lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Metroid: Samus Aran WIP
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-01-2002, 04:52 PM   #41
TheWhiteRaider
White as Snow.

*bump*

Just because I don't know something doesn't mean I'm stupid. It means you failed to tell me.
TheWhiteRaider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2002, 10:23 PM   #42
TheWhiteRaider
White as Snow.

Hey Kman Do you have anymore pics?

Just because I don't know something doesn't mean I'm stupid. It means you failed to tell me.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:05 AM   #43
<JOTD>Jedi Hunter

If he has anymore updates he'll post them. Until then just sit tight and wait. I don't think he's waiting for someone to ask. He'll post em when he posts em.

HE LIVES INSIDE MY MOUTH AND TELLS ME WHAT TO SAY WHEN HE TURNS THE TRAINS ON HE MAKES IT GO AWAY THE HANDS ARE CRACKED AND DIRTY AND THE NAILS ARE BEETLE WINGS WHEN HE TURNS THE TRAINS ON HE UNTIES ALL OF THE STRINGS
THE WORM: "TELL ME SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL, TELL ME SOMETHING FREE, TELL ME SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL AND I WISH THAT I COULD BE." JACK: (NOT SPOKEN) COME, COME THE TOYS ALL SMELL LIKE CHILDREN AND SCAB-KNEES WILL OBEY I'LL HAVE TO KNEEL ON BROOMSTICKSJUST TO MAKE IT GO AWAY [THE INAUGURATION OF THE WORM] A VOICE WE HAVE NOT YET HEARD: "BECAUSE TODAY
IS BLACK/BECAUSE THERE IS NO TURNING BACK. BECAUSE YOUR LIES HAVE WATERED ME/ I HAVE BECOME THE STRONGEST WEED" THROUGH JACK'S EYES: THE TASTE OF METAL DISINTEGRATOR THREE HOLES UPON THE LEATHER BELT IT'S CUT AND SWOLLEN AND THE AGE IS SHOWING BOY: " THERE'S NO ONE HERE TO SAVE OURSELF." THE DISINTEGRATOR: (TO HIMSELF) THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD FEAR YOU ARE WHAT YOU SHOULD FEAR
<JOTD>Jedi Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2002, 08:54 PM   #44
TheWhiteRaider
White as Snow.

I just thought I might ask.

Old 09-04-2002, 08:51 PM   #45
hawk_of_war

I'm thinking this project might have died.... either that or he forgot.

Hawk of War
hawk_of_war is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 08:59 PM   #46
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
No, it's just that I choose not to post any new pics up yet. That's all.
KMan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2002, 09:00 PM   #47
hawk_of_war

You have to remember that when we readers don't see any updates on highly anticipated models for over a period of a month or so we think its died.

Hawk of War
Old 09-09-2002, 03:33 AM   #48
TheWhiteRaider
White as Snow.

*bump*

Old 09-13-2002, 12:55 AM   #49
TheWhiteRaider
White as Snow.

Hey Kman how close are you. I'm on the egde of my seat.

Old 09-13-2002, 01:55 AM   #50
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
Still working on her. School stared for me this week, and I've got a pretty full load. However none of them are modeling classes, so I will be able to make time for her. I've modeled down to her knees now.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:13 AM   #51
<JOTD>Jedi Hunter

Curious, Kman have you compiled any sounds for her? If so aer they custom? I would find that to be quite intresting. Anyway, good luck in school man.

HE LIVES INSIDE MY MOUTH AND TELLS ME WHAT TO SAY WHEN HE TURNS THE TRAINS ON HE MAKES IT GO AWAY THE HANDS ARE CRACKED AND DIRTY AND THE NAILS ARE BEETLE WINGS WHEN HE TURNS THE TRAINS ON HE UNTIES ALL OF THE STRINGS
THE WORM: "TELL ME SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL, TELL ME SOMETHING FREE, TELL ME SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL AND I WISH THAT I COULD BE." JACK: (NOT SPOKEN) COME, COME THE TOYS ALL SMELL LIKE CHILDREN AND SCAB-KNEES WILL OBEY I'LL HAVE TO KNEEL ON BROOMSTICKSJUST TO MAKE IT GO AWAY [THE INAUGURATION OF THE WORM] A VOICE WE HAVE NOT YET HEARD: "BECAUSE TODAY
IS BLACK/BECAUSE THERE IS NO TURNING BACK. BECAUSE YOUR LIES HAVE WATERED ME/ I HAVE BECOME THE STRONGEST WEED" THROUGH JACK'S EYES: THE TASTE OF METAL DISINTEGRATOR THREE HOLES UPON THE LEATHER BELT IT'S CUT AND SWOLLEN AND THE AGE IS SHOWING BOY: " THERE'S NO ONE HERE TO SAVE OURSELF." THE DISINTEGRATOR: (TO HIMSELF) THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD FEAR YOU ARE WHAT YOU SHOULD FEAR
<JOTD>Jedi Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2002, 12:08 AM   #52
TheWhiteRaider
White as Snow.

