lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: How to make a jk2 movie
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-11-2003, 11:28 PM   #41
TK_Nutritious

Hmm, haven't encountered that problem yet, I'll post at some movie forums see if I can find out

TK_Nutritious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2003, 11:54 PM   #42
Smood

THANK YOU!

You are one of the most helpful people I have met on these forums, or anywhere for that matter! I will pay you back with anything you may need if I can.

- DIABLO
[jediknightii.net staff]
Smood is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2003, 11:02 AM   #43
griff38

maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by Smood
I'm getting a strange error when using the sync, and record commands, it occurs when I type the record command itself.

ERROR is as follows

==========================

CL_set Cgame time

!CL.Snap.valid

==========================

And then it doesnt record. However, if I restart the match and attempt to record, it works. Then once I stop and try to record again I get the error. Please help, thanks.

I used to get that error, but I never found out what was causing it. Are you using a recorder script? Once I started using this one I never got the error again.

griff38 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #44
TK_Nutritious

This is a response I got from another forum:
Quote:
I don't know what those errors mean, but in Q3A you need to do
g_synchronousclients 1; record; g_synchronousclients 0
You can leave out setting it to 0 but it's better for movement.
I know your errors don't refer to these settings specifically, but they may be the equivalent in JK2, so you could try them. Alternatively find the equivalent commands for JK2, if they are different.
You say that after it restarts it works, though, so I don't know, it could be a graphics driver problem, cause restarting can be a video restart (vid_restart).

The !CL,Snap.valid, I have 2 guesses for. It could be a screenshots problem, where "snap" refers to a screenshot. Maybe he has screenshotjpeg switched on - so it saves screenshots as jpegs instead of tgas - and that is the problem. My other guess is it could be something to do with his /snaps setting, which is to do with network conenctions. Try the default snaps setting (type /snaps and press Enter and it will tell you the default aswell as the current value, same as with any command).
judging from griff's and this reply, you might wanna take a look at the recording script you're using (assuming you are using one), to make sure it's imputting the correct commands.

Old 04-12-2003, 10:24 PM   #45
Smood

actually I wasnt using a script but ill try using that one... thanks

- DIABLO
[jediknightii.net staff]
Smood is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2003, 10:22 AM   #46
griff38

Thumbs up Suprised

In the last 60 days my 3 Jedi Outcast movies have been downloaded 2664 times!

More to come?

Old 04-28-2003, 12:46 AM   #47
deathofall

hey hey guys check out the movie i made...i put some red guards in.....soooooo cool ...plz tell me how it is
peace
http://www.don't-do-this-again.com

EDIT Taos - Please don't post a link such as this one again. Thanks.

Last edited by Leemu Taos; 04-28-2003 at 01:52 AM.
deathofall is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2003, 10:12 PM   #48
Blademaster_109

Quote:
Originally posted by Break_dF
Thanks Nut. I'm a fan of your movie. One quick question though...the cl_avidemo 20 is typed into the beginning console? or in game...how is this viewed w/out actually being in-game?
sounds good but where can i get ur movie.

Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to Power. Power leads to Victory. Rage Channeled through aggression is unstoppable. the dark side offers unimaginable power. the dark side is stronger than the light.- OXM ADD

"Chinese people like to think of themselves as yello"-my chinese friend peter

"I am the unknow Jedi"-me
Blademaster_109 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2003, 07:46 AM   #49
Tosh_UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
sounds good but where can i get ur movie.
look at his sig, it has links to his movies

Game Name: Ranger
Tosh_UK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2003, 08:56 AM   #50
Master Dark Bla

Thx TK_Nutritious, I always wanted to know how to do this. You have saved my life

Come with me to the dark side jedi... Or die below my blade!
Plz donate me some credits LOL
If you have a website register it at www.dot.tk with the coupon number 25504 and you have done me a BIG favour!!!
Master Dark Bla is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2003, 08:42 AM   #51
Melvin.FoX

