lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Cheater Cheating
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-27-2002, 11:20 AM   #1
griff38

Angry Cheater Cheating

Hello, I have played with real people for just under 4 months now. And a game does not go bye without someone being called a cheater.

Why?

Why is anyone who is winning a cheater?
Can any of you who think you are being cheated, site an example?

Binding a script is not cheating, adjusting the clientside variable is not cheating.

Unless you can sight an example of how they might be cheating, be a man (or woman) and keep your mouth shut

Remember, only darkies vote republican

Last edited by griff38; 11-08-2002 at 04:35 PM.
griff38 is offline   you may:
Old 10-27-2002, 11:57 AM   #2
Lightning

Re: Cheater Cheating

Quote:
Originally posted by griff38
Binding a script is not cheating, adjusting the clientside variable is not cheating.
well it is
Lightning is offline   you may:
Old 10-27-2002, 12:59 PM   #3
Jah Warrior
part time waster

Re: Re: Cheater Cheating

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightning

well it is
scripts may not be cheating but they are only used by people that aint good enuff to do moves themselves - nuff said.

Peace & Ting

Jah
Jah Warrior is offline   you may:
Old 10-27-2002, 02:10 PM   #4
Luc Solar
PH34R TEH INSANE JAWA!!!

Re: Re: Cheater Cheating

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightning

well it is
Yes.

I can not believe that this issue is not clear for everyone with half a brain.

*sigh*

Here we go again:

Scripts that give you and UNFAIR ADVANTAGE are cheating. (Yes, that means that all scripts are not considered cheating.)

Why would anyone use scripts? >> perhaps 'cause it makes things EASIER, yes? This is somewhat obvious.

For example:

'No chance of accidentally rolling forwards when trying to do a blue lunge because of a script that executes it successfully 100% of the time' = unfair advantage.

The one and only reason for using scripts >>> scripts make things easier, they give you an advantage

If this would not be true, why on earth would anyone use a script to handicap him/herself?

AND:

Just because it is possible for everyone to take a gun into a boxing match and shoot the opponent, it doesn't make it okay. Just because everyone is able to use a script if they want to, doesn't make it okay.

Ok? ....Ok.

Got Honourz? Great.. I hope you choke on it!

I r0xx0r all j00 nooberz that mess with me. You nooberz suXor out of my way or I eat j00....

Most ridiculous Quote of the century: >)O(< ENmiTy: promoting mindless FFA and SD kills promotes disorderly conduct amoung the online community.
Luc Solar is offline   you may:
Old 10-27-2002, 04:00 PM   #5
griff38

Thumbs up waaaaaaaaaaa

Cheating means taking an unfair advantage, since anyone can bind a script how is it unfair?
If you don't like playing with scripters then find a server where people don't do it ( like me ). It's not like somebody is holding a light saber to your head.

If anything, script binders have made me a better player. Don't be a hater.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:49 PM   #6
Syfo-Dyas

Re: Cheater Cheating

Quote:
a game does not go bye without someone being called a cheater.

Why is anyone who is winning a cheater?
It's NOT cheating??? How is it NOT cheating???

I think that Luc Solar probably gave the best response I've read -so I'm not going to even bother repeating it.

But, if you really feel that 'Scripting' is not cheating then anyone who 'Scripts' should at least do the following: To all of your scripts, add a message that will be displayed for all players to read that will say; "NAME has just excuted NAME OF SCRIPT script".

This will at least alert everyone playing that this person is using scripts, and what that script is doing. No big deal, just a simple disclosier.

If someone has a problem with it, they can voice it, or leave. If everyone has a problem with it, then the person using scripts can leave, or be polite enough to stop using them.

If you are unwilling to tell people you are 'Scripting', if you feel you have to hide them, then I don't see how anyone could say that using Scripts is anything BUT cheating...

Seems fair enough to me. Anybody see a problem with that???

This is also beneficial to those who don't script, but have practiced and really have their moves down cold.
I have to agree with Griff38, that just because someone is really good doesn't mean they are cheating. Sometimes people get pissed that they aren't the ones winning, and it makes them feel better to call someone a cheater, rather than just admit he/she is just REALLY good at the game.
If you find someone who is good, don't call them a cheater. Rather, compliment them, and ask if they'll teach you something. Then you can benefit from their skills and knowledge.

