lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Damn mods.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-18-2002, 11:27 PM   #1
Caster

Damn mods.

I've been having a hard time trying to find vanilla 1.04 servers.

I think that's one of the things killing this game. So many people want the game (the lightsabers to be exact) to work they're way that they're creating mods.

Too many of them. Too many that they've caused the already small fan base to splinter off to even small ones.

Mods are meant to add to the game. Give it new life, new gameplay and attract more players (The Half-Life community is a good example of that. Number of servers, players and good quality player created models/maps skyrocketed with the release of such things as Team Fortress Classic or Counter-Strike).

However, it seems to me the mods released for Jedi Outcast don't really try to add much. Instead they try to fix things that some people consider problems and other people don't.

Fuel burning space polluting X-Wings!
You probably have seat
belts with those shield of yours!
Caster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2002, 11:34 PM   #2
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Most mods plain suck. The JediMod sucks, well, TRY using the red stance. You start to swing, hold it 2 or 3 second, then swing, hold it down for a 1 or 2 seconds...then you can swing again....ummm.....why? Anyone in real life with a sword would die in an instant.

Only 2 mods I've seen are worth it. JK++ (just because of saber damage), and the best one yet... ProMod (other than the unpushable projectiles)

Current in-game name is #include
RpTheHotrod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2002, 04:13 AM   #3
thehomicidalegg

i like 2 mods, jedimod-to muck around and the customisability (r there such a word???) and promod-for the best gameplay.
thehomicidalegg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2002, 10:36 AM   #4
FatalStrike

Don't blame the Mods! Blame Raven!

Had they not destroyed the game play with their stupid patches, we wouldn't see everyone running away to the latest Mod that offers to ease their suffering.

Its kind of like how poverty assisted the spread of communism

Battlefield 1942........
FatalStrike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2002, 03:14 PM   #5
ArtifeX

I agree with Fatal. Had there been nothing wrong with the game in the first place, all the "tweak" mods would never have been released.

Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2002, 05:45 PM   #6
Revan Bakr'

As to Jedimod, the only part of that that should have happened was the saber color mod and the emotes. Everything else crapped out the game. And all these idiots running around with giant models and tiny models? What's with that?

--------------------Revan Bakr'
Sithopath

Revan: Sometimes I feel like you don't know me at all. (Lightsaber ignites) (Slices) And now, you never will. HAHAHAHAHA!

"Austin..... I am your father."
"Really?"
"No, not really. I can't back that up."

http://www.boomspeed.com/jakobo48/Al_sig2.jpg [URL]
Revan Bakr' is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2002, 11:24 PM   #7
crazyplaya73

Quote:
And all these idiots running around with giant models and tiny models? What's with that?
That's the server admin allowing things that he should not allow. He should not allow people to resize themselves. People will abuse this. Jedimod can be extreemly fun and ballanced if it is setup correctly.
crazyplaya73 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2002, 01:10 AM   #8
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

It's not really Raven's fault. They put a lot of work in to this game and it turned out well, great. It's easily 3x better than JK1 and Jk1 was top drawer. The stickler is that everyone has a different idea of how a jedi battle should be like. Some people want it as "real" as possible (like me) and others want it as "playable" as possible (FatalStrike). Nether one of us is wrong, we just have different opinions on how it should play like. Raven had to make it as accessible as they could, so, they made the game a comp. between playability and realism.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2002, 01:13 AM   #9
Revan Bakr'

I agree with razorace. But I am glad that Raven made it so changeable. This way we can do anything with this game. While this has a dark side, it was a good decision in the long run. However, I do enjoy realistic combat over midgets hopping around like retards.

--------------------Revan Bakr'
Sithopath

Revan: Sometimes I feel like you don't know me at all. (Lightsaber ignites) (Slices) And now, you never will. HAHAHAHAHA!

"Austin..... I am your father."
"Really?"
"No, not really. I can't back that up."

http://www.boomspeed.com/jakobo48/Al_sig2.jpg [URL]
Revan Bakr' is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2002, 01:16 AM   #10
JEDI OUTCAST

2 mods i like are. Desann To Vader And real_lightsaber_patch_v1_0

JEDI OUTCAST

JEDI OUTCAST is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2002, 09:46 AM   #11
FatalStrike

One quick comment:

Playable = great reviews
Real = Half the players up and quit

nuff said

Battlefield 1942........
Old 08-20-2002, 10:48 AM   #12
zerowingzero

Quote:
Originally posted by Revan Bakr'
However, I do enjoy realistic combat over midgets hopping around like retards.
You have been sig'd
zerowingzero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #13
Chaynsaw

I think the biggest problem with what Raven did is that they released a patch that completely altered the physics of the game.