If U are so smart Johnny boy, so tell me why this script don't work in JK2 since in Q3 work:

set demfastf "timescale 2; bind rightarrow vstr demsuperff"
set demsuperff "timescale 10; bind rightarrow vstr demfastf"
set demslowmo "timescale 0.5; bind rightarrow vstr demfastf"
set dempause "timescale 0.3; bind rightarrow vstr demfastf"
set demnormal "timescale 1; bind rightarrow vstr demfastf"
timescale "1"
bind rightarrow "demfastf"
bind uparrow "demnormal"
bind downarrow "dempause"
bind leftarrow "demslowmo"
set startavi "cl_avidemo 25; bind kp_uparrow vstr stopavi"
set stopavi "cl_avidemo 0; bind kp_uparrow vstr startavi"
vstr stopavi
set r_mode "3"
set cg_drawfps "0"
set cg_fov "90"
//set cg_draw2d "0"
set cg_drawgun "0"
set s_initsound "0"
snd_restart

I was recording demos in q3 on this script and i can rewind demo in both ways. JK2 is little strange I think :| This is on q3 engine or not?!

-=Melvin.FoX=-
The Fear is my allied...
Melvin.FoX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2003, 06:38 PM   #52
TK_Nutritious

the reason the script wont' work is the way jk2's demo viewer was set up. On q3 engine you could assign slowmo and fastforward etc. to buttons and press them while viewing the demo. On jk2 if you press any button or mouse key while the demo is playing it will exit you out of the demo. It's just bad design, sorry :/

The only thing you can really do about it is set up scripts that will fast forward or slowmo at a certain point in the demo. They're pretty difficult to set up and use but if you really want to learn how you can catch me on instant messenger: Nutritious414

Old 06-30-2003, 06:17 AM   #53
Melvin.FoX

That is why I think that the jk2 engine is **** up! I dont have msn. Maybe IRC?

-=Melvin.FoX=-
The Fear is my allied...
Melvin.FoX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2003, 06:51 AM   #54
Semicolon

Yeah get IRC...it's pretty cool!

Semicolon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2003, 04:11 PM   #55
TK_Nutritious

Quote:
Originally posted by Melvin.FoX
That is why I think that the jk2 engine is **** up! I dont have msn. Maybe IRC?
I emailed some of the raven developers about the problems with the demo viewer and they said they'd look into fixing it for jk3. You can sometimes catch me on IRC on irc.quakenet.org #jk2-community

Old 07-11-2003, 03:29 AM   #56
Lil Killa
lunatic

Pistolero rulz anyway my question........

how do u add effect and stuff? like if i want to have a fade or something.

and in pestolero did u use editing softwar to put all of those clips together or did u just group your pics so that they ran together? also how did u get it to slow down and then fastforaward? soz if u think i'm asking too many questions but I wanna know how you do all this stuff.

Lil Killa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2003, 05:11 PM   #57
TK_Nutritious

It depends what effects you're refering to. As far as fading in and out and transitions, I did those in Premiere. A few effects can be done with the jk2 engine but most of mine were from premiere, which includes fast forwarding and slowmo. Technically you could do slowmotion straight from jk2 by adjusting cl_avidemo to a higher number for just a small section of the video (say cl_avidemo 60), and then create the video at 30 fps which would give you 50% slowmo for that section. However, it's can be time consuming and you can't really time it specifically to shots.

My first video, Nutritious.avi, was done completely with simpler programs like pjbmp2avi and ACDSee (even windows paint for the inverted colors) so it's a good example of a few effects you can easily pull off without complicated programs.

Old 08-20-2003, 10:42 PM   #58
Kodaichi Kuno

This is great, I'll be the second star wars kid!!!

Kodaichi Kuno is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2004, 05:18 PM   #59
NoaNet
Rookie

Ahenm

STIIIIIIIIIICKY!OH LET IT BE STUCKEN!
NoaNet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #60
Bilbo Skywalker

it IS stickied....

For all your current and upcoming Star Wars needs come too...

