lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: JK2radient or GTKradient
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-26-2002, 06:32 AM   #1
Derisor

JK2radient or GTKradient

Ive heard that GTKradient is easier to use and more mature. So which one do you all use. Is it even possible to use GTKradient ?

Derisor

Current Project:
The sewers of bespin. A single player level taking place one year after the events in Jedi Knight II outcast. A preview of parts of the WIP level is available here.
Derisor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 06:46 AM   #2
Xcom
k_ai_master

If you are a beginner, it won't make much difference to you (if we speak about functionality). However, at more advanced level, GTK is a blessing.

ps: (as you may have guessed, I use GTK)
Xcom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 06:46 AM   #3
Grets Sirob

I personally use GTK, but that's only because jkr stopped working after I reloaded. I don't think either of them is "better" they're just slightly different.
I'd try one, and if it works for you, go with that, if not, try the other. There is no "better" one.

Hey, you there!

On the bright side, it isn't dark...
Grets Sirob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 06:53 AM   #4
Derisor

I am a beginner. But then perhaps I should start out on the best one.

What are the differences? Is JK2radient put out by Lucasarts or something ? Who makes them ?

Derisor

Current Project:
The sewers of bespin. A single player level taking place one year after the events in Jedi Knight II outcast. A preview of parts of the WIP level is available here.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:49 AM   #5
Ah Boon

jk2Radient is from Ravensoft. i uses jk2R cause most of RD's tuts uses jk2R so its easier for me to check out this tuts and learns stuffs. u can find his tuts somewhere... look for RichDiesel's thread.

Hello. I told you I'll be back.
Ah Boon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 01:25 PM   #6
RichDiesal
Pointfile of DOOM

There are three things that I paricularly hate: kids, animals, and women with attitudes.

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com - Map Showcase and Tutorials!
RichDiesal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 01:33 PM   #7
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

JK2Radiant is a worthless, unstable, horribly crappy peice of crap.

GTKRadiant is what you want, you can get it from www.qeradiant.com.

Clarionet, n. An instrument of torture operated by a person with cotton in his ears. There are two instruments that are worse than a clarionet -- two clarionets.
Emon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 01:34 PM   #8
RichDiesal
Pointfile of DOOM

Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
JK2Radiant is a worthless, unstable, horribly crappy peice of crap.
Only if you don't have a gentle touch and a lack of patience.

It is the editor with more finesse.

There are three things that I paricularly hate: kids, animals, and women with attitudes.

Old 06-26-2002, 01:47 PM   #9
Jango_Fett91

I would rather use JK2 Radient Than GTK because all my textures are missing on GTK

I Will Do anything to make Absath Proud. He was the Great (Considered the best) Modeler of Lucasforums. I will Deeply Miss Him
Jango_Fett91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 02:01 PM   #10
UniKorn
Mysterious Mapper

Quote:
Originally posted by RichDiesal

Only if you don't have a gentle touch and a lack of patience.
It is the editor with more finesse.
*chuckle* GTKRadiant all the way. JK2Radiant is for people who look for trouble :P

Mapcenter:
http://www.map-center.com
UniKorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 10:16 PM   #11
Ah Boon

ehehe... ahaha..... im still with jk2radient

Old 06-26-2002, 10:45 PM   #12
D.L.

I alternate between both. Depends on which Icon I find faster

No major difference I think

Star Wars, General Chat and Games. Join if you want!
http://lounge.proboards5.com

The NJO Mod Website
D.L. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 11:05 PM   #13
Redvan

Exclamation .

just whatever you do, never use JK2Rad then try to edit a map made on that on GTK, runs slow, looks bad, at least on my comp.

Imperial Ground Forces
www.darkjedi.org
*stats*
JK2Radiant
MP FFA
1ghz amd athalon
Redvan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 11:16 PM   #14
D.L.

That's weird.

They are both .map files so there should be no difference.

Photoshop and Paint Shop Por still open jpg files even if one was used to edit it.

Star Wars, General Chat and Games. Join if you want!
http://lounge.proboards5.com

The NJO Mod Website
D.L. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2002, 11:48 PM   #15
aazell

I've tried both and found that JK2 Rad was far easier to set up and get started with. Configuring GTK is too longwinded for a newb whose just trying to learn the ropes. I've never had either crash on me at all.

I'd recommend JK2 Rad to a newb.

aaz
aazell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2002, 12:20 AM   #16
DireTan

JK2 Radiant ROXXOR YOUR BOXXORS
no seriously there are more Tutorials and I got used to it faster..
DireTan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2002, 12:40 AM   #17
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

More tutorials for JK2Radiant?? YOU ARE FOOLS! The tutorials will work for GTKRadiant, EFRadiant, MoHRadiant, Q3Radiant, anything as long as it is not game specific like ICARUS 2 for JO, and in the case of GTK vs JK2 for JO, it doesn't matter.

