lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: My faith has been restored (somewhat)...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-28-2002, 03:08 AM   #41
Charles

He did the right thing. his sever he can do what he wants. Sad thing is the pull/backstab people are the no skill newbs who flame people on here. Yes all the skill people has went to the no force sever. and when you flame nf severs you just upset cause you get owned there without your backstab crap. *hads you a tissue* go cry else where
Charles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 03:22 AM   #42
Vestril
The Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
He did the right thing. his sever he can do what he wants. Sad thing is the pull/backstab people are the no skill newbs who flame people on here. Yes all the skill people has went to the no force sever. and when you flame nf severs you just upset cause you get owned there without your backstab crap. *hads you a tissue* go cry else where
I'm sorry, were you addressing me personally? I've never done a backstab in this game at all... as for a pull/backstab, I only play on Force servers on very rare occasions, I generally play NF Servers, and I do pretty well for myself. Last time I checked I had a 70% Skill ration on the Darkside servers, which is decent. I don't spam moves, either. I'm just saying that kicking people because you don't like how they play the game is pretty crappy.

Vestril was here!!!!!!!!!
Vestril is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 03:26 AM   #43
HappyPrancer

As someone who regularly gets kicked out of games for move spamming (I spam about 10 different moves. If no one is clever enough to counter them, why stop? I have fun. Moves include gun spamming, force spamming, etc. I figure if one is spamming 10 different moves, is it still spamming? apparently so), and generally being a prick (if I'm winning, I gloat a lot and call people names, because it's really no fun to win if you don't get to do that. If I'm losing I hassle them for spamming something because everyone else get's to do it to me. Hell, why not, I'm guarunteed the right to free speach.) I feel I must contribute to this thread by saying that it really hurts to get kicked out of a game.

What I see here is a ideological conflict. In dispute is "fun". One person's idea of fun directly conflicts with another's and only one person may have fun as a result. This community has yet to find a clever way to resolve such a conflict.

One problem is that neither party is in the wrong. Both parties have paid equal ammounts for the game and should have equal access to PUBLIC servers to play within the rules that were integrated into the game. So, who get's to stay and who should go?

The only answer is that both parties are equally entitled to stay. To kick a player who hasn't violated a written rule on a server would be a selfish display of arrogance. If you cannot manage to have fun with this wonderful game, I recommend finding some other hobby. Perhaps knitting.

-HP

PS-stupid server rules can be very easy to misinterpret. I recommend using the rules that are INTEGRATED INTO THE ****ING GAME. That way, there is no confusion.
HappyPrancer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 03:27 AM   #44
Nathan Wind

sad thing is that pull/backstab was probably the most elite (and still arguably unbalanced) move in the game. now its uber.

im cryin cause the game is crappy. im glad your hads-ing out free tissues though
Nathan Wind is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 03:30 AM   #45
Nathan Wind

happy prancer, you are still my hero

Last edited by Nathan Wind; 05-28-2002 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:33 AM   #46
Vestril
The Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Wind
sad thing is that pull/backstab was probably the most elite (and still arguably unbalanced) move in the game. now its uber.

im cryin cause the game is crappy. im glad your hads-ing out free tissues though

I was gonna take one, but I wasn't sure where his hads had been...hads had been...lol (Sorry Chuck, little mistakes'll get ya every time )

Old 05-28-2002, 04:13 AM   #47
Talon_of_BHG

how bout this: You buy a kick ass car with a monster of an engine. After a while you discover the various quirks with the engine that need to be fixed. You take the car in to where you bought it and they say "no problem, come back tomorrow." After getting your car back, you realize to fix the problem they took that monster engine and took out some stuff and reduced the horsepower by half. You really gonna bend over and say "thank you sir, may I have some more?"

It was never the moves themselves that were the problem all by themselves. It was the ppl that abused them. I never had a problem killing ppl who dfa'd or backstabbed or anything else because there were strategies to counter all of these. Yes there were some things that needed to be addressed but they went a little too far with it I think. tweaking a little would have been good but totally changing the pace of the game might not have been such a good idea.