Online games should make people some new friends. It should make people enemies. There is no benefit to people dislikeing each other.
So, the rule is simple: Play fair, have fun, learn and help each other, and make some new friends.

What could be better?

Syfo ~ Dyas

Got ProMod???

ProMod homepage: www.oculis.org/promod
Syfo-Dyas is offline   you may:
Old 10-27-2002, 09:37 PM   #7
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
a bunch of people called me cheating one time cause i dodged their sniper shots. lol..then they called me cheating caused i sniped someone in the air a few times. Then i got called a cheater for pushing rockets back in a person's face. oh when will it all end?

It's my ILLUSION!
Lightsaberboy is offline   you may:
Old 10-27-2002, 10:03 PM   #8
Homosexual Ewok

Don't worry guys, I'm going to de/recompile the Quake 3 OGC for JK2 and release it as "Chewbaccabot 1.0" in about a week.

That should clear up all the script arguments.
Homosexual Ewok is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2002, 12:42 PM   #9
FatalStrike

SILENCE YOU PATHETIC WHINERS

I am sick of this cheating crap. People use scripts, OK, DEAL WITH IT YOU SILLY NOOBS.

If you don't like it...TOO D@MN BAD!

I can't stand them since they through my game off but if you want to use them go for it, I really don't give a d@mn since when it all comes down to it, not a one of you can prove to me that you don't use them.

If you know someone has a script the EXPECT IT!! Scripts don't change you silly monkeys so if you see them then anticipate and deal with it.

I am so gald I play 1.02 and don't have to deal with you freaks everyday. In 1.02 the only fool that screams cheater is the same fool that asks "how do you roll?" hehe

THE END

FLAME AWAY

Battlefield 1942........
FatalStrike is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2002, 01:45 PM   #10
Acer Palmatum

Am I missing something? If someone is using a tool that others can use themselves, how is that unfair or cheating? That's like saying "I have a keyboard, but choose not to use it, so you shouldn't either".

Like those brats that whine about kicking being unfair. Learn to get around it, or learn to out-kick the kicker. "Oh, you force pushed me off the ledge! How wimpy!". You don't like using the force in your games? Play Quake. Play 1942. Play DOOM for cryin' out loud.

When playing JKII, expect people to kick and use the force. If players can kick, they WILL. Expect them to work as a team in team games, and hide up on that ledge where the lone players can't jump to, or gang up on your flag carrier. Expect them to use your lag against you. Expect them to get you caught up in combo moves that you can't seem to get out of. If scripts are available, be prepared to meet those that choose to use them. If they are beating you, perhaps you should use them too. If you think it's unfair, find a game that doesn't have them, 'cause if the option is available, people will use it.

So, to define cheating, here's the Webster's definition. I think we are concerned with "v. intr. 2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards. ". This would imply that the rules are the game as it stands in it's accepted and final form by it's creator I can only assume. Hence then technically, anyone using mods is a cheater, and anyone using built in scripts (which were designed into the game) or kicks (same), hidden or high ledges (same), combos (etc.), or anything else built into the original game is not a cheater.

But then again, if the accepted convention of gaming embraces mods, and the mods are available for all to DL and use, I think that is not cheating either. As long as all players know the RULES ahead of time, like posting in the server name "v1.02" or "JediPLUS 3.0" or "no chatkilling" or "no camping". If everyone attending a given server is there of their own will, and the rules say "no scripts" and you are caught using them (see Syfo-Dyas' post above), then you are kicked and/or banned for cheating. It is cheating then, because it is against the convention of the players on that server. If it's not a posted rule, and anyone can do it, it is not cheating.

So to summarize < whew! > Only one person can use the advantage, and does so = cheating. Anyone can use the advantage, there is no rule against it, and some choose not to because of some kind of lame code of ethics that was not agreed to by all the players = not cheating. It = naive on the part of the "you're cheating" whiners. End of story.
Acer Palmatum is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2002, 02:33 PM   #11
DeTRiTiC-iQ

Well said.
DeTRiTiC-iQ is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2002, 03:16 PM   #12
JEDI OUTCAST

cheating is good it gets you places that you can not go.

JEDI OUTCAST

JEDI OUTCAST is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2002, 03:41 PM   #13
MysticSpade
awaiting the Unknown

cheaters and script users have no place in REAL competition. i have no difficulty takin down a script user. actually they leave themselves open while tryin to push their scripted key.