You can even use old QERADIANT tutorials made for QUAKE II on any of the newer Q3 based Radiants. A lot is the same.

RichDeisal, what are you smoking?? JK2Rad doesn't even let you clone brushes, because you get a memory error. Vertex dragging is ****ed out of the wazoo, and it crashes like crazy.

Clarionet, n. An instrument of torture operated by a person with cotton in his ears. There are two instruments that are worse than a clarionet -- two clarionets.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:06 AM   #18
Anakin

Ok the only problem with GTKRadient is that I have no FX files in it, so I cant create Rain, snow or anyother effects.

I dont know If I have to edit the qe4 file in the scripts folder, but I just doesnt want to work.

Anyhelp would be great, as switching from JKradient to GTKRadient is reallllyyyyyy annoying all the time!

Now Iam the Master
Anakin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2002, 02:46 AM   #19
Redvan

there is probably more for GTK i would think, hasn't it been out longer? But as for the slowness, i have no idea, mabe its just my comp, which i doubt.

Imperial Ground Forces
www.darkjedi.org
*stats*
JK2Radiant
MP FFA
1ghz amd athalon
Redvan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2002, 10:04 AM   #20
Ah Boon

there shouldnt be any slowness

Old 06-27-2002, 10:19 AM   #21
Manquesa

Quote:
Vertex dragging is ****ed out of the wazoo, and it crashes like crazy.
Actually I use both editors and prefer the vertex editing in JK2R over GTKR.

Anyway, like I said, I use both editors:

JK2R: Most of my map building takes places here, including texturing, lighting, entities, compiling and so on.
Shows curves properly in editor.

GTKR: I use this for extra editiing control for certain situations
Accurately selects the brush you want, not some other brush you didn't even click on.
multiple face texturing, this feature is a godsend.
separate patch mesh surface inspector, not sure if it's better than JK2R's or not but I use it

Oh and also:
EFRadiant: to purge evil poly's (only because i'm too lazy to copy the plugin file to JK2R)

Finished Projects:
Sith Terminator
Awing
Tie-Interceptor
Y-Wing
Death Glider
Slave 1
Ep. 3 Jedi Starfighter

Current Projects:
T-16 Skyhopper
Manquesa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2002, 10:38 AM   #22
Xcom
k_ai_master

Quote:
Originally posted by Manquesa
Shows curves properly in editor.
What do you mean by "properly"? Actually, I assume that you mean that GTKR doesn't display them properly. Elaborate.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:49 AM   #23
Manquesa

mainly i'm refering to cylinders, it draws them on the grid more like multi-faced brushes than cylinders. They show up fine in the 3d window but I just find it very annoying to look at the grid and see these rigid sometimes diamond shaped cylinders(if they're small) when they should be round. Jk2R shows them the way they actually are on the grid, which is round.

Finished Projects:
Sith Terminator
Awing
Tie-Interceptor
Y-Wing
Death Glider
Slave 1
Ep. 3 Jedi Starfighter

Current Projects:
T-16 Skyhopper
Manquesa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2002, 12:34 PM   #24
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

Vertex editing in JK2R over GTKR? I take it you like your verticies to deform in completely random form in the way that you didn't even want it to...

Old 06-27-2002, 02:13 PM   #25
RichDiesal
Pointfile of DOOM

Quote:
RichDeisal, what are you smoking?? JK2Rad doesn't even let you clone brushes, because you get a memory error. Vertex dragging is ****ed out of the wazoo, and it crashes like crazy.
I've never experienced any sort of random crash in Jk2Radiant... maybe you should learn to use the software before you start fooling around with it?

Also, I clone brushes all the time. I use this neat tool called the space bar. You should try it. If your computer crashes when you use it, well.. I'm sorry your computer sucks so much.

And vertex editing works just fine... Never had a problem with it either. And there are an awful lot of vertex-edited curves on duel_kamino, so if there was something wrong with it, I'd think I would know...

Just sayin.

Oh, and I do use GTK occasionally (I'm not ignorant of its features) but only for the plugins. All brush/curve/etc building I do in JK2R.

Old 06-27-2002, 08:01 PM   #26
aazell

Rich has spoken!

Let all ye lesser fools shutteth uppeth!

I was just going to mention a bug I found in JTK that isn't in GTK.

In the texture window if you scroll to the bottom using the scroll block on the scroll bar it sometimes wont stop scrolling and gets stuck. At that time I had no option but to dump out of JTK and restart it.

That doesn't happen in GTK. So there's somthing going for it!

Eh, Hey?

Don't ya think?

Ill just shut up then............
aazell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2002, 08:26 PM   #27
Derisor

Actually One thing I love about RichDiesel is his avatar. Darth Homer. Good stuff. You should get someone to model him for a map.

The Camino platform is very pretty but if you add the rest of camino it would be even better.

One thing I have probles with using JK2radient is that when I run the game, I have to exit the editor cause it crashes or laggs the game. Does GTKradient have the same issue?

