lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Current Status
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-17-2003, 06:14 PM   #41
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

uh. I don't want to give the wrong impression there, but specific visuals are secondary to the gameplay. Unless I have to change the visual code as part of the gameplay changes, I'll save those changes for later.

As for mod progress, it's still coming along. We fixed the major crash bug with Ytmh's computer. We're not sure what the problem was but it's seems to work now. I'm in the middle of tweaking the system and fixing some camera flicker bugs.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may:
Old 02-22-2003, 02:33 AM   #42
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

2/21/03

Sorry about the lack of updates. I've been messing with stuff in RL and haven't had the time to work on the code AND make regular PR updates.

Things are coming along. It's bug hunting season at the moment. There's a couple of minor things that need to be added but it's basically ready in concept. However, a bunch of the features aren't working correctly yet and it will take sometime to fix.

I'll keep you all posted.

Razor Ace

Old 02-23-2003, 04:00 AM   #43
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Ok everyone, since True View is almost ready, I'm releasing this information so modellers can insure compatibility with True View.

Basically, you need two things for True View to work:

1. Your model MUST have a tag surface called "*head_eye" whereever you want the player to see from on this model. The camera is directly linked to this tag so it must be on the model or True View doesn't work right.

2. Your model needs to have its head region correctly setup for the dismemberment system. (IE your head pops off correctly when your head is cut off in game.) True View uses a similar system to make your head invisible to prevent you from seeing the insides of your head. This isn't needed presay. You could place the "*head_eye" far enough ahead of your head to prevent any clipping problems but I don't recommend doing this unless you HAVE to (like for the helmet pop off effect of the lastest version of Vader).

That's it. Technically, any correctly done model SHOULD already have these.

I've notice that "glm_vader" doesn't have a "*head_eyes" tag and therefore doesn't work correctly with True View.

Razor Ace

Old 02-26-2003, 04:32 AM   #44
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Ok, True View is 95% done. We're in smooth sailing now.

My current sub-project is making the weaponfire/crosshairs use the actual gun barrel instead of the hackish preset location of the basejk2.

It works now, but the crosshair and the actual shots don't line up as good as they do with the "hacked" version. The weapon fire LOOKS better, but the crosshair seems to be a little off in the sniper scope and when you fire at a steep up or down angle.
I think it's related to the other major issue I'm having with True View.

What do you guys think? More realistic weapon firing or put up with the crappy old system (with the better crosshair)?

Old 03-08-2003, 06:34 AM   #45
Alesh

Well i can't really comment on this because I'm mainlya saberist... but I think having a precise crosshair is more important than the shooting looking good.

I don't know if I (or anybody for that matter) has asked for it before but, could we get electrobinoculars? (but get rid of the damn battery, how comes a lightsaber can stay on for so long and binoculars don't?)
I know it's not a big deal for gameplay, but binoculars would be good (at least for rp, or to look far withowt using the disruptor).
Alesh is offline   you may:
Old 03-08-2003, 03:17 PM   #46
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

maybe, the thing is, the electrobinoculars would be basically useless. The maps are so small that viewing at a distance is rare. If something will be rarely used, why spend a lot of modding time on it?

Old 03-14-2003, 06:39 AM   #47
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

3/14/03

Still hammering away at things.

Weapons are now truely hittable (but there's no ingame effect yet). Unfortunately, there's a general issue with the traces that is currently preventing the weapons from being hitable in situations where the original "normal" trace doesn't hit the player model. I think I can get around this by removing the normal traces entirely but that might screw up hit detection on nonghoul2 objects. I'll check it out.

True View is basically complete. I want to add some special camera view for blue backstabs and the yellow special but other than that everything is ready.

Heck, I could release this thing today but I want to get it extra polished for release. The minor things often add up. For example, while the aiming is now perfect, the first shot seems to go slightly wild with the distruptor. wierd. That's not what a sniper wants.

In other news, we recently talked with RenegadeOfPhunk (currently of MovieBattles, formerly of Team Assualt) about a possible merger. He's currently thinking about it and I'm hopeing/thinking we join forces.

Old 03-16-2003, 04:39 AM   #48
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Sure, but that would still take time. I'll add it....eventually.

Anyway, Release 2 is out!