XBL GT: MysticSpade
MysticSpade is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2002, 05:28 PM   #14
DeTRiTiC-iQ

Agreed, exploiting bugs etc has no place in a real game, but its always fun to mess about on a public server with map glitches and the like.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:21 PM   #15
TK_Nutritious

speaking of map glitches *cough* det plz watch trick jumping video *cough*
TK_Nutritious is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2002, 11:08 PM   #16
Break_dF
Banned

Chewbaccabot Unnamed?...WTF? 8)
Break_dF is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2002, 11:14 PM   #17
DeTRiTiC-iQ

Quote:
Originally posted by TK_Nutritious
speaking of map glitches *cough* det plz watch trick jumping video *cough*
Already taken care of, I could release Bespin Towers SE right now if I wanted.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:06 AM   #18
UgonDieFoo

Acer Palmatum laid the smack down, and he knows what he's talking about. I agree with everyhing he said. For those of you who consider scripts to be cheating you ought to read his post. And btw I don't use scripts and don't even know how to, for anyone who thinks I do cause of what I'm saying.
UgonDieFoo is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2002, 05:20 AM   #19
Luc Solar
PH34R TEH INSANE JAWA!!!

Oh for the love of god...

Quote:
Originally posted by Acer Palmatum
Am I missing something? If someone is using a tool that others can use themselves, how is that unfair or cheating?
Yes. You are missing something. Let me try to get you to understand:

The argument is, as you said: "It's not cheating because everyone can do it!"

Now take a game of golf. You take your swings and let the next guy on the green. Just as he swinging, you take your golf club and smack him in the face with it.
No problem here, he can do it too. And there's not any rule that spesifically fordbids this. Great logic.

I'd really hope that I don't have to see this retarded "others can do it too"-argument ever again.

Btw - I'd bet that half of the people browsing these forums don't even know what a script is, not to mention knowing how to use one. How can you say that it is "available for everyone", when the vast, vast majority of people would have to go to considerable lenghts to make a script?
Example: If one guy can hack in to FBI's databank, everyone can do it, they just need to learn about hacking and/or get better at it.

Quote:
Like those brats that whine about kicking being unfair. Learn to get around it, or learn to out-kick the kicker. "Oh, you force pushed me off the ledge!
This and the other crap where you try to educate us on various CTF-strategies has absolutely nothing to do with scripts.

Quote:
"If scripts are available, be prepared to meet those that choose to use them. If they are beating you, perhaps you should use them too. If you think it's unfair, find a game that doesn't have them, 'cause if the option is available, people will use it.
Sure. People suck. But the issue here is: "Are scripts cheating"? There's no question about whether or not people actually cheat. In CS it seems more like a rule than an execption. But this gets us to the next argument:

"Other's are using it - that makes it okay for me to use 'em too!"

No. The fact that someone else is doing it has no relevance whatsoever.
Example: "It is okay for me to beat down all my competitors in golf with a golfclub because I heard in the news that some maniac did that too a while back."

There is no relevance. All it is is a lousy excuse that gives half-witted people a break from their bad conscience.

Quote:
So, to define cheating .......Hence then technically, anyone using mods is a cheater, and anyone using built in scripts (which were designed into the game) or kicks (same), hidden or high ledges (same), combos (etc.), or anything else built into the original game is not a cheater.

That logic if flawed. A mod is a mod. All players are playing the same game. No-one with half a brain needs a rigid definition for cheating to help them decide what is and what isn't cheating. Especially not in a case that is so obvious.

Quote:
If everyone attending a given server is there of their own will, and the rules say "no scripts" and you are caught using them (see Syfo-Dyas' post above), then you are kicked and/or banned for cheating. It is cheating then, because it is against the convention of the players on that server. If it's not a posted rule, and anyone can do it, it is not cheating.
Again, I disagree. Cheating is cheating period

I'll illuminate my point:

Two guys play JO. The other proposes that they'll both use "helpusobi1". The other boy agrees and so they start messing around with cheat codes.
Now...at exactly what point did "helpusobi1" "noclip" and all the god-mode-insane force rank-etc-stuff seize to be cheats?
Just because they both agreed, it doesn't mean that cheats suddenly aren't cheats. They simply made a rule. And the rule was: *Cheating is okay*.