Derisor

Current Project:
Old 06-27-2002, 08:39 PM   #28
Ah Boon

multi face texturing?? do u mean tat we dont have to <shift>+<ctrl>+click anymore on each face to texture it?

Old 06-27-2002, 08:51 PM   #29
UniKorn
Mysterious Mapper

shift+alt+click all the faces you want to have that texture, choose the texture, and boom, all faces are textured. That is if you are using gtk

Mapcenter:
http://www.map-center.com
UniKorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2002, 09:36 PM   #30
Altimira

I am a proud user of JKRadiant. I just have a couple problems with it...When i get a semi-complicated map, and im in the 2D a veiw, everything goes black except for the names of the entities(lights, doors, etc.). I hope there is a way to fix that cause im having to split my current map into Sections. The other problem is that when arbitrary rotating brushes, at a 45 degree angle, it mutates the brush into god know what ( i spent an hour yesterday trying to fix this. which i finaly gave up and CSG subtracted it while it was already rotated)... its a pain to make arch ways like this.
Somthing i hate about curves in general, is that when editing the vertexes, if you take the outside ones they and move them around and then cap it, the cap isn't a square (it puts it where the vertexes are. which i get, but its a pain). I think it they should be square, cause my current WIP uses alot of curves that i want to cap them a square after i edit the vertexes ( it would simplify my life so much). So i just making them out of regular brushes. Which is all fine and good cause my map still looks amazing and it doesnt really add much compile time.

BTW is there any way to fix any of these prblems?

-Altimira

Altimira is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2002, 09:38 PM   #31
Ah Boon

but tat way i would texture the whole brush instead of the face

Old 06-27-2002, 11:21 PM   #32
Altimira

thats what caulk is for right? just put it on the faces you dont see in the game

Old 06-28-2002, 12:55 AM   #33
RichDiesal
Pointfile of DOOM

Free rotation of brushes in JK2R or GTKR will cause that problem... that's why you don't ever use free rotation unless you plan to never edit a surface again.

And if you need to make archways on 45 degree angles, just drag to vertices to make them on 45 degree angles... don't rotate them.

And as for caps, just make the square endcap before you edit the vertices. Makes life much easier.

Old 06-28-2002, 03:04 AM   #34
Xcom
k_ai_master

Quote:
Originally posted by Manquesa
mainly i'm refering to cylinders, it draws them on the grid more like multi-faced brushes than cylinders. They show up fine in the 3d window but I just find it very annoying to look at the grid and see these rigid sometimes diamond shaped cylinders(if they're small) when they should be round. Jk2R shows them the way they actually are on the grid, which is round.
Oh, that. Never bothered me. I guess it's matter of taste.

Quote:
And vertex editing works just fine... Never had a problem with it either. And there are an awful lot of vertex-edited curves on duel_kamino, so if there was something wrong with it, I'd think I would know...
I bet he is referring to vertex editing of normal brushes. GTKR will split planes in two halfs while keeping the shape together. JK2R will deform everything and you'll end up remaking the brush (cuz undo doesn't work either).
Old 06-28-2002, 03:09 AM   #35
RichDiesal
Pointfile of DOOM

Ahhh, that makes more sense. I never use the Vertex Tool with brushes, so I wouldn't know.

Much easier just to clip it up.

Old 06-28-2002, 03:16 AM   #36
VIO

as you can guess it really more of a matter of opinion, im sure other will tell me different...
i use jkiiradiant i just like it better its more single and raw no useless dodads and gtk has alot of thing that look nice but have no real use..i do admit though the undo button is nice, that really the only reason i ever use it, well that and for editing vertexs of brushes

-VIO
VIO is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2002, 03:16 AM   #37
Xcom
k_ai_master

Yeah, I agree. I also use clipper tool whereever possible but in some cases it is not possible.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:54 AM   #38
Altimira

Quote:
Free rotation of brushes in JK2R or GTKR will cause that problem... that's why you don't ever use free rotation unless you plan to never edit a surface again.

And if you need to make archways on 45 degree angles, just drag to vertices to make them on 45 degree angles... don't rotate them.

And as for caps, just make the square endcap before you edit the vertices. Makes life much easier.
Thanks, ill try that. the answer seems so simple now

Old 06-28-2002, 10:52 AM   #39
Ah Boon

i just luv to use gtk radiant!
it makes my texturing job MUCH easier. i always build my brushed from cault so that i only have to texture the faces needed to be seen. just shift+crtl+alt+click then keep selecting all the faces u wanna texture then, TADA!!! done!

Old 07-04-2002, 01:33 AM   #40
Gameface

I'm using GTKRadiant, and want to know how to set up the program so it can find all my JK2 textures and stuff. All of them are loaded fine with JK2Radiant. Should I have GTK point at a certain dir?
Gameface is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JO Mapping > JK2radient or GTKradient