lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: WIP: Mace Windu
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-20-2002, 11:50 PM   #1
Toonces
Raise Hand If Sure!

WIP: Mace Windu

Since I sorta made a mess in the Qui-Gon thread with one of my side projects (It's not a side project anymore) KMan asked me to start a new thread.

Anyway, for those who haven't seen it yet

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount...3/mace-fin.jpg
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/mace1.jpg
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/mace2.jpg
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/mace3.jpg
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/mace4.jpg
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/mace5.jpg

I'm still tweaking the geometry, Arco is doing the skin

Toonces is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2002, 11:51 PM   #2
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
yay finally the mace has its own thread

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2002, 11:52 PM   #3
Sam

The eyes are a bit weird but everything else looks good.

Nobodys prefect perfect
Sam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 12:07 AM   #4
Professor Snape

aight good. Now we will see the qui gon and this. Are u gonna make a thread for obi wan

I can teach you how to bewitch the mind, and ensnare the senses, I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in Death. -Professor Snape
Professor Snape is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 12:09 AM   #5
MysticSpade
awaiting the Unknown

hey toonces i actually think the eyes are fine. everything else i like as well the model is very nice indeed. good work.

XBL GT: MysticSpade
MysticSpade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 01:25 AM   #6
Scotchy

The eyes definately need to be a bit bigger... and closer together. Check some reference shots of mace and chack against them... the eyes definately need to be bigger.

Looking awesome otherwise. Keep up the good work toonces.
Scotchy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 03:17 AM   #7
skywalker19

Toonces,how in the heck do you manage all these projects at once?! It's mind boggling lol
skywalker19 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 05:53 AM   #8
jaybiggspr

Lookin Nice!

2 crits I have, although they arent that big of a deal, are that his skin *might be a shade too dark but it might just be the pic, and maybe you could smooth out the textures on his robes. Like I said they really arent that important to me and I want to say good work. Looking forward! BTW I know this is off topic but where the pickles are all of the JKII servers these days?

jaybiggspr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 05:56 AM   #9
12thMonkey

I think the actual white in his eyes is to bright and this makes him look shocked. Also the brown in his eyes is to light.

Mace Windu

12thMonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 06:32 AM   #10
Arco

on those shots i think he is using the old eye texture. apart from the one by me. I'm sorry toonces I forgot to send you teh new one.

Toonces is a very busy man... I am surprised he finds time for all this tweekage. But then I have no time whatsoever due to my 10 or so skining projects. I think me an Toonces like to do lots of stuff at once... either that or we are crazy!

I will update both this and the obiwan thread today...

Arco

"In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight..."
Arco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 07:14 AM   #11
AKPiggott

Hey Toonces, looks good so far. I have a favour to ask though. Can you please add facial bones to it? I'm in fairly desperate need of a fully posable Mace Windu for my SP level. Cheers.

Enter the Dark Lord, coming soon. Watch the Teaser Trailer.
AKPiggott is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 07:40 AM   #12
Enjoi9187

the nostrils need to be at more of an angle, so u can kinda see up his nose, and the bridge of the nose needs to be farther apart along with the eyes. Maybe try to accent his jawline a bit more and make his forehead (his eyebrow line) protrude a tad.

Enjoi9187 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 07:42 AM   #13
Arco

toonces is rigging it for facial animation. I think he does that with all his models. Cos he is a dude.

new skinage soon.

Arco

Old 10-21-2002, 09:25 AM   #14
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Lee
I think the actual white in his eyes is to bright and this makes him look shocked. Also the brown in his eyes is to light.

Mace Windu
That link doesn't work for me.

::sniffs the air:: Mmm, fresh thread.

-Anakin

Eldritch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 09:34 AM   #15
Arco

ok update. I have done an icon of him and here is a shot of teh finished skin. I am still gonna tweek a few things on his face but I think that to make it look more like him toonces needs to do some more tweeks. Maybe elongate the head a bit to thin it out... make the jaw a little bit pointier. and for sure fix the shape of the head... not to worry toonces I will talk to you later about it.

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount...on_default.jpg

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount...e-body-fin.jpg

Arco

Old 10-21-2002, 09:39 AM   #16
Darth Loki

nice, arco. elongating the head a little should be beneficial. his head still looks a little bulbous to me (though, this may be because he's bald)...

