lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Are you going to miss Kyle?
Of course! He was the best SW character ever n.n 19 22.35%
I guess I will...he was kinda cool >_> 25 29.41%
That beard was getting on my nerves again >_< 22 25.88%
Good ridence to bad rubbish ^_^ 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Kyle - are you gonna miss him?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-05-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
Darklighter
Bliss Ninny

Current Game: Uncharted 3
10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Kyle - are you gonna miss him?

So? Do you think JK3 will be better without Kyle Katarn, or was his role too important to give up, do you think?

"Yeah no one likes a smart ass, but we all like stars,
But that wasn't my intention, I did it for a reason..."
Darklighter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
I won't miss him at all. It's time for new blood.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 09:54 AM   #3
obi
LFN Staff Emeritus

Current Game: Game of life, yo
Seeing how Dark Forces series is *about* Kyle, Jedi Academy shouldn't even be called "Jedi Knight III."

Of course i'm goin to miss the ol chap. He was the main character!

Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?-Matthew 7:3-5
Living Water Revival

Me on Myspace

obi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 10:46 AM   #4
boinga1
Pimpin' ain't easy

another one of these? sure, i guess i will.
boinga1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 10:52 AM   #5
Agen
The Spoon Guy

Yep, i will.
Got pretty used to him.
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 11:21 AM   #6
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!

Haha, it's great that you included the exact thing I was thinking in your poll: the beard was getting on my nerves

I don't really hate Kyle, and he's an interesting character, falling to the dark side and all, but I hate the beard and his clothes. I want Jedi robes!!

And I like the 'create your character'-feature

HertogJan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 11:32 AM   #7
DeTRiTiC-iQ

taking the game in a new direction is probably a good idea, not sure if i'll miss Kyle or not.

DeTRiTiC-iQ ~ addicted to Full-Force Guns FFA and CTF
DeTRiTiC-iQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 11:35 AM   #8
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

I won't miss Kyle for the simple reason that even if they never make another game with him in it, I'll make a Single-Player campaign that continues his story. I've had a few interesting ideas over the years about how to kill him off in a heroic manner. Don't get me wrong, I think Kyle's great. And every great hero deserves a hero's death.

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 11:41 AM   #9
Katarn07
Joxer the Mighty

GOOD RISANCE TO BAD RUBBISH! I AM FED UP WITH THAT LOSER...

j/k, must I post my thoughts? I'm just glad he'll play an important role in the game. I read that somewhere... I hope it's true.

Like to read? Like fantasy stories? Like doing people you've never met in person favors? Then read and review my original movie screenplay! You will, you must. It is your destiny....

Check out the best shots of all of my collections along with some of my better attempts at artwork here.
Katarn07 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 12:18 PM   #10
The_One
The Dude Abides

I'll miss him. Let's just hope he's back for JKIII, if they ever make it...

Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 12:23 PM   #11
Hekx
Republic Mofo

Hot Topic Starter 
I won't miss being him, that much.

I suppose he was cool. It would be nice to see him as an active NPC at the Temple and on missions.

Let's hope his hair's less grey.
Hekx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 01:03 PM   #12
Wacky_Baccy

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Of course I'll miss him

But I realise he's getting 'old', so it's time for a new direction... Not without him at all, just not with him as the main character, which is what JA has done

It would be nice to have th DF series continue directly, perhaps with us taking on the role of Kyle and Jan's kid(s)... Keeping it the family, so to speak

I just hope they don't forget about him after JA...

I miss digl. ...I found digl!
Wacky_Baccy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 01:12 PM   #13
AJL

Hmm... I have understand that this JEDI ACADEMY is not JK3 and
that Kyle is going to be the character in JK3 if/when it comes...

Am I wrong ??
AJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 01:17 PM   #14
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!

Well, the new game's called:

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

So it's not a real JKIII. The developers thought that a game without Kyle isn't really a Dark Forces sequel!

I hope Kyle is going to die in JA, a very heroic death. And then you, as a padawan, you must avenge him in the most horrible way... MWUAHAHAHHAAA!!! Let the blood of your enemies flow... MWUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Anywayz, I'd like to see that happening

Old 04-05-2003, 02:19 PM   #15
SettingShadow
Beyond the sun

Well, I've never been a real Kyle fan, but I guess he's cool. In DF I really liked him. I've only played the Demo for JK (didnt even finnish that, brrrrr, too hard) but from what I've seen he seems to been pretty cool...

In JO though, I must say he's boring, I dunno why but theres something I dont like with him. Wait I know, AHHH THOSE CLOTHES THOSE HORRIIIIIIIIIBLE CLOTHES!!!!!

