lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Burned out character wounds?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-16-2003, 09:15 AM   #1
Proto

Question Burned out character wounds?

I wonder if you noticed a small detail in character's texturing on this screensthot:

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like burned out saber-wounds, just like in AotC when Dooku has defeated Obi-Wan. Concerning JA using inmproved Ghoul2 system used also in SoF2 it is more than possible.

Now, if so, would it just disappear after few seconds or maybe after few duels your character would look like a piece of some burned roast . What do you think?

Proto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 09:35 AM   #2
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
I don't know what to think. You could very well be right. in my view, painskins are long overdue for this series anyway, so it would be great to see the physical damage you're dealing out with your weapons.

Very well spotted, and thanks for sharing it.
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
indeed, it would really be cool if you actually saw your wounds, and they would stay on until the end of the mission. But they kinda look big on the picture (if that's what it is), i think they should make them smaller.
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 01:15 PM   #4
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Sweet. It sure looks like that to me. Nice find!
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 02:58 PM   #5
Crazy_dog no.3
Banned

Ah, details borrowed from SOF2 and AVP2 *remembers shooting people's heads off with powerful guns*

Quentin Tarantino must direct the next James Bond film.
click here to sign the petition
Crazy_dog no.3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 03:06 PM   #6
The Truthful Liar
In-Transit

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Why is the pretty lady breaking her leg?

:P

"Whatever action is performed by a great man, common men follow in his footsteps. And whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues."
The Truthful Liar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 03:35 PM   #7
Jolts

her leg is broke because of poor key posing and even worse character rigging.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #8
Blademaster_109

thats cool, and a great idea devs

Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to Power. Power leads to Victory. Rage Channeled through aggression is unstoppable. the dark side offers unimaginable power. the dark side is stronger than the light.- OXM ADD

"Chinese people like to think of themselves as yello"-my chinese friend peter

"I am the unknow Jedi"-me
Blademaster_109 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 09:16 PM   #9
Iblis Reborn

assuming thats what it really is that would be great!
kinda lets you know where you stand in a duel
if your all bloodied up and the other guy doesnt have a scratch then you would know to either put it into overdrive or die
im hoping thats what it is!
Iblis Reborn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 09:37 PM   #10
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
this is not about the saber burns, but notice how none of the stances used look like they were taken from JO.

Tw'lek : duh!

bottom guy : if he's starting his swing then that's new, else it could be the end of a red stance swipe.

right guy : looks like he's gonna go "backhanded" looks cool.
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2003, 09:44 PM   #11
t3rr0r
Goblet of Fire

/me dreams of seeing a burn mark from a blaster bolt on someone's forehead

overlord
t3rr0r is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2003, 08:06 AM   #12
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
It looks like it might be a temporary effect. The dead guys on the ground aren't showing any damage marks that I can see.

I've looked at all of the other screenshots closely, and I can't find any more showing this kind of damage effect either. We need another screenie showing this to be sure...
Old 04-17-2003, 08:51 AM   #13
Proto

Quote:
The dead guys on the ground aren't showing any damage marks that I can see.
Just look at the left hand of sith laying behind Twi'lek player and compare it to the one in front of her. There's also something wrong with skinning of her leg in this area . However I do think that it would be rather a temporary effect (especially concerning PC).

And yes, this is the only screenshot where I've spotted this "burns" so far.

And I believe that if there would be saber burns in, there is no problem to include blaster hits as well .
Proto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #14
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Proto
Just look at the left hand of sith laying behind Twi'lek player and compare it to the one in front of her. There's also something wrong with skinning of her leg in this area . However I do think that it would be rather a temporary effect (especially concerning PC).
*plucks eyeballs out and gives them a quick spit and polish*

Ah yes, I can see that now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Of course, the obvious thing of notice in that screenshot is that they still haven't bothered to turn on realistic saber damage - no severed arms or heads. I hope it's still an option in the console - in fact, I hope they include it in the menu options this time around, so you can turn it on, and leave it permanently on. It adds a bit more realism to the game, IMHO, but it's a pain having to turn it on every time you play in JO....
Old 04-17-2003, 04:22 PM   #15
t3rr0r
Goblet of Fire

i think it should be a permanent effect until the corpse vanishes... seeing as in sof2, there isn't really a change in fps when there are or aren't any blood splatters on a person.

overlord
Old 04-17-2003, 04:28 PM   #16
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by t3rr0r
i think it should be a permanent effect until the corpse vanishes... seeing as in sof2, there isn't really a change in fps when there are or aren't any blood splatters on a person.
I totally agree. As the body is going to vanish anyway, it makes sense to make the damage permanent.