Darth Loki, Sith Lord
Darth Loki is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 10:01 AM   #17
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

His lips should be moved up closer to the end of his nose.

Reference pic : http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/mul...g.jpg&img=&tt=

Old 10-21-2002, 11:23 AM   #18
MysticSpade
awaiting the Unknown

thx for the update ARCO glad to see it. the skinwork is great. also u and Toonces make a godly team.

XBL GT: MysticSpade
MysticSpade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 12:19 PM   #19
Professor Snape

holy jar jar that was fast.

I can teach you how to bewitch the mind, and ensnare the senses, I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in Death. -Professor Snape
Professor Snape is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 12:22 PM   #20
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
u and Toonces make
a godly team.
I'll second that

I just can't wait for this and the other models to be released. It looks like Mace and Qui-Gon are really close now. Has there been an updated estimate of a release timeframe? Are we looking at days, weeks, or months? No pressure of course, I'd much rather they be done properly (which they obviously are) than rushed out. I'm just wondering if I'm getting my hopes up expecting Mace to be released soon, because it looks really close. Is there much more work that needs to be done?

Just wondering. Your awesome models bring out the impatience in me!
Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 01:56 PM   #21
_NinjaGaiden_

Ok I Dont Mean to Pick but The head Shape is a little off and the jedi robes are a tad too light but other than that it looks pretty good .......one question why does Klorels Skins look a lot smoother?

The Ninja Dragon
_NinjaGaiden_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 02:01 PM   #22
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

Quote:
Originally posted by _NinjaGaiden_
Ok I Dont Mean to Pick but The head Shape is a little off and the jedi robes are a tad too light but other than that it looks pretty good .......one question why does Klorels Skins look a lot smoother?
Because Arco skinned this version. They're not using Klorel's skins.

I do agree the outer robes are a bit too light and the fabric too rough... the inner robe though is a light cream color, but it hardly is seen - perhaps modify it a bit?

-Anakin

:EDIT: Toonces, I wish you would consider using a different model to base the body on - not trying to knock Tex's work but it's not the most accurate jedi attire...

Old 10-21-2002, 02:24 PM   #23
Toonces
Raise Hand If Sure!

Looks great Arco I love the icon

Anakin_S I'm just wondering how off you think the body is? I remodeled the hips and he belt, as well as make a couple of tweaks for accuracy. I was thinking of using either Kit's body or completely making a new one but I thought with a couple of changes the body is pretty accurate. I still have some proportional changes to make.

AKPiggott, I wouldn't release any model without adding the facial bones, so fear not

Have some tweaks to make still on the head, I would have made them last night but I got sleepy

Old 10-21-2002, 03:00 PM   #24
skywalker19

Here's another couple reference pic's for the face,although i think it's pretty close now.

Ref. Pic 1

Ref. Pic 2

hope these can help in some sorta way.

ARCO,great job btw

edit:found some more ref pics,mainly for the robe/body . For these last 3,copy and paste the shortcut,its geo****ies i tellz ya.

Ref. Pic 3

Ref. Pic 4

Ref. Pic 5

Last edited by skywalker19; 10-21-2002 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:01 PM   #25
inbredyokel

I think the big problem with Tex's model when used with Mace is that his clothing looks too exaggerated. Take the shoulders, for example. On the last body shot, they look very wide and pointed, almost super-hero like. If you look at shots of sam in aotc, you can see that his clothing is really baggy, and it almost melts of his shoulders and hangs over his belt quite a bit. I think that's also a major problem with the sleeves, which look really narrow. Klorel got it about right on his mace(and misterpunch on plo), you just have to resign to the fact that the cuffs point backwards a little when his arms are down. Overall, it just looks too well-fitting and not very comfortable.
Another thing I noticed(but this might be addressed when you reshape the head) is that his neck is waaay too long and thin, and I see this on obi as well. Samuel L Jackson has a very thick and short neck, and the lower part of his head is also much wider.

As always, awsome work from both of you. It'll just take a little time to capture such a distinctive likeness. And, I don't mean to sound threatening, but if you mess up Mace I'm going to have to start making threats
inbredyokel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 03:19 PM   #26
keo718
Jedi Council

I think I've said everything I can say about Mace. Its all in the Qui-Gon thread.

As far as his face, I did this quick paint over of the first base skin(geometry was the focus).

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/mace2.jpg

Asked for his clothes, look at this pic.

