lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: "SABER OFF = PEACE!!!"
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-20-2002, 06:06 AM   #1
Masonis

Location: Owning the backstab h0's with a well-placed saber throw
"SABER OFF = PEACE!!!"

I'm used to seeing this line coming from people who are waiting to duel on FFA servers. But lately I've noticed more and more people using force powers to attack people or throw them off ledges, and even turning their saber off in the midst of a fight and running while punching their "S4B3R 0FF = P34C3!!" hotkeys.

What's really laughable is that after killing them I'm often the recipient of ">WTF u r ghey my saber was down you ****ing **** lamer", and sometimes they'll spend minutes at a time flaming away.

It's always been my opinion that someone loses the "peace" privilege when they use force powers to attack someone, and that turning saber off in the midst of a fight and expecting a clean getaway is ridiculous.

Generally speaking: I don't attack people who are just standing there with saber down doing nothing, or waiting for duels, or typing. I do kill people who stand around drop-offs waiting to push or grip people off as they run past(ie, near the ysalamir on ffa_deathstar); I do kill people who run into a crowd with saber off to get off a backsweep and then turn it off again; I do kill people who try to push people into garbage crushers and similar traps; and not only do I throw a saber into the undefended ass of someone who suddenly kills his saber in a fight and spams "S4B3R 0FF = P34C3!!" while running away, but I'm gonna laugh like crazy while doing so too.

So, am I just being a jackass here, or does anyone agree?
Masonis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 06:19 AM   #2
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
I agree with you.

But, do you think this guy is a Backstab whore?(for some reason I am Whore-calling alot this morning)

I was playing the duel of the fates map.I was stuck at the first generator shield.I looked to the pit,and a guy came,went behind me,showed my ass his ass,and then backstabed me.I said he was a whore.I then went near the pit later,and he went behind me and I backstab him and he said it was just as bad as his.Both times I stood still.Was he a whore?

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 06:20 AM   #3
Master Burner

i agree on that... the only time i turn of my saber is to hide to get some more force back so i can going aroung jumping but even then i'm aware of where the other/s in the duel are so i can protect my self if they come... ppl shouldn't expect peace in such a fight... do what you can and if you don't... then you'll die

:: how jedi are you? ::]
Known as Master Duchai online JK2: JO
Master Burner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 07:30 AM   #4
Homosexual Ewok

I won't attack a person if they bow, I don't mess with people waiting for their turn or just watching a duel, or are in a corner "afk", but putting your saber down in the middle of a fight is pretty damn stupid, and if you get killed you deserved it.

/edit that was not a flame at the above reply, Burner made a good point about having to be aware of the other players.

Putting your saber down and running away for health pretty much puts a "bounty" on your head as far as I am concerned. When players do this to me, I pretty much go after them exclusively for the rest of the game.

As far as attacking players with their sabers down who are on their way to the "duel part" of the FFA map, it all depends on their behavior. If they have never attacked a player on their way there, I leave them alone. If I see them fighting throughout the entire map, they are fair game, saber or no saber.

The "chat icon shield" can be pretty annoying too. I see players all the time stop in the middle of their opponents swing and start typing "hp?” They get hit, die and then flame away "type killer!”

You want to type, go to spec mode or find an isolated room/corner that is not directly in the path of other players.

Last edited by Homosexual Ewok; 06-20-2002 at 03:07 PM.
Homosexual Ewok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 08:45 AM   #5
SeraphimII

Location: L33t Fruit Stalker...I mean Stocker...No Really I do.
Hehe Thats nothing...

After wiping the floor with this guy and his padawn(about 3 7-1 duel games), I'm fighting the master and he basicly getting his ass beat. Anyway when he has just 2 hps he turns his saber off and says to kill him. After I think about it for a minute I fly at him w/ a heavy lunge. Somewhere between me flying at him and him turning around he pulls off a backstab. Choping my 100/25 ass down to the floor. Then in rage I come back and slice his ass when kneeling. Ok, not the most mature thin to do, but he promised me a free kill and I made him deliver... Also choped his padawan up.

(Looks innocent)What?