Hope this turns out well. Good Luck Kman

Old 09-16-2002, 12:49 AM   #53
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
About the sounds- I'll get to them when I get the rest of her sorted out. And I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:39 AM   #54
hawk_of_war

Just for the conversational value, what are you planning to do with them? Ganna try to rip them from the Gamecube game that's coming out?

Hawk of War
Old 09-16-2002, 12:35 PM   #55
_NinjaGaiden_

HOLY S***!!!!!!

THAT MODEL LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!

The Ninja Dragon
_NinjaGaiden_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2002, 04:39 PM   #56
icepool

Kman the model looks great. As for everyone that cant wait to see this model finished well no one realizes how much homework you get in college compared to high school. Seriously high school is a joke. And most people believe if your going to an art college like the art institute or something that the homework is a joke because its not a real college. Wrong the homework is worse and is more time consuming. So I imaging that most of the models in these forums are gonna take a long time to complete.

STAR WARS
EPISODE III
REVENGE OF THE SITH
icepool is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2002, 08:47 PM   #57
bomberman_xc

this model is great..................a true masterpiece

"You don't cuddle with Max Power, you strap yourself in and feel the G's!!!" - Homer Simpson
bomberman_xc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2002, 05:53 AM   #58
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
Image 10
Finally got the base model laid down in concrete. Going to see what all I can optimize, then I'm going to unwrap the rest of the model.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:57 AM   #59
Psynex

*tss tss tss* Where's her @$$? Seriously, there's no butt plate. The jet pack doesn't look like it could even blow dry someones hair. The boots need some tweaking too. I'm pretty sure I remember pictures of a molded calf muscle on them. The ridges on the shoulders should be raised a bit. If her head is still under her helmet, you should just can it. I don't care if its "COOOOOOooooooool!". You won't really see it that much in multiplayer and those polys could be better spent on more detail on the suit, which is what the character is really all about anyway.
Psynex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2002, 01:42 AM   #60
Sam

It's looking good

Nobodys prefect perfect
Sam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2002, 03:26 AM   #61
TheWhiteRaider
White as Snow.

Very good Kman

Old 09-18-2002, 10:50 AM   #62
hawk_of_war

It looks great but I have to agree with the following:

Quote:
Originally posted by Psynex
*tss tss tss* Where's her @$$? Seriously, there's no butt plate. The jet pack doesn't look like it could even blow dry someones hair. The boots need some tweaking too. I'm pretty sure I remember pictures of a molded calf muscle on them. The ridges on the shoulders should be raised a bit. If her head is still under her helmet, you should just can it. I don't care if its "COOOOOOooooooool!". You won't really see it that much in multiplayer and those polys could be better spent on more detail on the suit, which is what the character is really all about anyway.

Hawk of War
Old 09-18-2002, 10:58 AM   #63
bleek

Did Samus ever have an @$$ in her hard metal suit?
bleek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2002, 07:45 PM   #64
Matt-Liell
Long Haired Freaky Person

Location: Sitting in the back of My VW Microbus - In the Great White North
keep up the awsome modelling kman! u r one of the best modellers ive ever seen! that model is better than the samus in super smash bros melee! i only ask 1 question, what program(s) did u use?

A Native Swampie!

Matt-Liell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2002, 08:06 PM   #65
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
Thanks for the imput. I've added a little more room where her buns would be, and tweaked a few more areas. I've split her up and I'm going to finish unwrapping her.

Yadu- I'm using 3ds Max 4
Old 09-18-2002, 08:15 PM   #66
Matt-Liell

thats why it looks awsome! youve got mad skill there kman, one last question. did you buy 3dsm or did u download it. if u downloaded it can u tell me where, but i doubt u did. i dont think u can get it anywhere! i just wanted to know cause i am a skinner but i want to start modelling too!

A Native Swampie!

Old 09-18-2002, 09:08 PM   #67
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
I didn't download it, and I didn't buy it. I didn't have the cash for it, and downloads are usually corrupt or incomplete. I used a copy of the actual install disc.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:12 AM   #68
CheshireKat

Lookin Sweet Kman! Funco had a teaser box out for this I picked up the other day, and the first thing I thought of was you. hehe.