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/obiwan_mace_ani.jpg

*copy & paste both*

Make those adjustments, and he'll be done. That is all the feedback I have.

"Do or do not. There is no try."

Custom Avatar made by Aru-Wen
keo718 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 03:21 PM   #27
Toonces
Raise Hand If Sure!

The shoulders were one of the proportional changes I still have yet to make, I agree they are a little pointy I'm actually making some tweaks now, trying to get the clothing right. I'll post some shots in a little bit

edit: About the robe, there are two things I can do, I can make a completely new model for just the robed version (like MP did with Plo Koon) or I can attach a robe to the current model. (like Tyrion) I chose the latter to save some time, the tradeoff is that there is no way I can make the robe look quite as good as it did in the movie, the animation system doesnt support anything like that currently so I have to build the robe around the model and adjust for clipping. This will make the robe quite bulky

Last edited by Toonces; 10-21-2002 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:45 PM   #28
12thMonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

That link doesn't work for me.

::sniffs the air:: Mmm, fresh thread.

-Anakin
It works fine for me.

12thMonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 05:11 PM   #29
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Toonces
Looks great Arco I love the icon

Anakin_S I'm just wondering how off you think the body is? I remodeled the hips and he belt, as well as make a couple of tweaks for accuracy. I was thinking of using either Kit's body or completely making a new one but I thought with a couple of changes the body is pretty accurate.
I think Kit's body is better than Qui-Gon's, but that's just my personal opinion.

As far as the accuracy thing, here it goes:
The shoulders are too wide (even for Liam, but especially for Sam).

The Kimono (layer underneath the tabards) seems to be wrapped too tightly. Keo's second reference pic shows this well... there's another layer of clothing that is barely seen because the two parts of the kimono cross each other much higher than they should.

The sleeves in the model seem to be one width for the entire arm... they should start smaller near the shoulder and be quite open and wide by the time they get to the wrist. As it was stated, this will make the cuffs point backwards when standing still, but how often do you stand still while playing, huh?

The belt should be thicker (again, observe Keo's second reference pic - look how much area of the sash the belt covers) and Mace carries around those food capsules, which are absent from the model (but could be skinned fairly easily, I suppose). The pouches on the belt are the same as the ones Anakin uses... -Tercero- has already modeled the pouches for use on his Anakin model, so perhaps you could use those?

The tabards should be slightly less wide above the belt, and be the same width below it... the model's tabards are skinny below the belt and then curve and fan out. As the tabards are not seperate, they should be the same width, and should not curve and fan out. Sam's tabards in the movie went straight down and were pretty centered, so they should be brought in closer together.

From the little of the legs I see it appears they narrow too much before meeting the boot, but i'd need to see more pics to be sure. Also, those aren't Sam's boots.

Last but not least, on the subject of the Robe... Mace's robe sleeves are longer even then the Emperor's (I can get a reference pic to show you if you need it), and I think it would look too silly if you modeled the robe the way it's shown (think of the Emperor's backwards cuffs but WORSE), so you can either modify it or not model it at all (my vote - not every Jedi model has to have a robe, and especially since there's no clothing animation...).

Anyway, I think those are the main points on accuracy.
I think it would be cool also to model the lightsaber onto his belt... this is being done by Edward Peretti on the Mara Jade model and it looks great. It's something to consider...

-Anakin

Old 10-21-2002, 05:15 PM   #30
keo718
Jedi Council

One last comment, his eyes need to be bigger in uniform scale and closer together like I had previously mentioned.

Quote:
Last but not least, on the subject of the Robe... Mace's robe sleeves are longer even then the Emperor's (I can get a reference pic to show you if you need it), and I think it would look too silly if you modeled the robe the way it's shown (think of the Emperor's backwards cuffs but WORSE), so you can either modify it or not model it at all (my vote - not every Jedi model has to have a robe, and especially since there's no clothing animation...).
Maybe if he curved the sleeve instead of having it come to such a sharp point it would be ok.

"Do or do not. There is no try."

Custom Avatar made by Aru-Wen
keo718 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 05:34 PM   #31
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

Quote:
Originally posted by keo718
One last comment, his eyes need to be bigger in uniform scale and closer together like I had previously mentioned.

Maybe if he curved the sleeve instead of having it come to such a sharp point it would be ok.
I knew I forgot something.