Best sig EVAR!
SeraphimII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 08:49 AM   #6
Master Burner

well you are stupid if you aren't aware of where you enemies are... its just that when you turn of the saber when you run for force/health that either they spots you and charges you or you are lucky enough that they won't see you and then you are so mucher harder to spot.... after i usually have got about half filled up in force i normally charge in again hoping to take them off surprise... don't work very often but hey if it works then it works there is nothing so irrating as if you are using the medium style and tries use the forward+attack+jump and you haven't got enough force to jump high enough...

:: how jedi are you? ::]
Known as Master Duchai online JK2: JO
Master Burner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 08:50 AM   #7
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimII
Hehe Thats nothing...

After wiping the floor with this guy and his padawn(about 3 7-1 duel games), I'm fighting the master and he basicly getting his ass beat. Anyway when he has just 2 hps he turns his saber off and says to kill him. After I think about it for a minute I fly at him w/ a heavy lunge. Somewhere between me flying at him and him turning around he pulls off a backstab. Choping my 100/25 ass down to the floor. Then in rage I come back and slice his ass when kneeling. Ok, not the most mature thin to do, but he promised me a free kill and I made him deliver... Also choped his padawan up.

(Looks innocent)What?

Murderer....you are a whore,and evil ghey whore!!!

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 10:09 AM   #8
CapNColostomy
Custom User Title

Vader said it best when Luke turned off his saber. "You are unwise to lower your defenses!" Then he took a heavy swipe at lukes ass.

If saber off equals peace, what's all the fighting about? People who want peace should play Sim City. Not a game with the word "WARS" in the title.

If saber off equals peace, then does that mean on a guns allowed server anybody not holding down the fire button on their imperial blaster wants peace?

CapNColostomy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 10:14 AM   #9
SeraphimII

Location: L33t Fruit Stalker...I mean Stocker...No Really I do.
A ghey, evil nickle whore...

Best sig EVAR!
SeraphimII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 10:23 AM   #10
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

I only honor the saber off=peace rule on sabre only servers. With guns, its sometimes difficult to tell if thats a disabled sabre or a detonator. I've been wrong before, so down they go.

ShockV1.89
ShockV1.89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 02:52 PM   #11
Fossil25

there are some who really mean peace and others who just do it for tricking others or whatever...so can't really be helped...
sometimes i get irritated too and start scolding them but they'd just say i was bluffing...
these are only saber only servers...

what to do?
nothing...
Fossil25 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 05:06 PM   #12
striderx2048

i turn the saber off to run and hide,
reduces sound and glow
striderx2048 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 06:01 PM   #13
GreyAngel

That's right, turning the sabre off makes you a bit more stealth. When playing CTF at "Warring Factions" helps to get to enemy flag using upper ways.

2 Masonis - If I where you, I'd do the same.

2 CapNColostomy - right, but if people have a duel match on a FFA server, then the "sabre off" rule should be respected, don't you think?

Basically, turning sabre off as a "saving throw" is cheap, it's like sweeping the chessfigures off the board when losing a game of chess.
GreyAngel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 10:59 PM   #14
Cal-Gon Gin

I trust no one I don't know. Then again, I don't get bent out of shape about some lame assed tactic either since its ONLY A GAME.

Take me away!!!
Cal-Gon Gin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2002, 11:17 PM   #15
Isildur29

<shrug>

you wanna type and not get killed?
type while you're dead or roll the dice and hope you found a good enough place to hide, there's no "base" here.

FFA = no quarter

saber up, down, whatever - if you're upright, you're fair game.

retarded conventions like this are...well, retarded.

I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker, and I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat and snicker and, in short, I was afraid.
Isildur29 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 12:19 AM   #16
D.L.

I agree.

I was standing still. I typed "having some lag. Saber is off. don't attack me"

I was attacked straight away.

Star Wars, General Chat and Games. Join if you want!
http://lounge.proboards5.com

The NJO Mod Website
D.L. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 10:50 AM   #17
Masonis

Location: Owning the backstab h0's with a well-placed saber throw
Thumbs up

Well, all your responses pretty much confirmed my thoughts that such behavior was more of an exception than the rule.

Maybe those that practice it should change their macro to say "Hold on a sec, I'm gonna run upstairs and grab a bacta can real quick, OK? Remember, S4B3R 0FF = P34C3!!"