Cant wait to see her done.
CheshireKat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2002, 12:22 AM   #69
Nanodagiardino

I tought you dropped this, glad you didn't. Apart from minor glitches that have already been mentioned, very good job! The only thing that bothers me a tiny bit are her arm; impossibly too far away from her body.

BTW what happened to your Rocketeer?

-Nano
Nanodagiardino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2002, 10:43 AM   #70
hawk_of_war

Quote:
Originally posted by bleek
Did Samus ever have an @$$ in her hard metal suit?
Considering what I saw in Super Metroid, see has to have room for it. Otherwise it would be a very tight squeeze.

Hawk of War
Old 09-20-2002, 02:59 AM   #71
TheWhiteRaider
White as Snow.

Looking very good.

Old 09-20-2002, 12:02 PM   #72
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
Well, something happened to my max file of samus that has completely pooped it out. I can't render it, can't edit uvw map, can't export it to something I can import back clean, and probably a number of other problems. I'm gonna continue messing around with it, and see if there is anything else to do. May have to go back to a very early version and start over.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:55 PM   #73
TheWhiteRaider
White as Snow.

Ouch..

Old 09-20-2002, 04:57 PM   #74
Psynex

you can try an import export game. Import it into another 3d editor like gmax, then export it as an MD3 from gmax to re-import it into max. Something of that nature.
Psynex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2002, 05:03 PM   #75
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
What other programs, other than Max5, can open/load a .max file from 3ds max4? That's where my problem is. I already had one of my buds that has v5 load it up, ,and they were also not able to export it as a .3ds or any other format without it crashing.

This happened after I broke up the model into pieces to begin unwrapping. I may have to try re-attaching everything, then see if it will export. I can't see how it is too complex for max to work with... oh well. I may see if I can find any progs that convert max - maya and vice/versa. Like Polytrans, or something like that. I am still going to try using the max vers at my school (vers 4.3) and see if I can work it over from there.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #76
FluxHavoc

As a lesson next time for modeling, always make backups.

My method is this:

I work on a file, say... my elf model. My naming scheme would be nightelf01.max. About every 30-60 minutes I increment the number and save-as to another file. So later I would have nightelf02.max, nightelf03.max, so on and so forth.

I've gone up to 40s and 50s doing this. Eventually you can delete them all and just keep the latest copy. This method doesn't hog TOO much drive space (max files are generally 1-2megs large). This method really REALLY saved my arse so many times, especially when the stuff I'm working on starts becoming corrupt... I can easily backtrack to an older file and keep working. I'd lose something like 30 minutes of work, but no biggie.
FluxHavoc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2002, 04:57 PM   #77
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, I make backups as well (including the max autobaks) but I do them in shorter increments, and I usualy keep it between 5-10. So it didn't take long for me to go too far. I haven't tried to fix the model yet, been busy with schoolwork (NWN mod development). But not to worry. If I can't get it to work right, I could always start over. Not like I'd wan't to but it would be better than what Ive got now. I just wanted to be able to have it done by the time Metroid Prime is released.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:54 PM   #78
Chris4sox

I may be able to help.......

Thats quite a problem you have there.
I know what it feels like to lose a lot of work, its a pain.
I have been watching the progress on this project for some time now and must say I am quite impressed. your model has turned out better than I first anticipated.
I myself made a model of Samus(non game model), in fact 2 different models, and many other Metroid related models.
You can see my second Samus model here,(and yours is also on that page I see)with some of my other stuff.(The Chris Chicoine ones.)

http://www.classicgaming.com/mdb/fanart03.htm

Anywho, if you cant correct the problem you are having I would be willing to help, as a different version of Max may do the trick, I have versions, R2.5, R3.1, and 4.2. And could try to re-save it/export it there if you like, cause I love SW and I love Metroid, and I wanna see this model a success.

Shamless advertising= www.metroidclassic.com its not my project, but I worked on it a bit, now go.

my email is chris4sox@yahoo/hotmail.com
Chris4sox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2002, 04:45 PM   #79
Matt-Liell

the model was the best ive seen of kmans yet too.....oh man, come on it has to work, he must finish it, it IS his DESTANY!

A Native Swampie!

Old 09-23-2002, 04:47 PM   #80
KMan
The Wu Tang Master

LFN Staff Member 
Ok, good news. I figured out what the problem was.
When I was separating the model into separate objects to unwrap, there was one object (part of the left side of her foot) that was causing the error. So I deleted that, and I can now go back and start the unwrapping process again. Yay.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > Showcase forum > Modelling > Metroid: Samus Aran WIP