Not sure about the curve... i'd have to see it to tell, but it sounds like an idea worth looking into.

Old 10-21-2002, 05:59 PM   #32
Toonces
Raise Hand If Sure!

I haven't tweaked everything I'm going to on the body proportionally, give me time. Also Arco and my past track record always includes a few deviations from the movie depictions, I know this bothers some people, but we're trying

And on the robe issue, I'm not going to do super long sleeves, they are like the ones ont he tyrion model. I can't get the robe right, it's impossible with the current system, so either I remove it completely or I do it like I have it. I'm not removing it, but you can play without it of cource

Old 10-21-2002, 06:27 PM   #33
skywalker19

Toonces,check my reference pic # 4(copy the shortcut and paste it in your address bar). Thats a big damned robe! Is it possible you can edit palpatines a bit and throw it on Mace instead of the tyrion one? I'd prefer that robe,not sure about anyone else.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:14 PM   #34
{xg}darthVADER

WOW

looks greta its realy f*cking awsome

Maps aren't released
...they escape

{xg}darthVADER is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 07:37 PM   #35
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Toonces
I haven't tweaked everything I'm going to on the body proportionally, give me time. Also Arco and my past track record always includes a few deviations from the movie depictions, I know this bothers some people, but we're trying

And on the robe issue, I'm not going to do super long sleeves, they are like the ones ont he tyrion model. I can't get the robe right, it's impossible with the current system, so either I remove it completely or I do it like I have it. I'm not removing it, but you can play without it of cource
Sounds good to me.

BTW, have you decided what to do concerning my little request?

-Anakin

Old 10-21-2002, 08:06 PM   #36
Arco

yeah it doesn't have to be spot on. I mean come on food cansiters on his belt??? maybe he ate them! Look at The tercero anakin model altho it is obviously the most amazingly acurate mesh I have seen pretty much ever... it has still taken him forever to do it and still it ain't done. But that is his bag baby I ain't got no probs with that. But with me and Toonces we just try to get the feel of the guy we are making... acuracy isn't what we go for. Maybe our Mace is wearing his evening jedi robes.... who knows. Anyway it is pretty close now and i am not going to go mental on the details.... who is going to see them when the guy is putting a purple lightsaber thru your head anyway? All you will see is a speeding jedi blur!

heh god I sound manic. Anyhew thats just how I work.... I like to add a little bit of myself into my stuff and I think Toonces feels the same.

WACKO!

Arco

PS: me an toonces should be updating soon.... ooooOOOOoooo

Old 10-21-2002, 08:14 PM   #37
__CKY__

that model looks really good GJ on it.
__CKY__ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 08:46 PM   #38
inbredyokel

I wonder if misterpunch would mind if you borrowed a few components from Plo....I'm sure he planned for the deformation that would occur and modeled probably the best robe possible.
Wouldn't hurt to ask.
inbredyokel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 10:14 PM   #39
Shadyz

Holy SH*T toonces may I have permission to use that after its done for Zeus's and I's Genosian arena?
Shadyz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 11:27 PM   #40
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Arco
yeah it doesn't have to be spot on. I mean come on food cansiters on his belt??? maybe he ate them! Look at The tercero anakin model altho it is obviously the most amazingly acurate mesh I have seen pretty much ever... it has still taken him forever to do it and still it ain't done. But that is his bag baby I ain't got no probs with that. But with me and Toonces we just try to get the feel of the guy we are making... acuracy isn't what we go for. Maybe our Mace is wearing his evening jedi robes.... who knows. Anyway it is pretty close now and i am not going to go mental on the details.... who is going to see them when the guy is putting a purple lightsaber thru your head anyway? All you will see is a speeding jedi blur!
Tercero's model taking forever to come out doesn't really have to do with the amount of detail he's putting into it... has to do with his personal life, so I don't think that should be held against him...

As for the food capsules - Toonces asked me how it could be more accurate, and I responded.
And I don't think you should go mental on the details either - I think the model looks great. However, it's the details that really make you say, "Yep, that's Mace (or Anakin or whoever)" and that's what seperates the good models from the truely great ones. Again, not knocking your work, it's just that Tex's models were never really refined... they've been tweaked by Toonces quite a bit, but it doesn't make up for the fact that the models were never really finished. Anyway, that's my two cents. Keep up the good work you two.

-Anakin

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > Showcase forum > Modelling > WIP: Mace Windu