At least, it'd give everyone something to laugh about when you chop their ass down.
Masonis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 11:11 AM   #18
defalc

Well, I was in a server where a guy did the 'sabreoff peace blah blah', and said not to attack, then he tried to grip me and throw me off the catwalk...
Absorb+sidekick over the catwalk!

Although I agree, it gets really annoying sometimes. If they attack me with their sabre down, I throw my sabre at em or hit 'em with the medium finisher of blue lunge.

Jedi Frycook
defalc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 12:08 PM   #19
XERXES
werd

PEOPLE KILL ME WHEN MY SABER IS DOWN, SO NOW I DONT CARE AND KILL EVERYBODY...

like woah
XERXES is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 12:13 PM   #20
Twins of Doom
Webmaster

my personal rule is: if they attack me in any way with their saber off or even LOOK as if they'll attack me i'll attack back:P if they walk forward i'll stop typing, and attack

Wizard's First Rule: People Are Stupid

Twins of Doom
-Webmaster-
twinsofdoom@ogresnet.com
Kingdoms of Azeroth
Twins of Doom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 12:34 PM   #21
BAH_Insane

yeah really

this has happened to me many times.. someone will turn there saber off and say wait.. ohh here they come walking towards me with there SABER OFF then turn around and backstab me like a ass then theres this guy that turns his saber off so i stop then he grips me off the platform as fast as he could... then theres this FFA Game... where this guy turns his saber off in the middle of a 8 people saber ffa expecting no sabers to hit him.. then he floods saber off = peace.. i mean wtf if ur gonna turn ur saber off like a little baby and expect not to get hit then go somewhere away from the fights
BAH_Insane is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 01:48 PM   #22
CapNColostomy
Custom User Title

"If saber off equals peace, what's all the fighting about? People who want peace should play Sim City. Not a game with the word "WARS" in the title."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 06-21-2002, 02:43 PM   #23
Faye Ying

my saber is off all the time anyways
i only ignite it to fight and defend
once the actions over andi deem its safe, off it goes.

1) no glow
2) no humming
3) no fizzing noise when it goes against walls

only thing that appears to be "peace" to me is if they hit the "-" key and got no weapon out and/or they're looking at their feet.
Faye Ying is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 05:56 PM   #24
CapNColostomy
Custom User Title

If saber off equals peace, then I'm the Yassir Arafat of JKII.

Old 06-21-2002, 06:14 PM   #25
Elegy

I'm a duelist. Even on the damned FFAs most of my kills are racked up from duels. So yeah, I'm an avid follower of the sabers down = peace. Don't get me wrong, if I join a server that doesn't say to follow the sabers down rule, then I expect no quarter to be given. It's always been my philosophy that you follow the server's rules. There's a server out there for every kind of game. People connect to each unique server to play the kind of game they want to. This makes things more enjoyable for everybody. If the server doesn't specify sabers down, then cauterize and anally rape every single player out there to your heart's content regardless of their saber status. But if the server says sabers down, you better damned well follow it.

Just tonight I had fun dealing with two seperate guys on the nice people only server. A few of us were messing around in the Death Star map by those buttons for the garbage masher and superlaser. We had two guys that would just come barelling at all the players with sabers down, and they charged me. I didn't even have to tell the other guys what to do. I gripped the bastard, dragged him to the laser spot, and one of the other guys promptly hit the button. They didn't learn either. They came right back to us and tried it again, and I made it my personal mission to dedicate the whole game to cheaply gripping the fags and sticking em' in the masher or laser. It's so fun screwing with the simple-minded.

Not that I normally chill by all the level traps with sabers down to score some free kills on the unawares. I've just been known from time to time to be the personal satan of people who disregard the rules on that server. I agree though, I can't stand the people who abuse the sabers down rule expecting to ditch in the middle of a fight to power back up, or to trick people into kills. They definately lose their sabers down rights. That rule was originally intended for the masses of people you'll sometimes get waiting for the duels. The abusers are just as bad as the ones who don't follow the rule in the first place.