Grab it at your local JK2 file site or d/l it from my small webspace here.....http://personal.palouse.net/razorace/MotFR2.zip

Old 03-16-2003, 04:44 PM   #49
Alesh

True view works great, but I find it impossible to fight with the saber using it, not being able to turn your head and the really small fov aren't really good for saberfights, add my inability to calculate the saber's reach in fpv and you get a dead saberist :P
Old 03-16-2003, 06:19 PM   #50
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

yeah, depth perception with the saber is a real problem with True View and third person. I think it's due to the uniform color and the fact that ingame blade is actually a 2d rendering. I haven't thought of a good fix yet.

As for the field of view, play with cg_fov until you find a setting you like.

Old 03-18-2003, 12:01 PM   #51
Alesh

I've just tried it, and it would be great if it wasn't for seeing thing like if I was looking through a glass ball. Is there any way to fix this?
Old 03-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #52
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Unfortunately, it's a hardware limitation. Remember you're playing this on a computer with a single monitor. There's no way to simulate a realistic fov without fisheyedness, multiple monitors, or VR equipment. It's just the way it is.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:02 AM   #53
Alesh

Now the question would be if there's a way to make the third person view spin around... (I also think the third person view makes some "sense" with jedi since they are supposed to feel things...).
Old 03-19-2003, 10:23 AM   #54
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

I guess I could but I don't see a point to it. Maybe something for backstabs, but it's not a mission critical thingy.

Old 03-21-2003, 10:26 PM   #55
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...threadid=95096

Old 03-23-2003, 10:50 AM   #56
Alesh

Too long since i posted ideas...

I know for now new animatins are not possible, but what i don't know is, canyou play an already existing animation backwards?

To be more specific, I was looking at the backstab, and thought it would probably do a good sword thrust if played backwards and with the saber looking the other way (maybe it could be the crouch+forward+attack for yellow stance).
Old 03-23-2003, 07:35 PM   #57
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

uh, the saber is bolted to the hand on the player model model. I'm not sure it's possible to alter the orientation on the fly like that. But it might be possible to run animations backwards. I'm in the middle of checking out all the animation calls out at the moment.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:43 AM   #58
Spedema28

Hi
I downloaded MotFv2 the other day, and I have to say that I think it is amazing. I'm trying to get the clan I used to be in (omni) to set up a CTF server that runs it all the time, hopefully they will.
I'm glad you included the cvars you did for personalizing how true view works (among other things) and the justice zone is hilarious. I was wondering if you could include an option through cvars to have trueview work a little differently. My idea is that if you were using your lightsaber you could play in normal third person, and when you performed one of the 3 "special" moves, you would zoom into trueview. Well I guess not really zoom in, that wouldn't be possible I dont think, but switch to true view for the move and then switch back afterwards. Maybe it could also come on when a backstab is performed, and since you can't move anyways while doing these moves, aside from rotating the yellow dfa, it'd be a great time to get a dramatic camera angle.
Are the damage values the same for light sabers? I feel like duels are more lethal when I play with MotF on, but I might just be confused by the dodging.
Thanks for making such a cool mod, I enjoy playing it a lot.
Azmo
Spedema28 is offline   you may:
Old 03-26-2003, 02:14 PM   #59
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

That's a interesting True View idea but I'm not sure about the usefulness of it but it sounds cool. I'll add it to the ideas to discuss.

As for the sabers, yes, the damage for the saber has been boosted. There's a lot of work planned on the saber for R3. Watch the MotF Forum for details.

Servers would be great but I'm not sure BOFH wants MotF muscling in on his "turf". Try at your own risk.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:33 PM   #60
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Check out the MotF Forum. There's a multiple number of new threads.

Including the introduction of a official Beta Server!

Old 04-09-2003, 01:40 AM   #61
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Well, I got a prototype of the Mouse Sabering up and running. It's pretty cool and has a LOT of potential once we get the HUD stuff and settings tweaked.

Also, the MotF website is almost ready. We're currently waiting for our hosting admin to give us the data we need to get our perl/cgi run site up and running. Til then, continue to use the MotF Forums.

Old 04-09-2003, 01:42 AM   #62
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Also, BOFH backed out of the server deal after I refused to be blackmailed into giving him MotF source code.

Old 04-14-2003, 03:09 AM   #63
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Well, the website is up at motf.jk2files.com. It looks like the other members of the team prefer to post status updates on the site so I'll close this down and start posting there as well.

Razor Ace

Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Masters of the Force > Current Status