Whatever version they released at first, they should've stuck with. We keep "getting what we wish for", a complete level-off of all the spam/cheap/whore moves, a lumberjack patch that bitterly divided the game community and caused its numbers to dwindle.

Normally patches fix bugs. Rarely do they ever change the way a game is played.
Chaynsaw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2002, 11:14 AM   #14
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaynsaw
I think the biggest problem with what Raven did is that they released a patch that completely altered the physics of the game.

Whatever version they released at first, they should've stuck with. We keep "getting what we wish for", a complete level-off of all the spam/cheap/whore moves, a lumberjack patch that bitterly divided the game community and caused its numbers to dwindle.

Normally patches fix bugs. Rarely do they ever change the way a game is played.
Finally someone who understands how things should work.

Raven released a game that got good reviews for MP, then they changed it to a game that every first time player hates, and a game that half of long time players rejected.

I'm teling you, if Raven had released the game with V1.04 instead of v1.02 half of us would not be here talking about it.

Battlefield 1942........
Old 08-20-2002, 09:01 PM   #15
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Quote:
Originally posted by FatalStrike
One quick comment:

Playable = great reviews
Real = Half the players up and quit

nuff said
I'm not sure what world you're from but the more realistic (to a point) games don't scary people off. Rather, it's the learning curve that sometimes comes with more realism that puts people off.

IMO, frankly, I found 1.02 to be pretty much unplayable. I wanted to fight with a system similar to SP, but that was not the case in 1.02. Hit detection was crap and you never visially blocked another person's saber blade. It felt like I was just swinging my saber around hoping to hit to other guy's shields instead of a skilled and powerful jedi. In that aspect, 1.03 improved MP 3 fold. Now, you can whine about it as much as you want, but you CAN alter the code back to 1.02's gameplay if you actually prefer it that way.
Quote:
I'm teling you, if Raven had released the game with V1.04 instead of v1.02 half of us would not be here talking about it.
Yeah, cause you'd be playing the game the way it is instead of whining about it. You've already voted with your gaming dollars. If you don't like the game, return it or don't buy it in the first place.

Old 08-20-2002, 09:22 PM   #16
MysticSpade
awaiting the Unknown

the whole deal with the Resizing capabilities of JediMod was to Resize Yoda. I like the Emotes, and RGB parameters and havin yoda at the right height which is 0.35 for height and 0.55 for saber. the preset is wrong 0.56 he still is way too tall. But i have never played on a server with ProMod nor have I seen a site with ProMod to DL.

XBL GT: MysticSpade
MysticSpade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2002, 09:35 PM   #17
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. Yoda would be shorter than most players' kneecaps. Can you imagine fighting against a person that short in the game? That would be insane!

Old 08-20-2002, 09:38 PM   #18
zerowingzero

http://www.jediknightii.net/files/in...nk=file&id=826 the file

http://www.oculis.org/promod/ offical site

http://promod.moddb.com/ file updates

Happy fraging
Old 08-20-2002, 09:55 PM   #19
MysticSpade
awaiting the Unknown

thanks for the links man but i'm happy with my JediMod also since i see that you r a Gundam Wing fan do u know how Wing Zero became the Wing Zero custom. In the final episodes of the GundamWing show he still has the steel wings. And in Endless Waltz he has the custom Angelic wings.

Old 08-20-2002, 10:13 PM   #20
Rad Blackrose
Banned

Quote:
IMO, frankly, I found 1.02 to be pretty much unplayable. I wanted to fight with a system similar to SP, but that was not the case in 1.02. Hit detection was crap and you never visially blocked another person's saber blade. It felt like I was just swinging my saber around hoping to hit to other guy's shields instead of a skilled and powerful jedi. In that aspect, 1.03 improved MP 3 fold. Now, you can whine about it as much as you want, but you CAN alter the code back to 1.02's gameplay if you actually prefer it that way.
Actually, hit detection in 1.03 was utter crap compared to 1.02. Almost like they took a step backwards rather then forwards.