Quote:
So to summarize < whew! > Only one person can use the advantage, and does so = cheating. Anyone can use the advantage, there is no rule against it, and some choose not to because of some kind of lame code of ethics that was not agreed to by all the players = not cheating. It = naive on the part of the "you're cheating" whiners. End of story.
Guys..just take a moment to think about what you're doing when creating a script. I'm not going to put an example here of all that needs to be done...but, jesus! It doesn't occur to you at any point that you might be bending the rules a bit?

I'd like to comment on the so often used "it is in the game"-argument while am at it. Hopefully I never have to see that one again either.

A lot of things are "in the game". Helpusobi1 and noclip are in the game. Are they not cheats? They are? Even though they're In The Game?!?!? Great. Now please spare me from hearing such nonsense from now on.

Got Honourz? Great.. I hope you choke on it!

I r0xx0r all j00 nooberz that mess with me. You nooberz suXor out of my way or I eat j00....

Most ridiculous Quote of the century: >)O(< ENmiTy: promoting mindless FFA and SD kills promotes disorderly conduct amoung the online community.
Luc Solar is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2002, 07:08 AM   #20
Cedrin

I script lunge. It is faster then non scripted lunge. I'm not going to be at a disadvantage becuase someone else has it scripted.

If anyone thinks they can beat me overall in a 10 game match (1.04) NF, let me know. Send me an email at casca3200@hotmail.com and we can arrange a time to play.

Btw, I don't spam lunge if thats what your thinking.
Cedrin is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2002, 07:57 AM   #21
Jahs

That was well put Luc Solar. I agree
Jahs is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2002, 08:56 AM   #22
DeTRiTiC-iQ

So it would also be considered cheating to disable force-speed trails? saber-trails? alter the cg_fov variable? change the hud to the simplified one which provides more information about mana?

All of these can only be changed via the console. the majority of people don't know about them, and they all give the person using them an advantage.

While we're at it, lets talk about keyboard configs, what if someone spends ages developing the most efficient keyboard configuration for their playing style? Nobody else uses it, and it would give them one hell of an advantage.

Surely recording a demo of me playing on a public server and viewing it later so that I can learn from my mistakes gives me an advantage? None of the demo-recording commands are in the manual, so therefore the people who know how to do it are quite select.

What about Team Communications scripts? I mean come on, they allow fast and efficient communication between team-members during the game, without even having to stop and type. Heck they can use them whilst in mid-air avoiding snipers. They give your team a massive advantage in CTF play. Is this cheating? Surely only the people who know how to script can get this advantage?

The fact is, combo scripts work well against newbie players, but against experienced players you need the flexibility and freedom to improvise in order to stand a chance. All my examples above give you an advantage no matter who you use them against, combos only give you an advantage against weaker players? Yet you consider the later to be cheating?

Look at it this way, I play on public servers to improve my skills, since the gameplay is much more unpredicatable. If I came across somebody who blatantly used combo scripts I would relish the challenge, how often do you get the chance to try and beat someone who can perform complex moves everytime, flawlessly.

In honesty, I think combo-scripts are cheating somewhat, but they are a challenge to be beaten, not an evil to whine about. Afterall they don't make you invincible, they don't let you fly, they don't let you walk through walls and they don' give you infinite ammo.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:15 AM   #23
FatalStrike

I agree

DeTRiTiC is correct. His attitude about these scripters is a "winners mindset" which is to say he sees these things as challenges that he apparently enjoys over coming.

Everyone who wastes their time typing insults on servers about cheaters, whores, and spammers; lack this instinct and thus are usually not the best players. Some of you on this thread seem like the type that prefers to complain about everything instead of testing yourself against it.

BTW all that stuff DeTRiTiC mentioned about adjusting in the console is true. Scripts can sometimes do more harm to your game then good when faced with good opposition.

Battlefield 1942........
Old 10-29-2002, 10:45 AM   #24
ondrahosek

When scripting can't be blocked by using the MAP command instwad of the DEVMAP command, why don't we contact Raven to make a new patch? Until now, I have heard two arguments that might need a new patch:

- Deflecting laser shots with Force Push should have an option in the Setup menu to switch it on and off for the ones who think deflecting lasers with a semi-abstract way is like telling George Lucas he should eliminate the saber, and on for those, who want to escape a firefight with having some fun.