I like what they did with the way saber duels are, but the damage needs upping a little bit. I mean really, the sabers now have the damage properties of butter knives now. This makes the game a little too fogiving of mistakes i think. I have made mistakes that should have cost me the match and all i got was a scratch. Same with ppl I have faced off against. Anyway thats one thing off the top of my head. I think a happy medium between 1.02 and 1.03 (the best things from each) and some bug fixes would be ideal. Lets give Raven a chance to prove themselves here I mean we are all entitled to mistakes and not everything from 1.03 patch was a mistake anyway.
Talon_of_BHG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 05:36 AM   #48
GooglyMoogly

The people that paid for this game deserve to have an opinion.

It's obvious that there will be conflicts with various game play ideaologies as well as different interpretations about the games rules.

All I try to do is provide and foster a particular style of play that I myself and plenty of other players enjoy.

I have no problem with any of the moves in the game as long as they aren't done over and over and over again. You may not think this is particularly negative, but I do. I myself use some of these moves, but I only use them to augment my OTHER skills (yes there are other good moves besides the specials.)

Anyway...I really shouldn't need to justify anything to anyone, but I'm gonna do it this one time. I was just shocked at the visceral response my post invoked.

You paid 50 bucks for the game and so did I...there's one difference though...I also lay out 80 bucks a month to rent the server...so forgive me if I want to get the most bang for the buck when I play the game. The whole reason I got the server was so I'd always be guaranteed a place to play.

I'm not going to bother explaining in any more detail my reasons for running my server the way I do. I don't need to, I shouldn't have to and I don't want to. I'm happy with it and so are MANY people that compliment the server and the way it is run.
GooglyMoogly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 05:56 AM   #49
Vestril
The Man

Good for you

No, really I mean that

I was just expressing my opinion that I think it's uncool to kick someone just because their style of play conflicts with yours. No need to justify yourself to me--you've made your choice

I don't even know how differently I would behave if I were in your shoes...I just happen to see that behavior as wrong, and I think it fosters a poor kind of server...

Oh, keep in mind that people would have a hard time complaining if they got kicked

Also, I would say that you do have a moral obligation to explain yourself to people as to why you run the server you do. Running the server is a form of power, and justifying yourself is a way of ensuring that your actions are right. It's something I would do if I was in the position of power, just because you pay for it doesn't take away from the responsability it leaves you with, and it doesn't take away the possibilty that your actions could be amoral. I don't mean to say you have to do anything, I mean to debate to morality of your actions.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't get into this particular argument here, if you're interested in continuing the debate, I'd be happy to via PM's

Otherwise, I hope you enjoy your server I also hope you run it well.

Old 05-28-2002, 06:02 AM   #50
Demangel

WOw...

Googly ignore these idiots. the ones who flamed you for doing what is well within your natural admin given rights, are simply fools.

i am sickened by the response this thread has gooten poor googly. How F'ing dare you critiscize him for having a good time on his OWN server? you get all bent out of shape when we criticize you for spamming, then say it's your playing style, and thus it's ok. so STFU... hypocrits.

I've played with googly, and he is a fun person to play with. i knew exactly what he meant by the rules of his server.

to everyone else, if you join a server that says play fair and don't spam or somethig to that effect and you spam, and generally act disruptive, don't bitch about it in the morning.

jesus christ... googly I can't say much more than this on your behalf... honestly I am astounded by the parade of idiocy that befell your innocent thread.

I am begginging to wonder if the only people posting on this forum are trolls these days...

My suggestion? Delete this thread... when your thread gets hijacked like this it's like an infection in your arm... sometimes you gotta lose the arm to save the body...

Personaly I am going to be looking for your server to play on again soon... I miss playing with cool peeps... your welcome on my server anytime you wish as well

-Demangel

We all have to die, the only question is... Do you want it on your feet? or on your knees...
Demangel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 06:06 AM   #51
GooglyMoogly

I ask them nicely to stop first. My reasoning is that it ruins gameplay for many people. Trust me on this one...If I don't moderate it somewhat lots of players leave out of frustration and I end up with a server full of people spamming moves and in general not really playing the game but rather just ganking away.

A lot of players that get kicked (after warnings) usually come back and bitch. If they want I discuss it with them. Sometimes they stay and play, sometimes they don't.

