their problem, not mine.

I'm tired of who is to blame or what. Whether it be LucasArts or Raven.

If I don't see another JK2 patch that fixes the problems, I will not purchase another game from either of them again - it's that simple.

How do you feel?
NewBJedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2002, 08:25 PM   #2
Epyon9283

I'll buy another game from Raven. SOF 2. Anyway, its not really Raven's desicion to make another patch. The publisher decides that stuff.
Epyon9283 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2002, 08:37 PM   #3
NewBJedi

That's why the poll says either - so you can pick who you want to blame.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:27 PM   #4
Pedantic

I won't stop buying games from them just 'cause of a lousy patch. After all, if I stopped buying LucasArts games, well, I wouldn't be playing any Star Wars games ever again.
Pedantic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2002, 09:28 PM   #5
NewBJedi

Not due to a lousy patch, what if they never patch it again?

You would still purchase - even though you may receive the same lackluster support in their other games?
Old 05-16-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
Dea

I'd buy the next starwars game without a doubt
Dea is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2002, 10:51 PM   #7
Old_Ben

Even though it would be pretty bad not to release another patch, but I would buy from Lucas Arts just beacause I like Star Wars games.

Old_Ben is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2002, 11:39 PM   #8
Kyth'emos

well since I have not played any multi player non-starwars game in over a year I would definetly buy the next starwars game, and raven is making EF2 wich I will definetly be picking up.
Kyth'emos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2002, 11:49 PM   #9
Xombie

It seems to me that you're a bit in denial that LucasArts fully controls wether or not the game gets patched. Raven is an independant developer and can't afford to patch games while not getting paid.
Your $50 does not cover their lost wages, sorry.
Xombie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 12:41 AM   #10
DrazMan

I feel your pain NewBJedi. If Lucas decides against patching this one then what stops them from not patching all of their games. If they decide "well we made our money on that one, we don't have to support it anymore" then I don't think I would support them anymore. Raven I would buy from because they did an awesome job on it. But it's Lucas' call whether to patch it or not. If they give up on this one I'll more than likely give up on them.
DrazMan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 12:46 AM   #11
Aiee

*shrug* I like the 1.03 patch. In my eyes, they improved the gameplay, as it suits me better to look fo ran opening when fighting opponents. I have received good support from Raven in general, and my general view of raven has improved if anything.

Wether or not I'll buy another Raven/LucasArts game depends on wether it's a good game, of course, but both companies seem to be able to pull good games out of their ass at will if they wanted to, so I'm sure they'll see plenty more of my money coming their way in the future.

By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. By the beans of Java do thoughts acquire speed, hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning; By caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion
Aiee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 12:57 AM   #12
Nathan Wind

do you think people buy lucas arts games for their reputation in the gaming community? would it matter what i did?

i will not buy from raven though...
Nathan Wind is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 12:59 AM   #13
DannyJAllTheWay
Banned

ick...
DannyJAllTheWay is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 02:00 AM   #14
Thrawn89

Christ some people do cry like babies when a game is changed a little.

Nothing wrong with the current patch in my eyes, but thats besides the point, (there will be another one sooner or later) the game is brilliant and I love it to bits, I have no problems with either Raven or LucasArts.

Yes I would buy another game from them, if JK2 is anything to go by if they make another Jedi Knight game I'll be parting with my cash rather quickly.

In the end though it depends on weather or not I like the genre of game, if it's crap don't buy it if it's cool as an eskimo's ass then give it a look.
Thrawn89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 02:11 AM   #15
NewBJedi

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyth'emos
well since I have not played any multi player non-starwars game in over a year I would definetly buy the next starwars game, and raven is making EF2 wich I will definetly be picking up.
Actually, Raven isn't making EF 2. Check Gamespot.
Old 05-17-2002, 02:12 AM   #16
NewBJedi

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn89
Christ some people do cry like babies when a game is changed a little.

Nothing wrong with the current patch in my eyes, but thats besides the point, (there will be another one sooner or later) the game is brilliant and I love it to bits, I have no problems with either Raven or LucasArts.

Yes I would buy another game from them, if JK2 is anything to go by if they make another Jedi Knight game I'll be parting with my cash rather quickly.

