lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Sabering in JKII vs KOTR
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-24-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
CorranHornjr

Sabering in JKII vs KOTOR

I don't know if you all have watched the trailer for KOTOR but the saber fighting seems much better...when I say this I mean that it is more like the movies and more of a typical fight would be. People when they are fighting in real life do not go around slash left and right, the lightsaber is an elegant weapon and in JKII it is just a laser rod that we slash around and throw at each other.

I like the gameplay but I think i am looking forward to either a mod for JKII or KOTOR to hopefully get more of a movie feel..because that is what we are all going for..

but it would be nice if somone made a saber mod....

let me know your thoughts..

at request...here is the lucasarts Knights of the old republic website..the trailer is there.
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/default.htm

And then there were was one...

Last edited by CorranHornjr; 07-24-2002 at 06:07 PM.
CorranHornjr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2002, 06:00 PM   #2
Tree

give......... link..........
Tree is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2002, 06:02 PM   #3
<>Phant0m<>

Give ME link right now !

/me unclips magnum

Rp.[color=sky blue]Phantom[/color]
Last of the true saberists.

Irc : #clanrp on irc.BarrysWorld.com
<>Phant0m<> is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2002, 06:08 PM   #4
Old_Ben

It's an rpg though so you wont have as much control of what you do with the saber.

So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.
Old_Ben is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2002, 06:12 PM   #5
CorranHornjr

Quote:
Originally posted by Old_Ben
It's an rpg though so you wont have as much control of what you do with the saber.
Yes it is a RPG but are you sure that we won't have control of the saber? Though it is an RPG it seems like we ARE going to have alot of control...we get to make our own lightsaber for goodness sake...

I don't want this to become an advertisment for KOTOR, i just thought I would get everyones opinion on the saber fighting in JKII and what they see in KOTOR..and what they perfer.

Last edited by CorranHornjr; 07-24-2002 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:26 PM   #6
HellFyre69

is an rpg.... I read it in EGM (electronic gaming montly)

It is obvious this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with the lightsaber."

-Count Dooku

HellFyre69 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2002, 06:46 PM   #7
Tree

ohh man I've seen that.

I thought the fight scenes looked very scripted.

I doubt the real thing would look half that good.

I hope SW galaxies has epic saber fights.
Tree is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2002, 06:56 PM   #8
CorranHornjr

I see your point tree, but if you look at all of the trailer you will see the main character sabering a beast and a trooper of some sort and they look like the same moves....i doubt it will be scripted. It looks like it is going to be a different RPG...more loose..

I am getting the impression that most people don't like RPGs...though everyone is pumped about galaxies..but not about KOTOR..why? It is just interesting..because even JKII had a RPG part in it..with puzzles and a story line...

Old 07-24-2002, 07:20 PM   #9
Demolisher

I hope that KoToR and Galaxies are like JKII in terms of controls and stuff, eventhough it's not the quake 3 engine. I tell you, it'll be cool and a lot more fun than JKII if it is
Demolisher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2002, 08:01 PM   #10
Old_Ben

Quote:
Originally posted by CorranHornjr

I am getting the impression that most people don't like RPGs...though everyone is pumped about galaxies..but not about KOTOR..why? It is just interesting..because even JKII had a RPG part in it..with puzzles and a story line...
I really want to play KOTOR, but it's different than SWG that's an mmorpg and alot of people like that they can role play with others and not just the computer.

By the way have you gone over to the starwarsknights.com forums there are alot of people there that are looking forward to the game, and there is a lot of info about it.

Old 07-25-2002, 04:43 PM   #11
CorranHornjr

Yeah I have been to those forums just to see if there were anymore information. Don't get me wrong, I love JediKnightII it is the only thing I play right now, but I guess I just wish the saber fighting was more up to par with the movies..that is just me.

I am not trying to push KOTOR, I just think it will be pretty good and I wanted to see how everyone else saw the saber fighting in JKII.

Old 07-25-2002, 05:33 PM   #12
Deetox187

The saber fights in KOTOR will be point and click, you won't have much control.
Deetox187 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 06:12 PM   #13
Arne95

Hmm i'd preffer the KOTOR fighting. It would be much cooler if you could stop a slash of an enemy by raisin your hand. Scenes like saberlooks are cool but they have to be matches with more skill than slashing your enemy till he's dead. I fenced some years ago and its an continual attack/parade-fight. Would be much cooler but Raven just likes to make it worse

so cheers
Arne95 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 06:22 PM   #14
toolboi

KOTR is based off of the NWN engine isnt it? THat would kind of imply that its point and click...