Anyway Vestril, my posts really aren't directed at you...it's mostly for the foul-mouthed and spiteful folks that made some rather viscious and nasty remarks.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:49 AM   #52
Charles

lol well i am sad that my pull/jump combo is gone. but i guess that was consider cheap too. i mean it is so hard to do it now. but the newbs are going to the nf severs too. running around like that got the saber up there ass. hell this one dude walks up to you and do it just like that. dont try and go near it cause it still hurts
Charles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 07:59 AM   #53
Vestril
The Man

Ok Googly, I don't mean to say that you can't do what you want...I just want to challenge you, make sure you think you're doing the right thing. It's just in my nature. I don't remember if I said or not, but if I had my own server, I would probably wind up running it the way you run yours...

Dem...I wouldn't say that very many people who responded to Googly were simply fools Angry, probably annoyed with getting kicked off of servers just for playing as they want, but not simply fools.

Quote:
you get all bent out of shape when we criticize you for spamming, then say it's your playing style, and thus it's ok. so STFU... hypocrits.
I don't think a player has the same power that an administrator has. An admin has control over other people's game, another player does not. Therefore I consider an admin to have more of an obligation to his players.

I was, admitedly, oversimplifying. As I said, I don't like spammers, and I'm not one myself, I think they do degrade gameplay. I just don't want him to degenerate into one of those people that kicks anyone who doesn't play exactly the way he likes. I know he isn't curently, but...well anyway, asking me to STFU is like asking the tide to not come in, you can ask all you want but it isn't gonna happen

Seriously, you guys could ban me and I'd still be sitting her talking to me self about it, mumbling about what pricks you are...I spam in real life too

Anyway, I'm glad you're running a good server, I just hope it stays that way

Old 05-28-2002, 08:17 AM   #54
GooglyMoogly

Demangel..thanks for the backup. I was pretty shocked and disgusted myself. Hope to see you around soon.

Vestril...again.I'm not offended by you at all. I'd bet you'd have a great time playing on the server.

Perhaps I gave the impression that I have one finger on the kick trigger...well...I don't. As far as I'm concerned it's mob rules..if everyone is playing and having a good time, but someone comes in and blatantly disobeys the rules...I have an obligation to the majority to remedy the situation. So you see...I run my server in a way you would probably agree with.

My biggest mistake is being naive in thinking that people would appreciate the fact that despite the games flaws, there are ways to have a good time. I've always felt the best way to deal with perceived exploits or cheapness is simply to not indulge them.

The crux of the issue is that I simply cannot fathom how doing the same thing over and over, or jumping into crowds of half dead people and repeatedly doing backsweep or stab can be a satisfying way to play. For the players that enjoy that...more power to 'em, all I ask is that you take it somewhere else. It's not like there aren't a multitude of servers out there that cater to this style of play or simply aren't moderated.

People don't like being told "my way or the highway", and I do my best not to abuse that philosophy, but sometimes it's a means to an end that benefits more people than it hurts.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:18 AM   #55
BlackDove
Resident Jackass

*thread turns into a push/pull/backstab thread*

*=SSC=Kal-El takes the opportunity to point out this thread nr. 345892734058923745238405723485723045723945*

There are only two constants in this world.
1. I kill you.
2. You cry for a lightsabre damage nerf.
BlackDove is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 10:33 AM   #56
Nathan Wind

now i have a problem with the word "spam"

its too ambigious.

if you have rules against certin things, then fine.

but a "dont play uncool" rule just doesnt cut it. who is to say how many uses of backstab constitute spam? how many dfa? how many uses of lightning?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:46 AM   #57
BlackDove
Resident Jackass

Best thing is to bind the "say" word "nfnkntnb"....= no force, no kick, no throw, no backstab

There are only two constants in this world.
1. I kill you.
2. You cry for a lightsabre damage nerf.
BlackDove is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 10:53 AM   #58
HertogJan

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedantic
Hmmm...dictatorship...if it works...
hehehe lol! Yeah if it works to kick people, why don't? I don't mind to get kicked from a server where everyone plays dirty, so they should mind getting kicked of a server were you ave to play nicely...
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 12:51 PM   #59
C'jais
Spicy Viking Boy

Googly has already expressed my opinion on this matter.

Lets take this scenario for example:

You are playing football (soccer for you yanks) with a bunch of strangers. Everyone is playing fairly and having a good time, but suddenly a new player comes along. This player plays the way he wants to, but within the "rules". He pushes people, does sliding tackles in a violent fashion and generally abuses the rules as much as possible. On top of that he yells profanity at his opponents when they lose and curses them when they score.

