lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Fixing the Stormtroopers
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
g-blatt

Fixing the Stormtroopers

I've always noticed some thing weird about the the Stormtroopers in JO (I think it's the helmets) and I'm wondering if you guys are going to fix them for the DF Mod.

The Stormtroopers in the Films:

The Stormtroopers in the Game:

"Oh they won't come for money, not the best of them...
...they'll come for me!"
T.E. Lawrence

The Top 100 Things I'd Do
If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
This is a little site I fond through my mySQL teacher, it's so funny!
g-blatt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #2
The_One
The Dude Abides

Perhaps this is what you were thinking:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...threadid=94402

If not, what is wrong?

Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2003, 12:01 PM   #3
g-blatt

No I think there's something wrong about the entire shape of the helmet, look closely at the pics above and I think you'll see what I mean.

...they'll come for me!"
T.E. Lawrence

Old 04-09-2003, 07:46 PM   #4
t3rr0r
Goblet of Fire

the main thing i can see is that the jo stormtroopers have fat heads.

overlord
t3rr0r is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2003, 08:11 AM   #5
The_One
The Dude Abides

Maybe you're right, they do look different. But let's finish the models we have to make from scratch first, before worrying about fiddling with "completed" models

Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2003, 06:17 PM   #6
chris the cynic

When you do get around to it (fiddling), the Gamorrean's head and Boba's head also seem too fat.
chris the cynic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
Silent_Thunder

I think the problem with the Stormtrooper helmets in JO is that they're too large on the top (or too small on the bottom..) If you look at the Stormtroopers in the movies; the helmets seem to taper more at the top, and the "gas mask" area on the bottom is much wider.

Also, I don't think the Gamorean (?) Guard's head is too big. I think his body is too small. If you look at pigs in DF you will see they're REALLY wide ;p.
Silent_Thunder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2003, 04:46 PM   #8
chris the cynic

I think the head is too large and the body is too small.
chris the cynic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2003, 07:37 AM   #9
g-blatt

Hay kooll man!!! I was looking at the new up-dates and I saw you fixed the problem.

for people to lazy to find the shot I'm posting it here:

Not only do we get the head fixed we got a lot other fixes + all new textures!!!, WOW!!!! Thanks so much, this has been buging me since I first got the game!

...they'll come for me!"
T.E. Lawrence

Old 08-26-2003, 09:52 AM   #10
The Cheat
6 Foot Tall Bunny Rabbit

yeah hapslash is an accuracy freak so you can be sure all the models and skins for this mod will be sickly accurate
The Cheat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2003, 04:17 PM   #11
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Here's a topic that I know about, I think the problem with the JO (AND JA!!!) Stormtrooper is that it is mirrored so it is perfectly the same on both sides. That and the helmet is exteremly mis-shapen. It is too fat, and has NO EARS. Plus, it doesn't have much of those tubes on the sides.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2003, 05:57 PM   #12
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

Uh, not really TK. You exaggerate a lot. It's not all mirrored, and you act as if the head is some misfigured lump of ****. It's pretty accurate, not as good as Hap's but better than most other SW games.

Clarionet, n. An instrument of torture operated by a person with cotton in his ears. There are two instruments that are worse than a clarionet -- two clarionets.
Emon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2003, 07:39 PM   #13
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

It IS mirrored, Emon. If you open the pk3, you can see that only half of the entire Stormtrooper is in the texture files. I think that the Stormtrooper from JK/MotS is better.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:18 PM   #14
Infinity Blade

Yeah.. it's pretty much all mirrored. "Technically" it's not.... The center piece on his butt and his backplate aren't mirrored, but to be honest they might as well have been.

I don't really mind the JO trooper that much, but I agree I that some parts (like the head) are a little odd in shape....

Kind of like what you would find on a crappy Hasbro 12" figure.

Long live Marmit!!!

P.S. - For those that don't know what I mean by Marmit, here's a little gem of Hap's. It's alot more expensive than Hasbro's figure, and isn't exactly a "toy" per se... but still.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/marmit-trooper.jpg

---

"To do something right takes Skill,
... To do something well takes Style!" - Me
Infinity Blade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2003, 01:08 AM   #15
HapSlash

Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
Uh, not really TK. You exaggerate a lot. It's not all mirrored, and you act as if the head is some misfigured lump of ****.
Yeah,... it's completely mirrored with the exception of the back of his torso. I've redone the textures so that the chest, abdomen, thighs, and shins will no longer be mirrored, but the rest of it is virtually the same as it was before.

I always thought that the JO helmet looked like some misfigured lump of ****, that's why I started to remodel it.

But to be honest it's not like I'm starting from scratch, They did do a passable job with it. I just think they should have had someone more familiar with Star Wars take a look at it before going ahead with it. Especially considering it's your main enemy for a lot of the game.

HapSlash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2003, 01:18 AM   #16
Katarn07
Rebel Agent

Current Game: Changing diapers count?
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinity Blade
Yeah.. it's pretty much all mirrored. "Technically" it's not.... The center piece on his butt and his backplate aren't mirrored, but to be honest they might as well have been.

I don't really mind the JO trooper that much, but I agree I that some parts (like the head) are a little odd in shape....

Kind of like what you would find on a crappy Hasbro 12" figure.

Long live Marmit!!!

P.S. - For those that don't know what I mean by Marmit, here's a little gem of Hap's. It's alot more expensive than Hasbro's figure, and isn't exactly a "toy" per se... but still.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/marmit-trooper.jpg
Haha, I always disliked Hasbro's stormtrooper head and yes, the JO one is very much like it. I hope Raven wasn't using them as a reference I know of Marmits but they are so much money I never looked into them. I didn't realize the head was redone

Umm, the legs on the JO stormtrooper are not mirrored. The shin guards have the appropriate different tops to them

"The Force is strong with Katarn...." - Darth Vader, Star Wars: Dark Forces
Katarn07 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2003, 01:39 AM   #17
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by HapSlash
Yeah,... it's completely mirrored with the exception of the back of his torso. I've redone the textures so that the chest, abdomen, thighs, and shins will no longer be mirrored, but the rest of it is virtually the same as it was before.

I always thought that the JO helmet looked like some misfigured lump of ****, that's why I started to remodel it.

But to be honest it's not like I'm starting from scratch, They did do a passable job with it. I just think they should have had someone more familiar with Star Wars take a look at it before going ahead with it. Especially considering it's your main enemy for a lot of the game.
HA! From the big guy himself! Told you I know about this issue. Don't question a Stormtrooper when he's talking about his uniform.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:06 AM   #18
HapSlash

Quote:
Originally posted by Katarn07
Umm, the legs on the JO stormtrooper are not mirrored. The shin guards have the appropriate different tops to them
The tops of the shin guards and the bottom of the leg plates are seperate pieces. And while these modeled pieces are different, the rest of them are identical and use the same texture.
HapSlash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2003, 04:38 AM   #19
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

I'm sorry for going off topic but, did Emon really get banned? Doesn't seem like he's the kind of person to get banned...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:39 PM   #20
The Count
Banned

Emon banned? Thats strange; its probably just a glitch or something has gone wrong with the forums; if he does complain about something he is usually justified in doing so. He always seems to be keeping it real.
The Count is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2003, 07:15 PM   #21
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Just look at his profile, it says "banned" all over it. I searched for all of his posts and found nothing against the rules and no edits by moderators in his latest posts. I would be pretty upset if they banned me by mistake.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Dark Forces Mod > Fixing the Stormtroopers