lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Does JK2 Work with AOL?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-22-2002, 04:57 PM   #1
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Does JK2 Work with AOL?

A friend of mine has AOL and wants to try JK2 on the net. We haven't been able to get it to work. Does anyone know of a work around?
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 05:18 PM   #2
jarek

Uhm, it works. AOL one of the largest ISPs in the world. Although I havent tried to get on JK2 with AOL personally, I'm sure if there were a real problem someone would have spoken up before now. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, its not AOL, its your buddy's computer.
jarek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 05:23 PM   #3
HellFyre69

yep.. JO is one of the few games that works with 56k.. I used to play this game with 56k, and It worked beatifully with 10 ppl.. Now that I have cable, I cant even notice the difference! between 40 ping to 150 ping

It is obvious this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with the lightsaber."

-Count Dooku

HellFyre69 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 05:36 PM   #4
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

See the problem is....AOL isn't a true ISP. They sort of reflect the internet down to their customers. As such, internet gaming is a pain in the butt with AOL. Hell, AOL just plain sucks.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:52 PM   #5
Caster

Ugh. Unless your friend is using one of the AOL-cablecompany partnership deals, he's likely connected at a measly 26,000kbps. Which is not going to be enough for the game, or any game really.

Fuel burning space polluting X-Wings!
You probably have seat
belts with those shield of yours!
Caster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Maybe, but his connection sucks ether way.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:27 PM   #7
OnlyOneCanoli
Paranoid Bandroid

I highly doubt that with AOL, you'll get anything below a 300 ping with the Q3 netcode... it isn't very kind to 56kers, nevermind AOL users.

As for getting it to work at all... I would think you'd be able to a play a bit. But I'm not speaking from experience, as I won't touch that thing with a 42 foot pole.
OnlyOneCanoli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 06:37 PM   #8
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

yeah, aol blows chunks, it's got some sort of uber-firewall that "protects" the users from the big, scary internet.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:51 PM   #9
NerfYoda
Grumpy Old Man

Mindless AOL bashing aside...

A bunch of the students at the Academy are AOL users. If you get an IP address you should be able to play fine. What errors are you getting from the game?

Time to clear up AOL misconcessions:
Your max connection rate is not 26,000 baud. Connection rate depends on line quality, your modem & your ISP's modem. AOL uses 56k modems most of the place if I remember right.

It is true that you get a kind of hand-me-down internet connection though. It's not the best & you'd be better off with a real ISP, but your game should work.

aka DJ Sith of the Jedi Academy
My car is made of Nerf.
NerfYoda is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 07:14 PM   #10
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Well, we couldn't get it to work. But I guess it could be user error....he's really bad about not following instructions and such. :P
Old 07-22-2002, 07:39 PM   #11
Psionic Jedi

Just cause AOL is a large ISP doesn't mean it's gaming friendly. It's commercials revolve around happy people describing instant messaging, emails, weather reports, music, blah blah... nothing about gaming.

Without fear, there is no courage
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
This would be really funny if it weren't happening to me.
In the land of California, in the heat of San Jose the dark haired PSIONIC JEDI forged in secret a master computer to control all others and into this computer he poured his money, his computer parts and many screws
One computer to rule them all. One computer to find the foes
One computer to bring them all to hell and in the darkness conquer
In the online gaming world where the envying ones lie.
-Original dito119
Psionic Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 08:00 PM   #12
jarek

Quote:
Originally posted by Psionic Jedi
Just cause AOL is a large ISP doesn't mean it's gaming friendly.
I never said it was "gaming friendly". I simply stated it was large...quite large. Which means out of its millions of customers, some of them probably play jedi knight. Since theres never been an issue of JK2 not working with AOL, this is obviously an isolated incident.

My guess is, this guy who cant get JK2 online probably has restricted access. AOL's "parental controls feature"...lol. Thru my work, I encounter customers with this problem because theyve been restricted to "aol only" content. Thats probably whats messing him up too.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:58 PM   #13
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Interesting....I'll have to ask him and then strangle him if that's the reason. His AOL has been plagueing him for years.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:34 PM   #14
HellFyre69

wuts wrong with AOL!!?

In fact i used to use netzero!! yes!! free internet (now they started charging so I got cable..bah! dam netzero) i got 150 ping in ut!! and guess it wut.. at that time Netzero was FREE... so AOL should be enuff for JO.. AIM has nothing wrong.. In fact AOL is dying(Sadly)... more and more ppl are getting cable/dsl so A lot less ppl will be using it

It is obvious this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with the lightsaber."

-Count Dooku

HellFyre69 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2002, 11:12 AM   #15
jarek

Quote:
Originally posted by HellFyre69
wuts wrong with AOL!!?

In fact i used to use netzero!! yes!! free internet (now they started charging so I got cable..bah! dam netzero).
Man, #### netzero. I remember when they used to run TV commercials saying "internet should always be free" and "free is the american way". They sold out big time tho. Net-Zero needs to rename themselves to Net-Nine-Ninety-Five.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:33 AM   #16
Mercen4ry

Location: Hiding in a dark corner high above you, with Tenloss drawn... Marshmallows, anyone?
Dear unfortunate AOL subscriber's friend: (as quoted from Game Revolution)

Yes, JK2 should work with AOL, but depending upon which service your friend subscribes to, it may or may not turn into a serious problem where gameplay is concerned. Luckily, JK2 isn't that much of a bandwidth hog as compared to games like, say, Tribes 2, but for the long run, I would say get another ISP. You owe it to your friend; AOL sacrifices many of the features of a basic ISP in lieu of a dumbed down interface that preaches user friendliness.

And as for Netzero, Juno, or their alliance - I tried them, and all I have to say is: bah. Half the time I ran the service, not only was it slow.... but ads killed my games every 3 seconds, and added more spyware than KaZaA and Warez sites combined.

Trust me, get a good ISP for your friend; it's an investment that his gaming addiction will surely thank.

Mercen4ry is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 10:36 PM   #17
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Yeah, I've been telling him that for years. Sounds like he's finely going to switch soon.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Does JK2 Work with AOL?