- This cheating/scripting thing. Raven should block setting variables which may make an unfair game, and disable scripts that may do the same. This will surely not affect the server *owner*, whom the other players can tell he is unfair by exiting his game.
If the map is not started with the DEVMAP command, no one will be able to change anything (only the server owner, who will add bots). If the map IS started with the DEVMAP command, the players may cheat for themselves, but not edit variables like fraglimit, dowarmup, saberdamagescale or timelimit (which is again the owner's job).

But is it really such a hard job to browse the Internet or share the knowledge with others? When we are already so bad and cheat, why don't we give others the chance? This might be because of the good old My-knowledge-is-only-mine--I-am-Emperor-Palpatine system. (I have many more psychological questions.) So, DO bother putting all the knowledge on the Internet, and you surfers, DO BOTHER READING THEM!!! We will never be able to wipe out the evil away.
It's again the whole thing behind Star Wars: There is always something good in the evil (Darth Vader helping Luke to shut the Emperor down), and there is always something evil in the good (Luke flipping out and nearly killing the Emperor if Vader wouldn't block the saber).

Tiny poll:
Anybody understood, what I wrote?

Ondra
(Ravu al Hemio, IH8Andre)
ondrahosek is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2002, 10:49 AM   #25
DeTRiTiC-iQ

I choose A: Not Really
Old 10-29-2002, 10:58 AM   #26
ondrahosek

Thank you for your post to the poll. You will be now taken back to the forum, where ondrahosek will ask you THE question: What did you not understand? Send me a Private Message with that. I see the forum is now filled.

Ondra

Last edited by ondrahosek; 10-30-2002 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:31 PM   #27
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

Before I commence my input, I will draw readers' attention to the fact that I for one consistently constrain myself to abide by a stringent code of honour, and expect the same of members of my clan, [FW].

However, I do not expect those outside my clan to abide by the same code. I'd like them to, but I would be foolish to expect them to, and indeed foolish to ask them to. Those who like honour naturally gravitate towards a clan that will cater for those needs, and if someone is not already honourable, there's not much chance that a plea from another player will make them so.

Having established that, I have to say further that I personally consider anything that adds or subtracts something from the game code, program or engine, is the only thing that can be described as a cheat, because the word "cheat" has become (rightly) synonymous with the word "hack." Hacking the game is cheating, and it is the most dishonourable, most malicious and unpleasant thing anyone can do in an online game.

Multiple binds, scripts and/or the use of the mouse wheel in sabre locks... are NOT cheating, however, no matter how much people scream it. This is because of the intractible existence of the question "where does one draw the line?"

If using a script is cheating, is tweaking your display settings cheating? Is tweaking your connection cheating? What about forcing player models to make it easier to see and locate opponents, is that cheating?

Oh heck, let's go for broke. Is altering ANYTHING from the factory default "cheating?" Is buying a faster computer than anyone else "cheating?" Is having a lower ping than anyone else "cheating?" Is practicing until you're better than everyone else "cheating?"

Is a tennis player who buys a better racquet than his opponent a "cheat?"

Now you must see the truth. There is nowhere to draw the line. I choose not to use scripts for one reason and one reason only: I cannot be bothered to use them. I've never EVER needed them. But despite my disdain for them, I don't call those who use them "cheats," because if I did, I'd have to label everyone who's ever striven for a legal advantage in a game as a cheat. I locate my enemy's weak spot and attack it. Is that cheating? Is it unfair? No. It's the game. I get a bigger gun than my opponent, and I shoot them with it. Is that cheating? No. It's the game.

So we come to the question of rules. Well the simple fact is that there is only one universally accepted rule in the online gaming community, and that is "Thou shalt not cheat." game-hackers are outcasts, and rightly so. People don't have to be nice, people don't have to bow before duels, people don't have to avoid type-killing people. Is this right? Is it just? Who can say? Some people deserve to get killed while typing. Some people don't deserve a bow before a duel, and some people don't deserve niceness in conversation. I and many like me live by the rules of honour, BUT THAT IS OUR CHOICE. We have no right to order others to live by our personal codes.