[size=big]echonetwork[/size]

Check out my CTF guide for JA Here
Bilbo Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2004, 03:08 PM   #61
Chiraen
Rookie

Question

Hey Nutritious, how do you change camera angles?. I know you do it when you watch the demo. But when i try to press a key in a demo, i just leave it. plz help

Thx.
Chiraen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2004, 02:36 PM   #62
TK_Nutritious

Right, the reason that happens is that they set the demo viewer to exit demo playback after any key is pressed (I really don't know why as the original quake demo viewer let you use certain keys during demo viewing). Anyway, the only way to get new angles is to either set them before viewing the demo or to write a script that will adjust camera angles during playback.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:53 AM   #63
hkoi
Lurker

I have a really good suggestion as far as programs that load JPG... you might want to look into download Virtual Dub, or VirtualDubMod, they are really the greatest programs for encoding any video source. It will load jpgs seqs. and just about anything else. If VDub can't load it, you can write an AVISynth script and make a .avs file, and that will allow vdub to open it.

google VirtualDub or VirtualDubMob or check out SourceForge.net to get this awesome freeware opensource video editing application.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubmod/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/

Edit: Is there a way to fast forward in a demo? or start from a specific point or frame#?
and can I output the screenshots to a different directory or drive?

Last edited by hkoi; 04-05-2004 at 05:41 PM.
hkoi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2004, 07:21 PM   #64
hkoi
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by TK_Nutritious
well that's not really the problem, it's not about hard drive space... The problem is when you get to the screenshot limit of 10000. Folders won't allow you to have that many files in one folder. So if you use cl_avidemo 50 you'd only be able to do about.... (does math) 2:20 worth of a demo before running outta room.
how can I clear my screenshots info? I ran intot he max # and now I can't make any more demos... Is there a way to reset it? I've been deleteing the screenshots but it still starts at the last used # instead of the last existing file#.

-------------------------------------------------------------

ignore that... I realized it resets after you exit JK2.
i got down just about everything involving the demo->avi/other video container conversions and I just saw Nutri's "tricky" video... It was pretty good, I already knew all of that though, and you didn't really go into the cool map secrets like walking on the roof of NS Streets and all that. You also didn't do any of the saber tricks... Maybe I'll make a nice demo vid and show you my stuff... also... 100mb is kinda big for 3 mins of video and audio, don't you agree? i have a 4 minute demo recorded that's 30mb without audio... +audio ~ 34mb I'm thinking. You have to compress your audio source into mp3 or ogg maybe. Mp3 is the most popular though, so I'd go with that. And the framesize of the video was really big, too... the video was pixelated at certain points.. if you shrink framesize and increase bitrate quality should go up and it'll stay around the same size, maybe smaller.

That's all for now, and thanks for the idea =]

Last edited by hkoi; 04-06-2004 at 10:57 PM.
hkoi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2004, 12:27 AM   #65
TK_Nutritious

Heh tricky was made a really long time ago when most people hadn't seen/done those tricks before then. As for vid quality/editing etc. it was one of my first vids and I've come a really long way since then as far as my editing ability and compression knowledge. I've long since stopped playing JO or JA, currently working on a big q3 video for this summer.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:46 AM   #66
jtloper
Lurker

help

I get an unknow command error when entering /cl_avidemo 20

Any ideas?

thanks
jtloper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2004, 03:01 AM   #67
Khier

Okay, I go into a server. Open up the console. Type in:
/g_synchronousclients 1
then
/record
but then it just disconnects me from the server and I get the following error message:

Cl_SetCGameTime:
!cl.snap.valid

I get the feeling I missed something simple yet crucial here, can somebody help?
Khier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #68
griff38

Thumbs up script recorder

You need a recorder script. IF you had read the all the post in this thread you would see the problem has been addressed before. In one of my post above was a link to a recorder script but the website no longer has it.

Search the remaining jko sites for a recorder script by TK_BIOHAZRD.

This will correct the error.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 PM   #69
Chipsmoker
Lurker

emm, i have a question. When you put in g_synchronousclients 1 into Jedi Outcast, does it affect your gameplay any? Because when i do it in Jedi Academy, it gets really really laggy, and pretty much the only kills i get are from luck and i usually run into my own mines....which missed the wall (quit moving you) and landed on the floor...

when i type in g_synchronousclients 0, the gameplay goes back to normal. Is that normal? Or is it just something about Jedi Academy?