Heavens Mutant Child
Hear...
My...
...¤Requiem¤
Elegy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 10:09 PM   #26
XERXES
werd

like i said BECAUSE I GET ATTACKED ALL THE TIME WITH MINE DOWN, I DONT CARE ANYMORE AD ATTACK EVERYBODY

like woah
XERXES is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 10:25 PM   #27
BlackDeath-CFH

games i play with my freind we keep our sabers off until were ready to fight, turning your saber off in the middle of the battle is fine... to maybe type something but not to run off and heal, but if hes already swung at you and about to slice you in half.. **** happens eh?

b4c0n pwnz j00
BlackDeath-CFH is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2002, 11:44 PM   #28
Isildur29

Quote:
Originally posted by Elegy
Don't get me wrong, if I join a server that doesn't say to follow the sabers down rule, then I expect no quarter to be given. It's always been my philosophy that you follow the server's rules. There's a server out there for every kind of game. People connect to each unique server to play the kind of game they want to. This makes things more enjoyable for everybody. If the server doesn't specify sabers down, then cauterize and anally rape every single player out there to your heart's content regardless of their saber status. But if the server says sabers down, you better damned well follow it.
Good point - server rules should certainly take precedence.

I always have my saber down unless in use as well. Quieter, stealthier and heck, it just looks cool to ignite it.

I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker, and I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat and snicker and, in short, I was afraid.
Isildur29 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 01:52 AM   #29
Yoda_623
GoodFella

Same way with me Isildur.
Yoda_623 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 02:18 AM   #30
*Darth Vega*

"You are unwise to lower your defenses"

That is what I say to anyone who calls me on killing them after they put their saber down. It even says in my name Darth, indicating that I am a Sith. Would a Sith Lord sit back when somebody lowers their saber? Look what happened to Obi Wan!

When somebody bows and I am close enough I will take a swipe at them if I think it will be to my advantage. If you lower your saber I'm gonna kill you, I don't care if you're talking. For all I know you just pressed enter to so you would appear to be talking while your mana charges up.

I don't whine about it when it happens to me either, don't whine about anything you wouldnt do yourself. I fully expect people to kill me when I'm vulnerable, especially if they are dark side users.

If somebody bows out of feasable range I will usually respond with a taunt (I use the darth vader model so his taunt). When asked why I don't bow I usually reply with "Sith don't bow"

And also I play by my rules. If I join a server and they tell me not to do the above I'm going to do it until I am kicked. But I won't lie to server admin, I'd tell him straight up "You're gonna have to kick me cause this is how I play"
*Darth Vega* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 02:18 AM   #31
Chewie Bakker

Saber down for me either = stealth (it's hard to hide in those dark corners when you're holding an oversized rave stick), or - thanks to 1.03 - when combined with chat that I'm "away"

Hitting "1" then "Y" or "T" is pretty quick to do.

Then again, I rarely play online. 56k modem.

Quote:
XERXES' signature
Fear is the mindkiller
Heh heh heh. Dune. Billa Kaifa.

Let go, Luke.

"Chewie" Bakker
Chewie Bakker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 02:45 AM   #32
Fossil25

ok...
but what about when they try to kill you when you wanna initiate a duel?
it's like going to a guy...pressing K....he looks at u...u look at him...u switch off ur saber (ok maybe it's wiser to keep it on), and u enter console to message him with something like "duel?" and he grips you and throws u down. U quickly press enter and send a message like "due" and try to use a counter and bye bye...

well, that's life i guess
Fossil25 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 03:22 AM   #33
DarthCobra

If you want peace play another game. SABER OFF = EASY TARGET!!! There is a certian amount of discretion involved here. But to call someone "lamer" "n00b" "*******" and all the other wonderful names called because you were to stupid to see it comming is just "lame". Quit your freakin whining and play already.
DarthCobra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 04:07 AM   #34
*Darth Vega*

And in FFA why should you care if you die anyways? Not like it counts against you.
*Darth Vega* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 05:12 AM   #35
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

Quote:
And also I play by my rules. If I join a server and they tell me not to do the above I'm going to do it until I am kicked. But I won't lie to server admin, I'd tell him straight up "You're gonna have to kick me cause this is how I play"
I dont think you quite understand. Playing on any of these servers is not a right, it's a privilege. Sure, they're public, but that only extends so far. The owners of these servers have plunked down their hard earned cash to build and host (or rent, in some cases) these servers, and in return, they may or may not expect certain rules to be observed. Perhaps they created the server for the very purpose of playing by those rules? (KnightHawks, for one...)