So who has the right to make rules? Only server administrators have the right to make rules, and those rules only apply to the servers they administrate, once again rightly so. What kind of nazi "no gunz no moving no breathing" world would we live in if the vocal majority could force their pedestrian and self-serving codes of conduct down the throats of others? A fascist state, that's what.

So be thankful. Because the laws of personal freedom allow people to use scripts and be "k1ck-wh0r3s" and swear and do all sorts of horrible things, because those freedoms exist, we ALL have the freedom to define our own code of honour, we all have free-will.

You people may disagree (and vocally) with scripting, and call it "cheating" loudly, but watch out. If a law was passed by the world's governments this evening saying that nobody was allowed to script for the Q3 engine, what would the next law be? "Thou shalt not alter thy game settings from the factory defaults?" Oh, I know...

The next law would be "Thou shalt let those who whine a lot, win, in order to make them all happy."

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2002, 12:50 PM   #28
Homosexual Ewok

One Universal truth in online gaming:

The first to accuse are usually the ones who use.

People always say things like "The majority of players don't hack/cheat; it's just a small portion who ruins it for everyone else."

If you agree with that you are living in a very sheltered world.

Counter-Strike is plagued with hacks because...well, a very, very large number of the players are hacking.

id software was done with Quake 3 after 1.31 patch.
A couple of months after the final point release was out, the OGC guys port over their CS multihack to Q3 and guess what?
You could not go on to any public server without seeing 7/10 players using it.

It caused the most popular mod team for that game (Urban Terror) to halt development on 2.6 until id responded with another patch because the hacking was so common and easy to do.

Look people, the script crap can not be stopped; it will not be stopped via a patch, so just deal with it.

If a person needs a script do something to begin with, maybe, just maybe they are not good/experienced players.

I know plenty of people who use saber lock scripts. I have 0 chance of beating them if we get into a lock. Is that unfair? Sure it is. So what do I do? I never swing the friggen saber at them, I just kick them, toss it at them, whatever. Anything scripted can be avoided just as if it was done manually, just use a little strategy when you play and don't flail around like a drunken chimpanzee.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:27 PM   #29
griff38

Thumbs up HONOR: Underated

SPIDER AL SAYS, "I consistently constrain myself to a stringent code of honour However, I do not expect those outside my clan to abide by the same code.

Ah, a natural born leader, if I ever join a clan I hope it is one like Spiders.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:29 PM   #30
griff38

Sanguis Frater

Master Ewok, when is the frater active? I have it in my favs and I have never seen it open
Old 10-29-2002, 03:30 PM   #31
FatalStrike

Re: HONOR: Underated

Quote:
SPIDER AL SAYS, "I consistently constrain myself to a stringent code of honour However, I do not expect those outside my clan to abide by the same code.

Ah, a natural born leader, if I ever join a clan I hope it is one like Spiders.
I really should say something but I will be nice today.

Quote:
Master Ewok
You also replaced the word "homosexual" with "master" what's the deal with that?

Battlefield 1942........
Old 10-29-2002, 06:30 PM   #32
Break_dF
Banned

That would be b/c Griff knows that ewok can kick his @$$....
Old 10-29-2002, 07:52 PM   #33
Guardian Omega

Spider just saved my time, he just brought out the same point. Basically, he's just saying this: Anything in the game is not cheating. Scripting is in the game, therefore not cheating. If you don't know how to do it, it doesn't mean he's cheating. If one guy knows all stances, but a newbie only knows blue stance, does that mean the one who knows all is cheating?

Sue, it's the American way!- I forgot.
Guardian Omega is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2002, 07:55 PM   #34
Doctor Shaft

The script argument eh?

Well, if we were playing street fighter and you had scripts, I'd say you were cheating. The whole basis of the game is who is both strategic and proficient with the joystick and buttons. If you ever set your game to do all the special moves and crap together just by pressing a button, you just ruined the whole structure of the game. Plus, the program isn't really user friendly in terms of programming the moves in, though I'm sure it can be done.

JK2 is another matter though. If you use scripts for special moves, well, it's in the game, I can bind keys to use certain items rather than use a tedious button to scroll through the menu, so I guess you can program some stuff into one button. If you use it to do lunge and all that... well, I'm a purist, I have to go with Spider and say I have no need for them, or a want.

I'd say there is a limit though... if you have a script that prevented people from beating you ever, then I guess you've crossed the line in terms of honor, but I have never encountered something like that.