Edit: Just watched the trailer. DEFINATLY point and click. Notice how they scroll the camer as the fightint happens.
toolboi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 06:55 PM   #15
KnightHawk420

Well of course the saber battles look better. You don't really think lucas would show off assfighting in a demo do ya. hehe
KnightHawk420 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 07:54 PM   #16
Lunatic Jedi
Don't make me use this!

I will admit that the fighting looks scripted, but I doubt that it will be. Whatever happens, I am most anxiously awaiting KOTOR.

http://linuxsupportdesk.net/pichost/...unaticJed1.gif removed [img] tags due to HTTP 401 response --tk102

"Yes. The pain you feel is your very essence, the essence of the crude animal known as Homo Sapien."

-Millions Knives
Lunatic Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 08:07 PM   #17
D@rth M@ul

I like how the camera pans around the fight, although that may
just be a different camera view. We'll just have to wait and see
what the final result is.

I hope SWG's sabering is like that of KOTR.

.o)(Darth Maul )(o.

- "There is no pain were strength lies."

-"So the sith really do exist?".
We always have.
We always will.
D@rth M@ul is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 09:01 PM   #18
Old_Ben

The game is never the same as is shown in the trailer for it. They make it look better so you'll go by the game, but KOTOR still looks really good.

Old 07-25-2002, 09:24 PM   #19
Caster

KOTOR = NWN Engine = Point and click.

NWN is amazing though. And I have no doubt that BioWare is gonna rock the RPG gaming genre with KOTOR.

Fuel burning space polluting X-Wings!
You probably have seat
belts with those shield of yours!
Caster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 10:23 PM   #20
HellFyre69

any1 else played planescape Torment!?... well is made by BioWare.. and I think it almost has the same gameplay has KOTOR... However planescape sux!!? BIG TIME!.. even though it got those big "Good" reviews.. the game pretty sux overall... n1 else agree?

It is obvious this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with the lightsaber."

-Count Dooku

HellFyre69 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 10:55 PM   #21
Gryphcon

KOTOR is using a completely new engine than NWN. The NWN has no sky. KOTOR does.

Also, KOTOR is being made by the same people who did Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. So it looks like its gonna be a pretty good game.
Gryphcon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 10:59 PM   #22
Deetox187

Quote:
Originally posted by HellFyre69
any1 else played planescape Torment!?... well is made by BioWare.. and I think it almost has the same gameplay has KOTOR... However planescape sux!!? BIG TIME!.. even though it got those big "Good" reviews.. the game pretty sux overall... n1 else agree?
I completely DISAGREE! PST is of the the greatest RPG's i have ever played. Yes it started out slow and there was a crapload of text to read but after awhile i found myself very absorbed in the complex storyline and i simply couldn't stop playing.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:05 PM   #23
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

How would KOTOR be a point and click game when it's a X-Box game?
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 11:23 PM   #24
Deetox187

Its not just an Xbox game its coming to PC too, plus there are ways to use a point and click system with a gamepad. Probably won't be as easy as using a mouse but it can be done. Fact is KOTOR will be point and click, i've read that many times on the KOTOR forums.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:07 AM   #25
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

sure, it's coming to the PC AFTER the X-Box. That means it's probably going to be consoltized when it comes to the PC. You're right thou. I was joking with the point and click. Point and click sucks on the consoles.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:07 AM   #26
CorranHornjr

Explain why you believe it will be point and click? There is a scene where the guy is fighting a beast and it looks like it is mouse controlled like jkII...just the way he swings....

I don't know...I like the up close battles more...i havn't played a RPG since Space and Kings Quest back in the early early ninties when I was 11 and 12.

Old 07-26-2002, 03:00 AM   #27
Deetox187

Ok i did some research and i found a fairly detailed description of the combat from Casey H. of Bioware. Sounds like it will indeed be point and click but we will have many options to use during the fights to keep us involved.

Anyways read this and judge for yourself:

Part of the reason that it may be difficult to imagine how the combat works is that it's never been done quite this way before. I'll try to clear up some of the confusion:

1) Combat is real-time, not turn-based. This means that you can move your character, do Force powers, special moves, called shots, etc. at any time. The battle goes on around you non-stop, with characters running around, explosions going off, blaster bolts sailing through the air, and Jedi engaged in lightsaber duels. At no point does the game wait for you to select what you want to happen next, as in turn-based combat.

2) Combat is rules-based. This means that the success of your character in combat is based on that character's skills, in combination with the strategies you use. When you attack an enemy, your character will begin fighting that enemy with the current weapon. You can then use a variety of Force powers and special combat moves, change your level of aggression/defensiveness, etc. You will also have up to 3 characters at a time to control, so you'll have a ton of things to do in combat keeping your characters fighting as strategically as possible. You can also pause the game to do certain actions if the combat gets too intense.