However, there's still the issue with your player character, and even with tougher opponents who remain alive for a long time. Will we just see the damage appear...and then a few seconds later disappear, like the saber scoring on walls? That would be a bit disappointing, IMHO. If they're going to show damage, it should remain until you kill an enemy and they vanish...and for your own character until you Heal yourself.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:32 PM   #17
shukrallah
White Dragon

if they stay, then creatures like that rancor monster would have lots of cuts on it. but it would still be cool. most star wars r Teen games, if the sabercombat is turned on, then the age thing might go higher. it should be a menu option.
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2003, 02:46 PM   #18
GhostLotus

Hmm i dont see how age limits would go up, in jo it was possible to cut off arms and legs(if you were extremely lucky/or had a mod on) so i dont see how saberscorchmarks are any worse.
GhostLotus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #19
SithLord13

Guess we won't know anything until E3 so close but so far away in another galaxy

Is the enemy of your enemy really your enemy or your friend ???
SithLord13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2003, 10:06 AM   #20
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by GhostLotus
Hmm i dont see how age limits would go up, in jo it was possible to cut off arms and legs(if you were extremely lucky/or had a mod on) so i dont see how saberscorchmarks are any worse.
I'd have to agree. Lots of people know about the cheat code for realistic saber combat, so it's hardly a secret. Anyone can turn it on. Besides, if they were really worried about it, they could always implement a password-protected system for reduced gore, like they did with SOF2. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer it if they did that...then I could just turn the realistic saber damage on in the menu and forget about it.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:00 PM   #21
t3rr0r
Goblet of Fire

i hope that there are as many dismemberment zones in ja as there is in sof2 sp... but i doubt they'll change them. :/

overlord
Old 04-19-2003, 02:11 PM   #22
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by t3rr0r
i hope that there are as many dismemberment zones in ja as there is in sof2 sp... but i doubt they'll change them. :/
How many dismemberment zones do you want, for goodness sake? I mean, in JO you can already slice heads, hands, feet, arms, and do a mid-section slice. That's plenty for me.

I just wish they'd fix the death animations for some of those...because it's a bit odd seeing the top half and bottom half of the body keel over at the same time - it's basically the same animation for when they're not sliced in half. Making it a bit more realistic in those terms would satisfy me.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:16 PM   #23
t3rr0r
Goblet of Fire

Quote:
Originally posted by StormHammer
How many dismemberment zones do you want, for goodness sake? I mean, in JO you can already slice heads, hands, feet, arms, and do a mid-section slice. That's plenty for me.
personally, i'd like the ability to slice someone right down the middle.
Quote:
I just wish they'd fix the death animations for some of those...because it's a bit odd seeing the top half and bottom half of the body keel over at the same time - it's basically the same animation for when they're not sliced in half. Making it a bit more realistic in those terms would satisfy me.
it'd be nice if, say, for one of the midsection separations the upper body was knocked off and the legs just kinda toppled over... and for head disbemberments, it'd be cool if the head rolled depending on how powerful the swing was.

overlord
Old 04-19-2003, 08:58 PM   #24
master_thomas

T3rr0r, that's sick. I like it .

Glow achieved 3/23/03 at 3:20 without any donations.

Current WIP: The Attack on Yavin series.

"Homer Simpson: 'Don't ever say that! Stupid risks make life worth while. Now, you mother is more stable and that's okay in small doses, but I'm always taking stupid risks. That's why I have so many adventures. Now what do you want to do?'

Lisa: 'Well, I would like to go to the museum, but it's closed.'

Homer: 'So breaking in would be a pretty stupid risk. What do ya say, honey? Feeling stupid?"
"Thomas" on MP
master_thomas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2003, 09:05 PM   #25
SithLord13

if anyone has seen the movie Resident Evil then they should be able to slice people in little squares like the lasers did to that guy that got kill last by them

Is the enemy of your enemy really your enemy or your friend ???
SithLord13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2003, 09:17 PM   #26
master_thomas

I may be wrong, but didn't the dismemberment in JK2 only occur at the model joints? For the truly full dismemberment to work, there must be a huge number of joints. That could be bad for fps.