All in all... I dunno, I really like the idea to create you own character, though it wont feel like a game of the DF series really (bah, I've only played 2 anyway).
SettingShadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 02:23 PM   #16
Silent_Thunder

I think Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is fine without Kyle.

But I also think that it would be a major mistake not to focus on Kye for all of the Dark Forces series (Am I the only one that thinks that Dark Forces III: Jedi Outcast sounds better then Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast? Too many jedis!).

In my opinion focusing on and playing as a child of Kyle and Jan would be really lame, to put it bluntly. But I have a sneaking suspicion that that's where we're heading for JKIII... I just hope I'm wrong.

But on the other hand, I think that the character of Kyle Katarn was unrepairably ruined in JKII. Not that the ENTIRE character of Kyle was destroyed, but what was destroyed can't be gained back, I believe. Now some people like the character progression in JKII, that's fine. But I think it really wussified Kyle's character, and damaged the possibilities for sequals.

First of all, why did they have the Valley of the Jedi invaded?? In Jedi Knight they made it seem like the person who got to the Valley of the Jedi would have the power of a "Super-Nova, within a whisp could be within his power". Now, not only do they have Desann actually GO to the Valley of the Jedi and have an unspecified ammount of time their, but they also have thousands of troops get "reborn in the glory of the force", AND Kyle uses it like nothing... Didn't he listen to Rhan at all?

But the main thing I dislike about Kyle's character is how close he seems to be working with the Republic. Yeah, he did the same in MotS, but for some reason he still seemed to have a bit of a gruff mercenary attitude intact. In JKII he seemed too much of just another one of the Alliances' heros. In Dark Forces he was just a mercenary for hire. In Jedi Knight he was just an 'content old man' in a bar trying to forget the past who happens to stumble along a fateful journey. It seems Jan also left the New Republic too, after the Empires' defeat. He went through the whole game without any interaction with the Republic. Now in JK II he's good friends with Lando (?) and even Luke! I'm surprised they didn't add Han Solo, Boba Fett, Chewie, Leia, and the rest of the gang too while they were at it.

Aynways, I got alittle side tracked... I mean to say that, I think Kyle's character may be too ruined to salvage for another true Kyle sequal... Maybe if a real JKII isn't made by Raven, but Lucas Arts they might be able to pull it off (no offense to Raven, but they just can't seem to do Star Wars as good as LEC in my opinion!).
Silent_Thunder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 02:32 PM   #17
nova_wolf
Jedi Guardian Fenrir

He was a real lovable scoundrel - Han if he turned out to be Force sensitive.

He'll be missed, but I am sure that his wisdom and guidance (and hopefully quips) will be with us all the way.

Besides, he has saved the galaxy enough now to have earnt some major holiday time away with Jan, just the two of them...

nova_wolf

Jedi Guardian Fenrir - Wolf of Ages
nova_wolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 02:51 PM   #18
ryudom

yeah, i won't really miss the JO kyle heh, but the JK kyle, well thats a differant story. i like character customization as well.
ryudom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 04:53 PM   #19
RabidPanda

I hated that Mother ****er

"Having to buy the [img] code is a very poor way of establishing roots in the members."
RabidPanda is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 05:43 PM   #20
The_One
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally posted by RabidPanda
I hated that Mother ****er
Bah.

Kyle, come here honey bunny He's such a looker with that beard and all

Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 06:42 PM   #21
Ol-Gil

I gotta admit, Kyle has been one of my least favorite characters ever in a video game.

He's just so bland, that same outfit/beard/haircut...nothing really exciting about his character [he's like Han with a lightsaber!].

I think Dark Forces had a good idea for Kyle in the cutscenes, as far as look and demeanor, but come JK, it was perverted into the sweater-wearin' yawn pile we have today.

In my opinion.

I'm just sayin', thank god there are SP mods...and now, JA.
Ol-Gil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 07:14 PM   #22
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Current Game: ToR beta & Kotor
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I'm really not going to miss him at all. I had no attachment to him. If you keep on having the same character all the time the game gets kinda stagnet...there needs to be new characters to spice things up a bit and keep it fresh. So the change is a good thing IMO.

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 07:22 PM   #23
Jedi Apprentice
Fallen

Kyle is a very cool game character and has become one of my favorites, but I think his time is up.

I just hope he is still in the game.

