lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: I hate to bring this up again, but GunZ still oWn sabers. (I hope Raven reads this)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-23-2002, 03:33 AM   #41
Ten Tigers

Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Wind

I guess it can be said that i have an effectiveness rate of at least 95% when i use pull, so i guess you can see where im coming from.
That's kool, I can respect that. At least now you are talking to me rather than at me.

The theory of force powers as they apply to being a gunner are actually quite different than how they apply to saberists. But dont mistake that for some kind of "evolved gameplay" especially if that is whats bugging you. So perhaps I just wasnt explaining myself correctly. When I die as a gunner it is by the following things in the following order.

1) Other guns (includes detpacks etc...)

2) Passive force powers that send me falling to my death. On levels like Nar Shadda this usurps #1.

3) Agressive force powers (Grip/Lightning)

4) Lightsabers.

And it is very definative. So if Im whining/complaining/whathaveyou, it is that Lightsabers and legitimate use of force powers should be near the top of the list. Not the bottom. It's not that I am so good that I never get hit by lightsabers or agressive force powers. Its just that they usually dont deal enough damage to kill me before I kill my aggressor. And this is a fairly common trend for me.

The only reason I even brought force powers into the topic is because they are what really allows me to do this. If I were to hop on a Jedi vs. Merc server and I play as a gunner, I usually get my ass handed to me on a golden platter. The only reason I get to have a gun is if the Jedi decides to let me keep it. Without the Force Jump, I just dont have the speed to make it in and out of a saber's kill zones. There is nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. THATS how force powers got involved. The power of Jump alone speaks highly of this. Guns are NOTHING without Force Powers backing them. That's why I refered to both guns AND force powers in relation to sabers.

And Im not sure if you are aware of this, but Push/Pull DOES defend against having your weapon pulled. I just spent the last hour testing this on a closed server. I served a game and had another computer in this house join as a player. I walked around and picked up as many weapons as I could carry and then on the server I hunted this player down. Bear in mind BOTH the server and the player had Push/Pull maxed. When I used the server player, I could NOT disarm the unmanned player whatsoever. Not even once. I tried from every distance and from every conciveable angle and every combination inbetween. And in all of this I couldnt even pull a single weapon out of the hands of the drone player.

I love a good fight...

Last edited by Ten Tigers; 05-23-2002 at 03:50 AM.
Ten Tigers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2002, 03:47 AM   #42
Ten Tigers

Quote:
Originally posted by GooglyMoogly

My second point goes to Ten Toes or whatever his name is... Absorb is the bomb now. Why waste points on Push/Pull when absorb not only negates those, but everything else as well? Having push/pull at lvl 3 to counter other push pull is pointless. Save some points and go either push OR pull and dump some into absorb...you'll be surprised. Don't get me wrong Push/Pull have their place, but to max both for the purpose of negating others is foolish, unless of course you really just want to use it to push people off ledges or pull/backstab.
Yeah you better get sarcastic with my name cause that's about all you got. Absorb constantly eats force. Push/Pull do not. Even tho the force drain on absorb is relatively small, you CANNOT regenerate force while it is active. Now make 2 or three large jumps with absorb activated. Watch what happens to your force bar. Absorb is a nice power. I definately use it when Im sabering. But when it comes to gun running I prefer Push/Pull. It's more conservative, just as effective against Push/Pull, and can be used offensively. It may not cover lighning, grip, or drain, but this does not concern me. If it did I would use absorb.

So thank you Mr. JKII Guru, but your logic is s#it and so is your attitude. So stick with your gut instincts and keep your stupidity out of this thread.

Someone named GooglyMoogly trying to make fun of my name.

You really DONT think things through very well, if at all, do you?

I love a good fight...
Ten Tigers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2002, 11:43 AM   #43
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

Quote:
Yeah you better get sarcastic with my name cause that's about all you got.
Ignore Googly, he's violently insulting.

As for pull, there are many ways one can pull a person's gun, no matter how much force they've allotted to pull and push themselves. I'm sorry Ten, but it's just a fact that nobody resists pull when it's done *PROPERLY.* There is no debate about this point. Many people don't know how to use it properly, but that doesn't affect its innate effectiveness as a power.

But that's why nobody's complaining about pull, because IT TAKES PRACTICE and it takes TIMING. People (myself, an advanced player and tournament champion no less, included) are complaining that absorb is too powerful because it really does bias the game in favour of lightsiders. I am a lightsider, and even I recognise that the dark side has been made weaker in 1.03 with no adequate way to injure a lightsider AT ALL, when the lightsider can simply do whatever they want. Push, pull, whatever. The darksider has no defence.

