lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Matrox G200 & Game Crashes - Please Help
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-24-2000, 05:38 PM   #1
stanl56

Unhappy Matrox G200 & Game Crashes - Please Help

The game continuously either crashes back to the desktop or freezes while the music is still playing, when it freezes with the music still playing it DOES NOT eventually respond to mouse clicks - it stays frozen & I have to re-boot the system. The farthest I've gotten is to Desert training mission 3. I have applied the patch to V1.1. I have tried all the steps mentioned in the Trouble shooting guide! My desktop & game resolution is set to 640X480 16bit High Color with only Low res textures checked in the Video performance section. I have a Matrox Millennium G200 w/16 meg SGRAM, video driver version 5.41. Sound card is a Sound Blaster AWE 64 ISA with the latest drivers, some of the sound card drivers do not show as certified on DXDiag, but it works in all games, & I have take the steps for this sound card suggested in the Trouble shooting guide too. The Analyze System shows everything is OK.
The rest of my system is a PII 450 192 meg,
Acer 40x CD, HP9100 CDRW, Cable Modem W/USB NIC, Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

[This message has been edited by stanl56 (edited April 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by stanl56 (edited April 24, 2000).]
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2000, 08:20 PM   #2
Chunks

try going to Yoda's help desk at lucasarts.com its an online help utility.

------------------
umm, yeah
Old 04-25-2000, 01:13 PM   #3
stanl56

Chunks - Yoda's automated help gives the same canned answers as the Trouble Shooting Guide. I'll leave an E-Mail message for Lucas Tech support and wait for an answer.

[This message has been edited by stanl56 (edited April 25, 2000).]
Old 04-25-2000, 02:43 PM   #4
Francois PERROUX

Hi
I've got myself a Millenium G200 with 16 Meg SGRAM too, on a PII 400Mhz, 128 Meg RAM, and
a SB AWE64 too.
I have the "solid block characters" problem (described on the Lucas Art site), although I run the 5.52 Matrox driver, but I don't have any other game crash nor music lock.
In addition, I run the game in 1152x864, 24 bits, without any big trouble, except some very few frame freeze from time to time when combat is intense (many people and explosions at the same time).

I run Windows 98 first edition, and DirectX 7.0a (the latest version, downloaded from the Microsoft site; I don't use the 7.0 from the game CD).

I'm not sure this helps (and I understand it's frustratring when you have a problem to hear people saying they don't), but I think it was interesting for you to know that someone, with almost the same configuration, can play the game.
The only difference is, I have the french version (yes, I'm french...), but I doubt this makes a big change. I installed the 1.1 patch too.

Are you sure your 5.41 is correctly installed ? It should be explicitely mentioned in the Information tab. Sometimes, the installation doesn't work properly, and you must run the pd_unin utility to correctly clean up your system.
What features of the PowerDesk do you run ?
I kept myself all default options, and didn't change anything.
Which Graphics BIOS do you run ? I have 2.60

Otherwise, my only advices are
1. check your swap space; I recommend Windows to manage it by itself. In a rough approximation, and from my experience, the game needs 128 Meg paging space.
2. try on a different resolution
3. if it doesn't work, install DirectX7.0a from the Microsoft download center
4. if it doesn't work, install the 5.52 driver, but use pd_unin first.

Good Luck
Francois
Old 04-26-2000, 01:26 PM   #5
stanl56

Wink

Francois,
Thanks for trying to help. Interesting to see that you might be the only person in the world with a system similar to mine! I'll try your suggestions when I get a chance, and let you know the results.
Thanks
Stanl56

[This message has been edited by stanl56 (edited April 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by stanl56 (edited April 28, 2000).]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 2. Star Wars Gaming > Star Wars RTS Central > Matrox G200 & Game Crashes - Please Help