WWJD
Video Game Central---Administrator
StarWarsKnights.com
EchoBase Network--News Poster

This do in remeberance of Burrie:
Jedi Apprentice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 07:43 PM   #24
legameboy
Pirate Flavored

i like kyle, and i will sorta miss him, but like everyone said, same outfit, same face, he was VERY bland, i wont mind SEEING him, but i dont want to play him again
legameboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 07:45 PM   #25
Silent_Thunder

Speaking of that sweater...

Am I the only one that sorely misses that DarK Forces suit? I'm glad it made a modified appearance, but it's just waaaaaaay too ugly to be in any more games .

If I see Kyle walking aound in that ugly brown, bantha herder uniform, that looks like it hasn't been washed in 6 years (and judging by the time-line, and the fact that Kyle is STILL wearing it leads me to that assumption), then I'm going to type in g_saberrealisticcombat 9 and have alittle fun...

Anyways... Kyle's old armor/jackett was incredibly cool in my opinion. I loved that backmandalorian armor and yellow-ish brown coat. That mercenary look is soooo much cooler then the farmer/jedi look, that I just can't understand why they didn't use it in JKII?! Heck, even the first concept art showed Kyle wearing it, and so did all the magazines with JKII on the cover! And it's not like Kyle threw that armor away... he wore a modified version (no jacket) in MotS.

Well... I guess I can only hope that Kyle gets his fashion sense back in Jedi Academy -- even if we can't actually play as him.
Silent_Thunder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 08:22 PM   #26
ckcsaber
Almost there

Whats wrong with the beard!!

HIS BEARD WAS AWESOME!!

Anyways, Kyle was a truly great character. One of the best EU characters IMO. He's got a great story, and I don't think it will end. I have a feeling that Kyle will play more of a part than a cutscene model.....
ckcsaber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 08:56 PM   #27
CagedCrado

Kyle is an awesome character, but im sick of playing kyles boring life, especially when theres a billion guys just like him in star wars. I guess he set the trend for new characters in a way.
CagedCrado is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2003, 10:13 PM   #28
Finalnight

From what the makers are saying, they are probably gonna go back after JA and make a real JKIII with the DIII/QIV engine.
Finalnight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #29
AlzWisHum

Quoting Lethal Weapon: He is too old for that $@%#...

I am a Jedi! Like my daddy before me...
AlzWisHum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 10:05 PM   #30
Tesla

No i won't miss him niether do i hate him but he is gonna be in JA so with a saber disembantment cheat (if they have it) those who hate him chop him into small bits of space dust
Tesla is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 02:16 AM   #31
BrodieCadden

I like Kyle, yes even in JO. I thought the beard was pretty cool, it made his transition to a wiser person more, obivous I suppose. Anyway, I agree that the next game should be based around Kyle, with the PC being Kyle.

It would be cool if in the next game something happens to Luke on Yavin IV and, I dunno he gets kidnapped (not that lame, of course, but something must happen) and Kyle goes on a mission to save Luke. Maybe call it Jedi Knight III: Jedi Master.

Perhaps mid-game Kyle "rescues" Luke and they both embark on the mission together.

Hrmm.

Maybe it could be called Jedi Knight III: The Rapscallious Mis-Adventures of Luke and Kyle!
BrodieCadden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 03:28 AM   #32
Sam

If you could customize your own character why would you want to play as kyle?

Nobodys prefect perfect
Sam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 07:56 AM   #33
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!

No... Kyle should die in Jedi Academy. And then you must kill his killers It's a perfect way to get rid of him in a friendly way.

Old 04-08-2003, 11:57 AM   #34
toms
v0.9

He reached his peak in MotS... and became quite an interesting character. A jedi who had fallen to the dark side, but then come back. (And he got to wear black, always cooler).

Unfortunately they pretty much dumped these cool aspects from his character in JK2, didn't really explain why he didn't like the force... and then ruined one of the best teams (Kyle + jan) by making them discover their "feelings for one another".

i expect that risible plot twist came from some EU novel or something, but it still came out of nowhere and sucked

If they do JK3 they should do an alternate Kyle... the one that took the dark side in JK and killed jan.

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 02:38 PM   #35
Solo4114

I won't really miss him. He's getting kinda stale as a character, and I think it's time for some new blood. He's been a cool character and all, but I think we're getting to a point where he's becoming less of a character and more of a charicature (not that he ever had all THAT much depth, but still).

Plus, from a gameplay perspective, I doubt it'd work. I mean, how many times can kyle learn to use the force, then give up his force powers only to relearn them? You'd have to start the game at basically full force powers from the end of JO, which would really kinda ruin the gameplay. It'd be like starting with cheats, and you'd need to either have HORDES of enemies to balance things, or you'd need to have incredibly tough monsters or other opponents for Kyle. I think he's basically played out.