In the end though it depends on weather or not I like the genre of game, if it's crap don't buy it if it's cool as an eskimo's ass then give it a look.
Changed a LITTLE?

They nerfed all the decent dark forces and kick is totally screwed up ...

You must love the backstab, eh?
Old 05-17-2002, 08:50 AM   #17
Nill the Mean

Quote:
Originally posted by NewBJedi

Changed a LITTLE?

Now now, NewB... Don't start any accusations when you don't know if they are true or not.
The changes are not so much the problem, but it feels like a lot of the things they implemented in this patch were also rushed and thus they are bugged now. There was a demo avaliable displaying someone chopping through his opponent over and over again without doing more than the poking damage.
People wanted SP saber combat in MP, it doesn't work like that. The player has loads of health in comparison too the NPC's as far as I know. Usually one well placed hit takes down Reborn. Hell, I even killed Tavion with one hit once. It still took me a long time to land that hit, but when I did it had been worth it. Just like I said in a different thread (in respect to balancing) why did they increase the blocking AND reduce the damage. Just one of those would have been fine.
Nill the Mean is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 10:33 AM   #18
m64253

SW game have a tenency to be good so Yes I would buy a new game from LucasArts.
m64253 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 10:58 AM   #19
BlackDove
Resident Jackass

Mesa ganna bay da next jedi game dat kames out when Ep3 kames out...

There are only two constants in this world.
1. I kill you.
2. You cry for a lightsabre damage nerf.
BlackDove is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 01:52 PM   #20
Abom|nation

Yes, i'll probably be buying games from Raven and Lucasarts.. I don't mind the patch, personally - I prefer it more than 1.02.

Soldier of Fortune 2 looks set to be brilliant, and as different members of Raven have been working on it, it shouldn't have similarities to JK2 (Level design etc.)
Abom|nation is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 02:51 PM   #21
Spidey

This poll is so stupid. Let's face it. We will be the first ones to get the game if Raven makes an addon to Jedi Outcast.

So all these people that voted that they won't buy any more games are just lying to themselves.

They liked Jedi Outcast enough that they would go to forums and post about it. They are Star Wars fans. Period. Any Star Wars game Raven makes in the future is going to sell well with us.
Spidey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 03:53 PM   #22
Mobius47

I don't like JKII.
I like Resident Evil.
They cost $50.
Resident Evil is better.
I have $50.
Resident Evil and Star Wars are going to have sequels.
No way in hell I am going to get a poorly designed "clone wars" game instead of Resident Evil 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4.

I like ""s, lol!

mail me @ mobius47@hotmail.com
(anti-spam protection: subject must be fail-safe or message will be autodeleted)
Mobius47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 04:39 PM   #23
GooglyMoogly

Damn NewB..haven't you gotten over this yet?. Have you even played the new patch for more than a few hours since its been out?.

In my opinion they didn't ruin anything, sure they changed the game so much that I had to learn new strategies, but I like the new patch.

I find that I can actually *think* about what I want to do and execute it. Before i could just mash my buttons and produce a wonderful array of moves...now I need to time my keystrokes and look for openings on my opponent.

Oh..and kick is not nerfed now...I use it occasionally with no problem (even with a 200+ avg ping) and have still been the victim of kick-whores in 1.03.

If anything, I find that there are MORE lame moves just begging to be spammed in 1.03 vs. 1.02. Apparently some folks have worked out a trick to execute DFA while pretty much remaining in place (without having that long run from a mile away)...

In short after playing the new patch for a while people have adjusted and the game isn't that much different than 1.02...fights just last a little longer now.
GooglyMoogly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 04:54 PM   #24
Thrawn89

Quote:
Originally posted by NewBJedi

Changed a LITTLE?

The dark forces needed toning down, and I've not seen any major changes in them anyway, and it's not as if doing the kick is difficult or anything.

It's a fair move if it's pulled off, just like any of the others, what were you trying to say there?
Thrawn89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 05:19 PM   #25
Nathan Wind

he doesnt love backstab, he is just obviously ignorant.

googly, if you have to learn new things beceause "a game is changed so much," then it is a different game.

a patch that is realy a mod.

patches fix problems. yeah eax!
Nathan Wind is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 05:30 PM   #26
GooglyMoogly

Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Wind

googly, if you have to learn new things beceause "a game is changed so much," then it is a different game.

a patch that is realy a mod.