Quote:
Yeah, cause you'd be playing the game the way it is instead of whining about it. You've already voted with your gaming dollars. If you don't like the game, return it or don't buy it in the first place.
God bless gaming magazines... wait a damn minute, they never covered JK2MP! Damn them!
Rad Blackrose is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2002, 11:03 PM   #21
zerowingzero

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticSpade
thanks for the links man but i'm happy with my JediMod also since i see that you r a Gundam Wing fan do u know how Wing Zero became the Wing Zero custom. In the final episodes of the GundamWing show he still has the steel wings. And in Endless Waltz he has the custom Angelic wings.
Actually my name was a repeating typo, and yes, i've watched GW, for the *shock horror* story! Anyway Promod is where it's at for better saber combat and skill while jedimod is more for screwing around and, well read the sig.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:34 PM   #22
Caster

Quote:
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

Actually, hit detection in 1.03 was utter crap compared to 1.02. Almost like they took a step backwards rather then forwards.
You mean light sabers are suppose to easily pass straight through each other?

We're talking about Star Wars right?

You probably have seat
Old 08-21-2002, 01:55 AM   #23
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticSpade
You'll notice that ALL the Gundams are different in Endless Waltz. There's no explaination. I think it's a "They were always that way, you just didn't see it correctly." sort of deal.

Old 08-21-2002, 07:36 AM   #24
MysticSpade
awaiting the Unknown

yeah but the CUSTOM in WIN ZERO CUSTOM means they were customized somewhere along the timeline. Same with DeathSythe Custom and so on.

Old 08-21-2002, 09:54 AM   #25
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by razorace

Everyone is allowed an opinion.

However when 1.02 was released I voted with my $$ and I voted 1.02.

With 1.03 and 1.04 half the players and servers vanished. So you can think whatever you want about how horrible 1.02 was but the FACT remains that it was more appealing to gamers then 1.03 which shrank the community or 1.04 which has shattered the community into Mod tribes.

1.02 was unpalyable to you because it was HARD to win. 1.04 you don't even have to worry about your own blocking!

Also you can't take things back to 1.02 levels because you can't unnerf everything. Face it, in the process of making it more real, Raven turned a very difficult fast paced game into a slow pillow fight.

Battlefield 1942........
Old 08-21-2002, 10:00 AM   #26
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Caster

You mean light sabers are suppose to easily pass straight through each other?

You mean sabers are supposed to do less damage then a kick?

Battlefield 1942........
Old 08-21-2002, 02:01 PM   #27
Caster

Quote:

You mean sabers are supposed to do less damage then a kick?

What does that have to do with light saber hit detection?

Anyway, I do agree that kick damage should be lowered. Though I'm fine with the saber damage in 1.04. 1 hit with heavy. 2 or 3 with medium. 5 or 6 with light.

You probably have seat
Old 08-21-2002, 02:31 PM   #28
IRN_Matrox

Re: Damn mods.

Quote:
Originally posted by Caster
I've been having a hard time trying to find vanilla 1.04 servers.
I dunno if you're just saying that to reflect upon the fact that the community is "shattered into mod tribes" as one put it, or really are having trouble finding those servers lol - if that's the case, use the All-Seeing Eye - http://udpsoft.com/eye/ it lets you select What version, what mod (or none at all), saber only or not, FF or NF, and more. Makes it incredibly easy to find exactly the kind of game you're looking for.

IRN_Matrox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2002, 05:09 PM   #29
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Quote:
Everyone is allowed an opinion.

Well, of course.
However when 1.02 was released I voted with my $$ and I voted 1.02.
Quote:
With 1.03 and 1.04 half the players and servers vanished. So you can think whatever you want about how horrible 1.02 was but the FACT remains that it was more appealing to gamers then 1.03 which shrank the community or 1.04 which has shattered the community into Mod tribes.
Just because you believe a lot of people left because of the patches doesn't automatically make it true. I imagine people left for a varity of reasons: boredom, lack of time, etc.
Quote:
1.02 was unpalyable to you because it was HARD to win. 1.04 you don't even have to worry about your own blocking!
Oh brother...Not that arguement, again. I did prefectly fine in 1.02. I'm a fairly good JK2 player, but I play for fun, not to win.
Quote:
Also you can't take things back to 1.02 levels because you can't unnerf everything. Face it, in the process of making it more real, Raven turned a very difficult fast paced game into a slow pillow fight.
Why can't you unnerf everything? If Raven coded it in, you should be able to code it out. Or you could always just play it without the patches. As for the "slow pillow fight", that's due to lag. If you play the game in a lag free eniv., you can easily kill a unskilled player in a few swings of your saber in any of the stances.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Damn mods.