lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Cloning
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-20-2003, 11:58 AM   #1
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

Post Cloning

how will cloning work, i know if your not a jedi and your killed its just like you all over again, but will you have the same skills and will it cost you anything?
legameboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #2
Deft Aklin
Retired Dark Jedi

LFN Staff Member 
Honestly, I think there is some confusion regarding this. My understanding is that you will need to visit a cloning facility to 'save' your character. As far as stats, I think it will only restore you to whatever stats you had at that time and not what you had at the time of your demise. Killing will be a vengeful thing though. You can only be incapped unless they actually perform a 'Coup de grace' and finish you off. Otherwise you get back up after a short period of time. I do believe that I saw something regarding multiple incaps in a short time span though, something like five in three minutes is death and off to the cloners for you.

Minister of Propaganda - The Endbringers
Formerly Deft Aklin - Regent of Dark Sovereignty/The Endbringers of Starsider
“The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy’s not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him;
Not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.” –The Art of War, Sun Tzu

wevegotcookies.com
Deft Aklin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
setsuko
fashion nugget

Yup. This means that most mobs won't kill you, only incapitate you, while smarter, more evil, or malicious PvP enemies are the worst kind of enemies, since they'll send you back to Clonetown, and not just Painsville.

Well, since you basically don't ever gain stats, it is your skills and equipment that is endangered by death. Skills are saved when you go to the cloning facility, and equipment are secured by buying an insurance.

http://www.swgalaxies.net/fanimage/images/23.jpg
Al extrañar un amigo bueno siempre me siento algo melancólica...
setsuko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

alright thnx for clearing things up for me, how many clonign facilities would there be on 1 planet, if sum1 owned one and charged a fee they would get a large sum of money
Old 03-20-2003, 04:03 PM   #5
Deft Aklin
Retired Dark Jedi

LFN Staff Member 
I doubt anyone would be allowed to own/run such a facility. In any event, there would have to be at least one per planet and perhaps one for each 'side' of the planet i.e. four. (Is it four sides or six, I keep forgetting and am too close to the end of my shift at work to check.)

Minister of Propaganda - The Endbringers
Formerly Deft Aklin - Regent of Dark Sovereignty/The Endbringers of Starsider
“The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy’s not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him;
Not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.” –The Art of War, Sun Tzu

wevegotcookies.com
Deft Aklin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Last time I checked it was 4 sides, D_S

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
- May the pants be with you!

A smile is the shortest distance between people - Victor Borge!

Custom Avatar by Wraith 8
Jan Gaarni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #7
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

no, 8 sides, 4 on top 4 and bottom
Old 03-23-2003, 11:54 PM   #8
UnfrozenCaveman

I happen to think that there will be a cloning facility for each main city as well as a few in other towns.

I like the fact that you won't have to loot your corpse or go on outrageous corpse hunts inorder to get your stuff. But you would have to go get items that weren't insured, so basically that aspect still might be in gameplay.

I like the fact that most mobs won't finish you off, personally, it was a pain in the neck when I was at Lake of Ill Omen and some retard would aggro 10 skells on me and luckily i was a monk so i just did FD and they left, but stuff like that really bothered me. Yes, the act of actually finishing someone off would definitely provide an aspect to the game.

Ebik, Rodian Holo Grinder Extrodinare

APST = |337
UnfrozenCaveman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2003, 05:43 AM   #9
setsuko
fashion nugget

Quote:
Originally posted by UnfrozenCaveman
Yes, the act of actually finishing someone off would definitely provide an aspect to the game.
AND let you be really naughty in PvP!

Old 03-24-2003, 11:23 AM   #10
UnfrozenCaveman

Quote:
Every planet will have a cloning facility so you needn't travel back to the planet you just died on. That's assuming you thought ahead enough to bind yourself to the new location. To keep it from being totally against the continuity and to reduce player frustration, small cloning outposts will be set up near the starports.
I found that while I was reading the "Shug_Nix" interview that IGN did. It was a good interview. I can't wait till open beta comes out, I feel that, obiviously, it'll give us a better understanding of what's actually in game and what's not. As well, I think for me it'll help me finally decide upon a race that I'll choose.

APST = |337
Old 03-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #11
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

i think there should be only 1 or 2 cloning facilities on each planet so you dont go 'saving' yourself everytime you do sumthing great
Old 03-25-2003, 06:52 PM   #12
Sunshine Badass

Location: Back to that not so funny place in order to liven it up again.
I think that someone would be pissed if they just did something great and they died... HAD to start all over again.

This is illogical because things you DO and skills and items you EARN are two different things.