I suppose one final story for Kyle, along the Jedi Master line of thinking, could be where Kyle becomes an instructor at the Yavin academy, takes on a group of, say, 5 students, and then must face the "burden of command" and the challenges of teaching young students. You could play as Kyle as well as all 5 of his students in different levels, and, if Raven makes it, it could be a team-game like Elite Force was. As points of conflict, you could have students either be injured or die during training, or have students rebell against Kyle and turn to the dark side. Kyle could then be forced to either kill them or let them go. By letting them go, you could open up potential for another story, one in which the one student who turned declares a vendetta against Kyle, kills him, and it's up to Kyle's son or daughter (or both) to take out the rogue student or bring him to justice. Again, you could be faced with the choice of revenge (dark side) or mercy (light side). This would also open up the possibility to follow Kyle's students as they progress in their development as Jedi.

But I'd say that Kyle should either be retired, or given ONE more game as a playable character, and then either allowed to retire peacefully or killed (heroically).
Solo4114 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #36
greedo626
Into this "Goth" thing

Location: The world sucks. It's not even worth dying. I'll just rot in my own misery. I'm incapable of feeling happiness.
at first I was going to say I wasn't going to miss him, but when I look back at all the stuff we've been through, and all the bad guys we killed, I feel kind of sad that he's gone ... I love you Kyle

on the other hand I'm glad to finaly get the chance to play as someone other than Kyle. I guess I wont have much time to miss him as I kill helpless little jawas. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Am I still here?... meh...
greedo626 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 03:50 PM   #37
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I guess I'll miss him, but I liked him the most in Dark Forces and less in the later games. Not so much that I was getting tired of him, but just because the games had moved to the Force and Jedi Knights, and he is completely different from any other Jedi we've seen. When I play games about Jedi, I'd prefer it if they would at least slightly resemble/act like the Jedi I've seen in the movies.

He makes a great Special Ops guy though
Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 04:50 PM   #38
Solo4114

Very true, Prime. He's great as a special ops character. Remember when you had to break Gen. Madine (who I think was, at that point, a Col.) out of that imperial prison facility in DF1? That was a blast! I do think he's cool for the initial jedi stages, but now that we've explored and re-explored that, I think that it's best to move on. Unless you start out with full abilities and can have meaningful challenges to those abilities, you don't set up any kind of uphill battle for your hero (and thus, fail to make your hero a true hero). And I sure don't want to play ANOTHER game where Kyle has to learn how to do Force Jump AGAIN.
Solo4114 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 05:04 PM   #39
Andy867
McCan Caoma

I personally wont miss him, like how I won't miss Stormtroopers if Raven doesn't put them in the game.. I felt that by Jedi Outcast's end, that if another Jedi Knight game would be made, a new character should be used.. Not someone who is getting as old as Yoda. Besides, with it being Jedi Academy, it provides 99% of us the chance that we've been wanting, our own characters, and not having to "replace" someone with a SP character mod.. Also, Kyle wasn't all that great. Maybe he was in Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, but, but Jedi Outcast, his character had diminshed so much, its like begging for a new character just to get rid of him.

Shut yo face before I punch you in the mouth, break your teeth and call you Snaggle-tooth.
Andy867 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 09:56 PM   #40
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Solo4114
Very true, Prime. He's great as a special ops character. Remember when you had to break Gen. Madine (who I think was, at that point, a Col.) out of that imperial prison facility in DF1? That was a blast! I do think he's cool for the initial jedi stages, but now that we've explored and re-explored that, I think that it's best to move on. Unless you start out with full abilities and can have meaningful challenges to those abilities, you don't set up any kind of uphill battle for your hero (and thus, fail to make your hero a true hero). And I sure don't want to play ANOTHER game where Kyle has to learn how to do Force Jump AGAIN.
Ah, great memories of Dark Forces. Thanks for the walk down memory lane I agree with you about the pretty weak story hooks to force Kyle to relearn how to use the Force all over again. Frankly, at the beginning of JO when he had given it up, my first thought was, "That's better, now Kyle is back to doing what he does best!"

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy867
like how I won't miss Stormtroopers if Raven doesn't put them in the game..
Blashemy!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy867
Besides, with it being Jedi Academy, it provides 99% of us the chance that we've been wanting, our own characters, and not having to "replace" someone with a SP character mod..
It really is amazing how many people have wanted to be able to do this. I know I have. I went as far as to make my own character Qui-Zan Buuzza (which I have had since X-Wing days) using the Mace Windu model. Really, we all just want to pretend we are Jedi for a couple hours.
Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > Kyle - are you gonna miss him?