Glow achieved 3/23/03 at 3:20 without any donations.

Current WIP: The Attack on Yavin series.

"Homer Simpson: 'Don't ever say that! Stupid risks make life worth while. Now, you mother is more stable and that's okay in small doses, but I'm always taking stupid risks. That's why I have so many adventures. Now what do you want to do?'

Lisa: 'Well, I would like to go to the museum, but it's closed.'

Homer: 'So breaking in would be a pretty stupid risk. What do ya say, honey? Feeling stupid?"
"Thomas" on MP
master_thomas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2003, 09:31 PM   #27
Blademaster_109

yeah dismemberment was cool

Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to Power. Power leads to Victory. Rage Channeled through aggression is unstoppable. the dark side offers unimaginable power. the dark side is stronger than the light.- OXM ADD

"Chinese people like to think of themselves as yello"-my chinese friend peter

"I am the unknow Jedi"-me
Blademaster_109 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2003, 11:31 AM   #28
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by SithLord13
if anyone has seen the movie Resident Evil then they should be able to slice people in little squares like the lasers did to that guy that got kill last by them
Er...does the word 'overkill' come to mind here?

master_thomas...yes, I believe you're right, it was at the joints. I tend to agree that adding too many severance points would have a detrimental effect on performance. I doubt we will see realistic saber damage in MP for that reason, again...
Old 04-20-2003, 12:14 PM   #29
MattJedi

I would like to see a thrust move leaving a hole!! Like Maul did to good old Qui-Gon, gotta love it!!!
MattJedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2003, 11:24 PM   #30
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by MattJedi
I would like to see a thrust move leaving a hole!! Like Maul did to good old Qui-Gon, gotta love it!!!
Now that is an excellent idea.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:06 AM   #31
Toa Tahu

I don't know whether anyone has noticed this or not,but notice the Twi'Lek's right arm wielding the saber,there's also a scorch mark there too.

When you slice a person, do you slice him with the fastest stroke, or do you forcefully incapacitate him?
Toa Tahu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2003, 07:16 AM   #32
SettingShadow
Beyond the sun

Quote:
Originally posted by Toa Tahu
I don't know whether anyone has noticed this or not,but notice the Twi'Lek's right arm wielding the saber,there's also a scorch mark there too.
ehm, the right arm is zoomed in on that pic, I think almost everyone has noticed it
SettingShadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2003, 08:13 AM   #33
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

I think it's the Force Rage effect, they did mention that the MP only powers would now be in SP too. so my guess it's the Force Rage effect coursing through that dark Jedi apprentice person.
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2003, 03:41 PM   #34
PrimoSidone

thats quit cool, but he got hit by a lightsaber.... aint that armor suppose to come off

PrimoSidone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2003, 04:55 PM   #35
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Just an FYI...the recent PCGamer article had some nice screenshots, and I found some further evidence of saber damage on the characters - so unless they decide to take it out...I reckon we'll get to see it in-game.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:41 PM   #36
t3rr0r
Goblet of Fire

those look so cool. i can't wait, and by the time ja is out i'll have a new video card.

overlord
Old 05-02-2003, 08:26 PM   #37
MuRaSaMuNe

Hmm maybe chop off someones arm to make them weaker? Or cut off their leg to slow them down... that'd be coo.
MuRaSaMuNe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2003, 10:22 PM   #38
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

That would make it somewhat like Bushido Blade, and now that I look at those dark apprentice gits close up..... seems like the skin is supposed to look that way all the time. Perhaps they're now using something glowy that gives regular dark jedi person followers Force abilities O_o who's to tell at this point.
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2003, 07:05 AM   #39
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!

Woa those look great!! Now you can actually SEE when you have hit your opponent. I've had several duels were I though I hit him hard, but he didn't have a scratch Now you can SEE the scratches, whoo hooo!!

HertogJan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2003, 10:50 AM   #40
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Current Game: ToR beta & Kotor
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Thumbs up

Thanks for those pics Stormy! This is one part about JO that I did not like - you couldn't see where you hit your opponent. I like being able to know that I am causing damage. It's so much more of a confidence builder to know that I'm destroying someone.

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > Burned out character wounds?