Unless you're talking about ACCOMPLISHING something great as in EARNING something... Other than that I see no reason for someone to forget something you did just because you died without Cloning. Losing equipment and skills, of course, that's easy. But say I get (Unlikely) the Rebels and the Empire to hug and make up. Wars over, I strut around a hero, trip and break my neck without cloning. BAMOLA!!! The Rebels and Imperials "forget" what I did and start the war right back up.

Maybe this isnt what you meant at all, but oh well.
I think that ACCOMPLISHMENTS will remain, while skills will be lost.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, because soon a day will come when we are one and the same. As life slips away... Lets keep believing. So step away and believe we're wasting away.
Sunshine Badass is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2003, 07:02 PM   #13
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

i mean like skills go up and stuff, not items
Old 03-26-2003, 12:13 PM   #14
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

Quote:
no, 8 sides, 4 on top 4 and bottom
Eh, no that is corners.

But if I go with the way I thik you where thinking, then it becomes 6 sides: one on the ground, one in the air, and 4 on each side .... like a box.

A box has (usually) 6 sides, and 8 corners.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

Old 03-27-2003, 10:45 PM   #15
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

ok, how long would it take you too travel from one side of the planet to another
Old 03-28-2003, 05:18 AM   #16
setsuko
fashion nugget

Each planet is supposed to be larger than Norrath (land of EQ), and noone doubts it would take RL days to walk across that world without the aid of rapid transportation. So you better check out the public transportation!

Old 03-28-2003, 09:44 AM   #17
UnfrozenCaveman

Exclamation stormtroopers are Jango Fett Clones!!

I think that how they will set up the cloning and how many facilities are perfectly fine. I don't want to have to walk for days (in game) or for that matter ask around for hours to get someone to port me to a cloning facility. I think it's sound to have as many as they say there will be. If you are off in some remote place it's going to make your style of play a little more conservative than if you were a three minute walk from the cloning facility.

APST = |337
Old 03-28-2003, 03:41 PM   #18
Jackrabbit
Anime Slave

I never liked the idea of cloning, only because it reminds me of AO. All I remember is getting half a level, and being about 10 steps from a town when I got trained. Had to do it all over again, and it wasn't fun. And that's not even that bad. I know people who figured "One more kill will do it..."

I haven't looked into the SWG cloning that much, so it might be better. If it's anything like AO, though, then I'm not going to like it. I don't like having my exp in my own hands; I'm not responsible enough.
Jackrabbit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2003, 03:54 PM   #19
Sunshine Badass

You just lose skills you haven't "saved" by cloning.

Not to mention any uninsured equipment left lying out in the wilderness upon some lowly, irresponsible exp handler's corpse that will be lost because they:

1.) Can't remember where they died.

2.) Don't have the patience to travel back to where they died.

3.) Keep getting murderized by the local monsters.

4.) Don't have the money to hire some mercenary to act as bait during corpse retrieval.

....Wait... That was YOU two???

Don't worry 'bout it. It'll be fine. I trust the devs... Except that they use "God" mode for some awesome regenerative powers.

Maybe devs haven't died. J/K

I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, because soon a day will come when we are one and the same. As life slips away... Lets keep believing. So step away and believe we're wasting away.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:15 PM   #20
Jackrabbit
Anime Slave

I knew the players would need a Mercenary for something
Old 03-28-2003, 04:28 PM   #21
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

5) Forgot to insure their stuff.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

Old 03-29-2003, 11:22 AM   #22
UnfrozenCaveman

JR, we could start a business- helping people retrieve corpses. I'll be the ranger knowledgeable in the area and you can be the doop that all the mobs will aggro to, while our client get his corps. Sounds good, eh?

APST = |337
Old 03-29-2003, 03:16 PM   #23
Jackrabbit
Anime Slave

Yeah it does. I want you all to remember this. If your on Starsider, and you loose a corpse, come to UnfrozenCaveman and Jackrabbit
Old 03-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #24
Reborn Outcast
Easy Company

Yea DarthSidious said it right.

But it is a TEN minute 3 incapitation thing before you die. And yes, a coup de grace is the killing move.

From www.starwarsgalaxies.com

Quote:
7.21 How does the character death and respawning system work?

A series of "cloning facilities" are located throughout the game. When your character dies, he or she will respawn at the last cloning facility they visited. All insured items will appear on your character when you respawn. Additionally any items you don't insure will remain on your corpse until you retrieve them (a "consented" friend can drag your corpse to a better location if you wish). The penalty for dying essentially is the loss of time (which could be critical for finishing missions) and loss of money spent on insuring/cloning.