"Nothing like war to bring folks together."

Mara Jade Skywalker- The Unifying Force
Chipsmoker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #70
TK_Nutritious

Yes that's normal. It's just an oddity with the quake 3 engine where it requires you to put synch to 1, turn on record, and put it back to 0. It will continue to record after it is put on 0 and will eliminate the performance hit. I definately wouldn't recommend trying to play with g_synch 1 on .

edit: reread your question: it's normal for both games it's just jedi academny is more resource intensive so you probly notice it more when doing it in JA then in JO. There's no reason to play with it on though, just begin recording and turn it back off. Better yet, find a demo script that'll do it for you (quake 3 one's work just fine).

Old 08-05-2004, 05:35 AM   #71
Chipsmoker
Lurker

So, then, put in g_synchronousclients 1, type record, then turn g_synchronousclients 0? And that will allow me to play with normal speed and everything?

Old 08-06-2004, 08:43 PM   #72
killergibbo
Lurker

yea thats right
erm i wanna know how to get all the writin of the screen wen recordin so its not there wen u watch it but i want the talkin typing seen anyhelp plz
killergibbo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2004, 10:25 PM   #73
TK_Nutritious

Chipsmoker: yes
killergibbo: /cg_draw2d 0

Old 08-09-2004, 03:50 AM   #74
Chipsmoker
Lurker

Thanks, Nutri. Umm, when i have my Screenshots, and i click on create a preview movie (using Videomach) it makes the thing, but then when it plays nothing appears on the screen. It is confusing me! Aaargh!

Old 08-10-2004, 01:47 AM   #75
TK_Nutritious

Well personally I'm not familiar with videomach but I may be able to help with some more info. What type of codec & settings did you use to create the vid? Include any other pertinent info you can think of.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #76
killergibbo
Lurker

yea ive used that software thta ur talkin about now and i saved it as a avi file now its a little preview a nast of the movie and its nearly the size of a whole real film 256mb lol
thats not right i need help asap lol plz by puting that in console does it take the writin away but does it show it wen u watch the demo
Old 08-15-2004, 01:14 AM   #77
Chipsmoker
Lurker

Okees, thank you guys! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

And Nutri, i downloaded Pistolero and it KICKS ASS!!! NICE JOB!!! I really liked the midair snipes! heh heh, too bad i cant snipe midair......is it something with the server? that lets you charge in midair?

Old 08-15-2004, 02:16 AM   #78
TK_Nutritious

Thanks for the comments . You can charge the sniper rifle as long as you're no longer moving up in your jump and not hitting any directional buttons. So once you've hit the peak of your jump you can zoom in and start charging while you fall. On a few clips in Pistolero I'm moving up while charging, this was done in a mod called promod which isn't around anymore.

Old 08-15-2004, 06:40 AM   #79
killergibbo
Lurker

does any1 know how i can make my preview demo smaller whats the best file type (avi,etc)

and what other things can i do to make these files smaller cos ive got a file thats only 4 mins long and its a 256mb file and that takes the mike lol anyhelp plz ill really be happy plus my clan will get off my back about the movie thanks all
Old 08-15-2004, 09:02 PM   #80
TK_Nutritious

Personally I prefer the .avi file type. To get a video file size to be smaller you need to compress it with a codec (divx & xvid seem to be the most popular). You can get the divx codec if you don't already have it at www.divx.com, however, the free one download gain adware so it'd probly be better to do a search for a codec pack. I'll have to look it up at home if you want a link to a good codec pack.

Anyway, I don't know what program you're using, but there should be a section that has a part about video compression or codec. Find where you can use codec and choose divx. Once you select it you can configure the divx settings to higher quality (high filesize) to low quality (lower filesize). This is really an oversimplification of the process but hopefully you get the general idea. Let me know if/how I can help you further.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > How to make a jk2 movie