Saying "Well this is how I play" is just fine. But you can play elsewhere without being kicked, there's no need to stay and piss everyone off. They came into those servers to avoid people who dont play a certain way, and although you may not agree with that, you dont need to barge in and disrupt things.

I dont think Sith Warriors idea of being evil and power hungry was to break video game server rules. They seemed above that sort of thing.

ShockV1.89
ShockV1.89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 10:01 AM   #36
Elegy

Quote:
Originally posted by *Darth Vega*
And in FFA why should you care if you die anyways? Not like it counts against you.
It's the fact that I'm probably trying to duel someone. It get annoying when you run up to a guy, hit K, and just as he's preparing to accept your challenge some other dickwad comes running behind you and takes you down. By the time you respawn and go back to the guy, another pair of *******s have already initiated a duel of their own. I think it's more fun to duel in FFAs rather than the duel servers, though I frequent both about just the same. With the FFA duels you usually get a small crowd gathered around and it just seems more underground and fight clubbish.

I completely agree with some of the reasoning you anti-sabers down people have. A person shouldn't expect to be spared in the middle of a fight by shutting their saber off to run and health up. If anyone runs from me in a fight like that I chase their ass down. Doesn't matter what my HP is at, I finish a damn fight. If you can roll towards a powerup and health up in time then great. But once you initiate battle expect to be hunted down mercilessly. Sabers down isn't there for you to avoid getting killed at all costs. It was established so that you could duel unhindered in the damn FFAs. I wish someone would release something that allows more than one duel to be iniated at a time.

Heavens Mutant Child
Hear...
My...
...¤Requiem¤
Elegy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 01:56 PM   #37
Chewie Bakker

"You are unwise to lower your defenses"

Getting killed while waiting for a duel would be pretty $hitful, but perhaps it would be worthwhile taking a quick look at where the other duel is so you can initiate the duel as soon as they're done.

I'd keep your sabers up, so if some 14M3® tries to fight you, then you and your would-be duel opponent can double-team kick their st00pid @$$. That should stop them from attacking peeps "in line" for duels again.

The Force will be with you, always.

"Chewie" Bakker
Old 06-22-2002, 03:22 PM   #38
magis70

hmm

I play as a sith also,but i will defenitly respect the server rules,..to a point.If the server says saber off=peace,ill follow it to the letter,as for duals,if someone bows to me,saber down or not,i WILL strike them down,vader said it best,you are unwise to lure your defenses.And i will also grip/push anyone off a ledge any chance i get on a ffa server,if their too stupid to use absorb,then they deserve it...
magis70 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 03:30 PM   #39
SaberPro
00 Agent

I say saber off = peace is really common sense...

Why else would you want to kill an unarmed player except to get 1 extra cheap kill?

Think about it...why is the player's saber off? Maybe typing? Maybe he's afk for a bit? Maybe he just want to watch the duel?

Why kill innocent man! (even if you are a Sith...I don't see Darth Maul go to Tattoine in Episode I and kill off random people)

SaberPro
Alliance of the Jedi (AOJ)
ZoneFriend = AOJ_SaberPro

"The Force is with you young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!" - Darth Vader
SaberPro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2002, 03:44 PM   #40
Chewie Bakker

Mr Miyagi says:

"Always look eye, Daniel San."

If you have you're saber off in FFA you're pretty much asking for a saber up the butt, but I'll agree there are exceptions. Any duelers with ½ a brain would team up on any attackers while waiting for a duel.

I'd suggest (on 1.03) that you open the chat window so you've got the little keyboard thing showing, and typing "back" in or something, then as soon as you're back you can press enter, fire up your saber, and away you go.

SaberPro has a point, though. Who'd want a cheap kill? "Wow! See the fight that guy put up? I own0rz3d him!" Must be some form of over-compensation or something...

The Force will be with you, always.

"Chewie" Bakker
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > "SABER OFF = PEACE!!!"