The overall result is that you can have action-packed combat where you feel like you're in direct control of your character, while your success in combat relates directly to the skills you've developed in your character throughout the game.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:08 AM   #28
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

When we say point-and-click, we mean that you just select the moves your character to do from a menu instead of directly controlling your character like in JK2. But, it's what you'd expect, it IS a console RPG.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:38 AM   #29
munik
Banned

For those who want good saber fighting in SWG, I dont' think there'll be alot of that. If it keeps to the storyline somewhat, not everyone uses a lightsaber. Just the Jedi. And you can't just be a Jedi. It's not like a class you choose or anything. If you could, everyone would be a Jedi (and all the rest bounty hunters ) and you wouldn't have any other classes. You get picked or something, not exactly sure how, to be a Jedi. It chooses you, not the other way around.

Sorry for the minor hijack, please return to your KOTOR discussion

Munik

EDIT: Time stamp on this post is one day earlier then I wrote it. It even moved it up one post to put in chronological order. With this knowledge, I can now rip a hole in the time/space continium using these forums as my tool. Muhahaha.
munik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2002, 06:24 AM   #30
Arne95

Sure, The guy said, If you click on someone the character will start fighting. It's not hack and slay! You have to stop the attack not to continue. There is actually no way of controling the moves.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:26 AM   #31
Arne95

Hmm something is wrong with the board date: My post is before corrans. But I replied his article...
Old 07-26-2002, 12:48 PM   #32
CorranHornjr

thanks deetox,

I did actually read that last night, i went on their forum to find out more. Does it really say that it will be point and click though? I don't want to prolong this more than it needs to be....but maybe I am just reading it wrong.

Could you explain your idea of point and click?
is that just pointing on the "bad guy" and you watch them fight?

thanks for the patience in answering all my questions..i am just trying to figure this out...i have some time to burn between my summer classes...

Old 07-28-2002, 04:21 AM   #33
Caster

Okay. I've played all of BioWare's RPG games and I'm sure I can describe how combat works.

You select one of your character (I heard the party limit in the game was 3 characters) with the left mouse button, than you right click on an enemy. That selected character than moves towards and starts attacking that enemy depending on his abilities (attacks per turn, etc).

This character continues to attack until:

a) enemy is killed
b) character is killed (though it's possible the character may fail a morale check and run in fear not under your control
c) your reselect the character and target another enemy or target a piece of the ground for the character to run to.

Fuel burning space polluting X-Wings!
You probably have seat
belts with those shield of yours!
Caster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2002, 10:26 AM   #34
Lunatic Jedi
Don't make me use this!

No, you only attack with your one character. Droids and friends attack alongside you with A.I. They're not under your control.

http://linuxsupportdesk.net/pichost/...unaticJed1.gif removed [img] tags due to HTTP 401 response --tk102

"Yes. The pain you feel is your very essence, the essence of the crude animal known as Homo Sapien."

-Millions Knives
Lunatic Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2002, 11:55 AM   #35
Demolisher

So basically it'll be like in JK2 where Jan, Lando, and Luke follow you at certain times? Or like in Elite Force where you had a whole team; I liked that
Demolisher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2002, 10:09 PM   #36
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

KOTOR isn't a FPS, it's a role playing game. But basically a RPG generally consits of a group of characters that you control equally.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
Old 07-28-2002, 10:44 PM   #37
Gryphcon

So are your other party members gonna be AI controlled (like henchmen in NWN [bad]), or like the party members in Baldur's Gate [good])?
Gryphcon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2002, 11:39 PM   #38
IMNORFIN

I'm just wondering, is KOTOR going to be multiplayer, too? I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, but just wanted to know right away.
IMNORFIN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2002, 01:20 AM   #39
Darth Vicious

You have no control over your sabering in KOTOR. Neither do you have it in Galaxies. Galaxies is using combat much like Everquest. *Pukes*

As for KOTOR, It is a game based off of WOTC's (wizards of the coast) 3rd Edition ruleset for Star Wars. The pen and paper game. The Lightsaber duels won't be "Scripted" but will be very NWN-like, only (as bioware says) with a more dangerous pace of the swings/blocks.

JK II is the only game with real lightsaber control.

Speaking of which, if you want to see what it's like to create a character for KOTOR, start by downloading the character generator here;

http://technologies.okinardae.com/

Since WOTC's pen and paper rules for the Star Wars RPG includes space/vehicle combat, and the trailer shows some of the same stuff, it's safe to say that most of the things in the character generator will make the transition to KOTOR.

Enjoy and all that.
Darth Vicious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2002, 07:02 PM   #40
L!Z@rd

HERETIC 2 IS THE BEST SABER/BLADE MELEE GAME EVER!!! and it's Made by RAVEN
L!Z@rd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Sabering in JKII vs KOTR