Now, let me put it this way: two players of equal skill fight. They can both pull guns pretty well, and they both know how to use all the force powers pretty well. They both conserve ammo well. But here's the snag: One chooses the dark side, the other the light side.

The game won't take too long. The lightsider will pull the darksiders gun, he'll also pull him OVER, and he'll shoot him or sabre him while he's prone. Again and again. Now, using absorb does indeed deplete your mana stock, but EVEN MORE SLOWLY in 1.03. Very slowly. And it's invisible, meaning that people will tend to try to pull you a lot even if there's only a slim chance that you're not absorbant. That feeds your mana stock. No, Absorb is unquestionably the only defence many people will need, and it really doesn't take any skill to use, it's passive and self-sustaining in a FFA. People feed it all the time.

Having said all that, I completely agree that sabres have just been made LESS effective in 1.03. All that 1.03's done is made a lot of campers, by decreasing the ammo on all maps. Simple. Terrible.

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2002, 02:51 PM   #44
Etz

Ten Tigers, we (me, Spider_Al and hopefully few others) are discussing this on irc as well. If you'd like to join mail me: hannu_hurme@msn.com.

And if anyone else is interested, you're welcome
Etz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2002, 06:37 PM   #45
GooglyMoogly

LOL... what was so violently insulting about my post?

Just so you know...I really did forget what your name was...I wasn't trying to be funny...just too lazy to go back and look up your name while I was posting. I knew it was ten something..wasn't sure what though.

Anyhow..my intent was not to flame or insult anyone.

You're right...absorb does drain force, but it lasts much longer now than it did before...and unless the person you are fighting is spamming push/pull it doesn;t need to be on all the time. I frequently turn it off and on and rarely do I run out of force.

Geez...you're all a bit too sensitive.

Spider...I'm sure your comment was due to the post I made in your infamous thread. If you feel better judging my character based on a few small posts then go for it. In truth I am one of the more level-headed honest individuals you are likely to meet.

I believe in fair play and I don't feel that winning is the most important thing. I have opinions about this game just like you all do. I am free to express those opinions and disagree with yours as much as anyone.

I'm just tired of complaints about balance because even though I can do all the things that would give me a HUGE advantage in the game...I choose NOT to use them because I'd rather win a good fight than one that requires little thought or skill on my part.

Glad you all enjoy this game as much as I do, but please, before you get insulted at my posts take a few deep breaths and realize my point of view is as valid as yours.

Have a day!

Last edited by GooglyMoogly; 05-24-2002 at 06:51 PM.
GooglyMoogly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2002, 03:20 PM   #46
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

Quote:
LOL... what was so violently insulting about my post?
You implied that people who disagreed with you were "insane" or "on crack," among many other slights, in many other threads. You're always quite insulting and immature, IMO. QED.

Quote:
Spider...I'm sure your comment was due to the post I made in your infamous thread.
Actually it's due to the many posts you've made in many threads all of which do a good job demonstrating exactly how immature and unpleasant you are.

Quote:
In truth I am one of the more level-headed honest individuals you are likely to meet.
Modest too huh. If you're level-headed I'd hate to meet a really egotistical wacko.

Quote:
before you get insulted at my posts take a few deep breaths and realize my point of view is as valid as yours.
Before you post, take a few deep breaths and realise that the way to make people take your points seriously is not to throw a tantrum, which is what you always do.

Frankly with your attitude nobody will take you seriously.

"Have a day!" Pfeh.

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2002, 04:22 PM   #47
GooglyMoogly

Ok...just as in your prior thread...This will be my last post here.

Have I posted some insulting things? Perhaps, but you are wrong in saying that I do it all the time. The majority of my posts are simply my opinion about the game.

I may make a snide remark if I think someone is off their rocker, or if their post is immature and whiney, but who hasn't done that? (ahem...)

Anyway...I really don't care what you think of me. It's obvious you've made up your mind about my character...it's a shame you are so far off. Maybe you should search for my posts and read them all...sure you'll find an insult or two, but most of them are nothing more than adding to the discussion at hand.
GooglyMoogly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2002, 04:32 PM   #48
BlackDove
Resident Jackass

I would SO lock this thread if I was the moderator...

There are only two constants in this world.
1. I kill you.
2. You cry for a lightsabre damage nerf.
BlackDove is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > I hate to bring this up again, but GunZ still oWn sabers. (I hope Raven reads this)