Counterstrike is ridden with scripts. In that game, scripting effects the game a great deal more than JK2. It's really sad though, because that it doesn't just provide something as simple as doing a lightsaber move, which we all know is one of the least frightening things in the game.

I feel scripting is like using the FAMAS in Firearms 2.6. It's in the game, and it's programmed as is, but the gun is so powerful that it's hard to miss. You kill faster with that smaller gun than you do with some of the more expensive ones. But hey, it's your perogative, go ahead, but you get no respect or love from me. Of course, JK2 scripting isn't as extreme as that... sometimes. If you use scripts, be my guest, just always take into account where your skills came from what your opponents setup is like before you start talking.
Doctor Shaft is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2002, 10:58 PM   #35
griff38

Thumbs up HOMO MASTER

That would be b/c Griff knows that ewok can kick his @$$....

Yes, but I refered to him as master because I respect him. Unlike you Break_df.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:18 PM   #36
Break_dF
Banned

You lost me there...I don't respect him/you? You don't respect me?...You aren't very clear there.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:26 AM   #37
Homosexual Ewok

Re: Re: HONOR: Underated

Quote:
Originally posted by FatalStrike

You also replaced the word "homosexual" with "master" what's the deal with that?
Play me sometime...

Only guy I can't beat is Break_df...the #1 ranked (and one insanely amazing) full Force dueler in this game.

Hell, I don't think anyone could take that monster 10/0.

And griff our server is up, we just had it locked cuz of TWL matches/practice.

You should respect Break_df too man, he's a good guy; he just beats up on people so bad it makes him seem mean.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:32 AM   #38
griff38

Thumbs up respect

You aren't very clear there.......... ok

I would have no idea if you respect Ewok or not, I mean I don't have much respect for you.

Sorry if I was not clear.

OH great now i am a pit droid
Old 10-30-2002, 02:03 AM   #39
Aoshi

well just put it this way.... cheating is more or less using some kinda external program to help you win. being resourceful is using the variables that are set in the game to your greatest advantage.

who really cares anyways though. there's no absolute way to prove that anyone actually cheated. if it really makes you feel better then go ahead and accuse them of cheating, but if you ever wanna get better you should observe them and see what they're doing that you arent. i personally dont even see the point of cheating even though i play this game to compete and win. what's the point of saying "i beat you but i had to have a helluva lot of help to do it"? i would rather say "i beat you because i'm more skilled than you and if you happened to cheat that just means i'm that much better than you are."

overall cheating does not improve one's playing ability all that much. even if you do use every cheat in the book, someone who is truly great will win every time because they will know how to adapt to it.

I will be the strongest
~Shinomori Aoshi
Aoshi is offline   you may:
Old 10-30-2002, 02:14 AM   #40
ondrahosek

SPIDER AL is fully right. Everybody draws the line elsewhere. What IS and what IS NOT cheating? Define this to me. I'm sure that your opinion is quite different from mine.

It is going to be the question of the server "master". He is going to draw the line. If Raven will proceed with the 1.05 request, he might be the one. If not, *sigh* draw the line yourself. *a very heavy sigh* At the end of the day, we will once more hear the sentence that always exists, even if we remove the planets, sabers, starships and other surreal things. Humans are built this way.
Quote:
There is always something good in the evil, and something evil in the good.
This is not a sentence from the Star Wars world. It is the sentence from this world.
Everyone cheats. Even my friend, who is a real introvert, and who wouldn't do anything illegal, walks down the staircase, which is only for shoes, with his slippers. He tries to cover it up by saying, "Everyone does that!" Still, he is cheating, doing something illegal.

I can be really sentimental. And, because of all the things happening in my school, I am good at psychology. I learn more and more because of the two choleric teachers (class teacher *shoot!* and the german teacher (who "bosses" the other German group around; I am happy to be in the better group, where the teacher is really nice to everyone)) we have in our school, and the other two-legged cretins (teachers) who teach me everything I will "need", but mainly teach me life. (And if the cretins don't drive me crazy, I am OK with them.)

My opinion to it all - this world and the life - varies. But there is one word that describes it best:
Quote:
DUHHHHHHHHHHH!
(OK, let's say I have something in common with that smiley under my name.)

Ondra
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Cheater Cheating