The big diff. here is that I didn't complain about it I adapted.

Raven didn't have to make the game at all, I'm glad they did cuz I love it. When I get tired of this game or no longer find it to my liking (due to a ptach or whatever reason), then I'll simply not play it.

I don't understand some of the posters in this forum who seem to feel a god-given right has been stripped from them. We do have choices you know. So NewB chooses to not like the patch ..all's well and good, but he doesn't need to post about it so often...hes' made his point (many times) now let it go.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:42 PM   #27
NewBJedi

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn89

The dark forces needed toning down, and I've not seen any major changes in them anyway, and it's not as if doing the kick is difficult or anything.

It's a fair move if it's pulled off, just like any of the others, what were you trying to say there?
Uh, spectate all the top score players - backstab, backstab, pull force, backstab, etc.

One move shouldn't dominate - or if it does, it should be highly avoidable, like Heavy Stance DFA - but backstab is much worse.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:36 PM   #28
GooglyMoogly

NewB..I sympathize with you...I really do. The problem is that no matter what Raven does there will always be some sort of "exploit" or "lame" move. The only way to avoid this is to have 1 weapon and 1 move so that everyone is on an even keel.

The real issue at hand is the people that exploit the problems with the game. The same moves that piss you off are available to everyone. I don't use them much at all because I agree with you that there are some probs with some moves. Over the course of several hours I may use some of those moves half a dozen times...which is reasonable I think. I never use DFA simply because I find heavy too slow for my liking. I rarely use heavy at all for that very same reason.

I think if you spent time on a server with good players that were more interested in having a good time and fighting well you might change your mind.

As far as purchasing future releases...if it's a game I want to play I don't care who puts it out...I'll buy it even if the track record of the company is not so stellar.

The bottom line here is that it is up to each of us as players to decide whether or not we enjoy playing a game or not. Sure I vent at other players form time to time if I think they are just ganking it and taking advantage of the games problems...but Im not gonna quit out of hand. I'd rather seek out servers/players that suit my ideal of how this game should be played.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:39 PM   #29
NewBJedi

Yah ...

But the problem seems to be is that the 1.03 backstab is far worse than the 1.02 heavy stance DFA.

I mean at least with heavy stance DFA the person took a major risk in being saber throwed or kicked.

With backstab people run around backwards and use it anywhere at anytime with little penalty.

Also, imagine in a game that running backwards were faster or better than running forward - wouldn't it look silly if everyone was doing that?

Backstab is simply retarded - and beyond the nerfs - make 1.03 one of the worse patches I've seen for a game - except for Tribes 2.

Last edited by NewBJedi; 05-17-2002 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:35 PM   #30
GooglyMoogly

Backstab is a problem and in some ways it is worse than 1.02 DFA...but I don't see everyone using it (a lot, but not all). I saw more DFA'ing last night than the backstab. In fact, some have figured out a twist on DFA that pretty much makes it like 1.02 again...they can spam it in such a way that you don't see it coming (they don't need the running start).
Old 05-17-2002, 08:46 PM   #31
NewBJedi

Yah ...

Just minor tweaks to bugs, cheats, and exploits is all we need.

The whole drastic gameplay changes thing is kinda bad - imo.

I hate to push for support, but this is one of the few games I've been truly addicted too.

I really love this game believe it or not.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:00 PM   #32
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

Me too NewB, me too... one of the problems in asking for change is that certain people immediately jump to the conclusion that you hate the game, Raven, Lucasarts and Lucas.

Well okay, Lucas himself is on my hit list, but I don't hate the rest. :P

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 09:03 PM   #33
Bl4de

I fail to see the logic in you not buying future products from a perfectly responsible and good company. That's like saying "I'm not buying any fruits from this store because my 1 apple was a tad spoiled". 1 game patch doesn't mean all of their games will suck, neither does if they don't patch it again. There is no logic in that. Plus if you don't like the patch just uninstall it, not like it's manditory. There are alot of people still playing 1.02.
Bl4de is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > How much does a reputation cost?