As fair player, you can do 2 things about such a guy:

1) Adopt his playstyle because it evens things out, or

2) Take the opposite stance towards that players, abolish such play and advise him to play "properly". That includes leaving him out of future games because no one wants to play with him.

For a moment, let's be real folks, in real life what would you do against such a "team player"?

For the people who say: "Nuuu-huh, i play on the net so i can do whatever i want without fear of vengeance (gettin' beat up in real life for such a behaviour), well you people need to grow up, get some balls and participate in society the proper way.

You can play games (computer or not) in many ways, but it's for certain that one of the ways doesn't get you invited to cool parties.
You're playing with other people here folks, be nice, be fair and do what you'd do in real life.
C'jais is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 01:30 PM   #60
Cal-Gon Gin

Dude, thats not a fair comparison. The rules would send that fellow off for playing dangerously. A better analogy would be if a person joins in and only bicycle kicks. Its easy enough to get around this--keep the ball on the ground. Same with DFA/backstabbers--MOVE OUT OF THE WAY AND ATTACK FROM A DIFFERENT AREA WHEN THEY ARE OPEN (as they always are). Absorb the pulls fer crying out loud!

What annoys me about the game is this INCESSANT B!TCHING. Games will always have exploits, and folks who will use them, and folks who will abuse them. Get the skills to deal with the abusers, and learn to use the exploits appropriately. The THING is, the backstab is not an exploit--the lack of blocking is an error. So, until it is fixed (if it is fixed) STEP OUT OF THE WAY. And if folks spamming single moves REALLY p1sses you off this much, form a clan, set up a private server, and remove yourself from the public servers.

As for NF servers, there may be highly skilled players there, but this is Star Wars, not sword fighting. I want the force.

*leaves the jediknightii.net forums annoyed yet again*

Take me away!!!
Cal-Gon Gin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 04:23 PM   #61
Vestril
The Man

Ummm...Star Wars is swordfighting. How many times do you see Darth Vader pull Luke around like a rag doll? The Force is there, but it takes a back seat when the Lightsabers are out. So...technically NF Servers are all about Star Wars too.

Also, it is, I'm told, really hard to get out of the way of the exploit backstab is someone pulled you to their feet a second before. Food for thought

Old 05-28-2002, 04:26 PM   #62
Dark Begger

oh my goodness!

I am no longer Bantha Fodder!!!! how come no one congratulates me? lol...I am now a pit droid...what a damn good promotion.

Anyways, to try and make this post with a point...

actually..I was reading this and said what I say so many times over taht I don't want to say it again...so..there is no point to this.
Dark Begger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 05:14 PM   #63
Cal-Gon Gin

Quote:
Originally posted by Vestril
Ummm...Star Wars is swordfighting. How many times do you see Darth Vader pull Luke around like a rag doll? The Force is there, but it takes a back seat when the Lightsabers are out. So...technically NF Servers are all about Star Wars too.
Yea, but there is a lot of force tossings of stuff going on.

Quote:
Also, it is, I'm told, really hard to get out of the way of the exploit backstab is someone pulled you to their feet a second before. Food for thought
I wouldn't know as I usually put on my level 2 or 3 absorb before wandering into the middle of a melee :P

Point taken however

Take me away!!!
Cal-Gon Gin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2002, 07:08 PM   #64
Vestril
The Man

Quote:
Yea, but there is a lot of force tossings of stuff going on.
Yeah, but they have to stop to do it.

Quote:
I wouldn't know as I usually put on my level 2 or 3 absorb before wandering into the middle of a melee :P

Point taken however
You must be one of the lucky ones who's Force pool never runs out

Your point is also taken though

Old 05-28-2002, 07:26 PM   #65
HappyPrancer

Fascist Dictator: This is my country and I'll run it how I want.

Me: wouldn't it be better to allow people freedom to make descisions for themselves?

Fascist Dictator: I don't see how that could be a good idea. Your descisions couldn't possibly be as clever as mine.

Me: Well, I just think that a country where the people are allowed to...

{server disconnected}

-HP
HappyPrancer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2002, 03:58 AM   #66
Count Beefstew

Lightbulb

Actually this game server is what the movie "Footloose" is based on.
Count Beefstew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > My faith has been restored (somewhat)...