7.22 What do you mean by "respawn"?

Respawn is a term for the system used to "bring a character back to life" in the game. We feel that players will invest a great deal of time into creating compelling characters, so we're not enforcing permanent death (or "perma-death") in the game; instead, if you are killed, you will be "resurrected."

7.23 Can player cities build a cloning facility?

Among other municipal buildings, player created cities may be able to build cloning facilities if they meet the requirements. This feature will be added post release.
Reborn Outcast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2003, 11:19 AM   #25
UnfrozenCaveman

After reading an interview done by IGN, I think it was with Haden, it was stated that in a battleground situation you will not be able to enter the battlefield after you are killed. So, it's like you are just chilling on the outside waiting for the battle to finish so you can get your corpse. However, in a PA war you'll be able to quickly enter the battle after dying and being respawned. This is due to the difference in the battle situation and type.

APST = |337
Old 03-31-2003, 11:34 PM   #26
Sunshine Badass

That's a good idea, as the faction wars are ongoing and there will be enough people fighting in them that there is room for players to be kicked out until there is a victor.

PA battles are smaller and happen less frequently in terms of the number of people fighting. But respawning and entering again right away? That would mean that you don't start at the last clone center, and on the edge of the battle, ready to run right back in? There would never be a winner... doesn't make sense to me that way. Are you sure it works that way?

Old 04-15-2003, 09:48 AM   #27
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

that battlefieldthing is a REALLY good idea! cause if you kill someone you can breath a sigh of releif that they are gone and you wont have infinite enemies
Old 04-15-2003, 03:36 PM   #28
Jackrabbit
Anime Slave

It also gives you a sense of making a difference.

Old 04-15-2003, 04:00 PM   #29
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

BUT, according to this one post by a dev, the action is outside of the battlefield what do you think he is talking about
Old 04-16-2003, 03:37 AM   #30
-=ReApEr=-

That there's more action and challenge's outside the main battlefield.There's a whole world to explore
-=ReApEr=- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 12:51 PM   #31
waffleman

ah yes, but cant the batlefied be set up anywhere?
waffleman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 01:37 PM   #32
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

nope, there are specific places, am i right?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:19 PM   #33
forgottendeath

So

so being able to incapitate so does that mean you can incapitate them anywhere or is that killing

Does anyone know if there will be a rule on just sitting there and tormenting someone by just incapitate them then heal then incapitate them again untill they give you all there stuff

Can you talk when incapitate

The Lost but Not forgotten
Leader of the T.S.C.
forgottendeath is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 04:28 PM   #34
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

when you incapacitate sum1 they are not dead and they cannot chat the are just laying there for 5 to 10 minutes i think
Old 04-18-2003, 03:39 AM   #35
-=ReApEr=-

The battlefield can be anywhere a few troops see some rebel's start shooting then bang that's another battlefield Certain places are restricted though
-=ReApEr=- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2003, 07:51 AM   #36
setsuko
fashion nugget

Reaper: I think you mistake a normal pvp combat with a battlefield.

Anything but a battlefield can be everywhere (c'ept for starting towns, and some other rare specific places) whenever players from different PvP factions (rebels, imps, PA wars etc) meet.

However, a battlefield is a specific programmed event, and linked to a specific place. Here, you duke it out until one side wins, and then it will take a while until the battlezone respawns. Everyone who is killed in it will be locked out until it respawns, unlike 'normal' battles. It's also here you'll have access to using faction points for commanding NPC troopers, building turrets, and commanding those AT-STs!

So, be careful with the terms.

Old 04-18-2003, 10:36 AM   #37
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

battlefields are where the bloodthirsty chaps go and were all the loot is from the weapons the dropped too! im going to steal it!
Old 04-18-2003, 12:59 PM   #38
UnfrozenCaveman

What happens when you are incapacitated is that you just lie there on the ground. Your health and other stats slowly come back to normal settings. The thing is, this is where most nonviolent creatures will leave you alone- this makes soloing very possible. A more vicious creature, say a kryat dragon will kill you when you are incapacitated.

In a battleground setting, I'd def. finish someone off who was incapacitated, that way I won't have to worry about them. I think it's a good thing to have incapacitation then death. It's more realistic.

APST = |337
Old 04-18-2003, 06:20 PM   #39
forgottendeath

Me two

The Lost but Not forgotten
Leader of the T.S.C.
forgottendeath is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2003, 10:45 AM   #40
RocketPack Jack

Any1 tried the AT-ST cheat in JK2? It'll give u a taster of what its like to drive 1 of those things. Very nice.
RocketPack Jack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Community > SWGalaxies.net > Star Wars Galaxies discussion > Development Forum > Cloning